Davis Vision Reviews

Steve Holden

1. Most stable company I've worked for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Latham, NY

I have been working at Davis Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2 weeks vacation, all paid holidays, 6 personal days, 10 sick days a year. All paid. Double time and a half if you work the day after Thanksgiving. Double time and a half if you work a half day on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Weekends off. Unlimited overtime potential at time and a half. If you want to work 44 hours in a week, fine. If you want to work 60 hours in a week, also fine. If you just want to work your 40, that's ok too. It's the best overtime I've seen where you can work as many hours as you really want. It's a union environment so once you're past probation, it's really difficult to get fired.

Cons

- You can't have your cell phone out. - People steal lunches out of the fridge so you need to bring an insulated bag and keep your lunch at your desk. - Promotions go by seniority, not necessarily who would be best at the job. So you have to wait for your turn.

Advice to Management

Everything is working out pretty well in this location. Nothing is perfect, but I do plan on working here as long as possible.

2. Data entry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Davis Vision (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime when I needed it

Cons

Can't move around as much as I would have liked

3. Stable Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latham, NY

I have been working at Davis Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Stable Job -Met some great friends here -Opportunity to change your shift every 3 months -Both supervisors I've had are helpful and kind -Decent benefits (vision, medical, dental) -Overtime available at time and a half pay -Had meeting to brainstorm what areas can be improved, this was great however it was before the President left the company so no one knows if/when the topics will be addressed -After the union negotiated the new contract we got a raise to $13/hr, then after working several months can get a promotion to a similar department for $14/hr if spots available.

Cons

-Sometimes frustrating talking to upset members or optical stores -Talking on the phone all day can get tiring -Does get repetitive -I have heard some supervisors are not helpful at all -Training is overwhelming at first but does sink in after awhile -Countless things that should be changed to improve the client experience but seems slow moving to actually change, hoping for the best...

Advice to Management

-Listen to the CSR advice! We are on the phones everyday and we know what can help improve the company. I was happy to hear investments are being made to fix and update the tech, etc, hopefully will see results sooner rather than later.

5. Been there 5 years first year made $57,000. Now im around $42,000. tons of pay cuts. And i do more work

Current Employee - Lab Tech ARC in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Tech ARC in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at Davis Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

4 days on 3 days off. Good vision care. New town square lab on a nice property

Cons

Management sucks. No one knows my job so i cant ask for help. The people that trained me quit. Long shifts that start really early. 5am. Or get off really late. 3am

Advice to Management

Learn something. No management just babysitters.

6. A big pick-up joint

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Latham, NY

Pros

The office is big, beautiful, clean, and has it's own parking areas.

Cons

If you have anything going for you, and you are female, it is a hostile environment. That is, unless you want to work in an environment where you are expected to get involved with the men.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to find managers that are not looking to exploit those in positions of less power.

7. Great management with a bad union problem (Latham)

Former Employee - Documentation Design/Marketing Analyst in Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Documentation Design/Marketing Analyst in Latham, NY

Pros

-Good work atmosphere -Good people -Ability to move up if hard worker but they do weed out under performers -Always expanding due to their Empire Visionworks affiliation

Cons

-Union is strict and unless you are in the call center it will work against you -Call center operations is in the same area as other departments which creates two work atmospheres that are very different

Advice to Management

Continue to expand call center in main office suite while moving other departments to your other locations Push more responsibility to adequate middle management, Directors are incredible at what they do but you can tell they're overworked

Challenging

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Davis Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management involvement was very supportive

Cons

Company resisted change environment and was very heavily labor intensive.

Marketing

Pros

Good management. Everyone work well together. There are a lot of knowledgeable people throughout the company and willing to work with you.

Cons

Salaries are competitive and relevant to the market, however the only downfall is there are no bonuses and no tuition assistant.

Advice to Management

Consider bonuses payout for all employee and not just director and above. Invest more money in training and education. But other than this, the company is very good to work for.

Horrible, avoid this place like the plague

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Plainview, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Plainview, NY

I worked at Davis Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, unless getting paid every two weeks on time can be counted as a pro.

Cons

No chances for advancement, bullying is rampant, no respect for employees time, a culture of lying and deceit is prevalent, management is unprofessional and doesn't like to be asked questions or to be questioned, you have people in leadership who cant even speak the english language, nepotism is common place, and the list goes on....a mafia environment.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat and respect people. Stop enabling poor unprofessional behavior. Quit putting your head in the sand about what goes on before it comes back to bite you.

11. Optical Assistant

I worked at Davis Vision full-time

Pros

Benefits are ok, commision allows for extra bucks.

Cons

Horrible upper management, no soft skills, do not value their employees.

Advice to Management

Hire management that is capable of understanding what it means to lead a team.

RSS Feed </> Embed