David Weekley Homes Reviews

1. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teambuilding, salary, room to grow, teach backs, customer service driven, beautiful homes

Cons

ever changing, no weekends off, management changes constantly, loose focus of tenured employees

2. Builder

Current Employee - Builder in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Builder in Tampa, FL

I have been working at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits. Friendly management team.

Cons

Short staff for work.

Builder Review

Former Employee - Builder
    Former Employee - Builder

I worked at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a good company to learn the business. They have a good training program and maintain thorough "checks and balances" to ensure you are on path with their processes and delivering quality homes. It is a large relatively stable company with a lot of support personnel and the ability to provide some stability with market downturns. I would recommend this company for entry level experience. The company also offers a good 401k program, good benefits and a decent health insurance program.

Cons

Compensation- any nominal pay increase is difficult to earn- even for top performers. You can expect a extra large workload, long hours, high stress and a performance standard so lofty you may find it unrealistic, all for less than you could be earning elsewhere. Construction build time templates- have not changed or been updated since prior to the recession in 2008. Unrealistic build time templates equate to less earning potential and unrealistic upper management expectations. Operating Sytems- The operating system are dinosaurs. "BOSS" the builder software has not seen any significant updates in nearly a decade. It is dated and can be extremely inefficient and time consuming Work/Life Balance- The high volume, high expectation environment can lead to a lot of stress. I was routinely bringing this stress home with me. It was a non stop grind. And, on occasion, I found it difficult to balance and maintain an enjoyable quality of life. High Turnover- It was often joked that "David Weekley Homes has trained just about everyone in the industry." I did not understand why management would joke about this then, and I don't get it now. Because, it is in part true. But, the reasons that make it true should not be so easily dismissed by management. They are unwilling/unable to retain builders. Some entry level builders just arent cut out for this as a career. However, many builders they hire are, and have past building experience and success. Most just cant make it long at Weekley- due to job requirements/demands/stresses/often unrealistic expectations and relatively low compensation. Weekley has difficulty retaining the younger builders (25-35) for more than 1-2 years, and they lose a lot of tenured guys with 5+ years experience. They have an equally difficult time retaining sales personnel. They always have 2 person sales offices, and it's common they have 3 person sales offices. It is also fairly common for the talented sales people get frustrated with their lack of earning potential in this system and move on. Customer Service & Involvement- Let me explain. Customer service is important. But, the level, standards and management of this at David Weekley Homes verges on insanity. You will bend over backwards, you will break your back to earn a "Definitely Would Recommend" on every customer satisfaction survey. Because if you don't, and you earn anything less, your job may be/may soon be in jeopardy. With sales & builder teams very aware of these consequences, be prepared for construction/selection changes at any stage of construction, an average of 4-6 customer meetings thru the process, weekly phone calls to each customer, customer delight action plans for each customer, and a culture where the customer is truly always right. For the builders, this is typically at your expense (in time and hassle factor). Be prepared for the stresses of earning a "Definitely Would Recommend" from every customer every time to justify your existence.

Advice to Management

If your culture, really still is your culture, focus more on your people. Not just talk, but develop real/actual actual action plans to retain your personel. Understand and adapt to the market. Be proactive with market changes- employee work load, build time templates, bonus structures and employee salary. "Guess we need to hire another one" is not a business plan to uphold a quality company culture. Re evaluate the work load + processes equation. Reduce/remove/simplify the process to support your field team. Pay to retain.

Builder

Former Employee - Home Builder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Home Builder in Houston, TX

I worked at David Weekley Homes (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, company culture, training program

Cons

low pay for level of work, unrealistic expectations in production, incapable of making changes to identified problems with plans, take-offs, PO's, etc. Micro-managed in every aspect of daily work.

Advice to Management

Spend less time in meetings. Stop focusing so much on numbers and data so you can look good in a meeting. Pay employees what they are worth. Offer better pay to trades to improve quality.

Overall - great company to work for.

I worked at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with them for nearly 10 years and for most of them I absolutely loved it and planned on retiring there. The 401k match if fantastic, the profit sharing is very good, the company motto of "Do the Right Thing" is easy to get behind, and most of the people are "bleeding Weekley blue" and that makes it an encouraging place to work if you buy in.

Cons

I don't know if it's nationwide, but in some markets the company's integrity began to get pushed aside in favor of contribution margin. New management positions started coming from outside the company. More and more as they got bigger and bigger they have started to feel more like the large public builders. Gone are the trips to Hawaii, gone is the sincere appreciation for your dedication, gone is your confidence as an employee that your customers, the homeowners, will be taken care of no matter what...they've been replaced with good old fashioned corporate greed.

Advice to Management

Groom your managers and hire from within where the DWH culture is already a part of them, don't bring in a new braggart every few years to try and mold the company around his ego.

#14 on Forbes Top 100 companies to work for in the U.S. For a reason!!

Current Employee - Construction
    Current Employee - Construction

I have been working at David Weekley Homes full-time

Pros

I have been with the company for over 11 years and plan to retire here. I have worked for other companies and builders and there is such a stark difference that it's not even worth comparing. This company has amazing tenure and an identifiable culture that is extremely focused on enhancing the lives of the employees, customers, and community. I come from a sports background, so the team environment and structure is very familiar and comfortable for me. I also admire how much time the company invest in the hiring and training process to ensure it has the best of the best working for us which enables us to all count on each other for reaching our goals and share success together. It's the largest "privately held" home builder in the U.S. And has been around for 40 years, so you get the large company feel and benefits, but without stockholder pressure to make rash decisions. This company has truly changed my life for the better and I can only wish for anyone outside this company that they find a company to work for with similar values and people.

Cons

I can't think of one con. It's an amazing company from the top down.

Advice to Management

Keep walking the walk and doing what you do everyday and this company will last 100+ years no doubt, and will enhance many more lives like it has enhanced mine.

8. Great company, terrible management

I worked at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, great corporate mentality, great benefits

Cons

Terrible middle management, poor planning, disconnected from labor force, reactive rather than proactive, survey rather than outcome driven

Advice to Management

I don't know how my former division is staying afloat, but the management is completely disconnected from the work force and the customers.

9. Company values employees!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, support, salary plus commission structure, positive environment

Cons

Hours are not 8-5 Monday-Friday. Moral off team depends on manager, but the majority are good!

10. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at David Weekley Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company believes in its culture and it shows in everything they do. Management goes this intensive training that never ends. Hiring for the culture fit is a number priority. Our hiring process is so in depth that by the time you can get hired on here we know your good fit for the company. That means not only are you a good fit but so all the people you work with. You know how most companies have 80% of the work done by 20% of the team members? Well not here, working with people that are happy and motivated as well as qualified to do their job makes all the difference.

Cons

The location is not the best. The cost of housing around the office is insane. You have to move many miles away for affordable housing and the traffic is horrific.

Advice to Management

keep on staying true to the culture.

Crass mentality - Not good if you are well educated

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, good chairs

Cons

Management talks a great work environment but doesn't provide it. Just came across as low class to me even in their corporate office. Some of them don't even have college degrees and show it in the way they deal with others. Took me 1/2 hour to explain a simple concept to manager when everyone else got it in 2 mins. Maybe posturing?

Advice to Management

If you hire good people, get out of their way and let them perform. If you're looking to protect your fiefdom, then you are doing the company a disservice.

RSS Feed </> Embed