De Anza College

Math tutor

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at De Anza College

Pros

learn how to tutor students

Cons

many working hours with different students

nothing. its perfect

They don't treat their lecturers well.

I worked at De Anza College

Pros

The classrooms are modern, with computers and internet connections.

Cons

No office space for lecturers. They wait until the last minute to let lecturers know if they even have a job each quarter.

Great in the classroom, just O.K. in the boardroom

I have been working at De Anza College

Pros

Enjoy the independence I have conceiving, designing, and executing course content.

Cons

Too many here want to impose their view of what college should be on me, my students, and my classroom.

Love teaching at De Anza

Current Employee - Part Time Instructor in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Instructor in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at De Anza College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working in a community college is that you really feel part of the college. You get to know not only colleagues in your department but from other departments as well, and you can learn from each other. De Anza is especially good at fostering community among instructors.Most instructors truly love teaching and care for students and that makes for a great work environment. Supervisors are very supportive, and there are tons of opportunities for Professional growth through workshops offered through the year.

Cons

Not actually cons, but something to consider. Since its a community college, class sizes are big (min 50), so if you are teaching 3-4 classes, there is not enough time to provide individual attention to students.

Had a great time working in the De Anza College library

I worked at De Anza College part-time

Pros

Working in the library is stress-free and relaxing, which is a very good thing when you have a killer line-up of classes for the quarter. It's also a very convenient place to work (obviously) if you're taking classes at De Anza.

Cons

The pay is not great, although it can be fairly competitive (for a no-experience-required job) if you stay on for a year or more and get promoted. Also, some of the supervisors can be difficult to get along with (office politics and all that) but that is true of any place you work.

Nurturing Work Environment for Personal Development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at De Anza College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

For a community college student, I worked the full 25 hours allowed throughout the week with very helpful supervisors (in both the Bookstore and the Tutoring Center). Payroll was always on time and very organized (thanks to people like Patrick and Mari)! I was definitely taught the importance of timeliness, self-book keeping, efficiency (and promotions), as well as the benefits paid off from hard work.

Becoming a well-rounded bookstore employee, a drop-in tutor, a Senior Tutor to mentor the incoming tutors, and balancing it all as a student truly helped me manage my time for future opportunities.

Cons

Though networking is great and employers truly sympathized with schooling schedules, it's hard to keep in contact with fellow colleagues as well as supervisors since colleagues come and go (just as you do as a student rearing to transfer) and supervisors tend to move onto other work opportunities elsewhere.

I suggest extra attention to those you hold dearly for references and advice.

Wonderful experience, marvelous work environment, great supervisor/staff. 5/5

Current Employee - Accounting/Cashiering Assistant in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting/Cashiering Assistant in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at De Anza College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supervisor cares for you! Flexible schedule! I was able to learn many skills from working here from technical to communication. It was my first office job and I love the experience! The people are very understanding and friendly.

Cons

Nothing really con about this job. I think more training would of been great. Worker can abuse the "easygoing-ness" of the supervisor during working hours.

Respect

Political Correctness

I worked at De Anza College

Pros

A lot of good-hearted people. Commitment to excellence (for a two-year college).

Cons

Very little room for improv or lateral movement due to union restrictions. Political correctness prioritized over individual people means judgmental superiors, politics, and discriminatory treatment.

Your people matter, particularly if they want to learn your point of view and help you succeed. Inflexibility and self-righteousness are nothing to be proud of, even if they're done for the right reasons.

Good people, but the bureaucracy makes it almost impossible to be effective.

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Cupertino, CA

I worked at De Anza College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A beautiful campus, lots of people who are passionate about what they're doing, students are generally hard-working and intelligent.

Cons

Those who contribute to this place negatively tend to be truly toxic - goes to show how terrible it is when an employee goes sour. Because of the bureaucracy it becomes almost impossible to get around them, to get them even reviewed, etc.

Institute reviews on a regular basis and actually follow through on them.

interaction with customers and making coffee

Former Employee - Barista in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Cupertino, CA

I worked at De Anza College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

employers are nice and generous, so as my co workers

Cons

have to commit a two year