DePaul Industries Reviews

CEO

1. A company in transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

No micromanagement. Management communicates their expectations and they are fair.

Cons

Some of the satellite offices do not communicate well with each other. There are disconnects that occur as their are conflicting views on how to best complete a task.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training on software applications and management needs to conduct more meetings that are shorter in length. No one wants to sit in a meeting for two hours when everything can be addressed in 30 minutes.

2. Please be cautious working here.

Pros

Learn a lot. Very open minded upper management (at first) but any change will take a lot of your precious time. Great opportunity to help people in need.

Cons

The payroll department rarely gets it right, every week I would see these over paid data entry specialists (payroll) leave early or take group lunches while many many of our hard working min wage staffing employees would wait for a check which may or may not come. Upper level management requires a form for a form, anything and everything you do needs to be entered twice, chit-chatted about online, and have a completed written form. Little to no training was provided on the policy and procedures of the company and every person seems to be just thrown in. I worked in the staffing office and my peers were great. I found that the longer someone was here the more useless they become, sales, reception, screener, payroll, as if there was some special pass you get after a certain amount of time that says you can do nothing and the new people will do it for you. Expect to work 7 days a week, they give you a cell phone and a lap top for a reason, although I tend to be a work-aholic the 3am calls on Sunday morning got old and setting up a mobile desk and working for 6-8 hours on the weekend at the drop of a hat was no fun, especially when sales makes commission and the commission you were promised never comes. Also the sales team is useless they complain about commission checks for the work you did not being big enough for them while they do nothing more then recycle old accounts and expect you to fill these "nightmare" jobs.

Advice to Management

Get rid of anyone who recycles accounts and calls them new. Get some training in place. And learn how to actually measure metrics. Stop expecting the staffing office to be in payroll and at the front desk and doing the work of the screener. AND PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES ON TIME!

3. Great company mission, wonderful people and working hard to improve.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at DePaul Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Social mission and hard working people with strong commitment.

Cons

Greater financial resources are needed to provide better IT infrastructure, marketing budget and employee development.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and we will reach our revenue goals to fuel the growth and excellence of the company.

5. I was a reliable laborer, assembly worker, mover and whatever the job entailed

Former Employee - Unloader in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Unloader in Portland, OR

I worked at DePaul Industries part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your acting Supervisor see's you as a good worker with a strong work ethic, you're more than likely to receive the first jobs

Cons

When there's no work, employment can be a problem.

Advice to Management

Anticipate the time period when you suspect slower hiring, and come up with a solution to contact other Agencies whom need workers at that particular time

6. Good experience, but only for entry-level nonprofit workers

Former Employee - Job Coach in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Job Coach in Portland, OR

I worked at DePaul Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly easy work. Mainly observing others. This position can help as a stepping stone to jobs that pay more and have increased responsibilities. You are helping out other, job coaching individuals with a developmental disability.

Cons

Pay is consistent with nonprofit work, but other companies (ex: SL Start, Partners In Careers, etc) pay more. The job is boring as much of your time is observing only.

Advice to Management

Please tell those in charge of compensation decisions to increase pay for employees. Increase pay for job coach position. Allow for more responsibilities or more lead/supervisory positions.

7. "Hell is a place where there is no reason."

Former Employee - Laborer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Laborer in Portland, OR

I worked at DePaul Industries part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of the laborers are friendly and interesting people. There is a language barrier among roughly 70 percent of the workforce, however everyone gets along well.

Cons

Disrespectful management. Laborers are mocked, verbally abused, and spoken down to. Worker safety is disregarded for financial reasons. Employees are told to pick up dirty trash and broken pallets (with exposed rusty nails) using bare hands.

Advice to Management

My advice to any potential employees: You may find yourself in financial desperation with few other options. Realize that sometimes we make mistakes and sometimes we must do unpleasant things. If you need to, take this job, but don't let this job take you. This is temporary and something better will come along. Do not settle for mediocrity and don't be afraid to climb outside of your comfort zone. Don't take to heart any of the verbal abuse you will endure.

RSS Feed </> Embed