David Jones Reviews

Updated April 11, 2015
50 reviews filtered by

1. Poor leadership skills by senior management, terrible working culture facilitated by top tier management.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing colleagues, the people on your team are supportive and friendly, they will help the time go past quicker and support you through the tough times. Flexible with working hours for students and a great employee discount.

Cons

Fake superiority embedded into the culture by management to make front line sales staff feel patronised and used. Sales managers and supervisors are rarely competent, simple training in business administration and basic leadership skills would go a long way.

So much focus on David Jones financial services. The 'hard sell' for the David Jones American Express card bestowed upon front line sales to deliver is disgusting. Ask any sales manager the last time they delivered a Amex Card, the answer would be consistently poor - Great example you're setting.

Terrible, cheap Christmas parties where they ask the staff to pay for entry and two drinks each. No real appreciation for staff efforts, unless your management of course.

Advice to Management

The majority of people who work for your company are dissatisfied, I dare you to conduct an independent employee engagement survey for a rude awakening.

Most of the competent people leave because they cannot stand the pretentious culture and the unrealistic expectations that working for this company requires.

Stop focussing on what Myer is doing and inject resources into the serious internal potholes in your company.

2. Fair work environment, no real perks (much like all retail)

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff are great and generally caring. Company is flexible in terms of leave.

Cons

Management have OCD about folding clothes and how visual merchandising looks. Yes it's important but they never stop harassing you if they're not happy.

Advice to Management

Give staff more freedom to give their ideas.

3. Great Team on the shop floor but no support from top management whatsoever

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at David Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are not considering a career in David Jones and only want to get by your university life, great place to be! Most staff members are friendly and the work culture is great.
    Great commission Structure as long as you can get an AMEX card.

Cons

-Promotion bias, you need to be in the little circle they have.
    -Need to sell an DJAMEX card to start earning commission.
    -Store top management does not care what you do, all they care is what the head office say and you need to act accordingly.

Advice to Management

Understanding what individual store culture and the target customers are.
    Do not threaten staff and value your staff to actually retain some staffs.
    Try to listen to advice where staffs are rpoviding

5. Love

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had an amazing time working there, and it helped me become who I am today. An amazing experience and I recommend it if you want experience and you can even stay there and build on what you started.

Cons

Lots of hard work and it takes a while build yourself up. There are not many benefits when you just start and it may be hard for some people to balance their work and life in the beginning but it is worth it in the end.

6. Not a bad place to work at if you aren't planning to stay long.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They're good at giving flexible schedules with regular hours for part-time staff but ability to flex up during busier periods. I wouldn't recommend being a casual here as they rarely get hours in some departments and can go weeks without a single shift.

Cons

Almost always shorted staffed
    Customers constantly complaining at your for staffing levels
    No support from management

7. David Jones offers flexibility, reasonable wages, good discounts and a good working environment

Current Employee - Salesperson in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of location, hours
    Great discounts across a broad range of products
    Nice uniform
    Accommodating managers
    Well presented workplace
    Broad range of products/ departments to work in

Cons

Product training is limited both initially and on-going
    Award Wages aren't anything special
    KPIs can be difficult to achieve in the current economy

Advice to Management

Increase training, encourage frontline staff to meet KPIs to enable commissions, bonuses to supplement fairly low award wages.

8. Great company, kind staff, good ethos, a company moving in the right direction.

Current Employee - Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Counter Manager

I have been working at David Jones part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded with extra hours, extra opportunity, as well as unpaid leave if requested in special circumstances.
    If you do well you are made to feel special.

Cons

Occasionally difficult to mediate between multiple managers. Excessive focus on the DJs Card Programme which occasionally intrudes into what should be the focus of the company i.e. Selling material products rather than financial services.

Advice to Management

Generally the progress of my particular store has been excellent - I would hope the takeover by Woolworths SA has minimal impact on the moderate recovery of David Jones and I would hope Paul Zahra's role in the transformation is given due credit

9. Not the greatest place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones

Pros

Great training provided during induction
    Staff discount
    Product knowledge - if offered

Cons

Stocktake - They had us doing stocktake during the daytime when the store was open. They should do it when the store is closed, customers kept on interrupting me during the day, so it was difficult to get the correct amounts. The manager made us work from 7am till 10:30pm and we had no dinner break.

Management - The management was quite poor, I felt like the managers did not have the greatest of people skills. Also my manager never signed off on my annual leave forms.

David Jones American Express Credit Card - The manager was pressuring us too much, to sign up as many cards as possible everyday. Customers would get cranky and felt like they were been harassed.

Understaffed - Customers would complain about there never been enough staff around to serve them

Been moved into another area that I have no product knowledge on - this happened when staff would call in sick and I would feel silly when asked a question about a product that I had no knowledge on, I was the only one in the area. Customers do not like it when you don't know what you are talking about.

Christmas blackout period - Unable to take time off from Nov - Jan

Advice to Management

There is no work-life balance here. I would probably work here if I was a student just to pay the bills.
    There needs to be more support from the management and it would be nice if the management cared about their staff and looked after them.

10. Well structured company

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in store full time you get every second weekend off, this is great for moral. You get staff discount, and more on all black. they provide great intensive training so you know everything about your role and feel confident. The other staff are all professional and friendly.

Cons

Strict uniform and long hours over the holiday period. I worked until 12am over Christmas and was never asked how I was getting home.

11. Great part-time work

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours can be quite flexible (discouraged but negotiable), managers are understanding and will try to work around your commitments. Ample training in customer service and friendliest staff I've ever met.

Cons

Stock management process can be extremely time consuming. Most managers are great but there are some who lack knowledge of what it's like on the selling floor, thus placing extra unnecessary loads on employees.

Advice to Management

Advice to buyers: take note of what's in demand - stop buying things we don't sell!