Davison Design & Development

Be The First To
Add Photos

George M Davison

Great Place to work

ProsFun atmosphere day goes fast

Consno cons just great to work for

Advice to Senior Managementdo well you move up

Interesting work but poor decision-making by executives.

Director of Pre-Development - Research and Quality Control (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsEnjoyed the work. Got to see many ideas in my investigatory research - some were great ideas, others had no business crossing my desk or wasting my researchers' time. Permitted to manage my department the way I wanted it to run and was considered a great department within the company - very little researcher dissatisfaction and hardly any complaints about the research work we did from our clients and other departments. It was good until 2008, when things started to slide toward the negative that were not under my control, despite my best attempts to keep my department running the way I wanted it.

ConsPoor decisions made my the executive management. Showed favoritism for certain departments in personnel decisions even though i was always told that my department was run so well that it was deemed "low maintenance" by the executive management. Decisions were made in 2008 without my input affected morale within my department. While business suffered a downturn, the company had to undergo layoffs. The design department suffered because of a lack of work in creating prototypes and product samples for out corporate clients. In one of the worst decisions made by the company, some research work was given to untrained and at times incompetent "researchers" in this department. By allowing other employees to start doing research without proper training by me or my most experienced researchers, my researchers became worried about their job security or would be transferred back to their original jobs within the company that they advanced from. Obviously, this put a lot of unnecessary stress and increased my quality control work because I had to correct or edit the work done by poorly trained personnel. I think I did a great job of correcting the mistakes by the inexperienced "researchers," but I thought that the overall quality fell to average from high because of the time deadlines of the research work would not allow me to do the quality control work as thoroughly on the poorly done research as I would have liked. Eventually, most of the research work was done by personnel that I did not train and all my trained researchers either were dismissed or transferred into other positions within the company despite my protests. The overall quality has never reached pre-2008 levels although there has been some improvement of the research work because of gaining experience and my constant input to the "researchers" on what they did wrong. I completely understood that a lot of these measures were due to economics but business has not picked up and cuts have continued. I worry about their future.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit to your mistakes and either own up to them or correct them. Sometimes there are alternatives to fighting and to swallow your pride and rectify the mistakes. Should have not had any of the design staff do any research without proper training. Include the department director in the discussions concerning work and personnel changes instead of "blindsiding" them. The department director know much more about the day to day operations within the department than the corporate decision-makers. If that was done, the tough decisions would be made together or at least with my input and would be more accepted by everyone; I probably would still have a job there along with several of my best researchers; and probably they wouldn't have suffered such a decline in business in the last several years. Sometimes what corporate thinks that they are saving money or what is best for the company by streamlining operations by combining departments does an opposite and detrimental effect to company profits and morale.

I learned how to deal with different people and how to connect to people in order to sell to them.

Director of New Products (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat sales training and very positive work place with positive people.

ConsSometimes I felt like they didn't care about the employees as much as they did and if you didn't t a commission check you basically worked for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 8 months I got promoted to run the sales training meeting and was nominated for rookie of the year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and not in a good way

Director of New Products (Current Employee) Pitts, PA

Prosthere are not too many

Consbiggest micro-management I have ever seen for a "sales" job

Advice to Senior Managementmay want to look into promoting for not just on somebody's sales performance and determine if they actually know how to manage human beings.

Great company!!!

Director of New Products (Former Employee) Pittsburg, CA

ProsYou can make a lot of money!

ConsLots of dials and sometimes can argue with people!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange nothing!

this place is a train wreck

Cant Say (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosthe physical building is magnificent - looks like disneyland inside
    4 day werk week - 4x10
    they offer a semi-legitimate product to the public - "a dream" - so theres no lack of werk

Cons1.the product they offer to the public is snake oil - one in one thousand chance your invention will return a payback on your investment - im only somewhat comfortable with the ethics of this - [ it does say that in the fine print just to be fair ]
    2. this company is run just like in the movie "the toy" - its nothing more than a toy of a rich kid to boss people around
    3. billed as "the most creative workplace" but due to severe micro-managing there is NO creativity .. i cant stress that enough
    4. there is more management than actual employees - their answer to any problem that arises is for more micro-management
    5. people fired at will - no reason - on the wim of the CEO
    6. upper management that doesnt know what they are doing - ordering around the people that do know what they are doing - making the people that know what they are doing jump thru hoops, re-do work that isnt rignt and in the end BLAMING them for failures
    7. every week its something new to make your job harder, to disrupt your routine, to get blamed for something not your fault
    8. bare minimum for tools to do your job - software anyway and questions why your not more productive
    9. it breaks my heart to see people move here from other cities or quit good jobs to come work here - do not be taken in by the fantastic work space - its sooo alluring

the

Advice to Senior Managementask yourself why no one wants to work here??? why is everyone leaving? its not rocket science to figure the answer to those questions

Interesting at times yet underwhelming

Director of New Products (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPrivate offices (somewhat) Some unique training techniques
    High commission structure
    8-5 work schedule

ConsNo true training program
    No stability
    No investment in employees
    On the chopping block from day one (constant reviews)- which leads to their incredibly high turnover.
    Awkward pay structure

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is at the mercy of the President, very little they can do. I would suggest implement a true training program and invest in the employees which means don't terminate someone after 30 days. And stop sending out unsettling emails letting everyone know that someone could be fired in 15 days or retained for another 30- Incredibly unprofessional.

Director of New Products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone really but I guess one pro that does not apply to me is that you have the "chance" to make decent money if you do not have a degree.

ConsWhere do I begin. They try to control you but make you think it is your choice. They try to impress you with things that others have such as cars and houses but there is much more to it then these things. The pay scale is a joke and made confusing so you don't really understand it until its too late. When you get hired they don't explain that it is a 30 day audition so you should not leave a concrete job for this 30 day trial. No job security at all. DON'T WORK HERE UNLESS ITS YOUR LAST OPTION AND YOU NEED TO WORK.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease come back to reality. People take their titles to their heads and try to treat people as if they are above them. Management needs training to improve the office environment and team morale.

Good oportunity to learn

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOpen company towards ideas. Primary revenue is in sales so they can make a lot of money.

ConsLeadership is lacking. Owner does not have time to help but when he tries, he jumps in half way through the problem and makes it worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a lot of work on managment. Need better structure and guidance. Seems like you live in the day rather than plan for tomorrow.

Worked for Davison Design & Development? Contribute to the Community!