Davis Advertising

Davis Advertising Reviews

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014

Andrew Davis

Marketing and advertising on a family schedule.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Davis Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility matters to me. I like the idea of being home when my kid is awake. After leaving a high pressure sales position, where 60 hours a week were the minimum, I never believed that I'd find a job in marketing that allowed me to work the traditional 9-5. The idea of communiting all the way to Boston, and adding that commute time in, made even an 8 hour day into at least a 12 hour day, and with a young family, that's just not an option for the lifestyle I wanted to lead. Therefore, Davis was a perfect fit. I am able to voice my opinion to management, and be heard. I have a work environment that can't be beat. And I'm able to put my life, and my family, first. The quality of life that I have from working at Davis is, in my 25 years of working, the best so far.

Cons

You take a bit of a hometown discount. Although we compete with Boston as far as our output, we don't price our services that way, which means we can't pay the way the big Boston agencies do. If at the end of the day, the number on your paycheck is what determines the value of the job, then Davis might not be for you, since you're missing out on the savings in both money and time (which is worth more to me than money).

Liven up the place. The building looks like an accounting firm.

Worst management ever

I worked at Davis Advertising

Pros

It is one of the largest agencies in the area and you will gain a lot of experience. It's a good learning ground for sure. The people are really nice and there's definitely a family atmosphere. People really stick together there. If you're driven you can learn lots of different types of things.

Cons

The company has always been somewhat old-fashioned and behind the times. Additionally, there does not seem to be any understanding as to how an agency actually works. Titles have always been way off, and not translatable to other companies without a good deal of explanation. The worst part about this company is the management. It's all over the place and not even remotely professional. I've seen some people treated beyond poorly and I've seen some things happen there that shock me to this day. Overall a very unprofessional place to work.

Get some education, remember it's not 1980. Let others help you when it needed. Try not to do too much and over promise. Pick a direction for the company and stick with it. It's unrealistic to think you can do everything.
    Get your HR in order before you get yourself sued.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Worcester, MA

I worked at Davis Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't have to work the long hours typically associated with advertising. There used to be some incredibly talented people working there, however, they are long gone.

Cons

Very outdated. Horrible and sketchy management. Terrible pay. Cannot keep clients because of the lack of forward-thinking, creative thought out of the account management side. The few talented people sucked in are taken advantage of and quickly leave. Not a respected agency and not deserving of respect. Beware, beware, beware.

Sell the company to someone who knows what they are doing.

Davis Advertising Response

Oct 7, 2014President

As a company that was chosen as the Best Ad Agency in WBJ annual poll and in the top 20 in the BBJ annual poll our success has been predicated on our ability to stay on the cutting edge of ... More

Great People, Great Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Davis Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Davis Advertising is great for a number of reasons. The people are warm and down to earth. The variety of talent in the various departments makes every day interesting. The flexibility is amazing and like none other I've experienced in a company. Finally, Davis is extremely family oriented... another major plus.

Cons

I wish we did more team events. Although it's more convenient for customers to get to our new location.. and the parking is better, my personal commute has gotten longer.

I'm happy to see how much the company has improved over the past few years. I keep seeing better things ahead. Keep up the good work! This company has an exciting future.

Cut your teeth in advertising, and then move on.

I have been working at Davis Advertising

Pros

Great people; work hard, play hard atmosphere; diverse client base allowing employees the opportunity to gain experience in a wide array of industries.

Cons

The company feels like it is stuck in the 1970s. While most employees of the company are comfortable in traditional advertising methods, just the opposite can be said about "New Media." The amount of stress put on those who do understand it is unnecessary and visibly taking its toll.

Consider soliciting for employee feedback once in a while. While a cash bonus at the end of the year is nice, a thank you for a job well done would go a long way too. More pressure should be put on account personnel to keep up with the times.

Get a start in Advertising, then move on.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at Davis Advertising

Pros

If you're fresh out of college and want to get your footings in Advertising, this could be a good place to start. You'll learn the ropes from seasoned executives and designers. The company culture is laid-back, with a "work hard, play hard" mantra. Overall there's a sense of camaraderie among the employees, as a fair amount of them have been there 5-10+ years.

Cons

Employees tend to stay, but beware that you don't get stuck in your career. This is not a place where you'll work on anything cutting edge, but if you're a young, original, fresh mind who plays well with others, you could find a welcome niche.

Management should invest more to train employees to keep skills sharper and more current. Hire more fresh minds. Embrace change. Take management classes to upgrade skills in interpersonal relations and keep morale high.

Not a rewarding place to work.

I worked at Davis Advertising

Pros

The diverse client-base gives employees exposure to a wide variety of projects. There's a decent number of nice people working there.

Cons

Below market salaries, poor benefits and low morale can make it a difficult place to work. Some people have been there for years, and do nothing to try and move the company forward.

Leadership (partners) would be good at marketing if it were 1995 -- but really don't know anything about current marketing methods. Certain members of management have their favorite people, and treat the others like their beneath them.

To a staff member -- the individual contributor -- it's obvious that leadership doesn't care one bit about the employees.

See "Cons" above. Leadership could do much more to make Davis a great place to work, without a lot of effort. Additionally, I'd suggest they either add or outsource an HR department.