Dawn Food Products Reviews

1. The truth

Former Employee - Mixer in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Mixer in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Dawn Food Products

Pros

Good people an good enviroment

Cons

Scheduling can be weird an management has lack of communication

2. Enjoyed My Employment

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in York, PA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in York, PA

I worked at Dawn Food Products full-time

Pros

Dawn Foods is an excellent place to work the line leads and management are great. The job is never boring exciting things to learn .

Cons

Sometimes hectic trying to get new products out and the quality.

Advice to Management

Dawn Foods is Great to work for.

3. wow, what a hot mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manteno, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manteno, IL

I worked at Dawn Food Products (Less than a year)

Pros

a somewhat diverse work force, which was great to see, in the food industry, but the high turnover rate made it hard to get trained, seasoned workers. so much confusion, and the long time workers who came from all of the plant closings and transfers seems to propagate the confusion... strange ?

Cons

micro managers not leaders, horrible communication and the corporate folks are totally clueless, ultimate power and and use their in plant cronies as storm troopers, very scary

Advice to Management

give real accountability to the plants for quality. just look at the manteo items in the stores, such poor quality.

5. Time for a new Dawn

Current Employee - Un Known
    Current Employee - Un Known

I have been working at Dawn Food Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company's top leadership wants to do the right things.

Cons

Locations leadership is more involved in making numbers look good than doing the right things

Advice to Management

Treat your people right, pay them a wage that will afford them to take care of your business. Wages are top heavy,

6. Good overall

I worked at Dawn Food Products

Pros

Awesome family running the show.

Cons

The salary was pretty low.

7. My best experience is I'm learning how to work with food safety.

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic Ll - Boiler Operator Tech in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Dawn Food Products

Pros

The best reason to work on Dawn food products is working as a team, and work safe.

Cons

My downside is working as a team and show all the best on maintenance when doing service on all machinery.

Advice to Management

Support all of your co-workers and help others who need your help with out copplaining , reason we are a group of Maintenance .

8. Do Not Work at Dawn Foods, its a Trap

I have been working at Dawn Food Products

Pros

Good Pay, that is it.

Cons

My Experience at Dawn Foods: I enjoyed my job thoroughly, up until upper management had been in the process of building and developing a new headquarters in Piscataway, NJ, which was much larger and, in their opinion only, more efficient. So the moving day came, and that is when the job, as well as the moral went completely down, and I began to dread going to work. First off, the one morning supervisor, who was in charge of packing everything in the Edison warehouse, did not pack the pallets in accordance with where the location would be. It was all a jumbled mess and rushed, so when the merchandise got to the new warehouse, it was all out of order and there was really no set place for any of it. Secondly, it was a larger warehouse, yes, but they had built the aisles almost half the size of what they were in Edison, therefore making it nearly impossible to be productive. This then lead to mass confusion, and 18 hour days, because none of us were familiar with the set up. Mind you, as all of this was happening, this was during the busy season at Dawn, which was around Christmas time, so the orders were super heavy, so there was never down time in your personal life. Was management understanding? No. Donuts are more important than human beings, in their eyes. We just barely got through the busy season, and lost one of our top selectors during the process, which began to hurt us a great deal. Once the busy season was over, we were still pulling 12-14 hour nights, and a lot of the other employess were using days upon days of personal and sick time, which would leave us short handed every night. The worst experience of all would have to be we had a blizzard and the state of NJ issued a driving ban. We were forced to stay and pick two days worth of orders, or else our jobs were threatened, even though traveling conditions for employees were trecherous, and could have cost some of them their lives. But like I said before, donuts are more important. Management did not play a great roll in keeping the moral up either. Every meeting we had was them scolding us that production was low, and that we are not making "piece count" (piece count is their way to monitor how productive an employee is, with how many piece picked per hour. So say you have a big truck that you know will take you a while, and you complete under their expectations, due to aisle traffic and a damaged pallet or whatever occurance may happen, you are pretty much not to their standard. There is no excuse good enough for lack of productivity). One particular manager would usually just sit there and threaten our jobs every time we had a meeting, it was almost turning into a high school setting. If you called out, even for a family emergency or if you were ill, that was grounds for a three day suspension without pay. The only upside of the whole horror story I have placed in front of you, is that the pay is above average for a warehouse associate. Other than that, you have no personal life working for Dawn Foods. You are expected to be a robot, not feel tired, feel no pain, have no emotion, etc. You must get their flour, donut mix, sugar, etc, out to their customers. This was an eye opening experience for me as an employee, because I thought that Abraham Lincoln had abolished slavery back in the 1800's. Dawn foods I guess did not get that memo. Like I said, donuts are more important than human life. Also, don't get hurt on the job. Dawn will not compensate your time off and will not comply with worker's compensation. So if you are out under 2 weeks, you are SOL.

Advice to Management

Take care of your workers, we are the ones behind the scenes who contribute to your profits.

9. Loved It Until It Changed

I have been working at Dawn Food Products

Pros

I was with this organization for over a decade and have nothing but glowing reviews for them while I was with the organization.

Cons

Shame on you, Carrie. You are tearing down the very basics of what your father built.

Advice to Management

Go back to to company that Ron made. It was much better than the one that is being run right now.

10. company that is in a transition from a family owned atmosphere to one trying to seem more sophisticated

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Jackson, MI

I worked at Dawn Food Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

family owned, leadership visibility, work life balance

Cons

divisional in-fighting, employee development, progression planning, attitude that only new employees possess any talent.

Advice to Management

spend less time and effort worrying about which division gets credit. Work together as one Dawn. Develop better employee progression.

11. Excellent Company to work for

I worked at Dawn Food Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Ability to learn and grow. Willingness to spend money when necessary. Very fair with time-off requests, and flexible work hours.

Cons

Some of the management can be difficult to work with. Don't follow standard operating procedures.

Advice to Management

The culture of Dawn is noticeable at the headquarters, but is not as obvious at the distribution centers or manufacturing plants. Several people I have spoken with at DCs and Manufacturing plants do not experience the same sense of culture that we had at home office.

RSS Feed </> Embed