Daytop Village Reviews

Updated July 1, 2014
Updated July 1, 2014

2.0

Mike Dailey

Daytop was a pioneer in the field of Substance Abuse. It was a place to to learn and grow.

I have been working at Daytop Village

Pros

Daytop was once a great company to work for.

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Good luck!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Daytop Village full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay the bills, but can't say I learn anything. I had great expectations, but you can't swim against the tide of the old culture.

Cons

No pension. Horrible benefits if any. There are good people on management who really tried their very best to turn the fate of this organization around, but the old culture of doing things did not allowed any positive changes. The Board of Directors is very disorganized and more like a social gathering than a philanthropic one. This organization had great potential, but their board of directors were their worst enemy. They were stuck in the 70's and refused to move on with times. I expected way better from an organization that has been pioneer in human services.

Team building! Never seen such a divided way of doing things. Management do not consult each other before making decisions. This place also is very MAD MEN like. Women are not professionally respected as men equal.

Where not to work

Current Employee - Food Service Supervisor  in  Mendham, NJ
    Current Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Mendham, NJ

I have been working at Daytop Village full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience in rehab work environment

Cons

management not easy to work with

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rapidly falling apart

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Daytop Village full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow employees are great team players and the passion to help the clients is wonderful. The agency has such a great mission and their work is so important within the communities.

Cons

Decisions based on employee compensation/promotions are based on preferences and which senior manager is asked for a raise determines the answer - there's a lack of decisions based on policies and fairness across the board.

Senior management reacts to situations, instead of strategizing and planning ahead. This leads to impulsive decisions which aren't in the agency's best interest.

Once upon a time it was a great place to work for the Original founder Monsignor O'Brien.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Daytop Village full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Before new management took over it was a great place to work.

Cons

No pension plan. Misuse of former and existing employees old pension plan. No cola raises, very high insurance premiums.

Mr. Daily needs a little time at the Manor House.

Forgot who they were!

I worked at Daytop Village full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

program use to have the desire to make a difference in the lives of the clients and the community.

Cons

Lost their way and became a mill

Use to be a leader in the field

I have been working at Daytop Village

Pros

Majority of counselors are dedicated

Cons

Low salary, long hours, to many changes and high turnover, no direction

Get out into the front line and listen to the employees and the clients

Fulfilling yet frustrating .... exciting yet mystifying .... predictable yet chaotic

Former Employee - Research  in  Swan Lake, NY
    Former Employee - Research in Swan Lake, NY

I worked at Daytop Village part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Camaraderie with co-workers and clients. A solid sense of family and belonging with consistent accountability. A relatively appropriate concern for your well-being. Helpful, positive attitude-building and educational discussions and seminars with management, co-workers and industry experts.

Cons

Poor management practices from the top, all the way down. Mostly nice people with no business experience. Most of the upper management executives are addicts that came for treatment and never left, therefore they lack true business acumen and education. Reactionary responses to problems that never get solved over the long term. The tail chases the dog constantly. Some of the departments, e.g. H.R., Accounting, Registration, have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE.

Hire facility directors that have business degrees. At that level it is more about profitability and sustainability than it is about treatment. Let the counselors do their jobs and you do yours. Have more extensive checks and balances with accounting and auditing. Stop hiring through nepotism and cronyism---hire people with skills that are not ALL addicts.

Great people, great place

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor Intern  in  Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor Intern in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Daytop Village

Pros

I only worked at Daytop Village in Staten Island, NY for a limited time since I was there as an intern, but, during that limited time, I had a great experience.

Cons

I don't this that they had too much money to work with and so it wasn't the most up to date workplace.

Worked for Daytop Village? Contribute to the Community!