Davis Wright Tremaine

Add Photos

Dave Baca

San Francisco - Knowledgeable and great attorneys to work for

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLeadership: Trustworthy, loyal, knowledgeable, very intelligent attorneys.
    it is not about the bottom line like so many law firms.
    It is about the people not only the partners.

ConsMoving faster into making the right decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and respect all offices (not solely on Seattle) and focus on the knowledge that people have in their industry. We have a great team of talented and intelligent people. Everyone needs to be put on board.

Finance

ProsNice support staff, Holiday bonus, Monthly mixer, Flexible work hours

ConsBenefits are bad. Attorneys are rude and treat support staff like they don't have any value. Low raises. Under paid. No room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPut into practice their own saying "service together"

Top law firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery strong attorneys representing many areas of law.

ConsExperience can vary from department to department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A proud Seattle law firm

Programmer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt is a law firm that is right to be proud of its founding values. Some fine legal talent. An emphasis (for the attorneys) on work-life balance.

ConsThere was notable division between staff and attorneys. The Systems Department leadership was sclerotic at the very top, and somewhat dramatic at the team leadership level. It was probably average in terms of how technologically progressive the IT department was.

Screamers Galore

IT Drone (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMy manager was instructive, patient and surprisingly far smarter than me.

ConsThis firm allows "screaming" attorneys to work there. A few of their San Francisco lawyers are noted for belittling staff in front of their clients. It's sad when the bottom-line is about the dollars and cents rather than acknowledging that, without support, there would be no law firm. Interesting to note, their ENTIRE healthcare practice, including attorneys, walked out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe captain goes down with the ship, so learn how to swim quickly.

Challenging place to work

Network Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHigh expectations and lots to do.. Interesting applications of technology

ConsHi pressure environment, attorneys tend to want things right now.

Great place until the culture changed

Staff (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere is still a feeling of community amongst staff members but there is definitely a divide between attorneys and staff. Salaries were pretty good. The location was nice. It's probably a great place to work if you're an attorney.

ConsDivision between attorneys and staff. There's definitely a glass ceiling for staff members, one that would be near impossible to break through. Parking in the building (in an emergency) is very expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employees

A firm with a great reputation full of smart and talented people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDWT is one of the few large law firms where it is possible to maintain work life balance. If salary is the most important factor, you can probably get a higher salary somewhere else. However, DWT's billable hour requirements are slightly lower than other firms, so you might actually get home at night in time to see your family. There are good opportunities to work on interesting deals, and this firm is full of smart, talented, and interesting people with diverse backgrounds and interests. They also encourage pro bono participation by giving billable hour credit. A large number of attorneys and staff are active in community projects, fundraising for non-profits, and pro bono legal projects.

ConsAttorneys are not good managers here or in any other law firm where I have worked. For example, some associates receive a lot of good mentor ship, some do not, and no one really takes any responsibility for this. Despite its size and efforts to "Define Success Together," it sill has the feeling of a firm full of sole practitioners each doing their own thing. Also, they have been slow to keep up with technology. They need to invest more in this infrastructure to stay competitive.

Comfortable, predictable, stable, stagnant.

Accounting/Finance (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExcellent benefits and very secure job position. Attractive vacation and sabatical packages.

ConsVery little room for career advancement, new challenges, or significant pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really is no cohesiveness to the law firm. There are the partners, then the secretaries, and separate from all of that is the General & Administrative group, the people who keep the place running. "Service Together" has no meaning to us and seems rather trite when it doesn't seem there is much "togetherness" in the firm in the first place. Now give us merit raises when a job is well done and maybe then there will be some "service together." Unfortunately, the firm is placing a lesser importance on raises of any sort for the time being. As such, I find myself placing a lesser value on "service together."

Attorney at Media firms

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest thing about the law firm is the exposure to interesting issues that aren't necessarily available to junior associates at the bigger white shoe firms.

ConsThe worse thing about the law firm is that it is still a firm. The hours are difficult and the scheduling near impossible sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better line of communication with staff and associates. We often recommend this, though it so rarely happens. It seems like this shouldn't be such a hard bridge to gap

Worked for Davis Wright Tremaine? Contribute to the Community!