David Jones

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Paul Zahra

Well structured company

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in store full time you get every second weekend off, this is great for moral. You get staff discount, and more on all black. they provide great intensive training so you know everything about your role and feel confident. The other staff are all professional and friendly.

Cons

Strict uniform and long hours over the holiday period. I worked until 12am over Christmas and was never asked how I was getting home.

Great part-time work

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours can be quite flexible (discouraged but negotiable), managers are understanding and will try to work around your commitments. Ample training in customer service and friendliest staff I've ever met.

Cons

Stock management process can be extremely time consuming. Most managers are great but there are some who lack knowledge of what it's like on the selling floor, thus placing extra unnecessary loads on employees.

Advice to buyers: take note of what's in demand - stop buying things we don't sell!

Learn basics of retail

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reasonable brand, stepping stone to elsewhere. Your prospects are of course dependent on immediate line manager, but this is true of any company.

Cons

Disorganization and outdated IT systems. Staff levels not what they were before, with customer levels descending to Myer's level. Communication with casual staff not good, but I think this is more a function of bad systems.

Get your act together on the systems front!

Good company to work for with excellent training and development programs.

I have been working at David Jones part-time

Pros

David Jones places a great emphasis on promoting within and they reward and recognise achievements and success. Generally a high staff morale and a friendly environment to work in with many opportunities to advance your career. Competitive pay rates and salaries.

Cons

Certain processes seem backwards and time consuming such as stock management. Company is very focused on cost efficiencies which isn't too bad but sometimes at the expense of staffing and therefore occasionally placing extra loads on employees.

Good menswear department team

I have been working at David Jones

Pros

The line manager is very supportive and will help us with any work difficulties. I have a good team to work with.

Cons

Times can be challenging especially when there are not enough staff on to sufficiently serve customers, and be able to take breaks.

Increase staff to customer ratio to give a better shopping experience for customers i.e be able to spend the time to help customers out.

I enjoyed the job but the company was quite disorganised

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were many positives about working at David Jones, the team environment, friendly manager and staff discount

Cons

It was quite disorganised and as a casual employee there were some weeks where I was given no shifts and others when I was given way too many

Worst company ever

I have been working at David Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

20% off staff discount

Cons

The store management support is terrible! I have been harassed by other staff members and no one from the management team has even attempted to help resolve these issues even after many supporting formal complaints. The entire store is severely understaffed which causes stress and agitation for all employees. Overall this is the worst company I have ever worked for and will soon be resigning.

Improving understanding and support systems throughout the management team
    Coaching and rewarding good work ethic
    Performance managing those who do not achieve company results /or receive customer complaints/negative results
    Improving on shrinkage targets and stock loss but most importantly rostering more floor staff on to reduce stress and better the overall well being of employees

Inexcusable. UNacceptable

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good assortment of products... sometimes

Cons

I was, or should i say am (because i still haven't "stopped") working at DJ's for months. All of a sudden, no shifts, no calls, NOTHING. I feel as though I have been taken for a ride, coming in and working terrible hours, not even being paid properly and doing favours, being told I would be paid for them but was not. This is a JOKE! I was put on the waiting list for almost more than half a year by the recruitment officer for my store who told me she loved me and I would be the first to be called if anything opened up - when something did I was excited to work in shoes/accessories but that excitement was short lived. I have not been given a single shift for months (my last shift was months ago and they only gave me one shift) They have not called to let me know that something has stopped them from being able to give me shifts, a heads up that they would have to stop giving me shifts, nor have they said sorry. I refuse to call them out of the moral of this situation. Lots of people warned me never to go to dj's to work but I didn't believe them. A bunch of untrustworthy people. I Would never go to work with them again. In my whole enrolment process my paperwork was lost, my superannuation account was put in the wrong name (missing out on my correct last name) and I was never sent my contract OR the link to complete my online orientation because "the email wouldn't send". Absolutely ridiculous. If they so happen to call me to get me to come into work I'll have probably found another job already - already have been in the market for a new one before this even happened - and even then I will say "Oh sorry, I pretty much forgot i was even working for you guys. Go find someone else" They call themselves this high up prestigious department store. My time there clearly shows differently.

Get your stuff together. Or at least have the decency to call people

This job can be demanding and unflexible for casual staff during peak season.

I worked at David Jones part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally the managers are understanding if you are a student seeking for a casual role. However, during peak season you will have to ensure that you are ready for more work even if you have other difficulties.

Cons

The working hours are too short, around 4-5 hours, and the break are quite limited for long shifts.

Be more understanding on students, especially when they are casual staff.

I had a positive experience, gaining lots of experience in a variety of buyership's.

Current Employee - Buyer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Buyer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can work your way up from assistant buyer to buyer if you are the right fit for the company and demonstrate your ability and willingness to do the job.
    Great team environment.
    Develop a great skill set that is valuable in the retail sector.

Cons

There is a lack of work flexibility (not encouraged to work from home, can't work part time). This only really becomes an issue if you end up having children.

Offer some part time roles so that you can keep your more experienced staff.