Davis Polk

Best employer ever

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Tiffanys of law firms

ConsWall Street hours year round

Awesome culture, great experience, friendly people, best place to work in NY Biglaw

New York, NY

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople treat you with respect and make a real effort to avoid needless late night and weekend work, firm morale is very high, consensus is that the firm is headed in the right direction and expanding strategically both from a practice area perspective and geographically. Vacation time is absolutely sacred and everyone takes all 4-5 weeks.

ConsHours can be long and very unpredictable, but this is the nature of the industry. Not a lot of firm-wide events, would be nice to have some more opportunities for social interaction with colleagues.

Great firm and great opportunities

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Davis Polk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWe will work with talented people. You will have great clients who are able to pay a lot for lawyers. You will have exciting work.

ConsYou will work long hours. You will get a lot of training too, but the learning curve is steep and there will be lots of situations where you will have to sink or swim.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

It was a great experience!

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHighly professional and brilliant lawyers across the board. Don't think you'll find any other law firm with a deeper bench and that will give associates as much responsibility so early in their careers.

ConsThe hours can be long and communication about partnership prospects can be opaque.

Hard work, but good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Davis Polk as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome people and culture; very enjoyable experience overall. Interacted with colleagues in and out of work in the litigation department and couldn't be happier working with that group. I would recommend it highly for an internship, and while the life of associates looked difficult, the culture sounded much less stuffy and awful based on friends who spoke about working with other law firms.

ConsInternship was a lot of document moving, but definitely what you made of it. You could ask questions and learn a lot about what the legal industry is like and what it's like to work in it.

A very well run company that cares about its employees.

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Davis Polk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat health and vacation benefits.

ConsWork load can get heavy.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Davis Polk

ProsGreat place to work. Great people, very business casual. not too political....great pay

ConsLack of career advancement.
Not much room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all of your employess as equals. Some partners need to learn how to communicate with other staff members as they can be very rude.

Legal Support

Legal Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Davis Polk full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRespectful, nice atmosphere, decent pro-bono

ConsNo work/life balance, cut a lot of programs/benefits

Interesting and challenging (in a good way)

Corporate Legal Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Davis Polk full-time

ProsGiven a lot of responsibility upon demonstrating skills

ConsCan be very long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster the communication between senior associates and legal assistants

The best place to be a legal assistant in NYC (take that as you will)

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Davis Polk full-time for more than a year

Pros-Access to some very high profile cases, most of which you'll read about in the news. The firm counts some of the largest, most powerful companies in the world as its clients. This is a harsh economy for most firms. Not this one. Davis Polk has been around forever and will continue to thrive due to its longstanding corporate relationships.
-Access to top-notch lawyers. Granted, your face-time with partners will be very limited, but the associates here are cream of the crop. Really valuable for networking/law school recommendations/general advice.
-Excellent firm culture. No yelling. Some reviewers who are attorneys may complain about how the firm seems "passive aggressive" in that people are very nice but will stab you in the back. I haven't witnessed that firsthand but as a legal assistant you are probably not important enough to have that happen to you. One of the upsides of being low on the food chain is that nobody has any reason to be anything but nice to you.
-Collegiality: really feels like a team. Managers genuinely care about your workload and will generally stick up for you when you get unreasonable requests.
-Name recognition: Davis Polk turns heads in the world of law. Sounds superficial but in the legal world, these things matter on your resume.
-Perks are well above average for law firms: great cafeteria, dinner & car service home on late nights, beautiful building, law school admissions panels for legal assistants, etc.

All said, this is a good place to work immediately after college. Just don't get stuck for more than 3 years because there are no opportunities for upward mobility without a JD, and salary increases are not significant. I don't know of any other firms of similar type and caliber that have more satisfied legal assistants. Just have realistic expectations when applying--it's a good 'stepping stone' job if you are at least considering law school--and this job will be a great experience.

Cons-Salary. $40k base is tough to live off of in NYC. Overtime helps but you'll have to work hard to see any real savings. No significant bonuses.
-Work is often unfulfilling and monotonous. This is NOT specific to Davis Polk, but rather a trait of this position across Biglaw.
-You have to carry around, and check, a Blackberry. You'll get used to it, but you won't stop hating the constant buzzing of incoming emails.

Advice to Senior Management-Regular work schedule should be 40 hours/week instead of 35 to help with the salary issue. We don't need to get off at 5:30--we're young and could use the extra $.

Worked for Davis Polk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Davis Polk reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Davis Polk CEO Thomas J. Reid . All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Davis Polk employees.