DeNA Reviews

Operations and Infrastructure team at DeNA

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The operations team at DeNA is a highly collaborative group of intelligent and experienced individuals. While it's nice to talk about war stories and bond over the battle wounds of operational hellfire past. This team would rather talk over lunch about their weekend plans or go on a movie outing, because frankly they are smart enough to avoid most of the brimstone that you find in other large infrastructure deployments. It's true that their hardware is not magic and their tools are no different than the rest of the industries, but they are able to handle outages and more importantly the people that are affected by them with, dare I say it, a bit of grace?! Think of your worst experience with an IT/Operations team then think about what made you feel that way. That's what this team thinks about every time it meets to consider how we can make our clients lives a little easier, and frankly how we can keep our lives easy.

Cons

As with any team that can see across the entire organization, the problems that recur are the most disheartening. The entire organization would be better off if it would take more cues from the operations and infrastructure team.

Spend more time listening to the operations teams thoughts on how best to scale the technology stacks to be more game agnostic and easier to move between game teams.

Not terrible...heard it's improved since I've left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at the company for about two years. I was able to build new friendships quickly, and team and overall company dynamics back in 2011-2012 were great. I found people passionate about building fun, original games.

Cons

As time went by, the overall culture seemed to evolve into one that favored partying and massive drinking over productivity. Certain folks would come in at 11 and leave at 4 (and paid very well for their short time in the office), and performance reviews simply did not exist. On the flip side, other teams would work insane hours - I'd come in at 10 but leave sometimes at 2AM, but were never really recognized for their efforts.

Reward and recognize employees who show effort to contribute to the company. Don't promote people for the sake of retaining people. Keep those who actually care about the product and services DeNA offers.

My experience began wonderfully, and my role fulfilling, but studio management changed and things turned sour.

Former Employee - Lead Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture skewed positive, great location, nice perqs overall. Good work/life balance.

Cons

No longer a friendly environment for creatives, in fact I can say unequivocally that it had become hostile. I was told my job could be outsourced for less money.

Suggest a more merit based approach to executive level hiring and promotions. HR process and protocols should really be audited and perhaps overhauled to be in compliance with state and federal employment law, and best practices generally.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineers... If you want people to value what you do, stay away from this place.

I have been working at DeNA

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch, dinner.
    Comprehensive benefits.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

- Upper management does not see the value that good engineering practices add to the company.
    - 'Transparency' is one of their core values but upper management always keeps everyone in the dark about.... pretty much everything.
    - 'Speak Up' is one of DeNA's core values but, if you 'Speak Up', you will be shown the door. This has happened to multiple people who are not with the company anymore.
    - Way too much politics. The ones who care and are competent get back-stabbed by upper management and the Japanese employees.
    - VERY toxic work environment.
    - People are leaving every week.

Get rid of that ego. You are trying to open a business in US, so, please, learn to reward people based on merit (other than ....)

Good people

I have been working at DeNA full-time

Pros

Lots of good people work here

Cons

Stuck in Free-to-Play model, mostly unoriginal products.

Great people, great vision, great (upcoming) games.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are awesome and the culture is awesome! There are people from all walks of life that have come from mobile, console and many other places to work here.

If you want to get promoted, you will. Speak up and work hard and you'll be rewarded. Too many people are obsessed with immediate satisfaction and don't stay with the company long enough to really see the upside. Work hard, have fun and you'll have a job you will enjoy for years to come.

Work/Life balance is awesome. I enjoy working within my own hours and not required hours that are set arbitrarily .

The food is pretty amazing too...

Cons

The pay isn't the best. The office is a little meh...not your typical gaming company office space. No real hit titles yet, but they're coming! The desk pods are a bit annoying and not really conducive to communication. No real centralized area to play and engage with your coworkers (a MUST for a gaming company). Needs a proper centralized gaming area (not just tucked away in the corner of the office).

10 years in the gaming industry and this is the worst job I've ever had.

I worked at DeNA

Pros

• Free food and impressive snack wall.

Cons

• Awful on-boarding process. My boss didn't even know I started my first day.
    • Poor communication with senior managers.
    • There is a core blame game that likes to get passed around if things don't go right.
    • Passive-aggressive and normal aggressive co-workers.
    • Working from home is a not a real option.
    • Language barriers

Generally speaking, there is a lot of blame and little accountability with senior management. If something doesn't go according to plan, they'll pick employees they don't like, put them on a project that isn't going well and set them up to fail.

DeNA Response

Jul 11, 2014VP Operations, DeNA West

Thank you for your feedback. As part of our on-boarding process we make sure all employees are set up for success and feel welcomed from day one; therefore I am sorry to hear you feel you did not ... More

Political garbage can with horrible execs

Current Employee - Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Food, drinks, alcohol.
    - A culture team that somehow manages to throw decent events.
    - After working here for a while the job opportunities outside of the company increase
    - Highly overqualified and under utilized employees
    - If you play politics over work, you can go far here.

Cons

- Not a meritocracy
    - Inexperienced executives. They keep promoting themselves without having delivered anything. Executives are the reason this company is failing as they create a political work environment. Some don't realize how obvious it is to everyone they have no clue what they are doing,
    - Low salary, no real stock options, no bonuses
    - Politically infested and hostile work environment

Step down. Fire the whole executive team before they run the company into the ground.

So far a good experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work/life balance.
    - Accessible place with many transportation options.
    - Breakfast, lunch, free snacks/drinks (including energy drinks and beer).
    - Reimbursement for gym, phone and Japanese lessons (our HQ is in Japan).
    - Good compensation and benefits.
    - Up-to-date workstations.
    - A game room and nerf weapons available for nerf retaliation.
    - Occasional sightings of a hilarious water vehicle that passes under the adjacent bridge.

Cons

Some people seem unhappy, and you can see some of those opinions here. My message to them is:

- Making a hit game is hard. If certain game did not become a hit and that makes you unhappy, you will be unhappy at any other company. This is the reality of the industry. Just keep persevering.

- It is true that notable people have left the company, but it is a fallacy to think that the talent is gone. I've met many of the new hires, seen their work, and they are doing well. I've also seen our job postings and I am sure that the company has established reasonably high standards for prospect employees.

Each time I've any feedback, I've discussed it with them openly, and the reception has been positive. I do not need to do it anonymously on this site.

A great place to get your career started

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During most of my time at DeNA one of the core values was ownership. You'll have the opportunity to own a part of the business, and if you're capable and innovative, you'll earn the recognition you deserve.

Cons

The business strategy continually pivoted. While not innately negative, past learnings were often ignored which led to costly errors and time lost.

Worked for DeNA? Contribute to the Community!