DeVry Education Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger

Daniel Hamburger

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and great executive team"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The job is very good for work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Huge disconnect between Upper management and middle management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low Pay, Long hours, Angry students, Office Politics"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Academic Advisor AKA Call Center

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsIf you can get into the Registrar Dept. That's where it's at. Those lazy bums watch tv all day or youtube, play on their phones, and get paid more than I do. They also DON'T take any phone calls and their bathroom trips aren't timed like mine are.

ConsPromotions are based on who you know, not your work ethic. Academic Advising is a call center, let's be honest. It is back to back calls non-stop with impossible goals. On top of non-stop inbound calls from students you are required to make outbounds for emails and opportunities (first advising meetings, academic standing changes, etc) The pay is $17.79 an hour, but Advising does all of the work. You will take phone calls about registrar calls and you weren't trained on this. You're not trained on other programs and you have to take overflow calls for other programs which are nerve racking since you are not an expert with that program. You get 1 hour 35mins to not take phone calls, but every phone call requires a case (something to finish or work on). Your bathroom time is accounted for this too, so is a coffee/water run. It's ridiculous!
    They are changing our systems soon and our training consists of videos at our computer that you can't see or have to rush through because GOD FORBID you are off the phones for more than the proper time allowed to watch the training videos.
    I'm job hunting and so is all of academic advising. Like I said, if you can get into a department that isn't advising, you'd like working here because work ethic doesn't matter.

Campuses have NO CLUE how to help students and send their students to us. Such a joke. Also, DeVry updates policy through email, so a student will call in and know something before me because I haven't had time to read that email yet. Managers communicate through email and instant messaging even when they sit near me. I could go on for days.....

IF YOU WANT A CALL CENTER --- APPLY HERE---

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER. I've been here awhile and still do not know half of the things I should. Also, don't switch major systems and train us on videos!!!

Pay advisors more, they do all the work. Get rid of availability, go have your own bathroom trips timed.

Changing Environment in Education - Can DeVry change as well?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome employees are helpful. The work environment is fine. Good parking and close to the tollway.

ConsSome employees don't share information. They need to provide better training the help desk employees. Employees that work extra hours are rarely recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you want to put your stockholders first or your students first? Go private!

Constant change - wasted resources

ProsIt is better than being unemployed and living on the street in a cardboard box under a bridge. So basically it is just a job - and it is not a career. Nothing else positive to say about this org.

ConsChange is the only consistency - new systems constantly replacing old ones with little to no training. Impossible to know who to go to when you need help due to the constant changes in systems and processes. I have had 3 supervisors in the last six months. This amount of change is wasteful - no wonder they are having financial issues. Solution to money issues - lay off 1200 people and then at all hands meeting announce what a great year we had. I bet those folks who got laid off wouldn't call it a great year. Take away reimbursements I was promised when I was hired as a remote employee. Stock price is 50% of what it was. This company is in trouble and every move they make seems to push it the wrong way. Part time faculty have not had a raise in salary in 5 years - yet they have increased class sizes by 50% or more. End result is bad education for students who are paying a lot of money so senior level managers can make their millions. My advice - students and potential employees - stay away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give some advice but in 10 years I've never seen a single manager at this org take any advice - especially senior managers. They are completely disconnected from the reality of what it takes to educate a student. The schools reputation is going downhill and if senior management would look in the mirror they would see who is responsible for this.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Favoritism at its best

Account Management (Current Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

Pros5% stock discount, 15% vacation buy up discount, Flex Spending Account

ConsFavoritism, one day a month work from home, backlash if you complain, no career advancement even if you have skills or experience, manager get a ride from one of the co worker so they favor that person and others more, management skill are very poor

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do a 360 evaluation of all of your department, evaluate managers in current roles to see if they are best fit, check past salary hicks of DEM employees to see the unfairness

Great Culture

Vice President Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

ProsDeVry is becoming an employer of choice in higher education. A very positive company culture with a solid senior management team. The Becker division is like family atmosphere

ConsDownsizing in 2013 due to lower student enrollment

Student Finance Consultant

ProsBenefits are good, pay is decent

ConsManagement, training, Promotion opportunities lacking

Overall a good experience, poor career development and pay.

Career Services (Current Employee)

ProsFree Education as an Employee! Benefits are decent, but increasingly expensive each year.

ConsPoor career growth, weak management structure, advancement for those who re part of the "boy's club."

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on advancing and growing current employees who are top performers and are dedicated.

Outstanding day to day operation challenges.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDaily challenges dealing with hardware, software upgrades. Most enjoyable was the day to day involvement with Students, Staff, and Administrators.

Consthere are no cons that come to mind

Advice to Senior ManagementStay involved and communicate on an ongoing basis with the needs and concerns of students and Staff.

Flexible

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThe job is very good for work-life balance

ConsGrowth Potential is limited during the hard economic times

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training for new managers

You're a telemarketer

Academic Advisor (Former Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsPay, benefits right away, team atmosphere

ConsYou harass people until they specifically tell you to quit calling them, not what they make it out to be in interview, which is why they are continually training new hires. If you don't mind sitting at a desk all day and when you finally get someone on the phone they are pissed that you and everyone else calling them won't stop

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a better system to try and get new students, harassing people via phone and email is not something you personally would want done

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DeVry Education Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DeVry Education Group CEO Daniel Hamburger. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by DeVry Education Group employees.