David Jones

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Zahra

Great part-time work

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Brisbane (Australia)

ProsHours can be quite flexible (discouraged but negotiable), managers are understanding and will try to work around your commitments. Ample training in customer service and friendliest staff I've ever met.

ConsStock management process can be extremely time consuming. Most managers are great but there are some who lack knowledge of what it's like on the selling floor, thus placing extra unnecessary loads on employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to buyers: take note of what's in demand - stop buying things we don't sell!

Imation Mobile Security delivers great products, but very late to Market

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Campbell, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great location. Employees are nice.

ConsNo accountability for product delivery & Ownership. Executive leadership doesn't support change, the individual trying to make a change gets push back.

Frequent firing. Lack of communication from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed change in leadership. Need to hold employees accountable to progress and deliver products on time to market.

David Jones

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood people awesome to work with

ConsHorrible Management, absolutely horrible management with no training

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to manage

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn basics of retail

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsReasonable brand, stepping stone to elsewhere. Your prospects are of course dependent on immediate line manager, but this is true of any company.

ConsDisorganization and outdated IT systems. Staff levels not what they were before, with customer levels descending to Myer's level. Communication with casual staff not good, but I think this is more a function of bad systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together on the systems front!

Good company to work for with excellent training and development programs.

ProsDavid Jones places a great emphasis on promoting within and they reward and recognise achievements and success. Generally a high staff morale and a friendly environment to work in with many opportunities to advance your career. Competitive pay rates and salaries.

ConsCertain processes seem backwards and time consuming such as stock management. Company is very focused on cost efficiencies which isn't too bad but sometimes at the expense of staffing and therefore occasionally placing extra loads on employees.

Good menswear department team

ProsThe line manager is very supportive and will help us with any work difficulties. I have a good team to work with.

ConsTimes can be challenging especially when there are not enough staff on to sufficiently serve customers, and be able to take breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease staff to customer ratio to give a better shopping experience for customers i.e be able to spend the time to help customers out.

I enjoyed the job but the company was quite disorganised

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Adelaide (Australia)

ProsThere were many positives about working at David Jones, the team environment, friendly manager and staff discount

ConsIt was quite disorganised and as a casual employee there were some weeks where I was given no shifts and others when I was given way too many

Worst company ever

Pros20% off staff discount

ConsThe store management support is terrible! I have been harassed by other staff members and no one from the management team has even attempted to help resolve these issues even after many supporting formal complaints. The entire store is severely understaffed which causes stress and agitation for all employees. Overall this is the worst company I have ever worked for and will soon be resigning.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproving understanding and support systems throughout the management team
    Coaching and rewarding good work ethic
    Performance managing those who do not achieve company results /or receive customer complaints/negative results
    Improving on shrinkage targets and stock loss but most importantly rostering more floor staff on to reduce stress and better the overall well being of employees

Inexcusable. UNacceptable

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood assortment of products... sometimes

ConsI was, or should i say am (because i still haven't "stopped") working at DJ's for months. All of a sudden, no shifts, no calls, NOTHING. I feel as though I have been taken for a ride, coming in and working terrible hours, not even being paid properly and doing favours, being told I would be paid for them but was not. This is a JOKE! I was put on the waiting list for almost more than half a year by the recruitment officer for my store who told me she loved me and I would be the first to be called if anything opened up - when something did I was excited to work in shoes/accessories but that excitement was short lived. I have not been given a single shift for months (my last shift was months ago and they only gave me one shift) They have not called to let me know that something has stopped them from being able to give me shifts, a heads up that they would have to stop giving me shifts, nor have they said sorry. I refuse to call them out of the moral of this situation. Lots of people warned me never to go to dj's to work but I didn't believe them. A bunch of untrustworthy people. I Would never go to work with them again. In my whole enrolment process my paperwork was lost, my superannuation account was put in the wrong name (missing out on my correct last name) and I was never sent my contract OR the link to complete my online orientation because "the email wouldn't send". Absolutely ridiculous. If they so happen to call me to get me to come into work I'll have probably found another job already - already have been in the market for a new one before this even happened - and even then I will say "Oh sorry, I pretty much forgot i was even working for you guys. Go find someone else" They call themselves this high up prestigious department store. My time there clearly shows differently.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together. Or at least have the decency to call people

This job can be demanding and unflexible for casual staff during peak season.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally the managers are understanding if you are a student seeking for a casual role. However, during peak season you will have to ensure that you are ready for more work even if you have other difficulties.

ConsThe working hours are too short, around 4-5 hours, and the break are quite limited for long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding on students, especially when they are casual staff.

Worked for David Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at David Jones reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for David Jones CEO Paul Zahra. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by David Jones employees.