Day & Zimmermann Reviews

Reset
3.4
Day & Zimmermann Chairman and CEO Hal Yoh III
Hal Yoh III

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and integration (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's fine except when it's not running during the day or when shuttle A fails to make it back in time for a scheduled pickup & (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Civil Field Engineer in Bay City, TX
    Current Employee - Civil Field Engineer in Bay City, TX

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Good People, Fun Work.

Cons

A lot of travel, but not necessarily a con.

Be prepared to work hard and be let go when you are not needed

I worked at Day & Zimmermann full-time

Pros

Learn alot as you are on your own, some people are really good to work with but many are not.

Cons

Management is in turmoil and long term employees are being let go, higher paid are let go for lower paid entry level employees, it's not what you know but who you suck up to that counts, management buys loser companies and spends on them but they don't make money

Advice to Management

Find out what you want your buiness to be and get people who know what they are doing.

3. cost specailist

Former Employee - Cost Specialist in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Cost Specialist in Greenville, SC

I worked at Day & Zimmermann

Pros

Direct reporting to Project controls manager

Cons

Smaller EPC project sizes and mutiples projects

Advice to Management

n/a

Good people, outdated tech and policies

Current Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann full-time

Pros

There really are great people here at DZ that make coming to work a pleasurable experience. We have a great working environment here when management stays out of it. Flex schedules are available. DZ is a big name in engineering. Compensation can be fair sometimes, but typically we are well below what the market demands.

Cons

* Outdated tech is holding us back. Management refuses to even consider modernizing our web presence, process, procedures, etc. to compete * Some VPs are very 'old school' here and take on a my way or the highway mentality. They won't approve any change or any new ideas and they are intimidated by modern technology. * I've been exposed to several situations where employment laws were broken or I was asked to compromise my ethics. I have been ordered by my superior not to report these violations or risk losing my job. When I made my concerns known I was threatened with being fired and told that I needed to learn to get along with my co-workers. * Upper management often play political games with your career, blocking you from available promotional opportunities. * Overall the company is stuck in the past. Just look at our web presence if you need any confirmation of that. * Safety is supposedly the first priority, but managers often compromise employee safety by ignoring weather conditions or by circumventing safety requirements altogether. When it comes to safety, no one should be doubting you. If there's a safety issue, then you STOP THE WORK until it is safe. Period. That is what it means for safety to be your first priority. * DZ does not promote from within or develop its employees. Overall, the company is very poorly run. Antiquated policies keep us from being competitive in the market place. Old school mentalities hold employees back from being developed and create internal ethical conflicts. DZ's stated values are not their actual values in practice.

Advice to Management

Some of the old school guys have got to go. When you have people that think that a website with a link on it is 'modern' you know you have issues. Embrace change, embrace new ideas and get rid of the ego - DZ is far from the best company out there and it needs to change to be able to compete. Look internally for people with potential, then give them opportunities to better themselves through education, certifications and seminars. Live up to your safety creed - if safety truly is your # 1 concern, then stop forcing employees into unsafe working conditions by threatening their jobs.

Day & Zimmermann Response

Jul 9, 2015 – VP Human Resources - DZMG

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experiences at Day & Zimmermann. Please be assured that D&Z maintains a vigorous commitment to ethics in the workplace. Integrity is one of ... More

6. Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann full-time

Pros

Management very understanding of family obligations so work schedule can somewhat vary as needed. Also, coworkers are very friendly.

Cons

Any type of change happens very slowly.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of employees daily work responsibilities. Also, provide more career opportunities within company.

7. Director

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is understanding and flexible.

Cons

Improve incentive plans and Benefits

Advice to Management

Utilize internal resources across business units for standard efficient processes

8. They stood by every item in contract.....

Current Employee - Pipe Superintendent
    Current Employee - Pipe Superintendent

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann

Pros

They're motto "We do What We say" is a clear way of putting things in perspective, for company that does in fact practice what it preaches.

Cons

Per Diem Rate is a Little on The Low Side.

Advice to Management

Keep Pushing Your People Up, and they will support you.

9. Love working here, but need to modernize in a big way

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann

Pros

Stability. There is room to learn from mistakes rather than just get fired.

Cons

Way behind in technology in many departments.

Advice to Management

It's 2015. You should have a bigger presence online and specifically on mobile devices.

10. Independent Maintenance Electrician

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Seneca, SC
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Seneca, SC

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is above the average in this area.

Cons

If you go to certain plants and if you have any type of experience they will hold you back from going to other places.

Advice to Management

If tell the employees how much you appreciate their work,they will appreciate it and do a better job for you.

Vice President

I have been working at Day & Zimmermann

Pros

You get a salary. There are lots of good people working there. There are many locations across the US.

Cons

I was warned. After being approached by a recruiter telling me about a great job, at a great salary, I asked around the industry to see what people knew about DZ. I found a few former employees who were happy to share their insight. The response was universal: the company lacks integrity and they would not recommend working there. I had a few individuals provide very explicit details. Despite their evidence and advice, I took the job anyways. My thought was “Sour grapes” and “I’m better than these guys.” So, now you’re reading this thinking the same thing. But, you should pause and take heed of my story. The company’s vision is “To be the most admired company in the markets we serve.” That says it all right there. They want to be admired – because they are not. DZ is perceived as a low value provider of bodies. That’s what they do best – get people to do work for other companies. Because people are their commodity, I believe it has changed the way that they look at employees. They do not value them for anything beyond the task they were employed to do. And when that task is complete, they will toss you a side like a used rag – without a modicum of concern for your feelings or wellbeing. You are just an instrument, a tool, a commodity. The company also states their core values are: Safety, Integrity, Diversity, and Success. Let’s look at those. Safety – no doubt that is a core value and they get a check in the box there. But this is an expectation of every company. Integrity – That’s like a woman who gets a tattoo that says “Classy.” You don’t declare that you have integrity. You earn it. When I worked there, I was asked to do things that I felt were ethically wrong. I talked with an executive, whom I held in high regard, and he explained that sometimes you have to do things that go against your values - that’s a consequence of working for a privately held company run by people with these types of personalities. Google search “tva fire protection nrc violation day & zimmermann” and watch the video. The motto of “We do what we say.” should include the caveat of “…sometimes.” Don’t get me wrong on this. Despite the TVA violation, I am not implying that they willfully violate the law. But, I would describe their tactics as ruthless. Their motto should be “We do whatever it takes.” That is more suitable. Diversity – Unfortunately, I don’t think they take this seriously. Look at the leadership: there is not one woman, Latino, Asian, person of color, LBGT, or any other minority representation. Every meeting begins with someone giving a “diversity” talk. Just words with no meaning or action. I have heard those same people make derogatory comments about blacks, women, and gay people. Success – that fourth core value and is not clearly defined. But it’s clear to me that this success is internally focused. More specifically it comes down to the success of the senior leadership and their chosen insiders. When working there, it was clear that there are two distinct categories: insiders and outsiders. Insiders are pervasive throughout the entire organization and at every level of the company. Good for them. Their jobs are secure. They are characterized by tenure with the company and personal relationships with the leadership. If you are an insider, there is a different set of rules. If you’re an outsider, you will never be successful and you are certainly not going to retire from this company. So, would I recommend working there? If you’re comfortable working in an environment where you’re not likely to be successful. Where you will never be fully trusted or considered part of the team. Where you have to walk out of rooms backwards – to avoid the knives. Go for it. At least you’ll know what you’re getting yourself into. There are lots of good people there. It’s just difficult to find success. Before you accept an offer. Do your due diligence. Find some of the former employees. Find the person - or persons - who had the position before you. Find the multiple executives who are no longer there. Find some of the former recruiters – who saw firsthand what the company is really about. If you are still considering working there, my final recommendation is get a contract. I would strongly suggest that you refuse to accept a position unless you have a severance clause clearly defined. Because I saw it happen more than once. Someone will tap you on your shoulder and tell you “this is your last day.” And all ties will be cut and no severance will be offered. As a minimum ask to see the severance policy. (Hint: there isn’t one.) To the people that work there – my heart goes out to you. All I can say is “good luck.” I debated sharing this thought. I told a former colleague that DZ is like a combination of dealing with high school drama and the mafia. He said that’s the perfect analogy. You’re going tick someone off because something you might have said, or something that you might not have done, or who you spoke to, or who you didn’t speak to… it’s like crap people deal with in high school. And like the mafia, you never know when that bullet is going to be put in to the back of your head. “Want to go fishing Fredo?” There is dysfunction that is endemic in the organization. I believe that it can be characterized as a lack of emotional intelligence - especially empathy - that exists in the organization. I am so happy to be out of that place. My life is better. Disclaimer: this is 100% my opinion and I am not representing anything as a fact. Everyone should always verify anything they hear or read. (DZ does have great lawyers!)

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.

RSS Feed </> Embed