David's Bridal

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.5

Pamela B. Wallack

Pros
  • Working with brides to make their wedding dreams come true (in 8 reviews)

• Seeing a bride find the gown of her dreams was very rewarding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Becoming full time was very rare and that was the only way to receive benefits (in 23 reviews)

• They only hire part time with commision (which is a hit or miss) (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stylist

Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Completely different than most retail jobs. You get to form relationships with customers. Help bride find her perfect dress. It is a sales position and if you are not out going, make relationships quickly, are a good listener and love to dress people you will succeed.

Cons

Not clicking with a customer or her friends/family can make or break the sale.
    Management can have difficulty with change.
    As in anywhere that you work gossip can be an issue at times.

Instead of talking about or simply not doing your job cause employees to not grow individually. Instead of complaining about your team take proper steps to grow ALL employees not just favorites!

Slavery

Former Employee - Bridal Sales Consultant in Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Bridal Sales Consultant in Norridge, IL

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-tiered commission system. the more you sold the higher percentage commission you can make.
    -room to grow within the company if you are a top seller

Cons

-not many full time positions
    -crazy hours!
    -worst of all: no runners etc. to help the consultants on the busy weekends. you may have 2-3 brides at all and have no time to clean up after yourself before your next appointment.
    -endless cleaning again (everything done by the consultants) after we close. stay an extra 1-2 hours

promote your top sellers to full time!!! have runners to assist the consultants during busy season and weekends. have these runners also help clean after closing. everyone leaves because they burn out so quickly. with such high turnover, how can you mold employees into top salespeople?

Positive experience overall, good pay, friendly work environment.

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Norridge, IL

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay: hourly plus commission. Management very approachable, friendly and understanding.

Cons

Commission is based on employee productivity. You have to sell a certain amount to even be qualified to make commission. Lots of pressure to meet goals. The worst part was following up with customers via phone calls- lots of pressure on consultants to make phone calls- constantly.

Get rid of the phone calls. Only call customers when necessary.

Wedding Consultant at David's Bridal

Current Employee - Wedding Consultant in Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Wedding Consultant in Norridge, IL

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Supportive management
    Rewarding job
    Ability to work one on one with customers

I've worked in retail since I was 16, and by far this is the most enjoyable job I've had. It is a super rewarding job where you really get to make a difference in the customer's life (versus just selling someone a random t-shirt.)
    The management at my location is the best I've ever had! They provide extensive training and are very willing to teach you anything you need to know and gladly answer any questions. Most employees are even cross trained into receiving or customer service positions. If you are having a difficult time selling, managers will work one on one with you to help you improve.

Cons

Low pay
    Weekends are the busiest (hard to take off)
    Slow season

Base pay is $8.50 in Chicago and then you have to sell an average of $140/hr to pay the minimum commission. Being a Wedding Consultant is actually very hard work; especially on your body... carrying heaving gowns around all day. It would be nice to get a higher base pay.

Consultants work super hard.. wish the base pay was higher. It would also be nice if there were more full-time opportunities available.

Not at All What I Expected.

Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-You get to help other women in one of the most important times of their lives.
    -It's really fun to see new dresses, try on the latest styles, and learn all you can about wedding gowns.
    -When a bride finds "the dress" it's always rewarding.

Cons

-Overbooked and understaffed. It always seemed like there were too many consultants at the slowest times and too few consultants on our busiest days. Often expect to work with more than one bride, often a party of someone else's bridesmaids at the same time. And expect the customers to get upset at you, because they want all your attention (and they should get it!)

-Expect other people to take your sales.

-Don't expect to make much commission. One thing I loved about DB as a bride was that it was affordable, but that means that the consultants have to sell a lot of dresses before they even start to make the minimum amount of commission. Don't believe them when they tell you in the interview that you'll probably be making around $14/hour including commission. It's not true.

-Don't expect to get breaks. Any breaks. No lunch breaks. No short breaks. Nothing. Except for some reason, the girls who smoked always got smoke breaks. This is NOT a good place to work if you have any health concerns or if you're pregnant.

-Do expect to work longer than you were scheduled to, and be expected to be responsible for cleaning the store, too. They don't hire anyone to clean the bathrooms...after a day of lugging those dresses around, you have to clean while your manager hangs out at the front desk.

-Do expect to get burned out very quickly.

-Do expect to get in trouble for a. not encouraging someone to spend WELL ABOVE their budget. b. not encouraging someone to go into credit card debt when they have told you numerous times that they don't want your credit card. c. not making enough sales.

-Also, expect girls who are getting married 2 years from now to come in "just to look" and spend 2 hours of your time with no intention of ever setting foot back in your store. Also expect to have to call those girls once every two weeks even though you know they'll never be back.

-Expect some brides to think that they're on "Say Yes to the Dress."

-PLEASE help your consultants provide the kind of customer service they want to provide!!!!
    All the girls I worked with were really nice! We really cared about brides and giving them a great experience, but we couldn't because we were always overbooked and overworked, and constantly worrying about whether or not we were going to make commission. Here's a hint. Keep your consultants happy, and they will keep your customers happy.

-Get some cuter Mother of the Bride dresses... seriously? I can't think of how many mothers I tried to help find a dress that ended up laughing at the selection and walking out of the store.

Very demeaning and unprofessional team, but great consultants!

Former Employee - Service Supervisor in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Service Supervisor in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at David's Bridal

Pros

The best part of working at Davids Bridal was working with great wedding consultants! Those girls work so hard and most were such a pleasure to work with! Also they do offer a wonderful benefits package to their fulltime employees.

Cons

The management team does not appreciate their employees, especially those who go above and beyond what is expected of them! There is a huge problem with favoritism in this company and you will never make it unless you know someone in management. I was a service supervisor, but was told that I was not working out, and basically asked to step down after the new assistant manager brought in her friend to interview for my position.r

Management should respect their employees since they are the ones who make the store money.

David's Bridal Photos