DePaul University

www.depaul.edu

DePaul University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
DePaul University – US – “DePaul University”

DePaul University President Rev Dennis H. Holtschneider

Rev Dennis H. Holtschneider

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and opportunity for advancing within the company(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, including full tuition waivers for full-time employees(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no respect given to student workers and you are treated like a child(in 8 reviews)

• Currently, there are concerns about budget and enrollment, but this won't have a major effect on staff and faculty(in 4 reviews)

Great mission, great people

Tech Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAs a student worker, DePaul understands the importance of general career training, mentoring and constructive advice. My manager is a fantastic person and the institution is dedicated to a great cause.

ConsDue to the nature of the position, there is not much opportunity for advancement, unless you excel at what you do and they offer a full time position upon graduation.

Best school in the city hands down.

ProsWelcoming environment each and every day

ConsCliques are common among those from similar financial backgrounds.

Good place to work. Great people.

ProsHas great benefits if you are full-time. Great atmosphere, and dedicated to service and its students.

ConsCurrently, part-timers are not being paid well, benefits for part-timers are almost non-existent or expensive. However, DePaul is attempting to address these issues...just not sure how long it will take.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to work

Administration (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStaff gets along and the university follows it mission.

ConsSalaries are on the low side

Great place for a student job.

Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA part time job here is often quite easy, and leaves lots of time for doing homework or studying. Training is quick, and it does pay more than minimum wage. Supervisors are very understanding about your schedule as a student.

ConsNot often relevant experience. Mind numbingly dull.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat employee focused culture. People are very nice to work with.

ConsIt can feel like a bit of a bureaucracy some times when it comes to changes.

It was an experience that promoted growth and helped me to over challenges.

Service Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiversity, team building, personal growth and development, culture, life skills, time management,

ConsThe only problem is there were short hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that you keep the team building exercises and programs that promoted personal life skills.

It All Depends

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are generous, Loop location is central and close enough to public transportation. Some departments are stable. Tuition benefit is fantastic.

ConsThere is little to no leadership in too many departments. Because of the culture and politics of academia, individuals with no management experience and fewer people skills are routinely promoted into supervisory roles which they handle miserably. I saw this over and over. The employees in these department are either completely unsupervised, resulting in ethical abuses of all stripes, or they are micromanaged to insulting levels. There is also a clear divide between faculty and university staff, where staff are treated with minimal respect and tend to feel like the lowest caste. HR is ineffective and moves at a glacial pace. Very few opportunities to advance for staff. Work/life balance is laughable and policies to support it are unevenly enforced and applied.

My experience as a part-time, non-tenure track instructor

Instructor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDePaul is not immune to the general deterioration of academic departments across the country, but compared to most, it's an institution that values individual instruction and fosters a sense of community involvement and passion for social justice amongst its students. It is a joy to teach students who are both prepared to succeed and/or passionate about the field they want to go into. And, for what it's worth, I've had plenty of opportunities to interact with the administration as well as the tenured and tenure-track professors in my department, in spite of my part-time position.

ConsCommuting can be difficult to both the Loop and Lincoln park campuses, be prepared to pay for parking on your own dime. If you're commuting from Greater Chicagoland, consider Metra or CTA park-and-ride from Midway, Harlem, or Howard depending on which direction you're coming from.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more year-long contracts for non-tenure track faculty, this would increase consistent quality instruction. Consult with faculty and academic departments on student advising, many of my students complain about poor advising that led them to take courses they didn't need or wouldn't otherwise take.

Great learning/work experience with great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery mission and value based, great work training, and very flexible overall. Good work-life balance and opportunity for advancing within the company.

ConsThere are no cons that come to mind.

Worked for DePaul University? Contribute to the Community!