DeNA Reviews

Shintaro Asako

1. Excellent company to grow

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA

Pros

Good company, excellent benefits.
    Excellent salaries
    Strong position in Japan allows the company to use strong ips for their titles.

Cons

It is hard to learn how the company works at the beginning.

Keep the current strategy. It looks promising.

2. It's pretty ok place to work.

Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast pace mobile game dev. company with ok time-off, work-form-home, salary, and benefits.

Cons

Its culture fits certain people but not for others. Work-life balance seems good but there are too much after-work-drinking.

3. "I love my job. Excellent benefits, people, laudable core values. Unclear path to profitability"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful location, catered meals, excellent HR staff
    Teammates friendly smart and interesting
    Flexible hours depending on project
    Results-oriented
    Unreasonable goals

Cons

Unclear path to profitability.
    Lots of "gatcha" mechanics in Western games; tendency to infuse games with Asian mechanics
    Hi Burn Rate- Benefits, perks, # of execs, # of projects that don't make money
    Efficiency does not seem to be a priority; often lots of interruptions and noise.

Prefer ad-hoc one on ones with senior level staff and jr staff alike, from all departments, rather than top-down command and control meetings where we preach values.
    Ie, give people a chance to "speak-up" by creating opportunities to "listen down"

Operations and Infrastructure team at DeNA

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The operations team at DeNA is a highly collaborative group of intelligent and experienced individuals. While it's nice to talk about war stories and bond over the battle wounds of operational hellfire past. This team would rather talk over lunch about their weekend plans or go on a movie outing, because frankly they are smart enough to avoid most of the brimstone that you find in other large infrastructure deployments. It's true that their hardware is not magic and their tools are no different than the rest of the industries, but they are able to handle outages and more importantly the people that are affected by them with, dare I say it, a bit of grace?! Think of your worst experience with an IT/Operations team then think about what made you feel that way. That's what this team thinks about every time it meets to consider how we can make our clients lives a little easier, and frankly how we can keep our lives easy.

Cons

As with any team that can see across the entire organization, the problems that recur are the most disheartening. The entire organization would be better off if it would take more cues from the operations and infrastructure team.

Spend more time listening to the operations teams thoughts on how best to scale the technology stacks to be more game agnostic and easier to move between game teams.

Not terrible...heard it's improved since I've left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at the company for about two years. I was able to build new friendships quickly, and team and overall company dynamics back in 2011-2012 were great. I found people passionate about building fun, original games.

Cons

As time went by, the overall culture seemed to evolve into one that favored partying and massive drinking over productivity. Certain folks would come in at 11 and leave at 4 (and paid very well for their short time in the office), and performance reviews simply did not exist. On the flip side, other teams would work insane hours - I'd come in at 10 but leave sometimes at 2AM, but were never really recognized for their efforts.

Reward and recognize employees who show effort to contribute to the company. Don't promote people for the sake of retaining people. Keep those who actually care about the product and services DeNA offers.

Engineering black hole

I worked at DeNA

Pros

Work life balance depending on what team you are on.
    Free food, snacks, good benefits
    A very few smart people worth working with.
    Friendly people.

Cons

I was an engineer at DeNA, so I will be speaking from an engineer's perspective.

This is the place where you will see one of the worst engineering practices being done. If that's your thing, by all means, join this place. Most of the engineering managers are just a bunch of deadweight loss that don't really add value to the company. Only a few are intelligent and know what they are doing.

There is currently no VP of engineering and CTO. This is a HUGE red flag for any engineer thinking of joining this company. DeNA does not care about the technology/practices used to build its games.

People are getting laid off/fired left and right, but upper management will tell everyone else that those people voluntarily quit the company. So much for transparency.

Fire those deadweight loss.

My experience began wonderfully, and my role fulfilling, but studio management changed and things turned sour.

Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture skewed positive, great location, nice perqs overall. Good work/life balance.

Cons

No longer a friendly environment for creatives, in fact I can say unequivocally that it had become hostile. I was told my job could be outsourced for less money.

Suggest a more merit based approach to executive level hiring and promotions. HR process and protocols should really be audited and perhaps overhauled to be in compliance with state and federal employment law, and best practices generally.

9. Good people

I have been working at DeNA full-time

Pros

Lots of good people work here

Cons

Stuck in Free-to-Play model, mostly unoriginal products.

Great people, great vision, great (upcoming) games.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the culture is awesome! There are people from all walks of life that have come from mobile, console and many other places to work here.

If you want to get promoted, you will. Speak up and work hard and you'll be rewarded. Too many people are obsessed with immediate satisfaction and don't stay with the company long enough to really see the upside. Work hard, have fun and you'll have a job you will enjoy for years to come.

Work/Life balance is awesome. I enjoy working within my own hours and not required hours that are set arbitrarily .

The food is pretty amazing too...

Cons

The pay isn't the best. The office is a little meh...not your typical gaming company office space. No real hit titles yet, but they're coming! The desk pods are a bit annoying and not really conducive to communication. No real centralized area to play and engage with your coworkers (a MUST for a gaming company). Needs a proper centralized gaming area (not just tucked away in the corner of the office).

10 years in the gaming industry and this is the worst job I've ever had.

I worked at DeNA

Pros

• Free food and impressive snack wall.

Cons

• Awful on-boarding process. My boss didn't even know I started my first day.
    • Poor communication with senior managers.
    • There is a core blame game that likes to get passed around if things don't go right.
    • Passive-aggressive and normal aggressive co-workers.
    • Working from home is a not a real option.
    • Language barriers

Generally speaking, there is a lot of blame and little accountability with senior management. If something doesn't go according to plan, they'll pick employees they don't like, put them on a project that isn't going well and set them up to fail.

DeNA Response

Jul 11, 2014VP Operations, DeNA West

Thank you for your feedback. As part of our on-boarding process we make sure all employees are set up for success and feel welcomed from day one; therefore I am sorry to hear you feel you did not ... More