David's Bridal

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
2.6

Pamela B. Wallack

Pros
  • Working with brides to make their wedding dreams come true (in 8 reviews)

• Seeing a bride find the gown of her dreams was very rewarding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Becoming full time was very rare and that was the only way to receive benefits (in 23 reviews)

• They only hire part time with commision (which is a hit or miss) (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Love My Job (:

Current Employee - Junior Stylist in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Stylist in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to share personal experience with Bride and it's nice to be apart of the day that little girls dream about.

Cons

There's nothing negative about Davids bridal .

Sales Consultant/Stylist

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Southaven, MS

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1)flexible hours 2)build relationships with customers 3)knowledge of bridal inventory and special occasion attire 4) experience in sales

Cons

1)pressure to meet productivity 2)you will have to learn all jobs (CSR) 3)occasional bridezilla

My manager pressures me, in particular to meet productivity. During the holiday months before bridal christmas are really slow unless you have had clients whose weddings are during these months. Therefore it is much harder for new stylist to meet productivity ($140/hours worked) in Davids Bridal values we are encouraged to build long lasting relationships with customers. Train managers to honor these values versus just pushing sales.

Mixed feelings, always debating should I stay or should I go....

Current Employee - Alterations Manager
    Current Employee - Alterations Manager

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement within the company if you show interest. Networking on a vertical level is surprisingly easy. Excellent benefits IF you're full time.

Cons

As a manager, I am only treated like one when they need someone to blame. It may be due to my younger age, but my tenure and past experience with the company SHOULD cancel that out. Very much like high school cliques, you have to be buddy buddy and fake with people to stay in the loop, EVEN in the management circle.

Work on better training for new employees, as well as your 'trickling down' of information. Instead of "beautifying" your store, work on educating your staff and updating their ancient everyday information handling systems.

A bad district manager destroyed my love of Bridal

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at David's Bridal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This was my dream job, I worked as an assistant manager for 11 and a half years and I loved it. Davids pays better than most for managers and working with Brides on their most important day was exciting and fun everyday. The constant busy pace of a high volume store made everyday different and being empowered to handle situations with customers at the store level kept your days full.

Cons

The company was bought by new owners and made many changes that were not good for employees and customers. Stylists were all made part time and they took away benefits and commission. The corporate customer service dept was dissolved store hours were changed randomly through out the company. The internal customer was completely disregarded and held no value "everyone is replaceable" became the new motto. They are now concerned with social media feedback get yelps and refund any and all negative comments regardless of reason, All managers in my store worked there for over 11 years and many in my district as well, long term managers are being pushed out due to cost cutting measures.

Losing experience for cheaper staff is a mistake, taking a disposable view of employees is not good. When I started long term employees were valued and much was done to keep them on board. The district manager I had at the end destroyed my love of Davids Bridal, she was the worst"leader" she just complain and write up, no offering of solutions or coaching. Plus she would had different sets of standards for different stores that made it impossible to work for her

Rewarding job, but pay is a RIDICULOUS

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping a bride find her wedding dress is such a great experience. I got to meet all sorts of people. Being excited for and with a bride was very fun and hearing about how she got engaged and wedding plans was really awesome. Gained lots of knowledge of fashion styling which is why i applied to the job. And getting more familiar with the bridal industry was really cool and interesting. I loved the environment and was generally really happy to be at work. I love fashion and really loved being around dresses and accessories. Really fun dressing up brides and helping customers find dresses to wear to events. It was very rewarding in a more personal way. its a really awesome feeling knowing you were a part of someone special day. I learned a great deal about the sales industry. My favorite job I've had so far.

Cons

Not much room for advancement unless you're a managers favorite. Even if you have all the qualifications and drive to be promoted, managers won't let you attempt to if they don't like you or feel threatened by you. It is a commission based job, but only if you sell according to their minimum per week/pay period. Less then 20 hrs. a week and yet you're expected to make high sales numbers. Even if you do hit commission range they still dock base pay a couple dollars. so commission is barely anything. If you're not being pushy enough, you are encouraged to be more pushy and dishonest just to make a sale even a small one. Turnover rate is really high. The 2 1/2 years I was there I seen dozens of girls come and go. Having to be dishonest to customers especially about the most "the most important day of their life" never made me feel good. If your sales are low they will let you go no matter how much you've committed to the company, or how long you've been there. Other stylists can be catty over sales and therefore girl with highest sales is usually favored by managers. Also, you're basically running your own business, so you're required to call customers everyday. Most of the time they don't answer or get angry that we're bugging them, and usually say if they had a concern or question they'd call us. Basically you're an annoying telemarketer just trying to sell anything and everything you can. Expectations for selling is crazy high. They don't see how any person that walks into the store can walk out empty handed. At one point my store was number one in the company, yet all the stylists were getting written up for low sales numbers. Doesn't make sense. Expect not to ask for any time off during bridal christmas (dec-april).

Make the manager program is available to everyone and more well known, which was talked about during the opening of the store but never talked about again. Something has to be done about the pay/commision rate. It's wrong and embarrassing.

Wedding sales stylist

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with brides and getting to know people's stories. I also like my managers. They are great and really care about the employees.

Cons

Corporate doesn't care about anything but the bottom line. So the sales staff feels like they need to push sales on people who might not want them. Also, the work environment can get a little catty. Understaffed for the amount of people we serve on a weekly basis. The non veteran sales staff are forced to work unreasonable hours and close more than most of the other staff do. There's a double standard for conduct among staff as well. If your sales are really good, you can get away with calling out and leaving early, even if the team is depending on you to be there.

Upper level management needs to care more. It feels like they don't care at all about the people who work in the stores. They are rude to store managers, they act like sales staff don't exist, and worst of all they blame the individual stores for the bad customer feedback when it's company policies that are hurting how the public views the company.

A fun part time job.

Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Asheville, NC

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment and work staff! So much fun to play dress up all day!

Cons

The company does NOT want to pay you commission. I always hit my goals and quotas. I was always within the top three within the store; however my check was always the same. The pay plan "ladder" system used was crooked, and could always be manipulated to pay you less.

Change the pay plan. The work environment was awesome!

David's bridal is easy, fun, and rewarding

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working with the brides, I try to help our team get sales by showing them first hand, what to do.

Cons

It gets boring doing the same thing every single day

Promote within often to keep people engaged in what there doing and to allow upper management to feel good about the success of their team

Second Family

Current Employee - Stylist in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Duluth, GA

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and management. It was a very fun experience and I enjoyed building relationships with my customers. The managers want you to succeed and they changed from being commission so it isn't a competition anymore. The company itself is on the rise and really revamping everything which is exciting!

Cons

Worked long hours and never got a weekend off cause they would not hire more consultants. Customers sometimes treat the company like a Walmart I think because of our prices so you have to deal with customers treating the merchandise poorly.

Find something else

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-better retail hours
    -helping brides find their dream gowns

Cons

-it is hit or miss with commission and when you do commission you receive a small percentage of your sales

-Fix commission structure...consultants work hard and should receive a higher percentage of their sales
    -Create a screening process for incoming brides so that consultants don't have to waste their time working with people who just want to play dress up and have no intention of seriously buying