DeNA

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Shintaro Asako

Best Mobile Games Studio in Vancouver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- This is an awesome work environment with an energetic and passionate culture that gets sh!t done. People take pride in their work and go the extra mile to polish and deliver.

- We have the freedom to explore and develop games from internal game pitches. It's exciting to see some of our game pitches evolve into games that go into production and hit the world wide markets!

- The studio has really strong tribal knowledge and expertise when it comes to monetization, retention and live operations strategies. Working here, you will learn a lot about the x's and o's of mobile and freemium.

- Bar none, DeNA has the best work perks in the city versus other game companies (free lunches, free gym, personal internet/phone expense covered). You save a ton of your own personal money thanks to some of these perks.

- Really cool office in terms of location and amenities including regular BBQs in a pimp patio set-up. It's just a chill place to be on Friday evenings to have a beer with your peers while the studio leads are cooking up something delicious on the grill.

- DeNA does a pretty good job of practicing what they preach. Acting on the core values of the company are openly encouraged and demonstrated on a regular basis regardless of your position.

Cons

- The work life balance is pretty good overall, but there are times when everyone needs to crunch hard to hit deadlines. This is an issue in almost all game studios and DeNA is no exception.

- This office has been so quickly growing that space is at a premium so desks clusters in some areas can be a little tight packed. It's not sweat shop yet, but we definitely could have used a bigger office in hindsight.

- We have sister studios in San Francisco and Santiago that we work closely with. But as with any long distance relationship, it can be really challenging because if you're out of sight then you're out of mind.

- Although the perks and benefits are top notch, the overall medical benefits plan could be improved with getting our basic MSP monthly coverage covered, but that's nit-picking a bit.

- It would be nice to have resources in house to be a fully autonomous studio instead of having to rely on the San Francisco office and out-source companies. Doing as much as possible in house will improve agility, efficiency and quality in the long run.

- Continue letting your star players pitch game ideas and drive the future success of the company on the wheels of innovation. Our competitive edge will come from leading the pack when it comes to taking risks and developing games that don't replicate other games.

- Our next big hits will come internally, not from a partnership with an external developer. Believe in your people and their ability to develop a hit and give them the resources and right time frames to achieve their vision.

Great people, great vision, great (upcoming) games.

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the culture is awesome! There are people from all walks of life that have come from mobile, console and many other places to work here.

If you want to get promoted, you will. Speak up and work hard and you'll be rewarded. Too many people are obsessed with immediate satisfaction and don't stay with the company long enough to really see the upside. Work hard, have fun and you'll have a job you will enjoy for years to come.

Work/Life balance is awesome. I enjoy working within my own hours and not required hours that are set arbitrarily .

The food is pretty amazing too...

Cons

The pay isn't the best. The office is a little meh...not your typical gaming company office space. No real hit titles yet, but they're coming! The desk pods are a bit annoying and not really conducive to communication. No real centralized area to play and engage with your coworkers (a MUST for a gaming company). Needs a proper centralized gaming area (not just tucked away in the corner of the office).

So far a good experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good work/life balance.
    - Accessible place with many transportation options.
    - Breakfast, lunch, free snacks/drinks (including energy drinks and beer).
    - Reimbursement for gym, phone and Japanese lessons (our HQ is in Japan).
    - Good compensation and benefits.
    - Up-to-date workstations.
    - A game room and nerf weapons available for nerf retaliation.
    - Occasional sightings of a hilarious water vehicle that passes under the adjacent bridge.

Cons

Some people seem unhappy, and you can see some of those opinions here. My message to them is:

- Making a hit game is hard. If certain game did not become a hit and that makes you unhappy, you will be unhappy at any other company. This is the reality of the industry. Just keep persevering.

- It is true that notable people have left the company, but it is a fallacy to think that the talent is gone. I've met many of the new hires, seen their work, and they are doing well. I've also seen our job postings and I am sure that the company has established reasonably high standards for prospect employees.

Each time I've any feedback, I've discussed it with them openly, and the reception has been positive. I do not need to do it anonymously on this site.

Come For The Video Games, Stay For The People.

Current Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DeNA always ensures that its employees are happy. They provide catered meals, have a fully stocked kitchen and tons of fun events. The people here are genuine, talented, and friendly. There isn't anyone who is more or less important than the person next to them. It's a wonderful way to work.

Cons

As with any company whose focus is mobile, many employees where many hats. The business pace can be very fast and require quick turnaround to stay on top of things.

Great People, Great Games, Great Company.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture of technological experimentation and innovation.
    - 6 fully stocked beer kegs
    - 3 catered meals a day
    - Very laid back and fun working environment

Cons

- Right next to AT&T ballpark, so there is sometimes traffic during ball season
    - Too many mobile devices, so the WiFi in the office sucks

One of the most welcoming companies EVER!

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

An extremely productive, yet relaxed, work environment. People who care about their job AND their colleagues. A company that cares about its' people. Not to mention yoga and awesome food!

Cons

The commute can be pricey. But that's more an issue with San Francisco as a whole.

Keep moving in the current direction. The expanding focus on the US market is the right move.

Better than I ever expected

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Management cares about my growth
    - I am encouraged to excel and do work outside of my job description
    - Hard work is noticed and rewarded
    - The people are all smart and fun
    - The perks are amazing!
    - There is a very casual, laid back atmosphere.

Cons

- When comparing salaries on glassdoor, it looks like compensation is slightly lower than the SF standards. However, I think the growth opportunities outweigh this.

Pretty fun company, great people, awesome perks!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They focused a lot on making sure everyone was really happy and enjoyed coming to work everyday. The people I worked with are extremely smart and never had any issues with them.

Cons

Communication could have been better, but they started to put in a lot of effort to make it better.

Keep focusing on making great games, and stop milking the old titles. You'll get a major hit soon.

Fun company with a diverse culture

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Established corporate company, but flat management culture make it feel like a start-up
    -Lots of autonomy, support, and financial backing from Global HQ
    -Industry leaders in the mobile gaming space
    -Transparency and acceptance of all opinions is part of company values and is encouraged
    -Fun work enviroment with good benefits
    -Very diverse culture with opportunities to work with global counterparts

Cons

-Branding: Company still has a bit to go to make a name for itself in the West
    -Benefits: Could be better, such as commuting reimbursement and/or 100% premium coverage for dependants medical/dental/vision
    -Getting crowded: Need a bigger office to keep up with growth

Build stronger relationships with your team members

Internship

Current Employee - Social Game Development
    Current Employee - Social Game Development

I have been working at DeNA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1) Good Stipend
    2.) Free Transportation + Free Accommodation
    3.) People are very helping and caring
    4.) Work is not that hard, It's interesting
    5.) Free Lunch

Cons

Very few people can understand and speak English
    The cafe doesn't offer good vegetarian food. It mainly have non-vegetarian food.

Arrange classes for employees to learn English