DeNA

DeNA Reviews

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Shintaro Asako

"I love my job. Excellent benefits, people, laudable core values. Unclear path to profitability"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful location, catered meals, excellent HR staff
    Teammates friendly smart and interesting
    Flexible hours depending on project
    Results-oriented
    Unreasonable goals

Cons

Unclear path to profitability.
    Lots of "gatcha" mechanics in Western games; tendency to infuse games with Asian mechanics
    Hi Burn Rate- Benefits, perks, # of execs, # of projects that don't make money
    Efficiency does not seem to be a priority; often lots of interruptions and noise.

Prefer ad-hoc one on ones with senior level staff and jr staff alike, from all departments, rather than top-down command and control meetings where we preach values.
    Ie, give people a chance to "speak-up" by creating opportunities to "listen down"

Engineering black hole

I worked at DeNA

Pros

Work life balance depending on what team you are on.
    Free food, snacks, good benefits
    A very few smart people worth working with.
    Friendly people.

Cons

I was an engineer at DeNA, so I will be speaking from an engineer's perspective.

This is the place where you will see one of the worst engineering practices being done. If that's your thing, by all means, join this place. Most of the engineering managers are just a bunch of deadweight loss that don't really add value to the company. Only a few are intelligent and know what they are doing.

There is currently no VP of engineering and CTO. This is a HUGE red flag for any engineer thinking of joining this company. DeNA does not care about the technology/practices used to build its games.

People are getting laid off/fired left and right, but upper management will tell everyone else that those people voluntarily quit the company. So much for transparency.

Fire those deadweight loss.

Great to make games, but...

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i love to make games, good people, lunch, good salary

Cons

sometimes the games you are assigned are lame and boring :(

Operations and Infrastructure team at DeNA

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The operations team at DeNA is a highly collaborative group of intelligent and experienced individuals. While it's nice to talk about war stories and bond over the battle wounds of operational hellfire past. This team would rather talk over lunch about their weekend plans or go on a movie outing, because frankly they are smart enough to avoid most of the brimstone that you find in other large infrastructure deployments. It's true that their hardware is not magic and their tools are no different than the rest of the industries, but they are able to handle outages and more importantly the people that are affected by them with, dare I say it, a bit of grace?! Think of your worst experience with an IT/Operations team then think about what made you feel that way. That's what this team thinks about every time it meets to consider how we can make our clients lives a little easier, and frankly how we can keep our lives easy.

Cons

As with any team that can see across the entire organization, the problems that recur are the most disheartening. The entire organization would be better off if it would take more cues from the operations and infrastructure team.

Spend more time listening to the operations teams thoughts on how best to scale the technology stacks to be more game agnostic and easier to move between game teams.

Not terrible...heard it's improved since I've left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at the company for about two years. I was able to build new friendships quickly, and team and overall company dynamics back in 2011-2012 were great. I found people passionate about building fun, original games.

Cons

As time went by, the overall culture seemed to evolve into one that favored partying and massive drinking over productivity. Certain folks would come in at 11 and leave at 4 (and paid very well for their short time in the office), and performance reviews simply did not exist. On the flip side, other teams would work insane hours - I'd come in at 10 but leave sometimes at 2AM, but were never really recognized for their efforts.

Reward and recognize employees who show effort to contribute to the company. Don't promote people for the sake of retaining people. Keep those who actually care about the product and services DeNA offers.

Best Mobile Games Studio in Vancouver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- This is an awesome work environment with an energetic and passionate culture that gets sh!t done. People take pride in their work and go the extra mile to polish and deliver.

- We have the freedom to explore and develop games from internal game pitches. It's exciting to see some of our game pitches evolve into games that go into production and hit the world wide markets!

- The studio has really strong tribal knowledge and expertise when it comes to monetization, retention and live operations strategies. Working here, you will learn a lot about the x's and o's of mobile and freemium.

- Bar none, DeNA has the best work perks in the city versus other game companies (free lunches, free gym, personal internet/phone expense covered). You save a ton of your own personal money thanks to some of these perks.

- Really cool office in terms of location and amenities including regular BBQs in a pimp patio set-up. It's just a chill place to be on Friday evenings to have a beer with your peers while the studio leads are cooking up something delicious on the grill.

- DeNA does a pretty good job of practicing what they preach. Acting on the core values of the company are openly encouraged and demonstrated on a regular basis regardless of your position.

Cons

- The work life balance is pretty good overall, but there are times when everyone needs to crunch hard to hit deadlines. This is an issue in almost all game studios and DeNA is no exception.

- This office has been so quickly growing that space is at a premium so desks clusters in some areas can be a little tight packed. It's not sweat shop yet, but we definitely could have used a bigger office in hindsight.

- We have sister studios in San Francisco and Santiago that we work closely with. But as with any long distance relationship, it can be really challenging because if you're out of sight then you're out of mind.

- Although the perks and benefits are top notch, the overall medical benefits plan could be improved with getting our basic MSP monthly coverage covered, but that's nit-picking a bit.

- It would be nice to have resources in house to be a fully autonomous studio instead of having to rely on the San Francisco office and out-source companies. Doing as much as possible in house will improve agility, efficiency and quality in the long run.

- Continue letting your star players pitch game ideas and drive the future success of the company on the wheels of innovation. Our competitive edge will come from leading the pack when it comes to taking risks and developing games that don't replicate other games.

- Our next big hits will come internally, not from a partnership with an external developer. Believe in your people and their ability to develop a hit and give them the resources and right time frames to achieve their vision.

Engineers... If you want people to value what you do, stay away from this place.

I have been working at DeNA

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch, dinner.
    Comprehensive benefits.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

- Upper management does not see the value that good engineering practices add to the company.
    - 'Transparency' is one of their core values but upper management always keeps everyone in the dark about.... pretty much everything.
    - 'Speak Up' is one of DeNA's core values but, if you 'Speak Up', you will be shown the door. This has happened to multiple people who are not with the company anymore.
    - Way too much politics. The ones who care and are competent get back-stabbed by upper management and the Japanese employees.
    - VERY toxic work environment.
    - People are leaving every week.

Get rid of that ego. You are trying to open a business in US, so, please, learn to reward people based on merit (other than ....)

My experience began wonderfully, and my role fulfilling, but studio management changed and things turned sour.

Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture skewed positive, great location, nice perqs overall. Good work/life balance.

Cons

No longer a friendly environment for creatives, in fact I can say unequivocally that it had become hostile. I was told my job could be outsourced for less money.

Suggest a more merit based approach to executive level hiring and promotions. HR process and protocols should really be audited and perhaps overhauled to be in compliance with state and federal employment law, and best practices generally.

Great environment but not match for gaming business

Former Employee - Business Development in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment for friendly competition but still really supportive to achieve the team and company goal. Benefits and perks were great.

Cons

Some sort of things are bit political due the power of headquarter in Japan. Almost all the things are KPI oriented but still low focus on the cost expenses.

There might be low focus on the training for new graduates.

Good people

I have been working at DeNA full-time

Pros

Lots of good people work here

Cons

Stuck in Free-to-Play model, mostly unoriginal products.