DeNA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Shintaro Asako

Pros
  • Work life balance depending on what team you are on (in 5 reviews)

• They provide catered meals, have a fully stocked kitchen and tons of fun events (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • But that's more an issue with San Francisco as a whole (in 5 reviews)

• Many of the best people are leaving at noticeable rate and, with slow hiring, technical workers get extra work (in 3 reviews)

1. Project Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits - Collaborative environment - DeNA encourages new ideas and allows us to try new approaches. If we succeed, great. If it didn't work no one is to blame, we learn from it and move forward. - Amazing people. Smart, friendly, social - Really good options for catered lunches and great breakfast too

Cons

- Morale has been down but execs are doing their best to reinvigorate the team. Already seeing an improvement. - Area gets busy and loud during baseball games

2. Great Culture with Questionable Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DeNA has great benefits (fully covered health insurance, catered breakfast & lunch) and a friendly culture.

Cons

Global company mission and western company strategy have been questionable for years. DeNA West seems to wander from one strategy to the next. While the culture is friendly, there is little respect for the western and global CEOs or studio management in the west.

Advice to Management

Find a new studio leader. Focus game teams on building games in genres that align with their expertise. Stop targeting oversaturated genres. Doing the same thing everyone else is doing in gaming is a guaranteed way to fail.

DeNA Response

Aug 17, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking time to post your opinions. I agree that we have a great company culture with competitive benefits. We take pride in providing our team members with the best possible work ... More

Suffers from poor vision and execution in the west

I worked at DeNA full-time

Pros

Typical benefits for the area ie catered lunches etc.

Cons

No carer path or growth for employees. Lowest level employes are blamed when top down decisions fail. There is a heavy culture of finding scape goats rather than addressing key issues. Many projects are bloated while others woefully understaffed. High turn over rate makes it hard to find experienced expertise.

5. NOBODY wants to work here or be here

I worked at DeNA full-time

Pros

- China Basin office location next to the ballpark is good - Usual SF office perks in terms of snacks and meals - At least SF will get to claim they're "successful" once they help promote Nintendo games in the West

Cons

- Senior leadership team that is all Japanese and has failed on so many levels since DENA acquired ngmoco. - Retention has been awful. It's been a revolving door of people coming and going once they realize the abysmal situation. - Leadership has blacklisted people who "speak-up" or have basically driven them out of the studio. - Horrible product decisions from crappy rushed games to spending millions on user acquisition campaigns with extremely poor returns on investment. - Transferred some employees from the failed Vancouver studio who are clearly not happy to be here and are apparently just going along with it because they got fat raises or they're work/immigration paperwork is controlled by DENA. - CEO's knowledge of games and the industry is laughable. Just a hollow figurehead being controlled by Japanese HQ because he can speak fluent English and Japanese. - Quality and execution on the tech side is a joke. - It honestly feels that if you're not Japanese or one of their few puppets left, there is no chance for advancement or having impact in this studio.

Advice to Management

This advice is directed to CEO in Japan. If you're serious about the West then rebuild DENA offices here and get rid of the current leadership group. Their failures in so many areas has killed this office and has created a horrible reptuation in the city. Nobody in this industry wants to work at DENA.

DeNA Response

Aug 17, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your candid thoughts regarding DeNA West management and practices. Many companies deal with employees leaving for other opportunities and that simply is the reality of running a ... More

6. Great people, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I truly loved most of the people at DeNA. They were engaged, quirky, fun. The culture began to do gown downhill in the last year, becoming a bit more corporate and Japanese. But I still enjoyed most of the folks I worked with. They do offer some great perks: Hot lunch, endless snacks, parties, gym reimbursement, though some of those may be falling away following the recent layoffs.

Cons

The company strategy always seemed to be changing, and we never arrived at those hits promised. The management is now largely Japanese, and they don't have a good understanding of Western tech culture or the Western market. Pay, especially for software engineers, is below market rate.

Advice to Management

Bring in a Western CEO with a proven record in the games industry. Try and understand (and care about!) how your decisions affect company culture.

Depressing place to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! I made a great network while I was there. The people rotate really fast. You would be promoted quickly if you could hang on to a position.

Cons

Executives sucks. I don't know if they have any ideas how to run a company. The place currently looks really depressing.

8. Good People, Confused Management

Former Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, decent benefits, lots of good people to work with.

Cons

Far too much staff churn. The headquarters in Tokyo doesn't seem to know what it wants to do the subsidiary in SF and direction changes frequently.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan and stick to it. Focus on retaining people.

9. Good place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a good experience working here. When hired, they offered 1 month temporary housing which I declined. I had a rough divorce 4 months into my employment, and asked if they could give me that temporary housing still. They gave it to me, which was awesome. Almost 1 year into my employment, they had a major layoff. The severance was average, with the exception of giving me a macbook pro. The macbook pro was awesome; thank you.

Cons

Company was not doing so well and had layoffs.

10. Great company with solid core values

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commitment to building a quality product. Core company values. Creative culture of fun and innovation.

Cons

Sometimes the cold-brew coffee runs out.

Advice to Management

With DeNA's core values and vision, the company is poised to grow and succeed.

Hard to see how it will grow since it has lots of problems

I have been working at DeNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, friendly and fun place, but they are losing this good culture.

Cons

Not good management, low efficiency.

Advice to Management

Make better decisions, hire people who cares

RSS Feed </> Embed