David's Bridal

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

Pamela B. Wallack

Pros
  • Working with brides to make their wedding dreams come true (in 8 reviews)

• Seeing a bride find the gown of her dreams was very rewarding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Becoming full time was very rare and that was the only way to receive benefits (in 23 reviews)

• They only hire part time with commision (which is a hit or miss) (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Find something else

Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-better retail hours
    -helping brides find their dream gowns

Cons

-it is hit or miss with commission and when you do commission you receive a small percentage of your sales

-Fix commission structure...consultants work hard and should receive a higher percentage of their sales
    -Create a screening process for incoming brides so that consultants don't have to waste their time working with people who just want to play dress up and have no intention of seriously buying

Loved this job!

I worked at David's Bridal

Pros

I loved meeting new brides and hearing their stories. The most rewarding moments pertain to the people not the dresses in this job. I had an amazing team to work with too so that helped a lot!! Commission is always nice too.

Cons

I worked a lot of hours and really hard to make commission. If you don't meet your sales goal you don't make enough money for the amount of work you put in.

Make base pay higher for consultants. Spend more money on training. Bring back the management training program!

seamstress

Current Employee - Seamstress in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Seamstress in Danvers, MA

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the fact that I can help brides pick and fit the dress of their dreams. Everyone is so friendly and happy. Wonderful work environment.

Cons

Not that it is a negative but hours change week to week. So far no negatives.

Stylist

Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Completely different than most retail jobs. You get to form relationships with customers. Help bride find her perfect dress. It is a sales position and if you are not out going, make relationships quickly, are a good listener and love to dress people you will succeed.

Cons

Not clicking with a customer or her friends/family can make or break the sale.
    Management can have difficulty with change.
    As in anywhere that you work gossip can be an issue at times.

Instead of talking about or simply not doing your job cause employees to not grow individually. Instead of complaining about your team take proper steps to grow ALL employees not just favorites!

Not worth it

Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have had some really great brides. It is so great to be able to form personal relationships with customers. It's retail but it's high end retail. Commission CAN be awesome if you just happen to have a great pay period and sell a lot. I've made $20 an hour before.

Cons

To be completely straightforward, this job just isn't worth it. Half the time it's almost impossible to make commission and you're stuck with $7.25 an hour after working your butt off for the pay period. Management doesn't seem to understand that some brides just won't buy after their first time. They expect you to make the sale and if you don't, you're expected to set them a comeback appointment and call them until they come in and purchase. They expect you to completely accessorize EVERY bride from head to toe in order to sell more, when a lot of brides don't want a veil or jewelry or a sash. I was not properly trained. I was basically thrown in and then yelled at every time I didn't have good sales. My manager kept saying, "You really need to start being more aggressive." HOW? I didn't know how to sell… Teach me HOW to make the sale and how to be more aggressive instead of just scolding me. Even when I finally figured out how to close sales and started earning commission, I would get in trouble for not selling the right things. I would be proud of myself for selling 10 bridal gowns in one week but would instead get scolded for not selling enough bras and slips. I have never been rewarded or congratulated for good sales. EVER. Just always told what I could do better or what wasn't good enough.
    Also, there are absolutely NO benefits of working here. None. I mean, you get a 25% discount but unless you're getting married soon, it's pretty useless. You also don't really get breaks. On busy Saturday's or weekdays where you're the only consultant there, you can't take a break. Oh, but you're super hungry? Too bad. A bride just showed up and you have to commit the next two hours helping her find her wedding dress before you can eat.
    Your bride didn't buy and she scheduled an appointment to come back on a day that you're not scheduled? Guess what, you've gotta go in ON YOUR DAY OFF for the appointment or if she buys that day, you don't get the sale. I can't count how many times I have gone in on my day off for a bride, or stayed two hours late for a bride, when they don't buy. It is so frustrating. Time seriously is money at this job.
    Also, being that the stylists are only part time, sometimes we only get about 20 hours a week, sometimes less. The shifts are scheduled very inconveniently, as you usually only work 3 or 4 hour shifts, unless it's Saturday, where usually you will work open to close, which is absolutely draining and exhausting. I ALWAYS work 5 days a week even if I'm only working 20 hours, which is ridiculous. I should have more days off and not have to go to work almost every single day for a measly 4 hour shift.

Overall I just really don't recommend working here to ANYONE. I have never seen so many customer complaints towards any company as I have seen for this one. It doesn't surprise me because the employees are underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. I work so hard and it almost never pays off.

It's super easy to talk bad about a company or a job when you don't like the management. In this case, I absolutely LOVE all three of my managers, so writing this review is hard. I only felt compelled to because I feel so strongly about how horrid this company really is.

This company is going downhill fast… Something drastic needs to happen or America's biggest bridal retailer isn't going to be the biggest anymore.

It started great but then reality set in and it went downhill from there.

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in North Attleboro, MA
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in North Attleboro, MA

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with brides about their special day

Cons

Pay
    Commission with unrealistic goals
    Returns affect commissions
    Other associates stole your sales

Be honest from the start that commission is very hard to reach the goals
    Let employees work more hours a day verses about 3-4 hour shifts

Only the strong survive

Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Natick, MA

I worked at David's Bridal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're a young female, that hasn't yet had her wedding day, this is a great way to get exposure to the fashion side of weddings.

Cons

If you have strong sales capabilities, you're better off finding a corporate job where the commission is worth it, and even when it isn't, you base pay is still enough for you to survive. Weddings/ bridal sales are definitely seasonal so this is not a job you can rely on to pay the bills year round.

Up the base pay for your salespeople- why do the people at the front desk make twice as much than the girls in the back hustling?

Overall I had a wonderful experience working at David's Bridal

Former Employee - Bridal Sales Consultant in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Bridal Sales Consultant in Abilene, TX

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the employees were part time but this company does promote from within when they can. It was a fun job. Getting to help a person pick out her dress for one of the most important days in her life was very rewarding. Get to play with beautiful dresses all day.....what's not to love about that. Nancy was the Manager of the store I worked at. She made it a great place to work. She loved her job and it showed.

Cons

My only problem with this job was that in the town where I worked it seemed to be very seasonal. The job is part hourly pay and part commissions. During the busy season (Jan - July) you can make good money. But during the rest of the year it was difficult. I could not pay bills on this job 6 months out of the year. I don't know if it's because it was in a smaller town or what. Maybe the stores in bigger areas like Dallas/Ft Worth are more consistent.

I thought management did a great job.

it was a great experience

I worked at David's Bridal

Pros

it was a great experience to be apart of brides special days!

Cons

the base pay is minimum wage and unless you did well in the few hours you had to work you didn't commission.

Seamstress

Current Employee - Seamstress
    Current Employee - Seamstress

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I never liked this job ,it is the worst job in my life.

Cons

They treated us like a slave, The seamstress has to clean the bathrooms,sweeping the floor and squeeze the mop with her hands, no gloves because my manager said no gloves to use even later on I know that there is a gloves

Clean the carpet with a lint and take all the thread from the carpet with a scotch tape without using the vacuum because the threads will go around the vacuum brush.

The seamstress never take a break for 15 minutes every 2 hours.

her job is work as she have 8 hands ,
    -schedule appointment
    -pinning the dress
    -sewing the dress
    -sometimes steaming if the presser isn't there
    -help in sales
    -help the bridal consultant
    -the most important is they overcharge the bride in alteration under the name of she needs it ,and the smart bride that she knows what she is really needs.
    - Not allowed to take any tips also there is no commission or bonuses or nothing and the increases with cents after year and half from starting..
    -During the low season which is around 6 month they didn't give you hours.it can be around 7 hours per week.
    -they didn't pay for clothes.
    -Productivity has to be over 100% if you can get 130 % will be ok

I will leave the decision for you to choose .
    I wish I can put not one star but stars with minus.

David's Bridal Photos