Dayton Metro Library

4.0
CEO

1. Great workplace for students

Former Employee - Library Aide in Dayton, OH

I worked at Dayton Metro Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours, friendly coworkers, easy work. Accessible managers, simple system, little skill required. New facilities in the works.

Cons

"Low-risk low-reward" workplace (little incentive to do well), monotonous work, questionably competent senior management. Less emphasis on books and more emphasis on computers, becoming more of a community center than a library.

Advice to Management

Provide better incentives for permanent employees to do their jobs well rather than rewarding lowest common denominators.

2. Wonderful!

I worked at Dayton Metro Library

Pros

A very peaceful peaceful place to work. I only worked here part-time, but I had a lot of fun learning the dewey decimal system, and worked with some great people. The management was very supportive and promoted open communication. Even though we were the lowest level employees, they consistently reinforced our importance to the whole company and treated us as such.

Cons

Some of the librarians could be grumpy and difficult to deal with. There was also a huge amount of creeps and perverts who came in to the library, and the "security" associates were less than willing to get up from their seats. Otherwise, I had a really great experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I know times are tough with threats of cutbacks, but I have faith that you'll pull through. You've done a great job motivating your lower level employees!