Daytona State College

Daytona State College Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Poor Management with favoritism of other employees

Chemistry Lab (Former Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsIt was a good job for convenience while attending classes at the Dayton

ConsManagement employees have been their for years and therefore can seem to be unable to use far work ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was apprehended by my manager about a conversation between another employee in which their was not a problem, however my manager had lunch with this girl every day and the girl lied and told my manager a complete lie about our conversation on how to set-up the chemistry lab. I feel that it would have been better for my manager to have had a meeting with the both of us together;, this way the other girl would have had to be honest about the conversation we had about how the manager expected us to set up the chemistry lab.

Great company to work for

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsGreat schedule flexibility, plenty of opportunites to make extra cash.

ConsAustere times mean cutting back on budget so the opportunities from time to time may be less.

Overall, a positive experience, but may depend upon the department..

Innovation Center Manager (Former Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsIn the department I worked in, there was a family like atmosphere- and everyone in that department was very invested in what they did. Working with professors was a very positive experience, and even as a student this was more exceptional than where I completed my Bachelors.

ConsLots of hiring freezes. Many other departments had issues, along with unhealthy internal competition between departments. The college is not on one page, poor management could be an issue with many departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micromanage. Find common goals in other departments, and find a way to work with them toward those goals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

College is great to work for with very good benefits

Student Account Specialist (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

Pros40 hr work week with many benefits.

ConsWork can get boring and repetitive.

Great Team, average organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team to work with, high levels of communication, out of the box thinking to solve very intricate issues. The potential to work with motivated and caring individuals is second to none.

ConsOutside of the team the organization is best by a deep addiction to politics and vertical siloing of information to the point that solution may be approved and then not implemented for years.

It was ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pros woudl be the time off

ConsThe cons would be the pay and no upward advancement

Good place to work but the pay is low.

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsThe people are nice and the job is easy.

ConsThe pay is really low.

Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get lots of time off here and if you like a repetitive job where for 10 years you do the same thing this place is for you.

ConsJust like everyone else has said working at this place was a joke. They only care about donors family members and the executive families. I was in the same position for almost 10 years. No matter how many degrees you get, how hard you work, or how responsible you are, if you don't know someone in upper management or do special questionable favors for upper management you won't go anywhere. I saw multiple times where people with no degrees / experience were getting promoted to levels they didn't even qualify for. I am so glad I left this place to work at a place where I pay more in taxes than I would make in a years salary there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a complete overhaul of management. You need to boost the morale of the majority of the workers. Force management to not be allowed to stay in the same position for more than 2 years.

Run

Financial Aid Specialist (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsBenefits (not including pay) are good and hours are stable.
    Great teachers.

ConsI have never encountered such inadequate supervisors and administrators. This small-town college is a trap-door. Bureaucracy doesn’t even begin to describe this place of employment. DSC is a direct reflection of how backwards the government and politics in Volusia county are. If you are not a friend of an administrator or a friend of a wealthy contributor then you are very un-likely to get a job here at DSC; no matter how qualified you may be or how many years of experience you may possess. This small groups of administrators are so tightly knitted that even if by the grace of God you were offered a job there is little to no chance of excelling. Inappropriate friendships as well as a lack of communication between all departments and within most departments seem to be the theme here at DSC. Use this job as a resume builder and keep it moving. The politics here will eat you alive. Document everything because that is just how nasty things can get at DSC.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training and stop with the politics.

Too much politics, no room for advancement, but very accommodating.

Programmer II (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedules.
    Frequent updates to technology both in and out of classroom.
    Relatively consistent pay raises (compared with school districts).

ConsFar too much politics and bureaucracy.
    Next to no room for advancement within departments unless middle management retires.
    Too much micromanagement.
    Compensation is not competitive, even when compared with other public entities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the red tape and allow room for employees to grow beyond their current positions. The mindset is to achieve middle management status and then stay at that level until retirement. This means most employees have little advancement potential, even after 10+ years.

Worked for Daytona State College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daytona State College reviews and ratings. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Daytona State College employees.