David Jones

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
3.2

Paul Zahra

Great company, kind staff, good ethos, a company moving in the right direction.

Current Employee - Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Counter Manager

I have been working at David Jones part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard work is rewarded with extra hours, extra opportunity, as well as unpaid leave if requested in special circumstances.
    If you do well you are made to feel special.

Cons

Occasionally difficult to mediate between multiple managers. Excessive focus on the DJs Card Programme which occasionally intrudes into what should be the focus of the company i.e. Selling material products rather than financial services.

Generally the progress of my particular store has been excellent - I would hope the takeover by Woolworths SA has minimal impact on the moderate recovery of David Jones and I would hope Paul Zahra's role in the transformation is given due credit

Imation Mobile Security delivers great products, but very late to Market

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Campbell, CA

I worked at David Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great location. Employees are nice.

Cons

No accountability for product delivery & Ownership. Executive leadership doesn't support change, the individual trying to make a change gets push back.

Frequent firing. Lack of communication from management.

Need change in leadership. Need to hold employees accountable to progress and deliver products on time to market.

David Jones

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at David Jones

Pros

Good people awesome to work with

Cons

Horrible Management, absolutely horrible management with no training

learn how to manage

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the greatest place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canberra (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones

Pros

Great training provided during induction
    Staff discount
    Product knowledge - if offered

Cons

Stocktake - They had us doing stocktake during the daytime when the store was open. They should do it when the store is closed, customers kept on interrupting me during the day, so it was difficult to get the correct amounts. The manager made us work from 7am till 10:30pm and we had no dinner break.

Management - The management was quite poor, I felt like the managers did not have the greatest of people skills. Also my manager never signed off on my annual leave forms.

David Jones American Express Credit Card - The manager was pressuring us too much, to sign up as many cards as possible everyday. Customers would get cranky and felt like they were been harassed.

Understaffed - Customers would complain about there never been enough staff around to serve them

Been moved into another area that I have no product knowledge on - this happened when staff would call in sick and I would feel silly when asked a question about a product that I had no knowledge on, I was the only one in the area. Customers do not like it when you don't know what you are talking about.

Christmas blackout period - Unable to take time off from Nov - Jan

There is no work-life balance here. I would probably work here if I was a student just to pay the bills.
    There needs to be more support from the management and it would be nice if the management cared about their staff and looked after them.

Well structured company

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in store full time you get every second weekend off, this is great for moral. You get staff discount, and more on all black. they provide great intensive training so you know everything about your role and feel confident. The other staff are all professional and friendly.

Cons

Strict uniform and long hours over the holiday period. I worked until 12am over Christmas and was never asked how I was getting home.

Great part-time work

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours can be quite flexible (discouraged but negotiable), managers are understanding and will try to work around your commitments. Ample training in customer service and friendliest staff I've ever met.

Cons

Stock management process can be extremely time consuming. Most managers are great but there are some who lack knowledge of what it's like on the selling floor, thus placing extra unnecessary loads on employees.

Advice to buyers: take note of what's in demand - stop buying things we don't sell!

Good company to work for with excellent training and development programs.

I have been working at David Jones part-time

Pros

David Jones places a great emphasis on promoting within and they reward and recognise achievements and success. Generally a high staff morale and a friendly environment to work in with many opportunities to advance your career. Competitive pay rates and salaries.

Cons

Certain processes seem backwards and time consuming such as stock management. Company is very focused on cost efficiencies which isn't too bad but sometimes at the expense of staffing and therefore occasionally placing extra loads on employees.

Learn basics of retail

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable brand, stepping stone to elsewhere. Your prospects are of course dependent on immediate line manager, but this is true of any company.

Cons

Disorganization and outdated IT systems. Staff levels not what they were before, with customer levels descending to Myer's level. Communication with casual staff not good, but I think this is more a function of bad systems.

Get your act together on the systems front!

Good menswear department team

I have been working at David Jones

Pros

The line manager is very supportive and will help us with any work difficulties. I have a good team to work with.

Cons

Times can be challenging especially when there are not enough staff on to sufficiently serve customers, and be able to take breaks.

Increase staff to customer ratio to give a better shopping experience for customers i.e be able to spend the time to help customers out.

I enjoyed the job but the company was quite disorganised

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were many positives about working at David Jones, the team environment, friendly manager and staff discount

Cons

It was quite disorganised and as a casual employee there were some weeks where I was given no shifts and others when I was given way too many

Worked for David Jones? Contribute to the Community!