Day & Zimmermann

www.dayzim.com

Day & Zimmermann Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Day & Zimmermann – US – “Headquarters”

Day & Zimmermann – US – “Headquarters”

Day & Zimmermann Chairman and CEO Hal Yoh III

Hal Yoh III

Great Company to Work for

Operation Manager (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsEmployer that offers jobs a fairly compensated rates.

Excellent Corporate support and relatively flat organization.

ConsBusiness can be cyclical and in 2008 there were a lot of layoffs in engineering.

There are not a lot of offices across the country so field operations are left to themselves but this is overcome with excellent project managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only reason I am not still with this company is the Security Services division was sold to another company.

It's ok

Pros- Nice people
    - Stated company values
    - Predictable schedule in corporate location
    - Good work/life balance and integration

Cons- inconsistent messages between leadership and middle managers
    - leaders are aloof and not connected to employees
    - pay is NOT competitive
    - employer does not invest in training and developing employees
    - no clear way to promotion; people get promoted into jobs that are never posted or made public
    - very little diversity in management and leadership (although they claim it to be a core value)

Advice to Senior Management- get out of your offices and start spending time with employees in the organization
    - invest time and money into employees instead of treating them like cogs
    - pay your good people competitively
    - post all jobs and have a competitive promotion process
    - stop hiring and promoting "nice people" and hire and promote the QUALIFIED people

Excellent Employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsThis company has many many top notch people from the industry working for them. The managers at various levels of the company are well qualified and willing to teach.

ConsDepending on the position you have there is a lot of travel involved. That's more of a personal problem than a company problem. When traveling you are always compensated fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of bonus stands out to all of D&Z employees as odd for a company this large. If the policy is not to give bonuses it would be nice to have an explanation as to why that is the policy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Leadership

ProsTop level management has the long term success of the company in mind. It is a growing business and has a reputation to back it.

ConsFormal dress code is required with business causal allowed in the warmer months

Great HR Department, Great learning experience, would love to go back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearned much more than anticipated while at D&Z. Great company that has a strong and diverse culture.

ConsToo long of a commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recruiting the younger generation. They are bright and they are the future!

A paycheck, but not much more

Site Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey are a widespread company, with many locations to move to and the chance for advancement.

ConsThe management was oft times disorganized, and the pay of lower level employees was nothing to write home about.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe low level employees are the everyday face of your company. When you pay low wages, along with terribly over-priced health benefits, you make it difficult to recruit and retain quality people.

not so worried about corporate "safety" are they??

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI liked the experiences I've had there. The work is good, I've learned a lot, but my job is pretty much the same every day.

Cons1) They talk about Safety being huge there (which doesn't typically apply to the everyday worker at the corporate office) but when the city of Philadelphia shuts down for Hurricane Sandy for 2 days or a huge snowfall that the city cannot keep roads clear, the CEO sends an email saying that the office is open & we can wear jeans. They make it a huge deal to make sure that the managers are keeping their people safe (& they do a good job of telling employees to stay home but that means one of your days off) but heaven forbid that the CEO follows the mayor's orders for people to stay out of the city.
    2) The health care sucks!!! It's expensive & doesn't cover a lot AT ALL.
    3) They're in the CBS building so you're 1/4 mi north of center city. There is a shuttle that runs in the morning & again in the evenings. It's fine except when it's not running during the day or when shuttle A fails to make it back in time for a scheduled pickup & shuttle B that is next in line after shuttle A will just sit at the end of the street & not pick up anyone because it's not their scheduled time. Or when you get an overly talkative driver or other passengers. Also, since they're on Spring Garden the food is pretty much junk food around there (pizza, chinese, or expensive saladworks).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell everyone that you care about safety but expect me to drive through Hurricane Sandy to get to work because you don't want to give us the day off. Just stop doing everything to cut costs. At some point it's going to backfire & make people regret taking the job. Also, hire more IT folks to fix SAP issues. Do whatever you need to keep the co-ops full time because they're needed. Sometimes they're the only ones who are reliable to fix an issue quickly.

They have a tendency to try to cut wages

Nuclear Rigger (Current Employee) Southport, NC

ProsThe work done is very good

ConsThey try to keep there wages as low as possible

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as you treat your management

Best company ever

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSimply stated they care about their employees

ConsI do not think there are any

health physics technician

Senior Health Physics Technician (Current Employee) Covert, MI

ProsI have been treated extremely well by DZ. I have n o complaints.

Consnot enough plants for outages

Worked for Day & Zimmermann? Contribute to the Community!