Davidson Hotels & Resorts

3.2

Davidson Hotels & Resorts President and CEO John A. Belden
John A. Belden

1. Featured Review

They do what they say they are going to do.

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts

Pros

The organizational goals do not change all the time. Five guiding principles that stayed constant. This helps everyone stay focused instead of worrying if they are working on the right task or not. Most administrative functions are consolidated on one on-line platform which makes many management tasks much easier and more efficient.

Cons

No company is perfect but Davidson comes pretty close. They are hotel people running a hotel company.

Keep growing the company.

Front Desk Agent

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Newport, RI
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Newport, RI

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Excellent work environment, valuable experience, reasonable wage

Cons

Poor organization, low wages, long hours

OK pay, employees treated like garbage, (Bloomington, MN location only)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok. Some managers were great!

Cons

Entire business seems to be run by one power hungry person in HR.
    Good luck staying on longer than 1 year. No matter how good of an employee you are, you will be terminated before you are due for an increase in pay or benefits.
    Schedules were never posted more than 2 days before the work week. (changes frequently without warning)
    Was impossible to have 2 days in a row off. Sometimes scheduled for 8+ days in a row.

Listen to your employees concerns. Treat your employees like the "Heart" of the organization like you preach every day and allow the great employees with experience and ideas to better serve the guests by moving them up in the organization. Replace all management including HR. Improve benefits, paid time off was non-existent or allowed by managers. Work life balance was non-existent. Schedules need to be posted more than 2 days before the shift, respectfully at least the week before. Stop the high turnover rate by respecting your employees lives and move the high performers up and replace the HR manager who tells you that she has an open door for concerns and then lies to your face and terminates your position for having a safety or policy concern.

Jan 15, 2015Director of Recruiting

Thank you very much for taking the time to detail your concerns regarding your employment at our Bloomington, MN property. I am sorry you had a negative experience. We strive to ensure our Team ... More

Amateurs

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a place of employment.

Cons

Severe budget cuts upon entry. Davidson invades and depletes resources with a vengeance. They cut all supposedly superfluous positions like night cleaning crews, bussers, valets, hosts, and a third person...in any department. The staffing is cut in half and those remaining are forced to take on the responsibility of three to four other positions at no additional compensation. This completely eliminates any semblance of a work-life balance. They beef up the sales team, but have absolutely no staff to support the influx of business. They resort to the use of temp agencies and pay for it by digging into their house servers tip pool. One of my coworkers had to report them to the department of labor, after which, management was ordered to retro pay all the money they robbed from the banquet servers revenue. It's disgraceful. Upper management is a uppity boys club - pretentious, degrading. They have to outsource hundreds of their midlevel managers to every property location all over the country, dozens of times a year - because they can't keep anyone of staff. If you're staying at a Davidson managed property you can be sure that the Chef used a box cutter more than a spoon, you're "newly renovated room" is held together with gum and paperclips, and no one's done more then a spot cleaning since Davidson took over. But don't worry - if you make even the slightest complaint your room and food will be comp'd because if I know anything about Davidson, it's that they'd rather sweep a problem under the rug then take positive steps towards preventing the problem in the first place.

Management is not interested in taking advice.

Nov 10, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your concerns related to your employment with Davidson Hotels & Resorts. I am sorry your experience with our Company was negative. Your experience is absolutely not the way we ... More

Treated poorly.

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts

Pros

There were no pros working at this company for me. Was hired and demoted and then fired for no reason.

Cons

Management expects you to know everything as soon as you are hired. No training no chances given.

Sep 24, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for feedback. At Davidson Hotels and Resorts we celebrate our Team Members as our most important asset, essential to our success. We strive to provide a positive and inspiring workplace. We ... More

cook

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

pto time, discount, promiting within

Cons

no hours, poor management, compensation, benefits

make sure employees have what they need

Oct 8, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for voicing your concerns with your employment at our hotel. I am sorry that you feel your experience was not positive. I appreciate that you were happy with our PTO and Hotel Discount ... More

Guilty until forced to be "guilty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    No shortages of hours
    Willing to provide the resources needed at most levels.

Cons

Never being able to be to use PTO. I've not once been able to use mine unless it was a holiday in which I was working anyway.

Worked long hours

Literally told to do things from home; as an hourly associated; uncompensated.

Informed upper Management (GM; Directors; Steering Committee; and HR) of being directed to take care of things while not at the hotel in hopes to receive compensation.

Received write-ups for following hotel SOP (Not issuing keys to people not registered to room; and the person couldn't even provide his wives name, address, anything).

Paperwork. "Davidson is the Yes; we made a form for that people".

Unreasonable internal audits that the only way to pass is by faking it as the internal auditors come in.

Lets move into he 21st century.

End stupid forms; No one in this industry knows what an AZR is; (its something that is required we do something with; no one has been able to tell me they know 100% what one is....)

Lets compensate employees fairly; and follow the law.

Lets do something about high turnover.

I have had more people walk out in my department in the last year than we had at one time.

Heck; I'll be honest; if I were upper management I would abandon ship. Its not you; its the whole company together. it has past fixing.

Oct 14, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thank you for feedback.

... More

Turnover with little managerial oversight

Former Employee - Night Audit in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Night Audit in Richfield, MN

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The low-level people that you work alongside are wonderful. Everyone is there to do their best regardless of issues with management.

Cons

Compensation could definitely be better, management is incredibly out of touch with what is actually needed to help the hotel's function best. Standards are entirely ignored at times.

Get ride of the mid to low-level mangers that cause high turnover rates, invest in your employees.

Hotel Management Company

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Good people to work with at Corporate

Cons

Limited resources, so you have to be creative

A severe lack in associate support

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty standard, the company is very much geared toward hospitality and guest satisfaction, opportunities to move around

Cons

I didnt receive any formal training when I started. The compensation was fair but below the salary range of colleagues in the same area. The corporate structure is not set up to be compassionate to associates. The technology is lagging behind. The executives are out of touch with the hospitality community and what it takes to run a successful hotel. They are concerned with guest satisfaction but not employee satisfaction. They don't understand the concept of spend money to make money.

Pay attention when you start losing your top money makers at a rapid pace!

Davidson Hotels & Resorts Photos