DeVry Education Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger

Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between Upper management and middle management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, and current unknown state of future status (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Culture, Strong Focus on Values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsFlexible work conditions -- implemented "Work from Home" policies and this is an option for most employees.
    Strong benefits package with good profit-sharing incentives and bonus packages for many employees
    Great place to learn if you take advantage of internal T&D opportunities or choose to take Graduate or Undergraduate courses either online or onsite.
    Great location in the Western suburbs
    Clean, modern work environmentwo
    Continuous focus on improvement and quality
    Develops teamwork and cooperation among employees
    Management is always looking for ways to build the business

ConsSome managers tend to show favoritism with perks
    Tough industry and slow growth due to government regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementChange marketing approach and try to go back to basics for attracting customers.

Student Finance Analyst

Student Finance Analyst (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsFlexible work schedule, company values and culture are positive, leadership is supportive of talented individuals.

ConsCo-workers ability and competence is sub-par; if you work here you'll easily stand out as a big fish in a little pond.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your quality talent, before they jump ship.

DeVry: In a nutshell

Student Finance Representative (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat team environment and employees tend to respect others. I was able to complete two Masters while employed which was a perk. Team building events and outings were always a nice bonus as well.

ConsCompensation packages changed yearly and required constant monitoring. Numbers driven environment caused tension at times amongst teams and departments. An overall weak brean in the job market, and with fluctuating enrollment came massive layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsEmployees have the option to work remotely

ConsBeware of the office Politics

Layoffs Continue

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Addison, IL

ProsBenefits are good, and I was able to complete my degree while I was employeed. Most of the time management is flexible with you, assuming you are meeting and/or excedding expectations.

ConsCompensation packages changed every year I was there. The company grew too fast, and now they have had an average of 2 layoffs over the past 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very disconncected from actual day-to-day actvities, and misunderstands the kind of support that their employees need in order for the company to grow again.

great education for students, not so great employer for employees

Admissions Advisor I (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfree education is the biggest benefit.

Conshours were long - at least one night is required for admissions department. there is little to no room for growth. even after the company pays for you to go to school, they provide no room for growth or movement within the company. the pay is not competitive - after less than three years and coming in with a lower-end salary, i am "capped out" and will only see 1.5% increases.

Advice to Senior Managementif you are paying for people to become more educated, you should give them the opportunity to use that education. it would benefit the company and the employees.

Management does not care about the people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat benefits especially tuition assistance

ConsManagement does not care about the employees even if they are decision makers. Even if you are a hiring manager your boss and their boss will make the decisions for you and tell you in so many words that your opinion does not matter and you have to go with their decision. Even when they make bad decisions they never own up to it and will make their direct reports fix their mess ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to hire decision makers give them autonomy. You are going to keep losing good people if you don't pay more attention.

Concerned about the future

Manager (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsThe benefits are decent and the culture is positive and respectful. This is a good place to be an employee.

ConsThe "cash cow" of past practices is drying up. If the old ways of doing business aren't reinvented with a new value proposition, the slash & burn reductions in staff of the past couple years will likely continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinvent DVU! Find a curricular focus and stay that course.

excellent experience

Director (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

Prosday to day operations, opportunities to grow and advance

Conslong hours, and current unknown state of future status

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to share with employees directions, and concerns

Worst Company / Job Ever / Sweatshop for educated people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

Prospros = health insurance and sharing your misery with other co-workers

Conseverything. this job is a joke, this school and corporation are a joke. i wouldn't wish this place on anyone. constant policy changes and you're notified by email. no meetings until after the fact that the policy has changed AGAIN. management doesn't get back to you with responses. nothing but a call center. registrar watches tv all day. everyone hates this place and is lazy. everyone is miserable.

mandatory saturdays fall on 4th of july weekend and labor day and they force you to work.

Advice to Senior Managementcare about your employees. take a hint with how high your turn over is...

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!