Davis Wright Tremaine Reviews in Seattle, WA

3.3

Dave Baca

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A firm with a great reputation full of smart and talented people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine

Pros

DWT is one of the few large law firms where it is possible to maintain work life balance. If salary is the most important factor, you can probably get a higher salary somewhere else. However, DWT's billable hour requirements are slightly lower than other firms, so you might actually get home at night in time to see your family. There are good opportunities to work on interesting deals, and this firm is full of smart, talented, and interesting people with diverse backgrounds and interests. They also encourage pro bono participation by giving billable hour credit. A large number of attorneys and staff are active in community projects, fundraising for non-profits, and pro bono legal projects.

Cons

Attorneys are not good managers here or in any other law firm where I have worked. For example, some associates receive a lot of good mentor ship, some do not, and no one really takes any responsibility for this. Despite its size and efforts to "Define Success Together," it sill has the feeling of a firm full of sole practitioners each doing their own thing. Also, they have been slow to keep up with technology. They need to invest more in this infrastructure to stay competitive.

A proud Seattle law firm

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a law firm that is right to be proud of its founding values. Some fine legal talent. An emphasis (for the attorneys) on work-life balance.

Cons

There was notable division between staff and attorneys. The Systems Department leadership was sclerotic at the very top, and somewhat dramatic at the team leadership level. It was probably average in terms of how technologically progressive the IT department was.

Challenging place to work

Former Employee - Network Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High expectations and lots to do.. Interesting applications of technology

Cons

Hi pressure environment, attorneys tend to want things right now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place until the culture changed

Former Employee - Staff  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Staff in Seattle, WA

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time

Pros

There is still a feeling of community amongst staff members but there is definitely a divide between attorneys and staff. Salaries were pretty good. The location was nice. It's probably a great place to work if you're an attorney.

Cons

Division between attorneys and staff. There's definitely a glass ceiling for staff members, one that would be near impossible to break through. Parking in the building (in an emergency) is very expensive.

Listen more to employees

Comfortable, predictable, stable, stagnant.

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine

Pros

Excellent benefits and very secure job position. Attractive vacation and sabatical packages.

Cons

Very little room for career advancement, new challenges, or significant pay increases.

There really is no cohesiveness to the law firm. There are the partners, then the secretaries, and separate from all of that is the General & Administrative group, the people who keep the place running. "Service Together" has no meaning to us and seems rather trite when it doesn't seem there is much "togetherness" in the firm in the first place. Now give us merit raises when a job is well done and maybe then there will be some "service together." Unfortunately, the firm is placing a lesser importance on raises of any sort for the time being. As such, I find myself placing a lesser value on "service together."

Worked for Davis Wright Tremaine? Contribute to the Community!