DeNA

DeNA Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014

Shintaro Asako

Fun company with a diverse culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Established corporate company, but flat management culture make it feel like a start-up
    -Lots of autonomy, support, and financial backing from Global HQ
    -Industry leaders in the mobile gaming space
    -Transparency and acceptance of all opinions is part of company values and is encouraged
    -Fun work enviroment with good benefits
    -Very diverse culture with opportunities to work with global counterparts

Cons

-Branding: Company still has a bit to go to make a name for itself in the West
    -Benefits: Could be better, such as commuting reimbursement and/or 100% premium coverage for dependants medical/dental/vision
    -Getting crowded: Need a bigger office to keep up with growth

Build stronger relationships with your team members

Keep doing what you are doing?

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Obviously, HR, Marketing and PR have been hard at work crafting responses to some of the more recent (negative) reviews.

My favorite line? "Getting crowded: Need a bigger office to keep up with growth"

What growth? Recruiting can't keep up with turnover, and the same jobs have been posted for months.

Outside of the free beer, snacks and catered meals, there is very little to gloat about.

Cons

Talent. The best developers are long gone, and when your CEO accepts a COO position with a competitor, that's not a good sign. If DeNA's upcoming releases don't fair well, I wouldn't be surprised if the San Francisco office is "long gone" as well. If you are seeking stability, this isn't the place for you.

It's definitely not "keep doing what you are doing". Time to hit the "reset" button.

Horrible for engineers

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros might be, getting an easy in to the game industry if you are a junior engineer. They also have plenty of snacks and catered breakfast, lunch and dinner. But so does just about every other company in the bay.

You will learn a lot about javascript.

Cons

It's all javascript. I have never seen a company be so belligerent about using only 1 language for all of engineering (client, server, db, cache).

Pay is low.
    No stock options.
    No bonuses.
    No chances for any career advancement.
    Hemorrhaging employees. People are leaving every week.
    You will have a manager but you will only see him every 6 months when he reviews your performance.

Actually engage with employees. We have senior management but who are they? What do they do? This is the least managed company I have ever seen. It completely lacks any direction.

:( No fun

Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chilled office next to ballpark and also close to public transportation like caltrain. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.

Cons

Very political environment with little respect for each other.
    Lots of employees quitting weekly and seems to be more about to leave soon.
    Inexperienced management starting with the execs.

Change the leadership.

When you start with bad genes, you're guaranteed to end up with flawed DeNA"...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DeNA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

An abundance of free alcohol should have been the first sign I was in trouble. When all else fails, drink yourself into oblivion. In hindsight, I probably should have, as the booze would have ameliorated the tedium of showing up for this sh*t show...

Cons

I honestly didn't feel like I could trust my co-workers or supervisor. After I was hired, I was sent home because they wanted me to purchase an expensive insurance policy. I complied, several weeks later my contract was ended, because "plans changed". If I walked out on a contract, it would adversely affect my career. DeNA should have the balls to pay me through the end of my contract. If you want to hire people "at will" then treat them as employees, you can't have it both ways. Indicates a lack of accountability or integrity. These folks are rotten to the core.

Pull your double wide out of an otherwise nice neighborhood and send little DeNA off to special ed.

Content?

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Close proximity to CalTrain/public transit
    - Beautiful views
    - Employees are well fed

Cons

- While some talented people remain, you get a sense that a number of pre-acquisition employees are around to just long enough to collect paycheck and watch their remaining options vest
    - High turnover
    - Influx of new talent is mediocre, at best

Be proactive. Reward your top performers and get rid of the bad ones.

Lots of problems; no longer a good place to work

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people are nice, and there are still smart people left. Casual work environment. All the snacks, free breakfasts/lunches, etc. that you would expect. Opportunities to change roles within the company.

Cons

Morale is extremely low in SF. Most of the really talented people have fled or been fired with no explanation. More and more game development is outsourced, or just recycles a game that didn't succeed the first time around. Platform was mismanaged for a very long time, then gutted. New CEO for DeNA West has no experience running a game company and no strategy except to follow the old CEO's strategy. Company's values sound good, but they're not widely practiced.

The company needs a real plan for the future, and employees need work that doesn't feel futile. Stop investing in games that have failed in the market. Either invest in platform or kill it.

Typical Silicon Valley Gaming Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time

Pros

- Good benefits and competitive pay due to being in Silicon Valley (SV). This is the result of labor salary pressure from money coming in from angels and VCs and all the other tech companies forming, but hey I'm not complaining.. you go right ahead and keep on funding companies that make [insert iOS/Android app that is a hybrid of Facebook/Spotify/Square/Uber/Angry Birds].. wait..I think I just got an idea for a start up..

- Free food so we can gain 10lbs after the first month of work

- Nice location/office in SOMA... but now all the start ups are moving up from the peninsula.. WHO TOLD THEM OUR SECRET LOCATION IN THE CITY?! Result: There are too many hipster engineers walking around. Edit: There are too many hipsters in general.

- Culture is fun/casual.. we even have a beer keg in each area of the office, but after a while the novelty wears off.

- Good stepping stone for gaming and/or mobile space

- The people are nice, unless you screw up a lot. If you screw up a lot you deserve to get fired.

- Branding: DeNA is one of the worldwide heavy weights for mobile gaming in the world. Not so much in the US (and we're working on that), but in Asia you better watch yo' self son! Our market cap is bigger than this other large US based social gaming company that rhymes with Jenga.

- There's pocky in the kitchen pantry. FREE POCKY! Who doesn't like free Pocky?..well maybe if you were gluten intolerant, but if you are then it sucks to be you (as I type this while eating Strawberry Pocky..om nom nom).

Cons

- Creativity is lacking sometimes for their products. This goes for most large mobile gaming companies in SV (Kabam: You aren't off the hook either.. Kingdoms of Camelot v. 1,2,3,4,5 each under 5 different names).

- There are two different cultures here based on the parent/sub relationship. Sometimes this can lead to roadblocks. We are owned by a Japanese Company so that means you must have a working knowledge of ALL Hello Kitty characters.

- No clear structure to promotion, but hey if you wanted a fancy title of director.. you can join a 3 person start up down the street at half the salary.

We have tons of people working here and we should not be afraid to move out of our comfort zone.

On one hand, lots of smart people. On another, tons of nepotism.

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, friendly, young coworkers that make the place feel alive and hip. People like to work hard and play hard. Tons of snacks, beverages, and free lunch.

Cons

You'll mostly work on or support boring clones of horrible Japanese virtual card games. It gets a bit repetitive and uninspiring to deal with. Feedback from customers is generally ignored and the customer support team loudly complains about everyone they help. Directors and senior managers who've been with the company for years are kept in place despite being inept at their jobs. HR refuses to address repeated serious concerns about coworkers.

Start making real games again. We Rule, Topple, and Eliminate were game changing. Since being purchased by the Japanese company, you've lost your way and every new game is a race to see how quickly you can clone these horrible card trading games.

Two very different companies in one office

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Catered meals
    Nice snacks
    Generally, people are nice
    Pleasant office in a nice location SOMA
    Excellent core values (though not fully embraced)
    Many intelligent and well-spoken people
    There is a lot of potential

Cons

Technical work in first party game development always requires crunch time (long hours, week-ends)
    Platform has significant technical debt
    Some of the engineers are over-confident and difficult to work with
    Many of the best people are leaving at noticeable rate and, with slow hiring, technical workers get extra work
    The work is challenging in the wrong ways: tight schedules, poor code quality, constant emergencies due to poor/no planning.
    The most technically challenging thing you will do is the interview
    Working with counter-parts in Tokyo is difficult due to language barrier and time difference
    People can be discharged at any moment, equally true for middle management or line workers
    The success of technical work is, at best, mixed
    Platform/Core technology is too engineering-lead and out of touch with product needs
    First party development is too product-lead and has trouble delivering quality technology
    There is a lot of pressure to conform to the local culture which includes drinking, playing games during work, nerf darts - it can be tough to fit in, if you just want to enjoy your work
    Not much ethnic/gender diversity in the technical staff

Stop the blame/fire cycle, it will destroy transparency and honesty.
    In first party, you'll get more done if you slow down and move forward with a deliberate plan
    The core values in the company hand-book are great, however speaking-up isn't useful when few will listen. Also, call out people who fail to own problems and blame is never useful; seriously, stop the blaming.