DeVry Education Group

Updated March 5, 2015
2.9

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger
Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • there is little to no room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Very long hours for some departments, pay for certain departments were average at best (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Company not stable

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

They have good benefits as far as insurance and 401K.

Cons

Many many layoffs over the years. Campuses have closed, offices have closed. Lots of reorganization. People are forced to move offices. Do not get a job there.

Stay away!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any. It was tolerable 4 years ago, now it is a nazi camp!

Cons

Extreme micro management
    Favoritism at every corner
    No integrity within management
    Constant fear provoking environment
    All they care about are numbers

Lead by example
    Fear does not equal productivity

Another bad year

Current Employee - Staff Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

I honestly see none - all senior management talk seems to be rhetoric and they are missing some key items that I predict will come back to harm the company. In fact those key items are negatively impacting the company now.

Cons

Use of statistically invalid data to make decisions. I have personally told them this over and over and they simply ignore my input. I think this misuse of data is contributing to a decrease in performance and a loss of good employees . Work life balance is non existent. It is normal to be expected to have to respond to emails, phone calls, attend meetings while you are on vacation or during a holiday. In 8 years I've never worked an actual 40 hour week. Pay is substandard especially for the part time online faculty - who I might add have not seen a raise in 5 years. I have brought this up at meetings as an issue that needs to be addressed on several occasions - but no response or change has been made. Yet during that same five years the class sizes have increased again and again( we are now seeing online class sizes of 40 students when 6 years ago the max was 25) as have the expectations for faculty to contact "at risk" students and then submit reports on them to Salesforce. We also expect the part time faculty to provide detailed reports, with solutions, to another system (Sidebar/ Trello) when they see course errors. We must be mindful that these are part time instructors and we cannot treat them like they are full time. I hear people like Aaron complain that we are losing part time faculty in large numbers yet no one seems to address the issues that are causing this. We are told over and over that 'gainful employment" is a concern...yet the one sure way to impact that would be to lower tuition. We (I ) cannot control what students earn with the degrees and certification they get from us. I can see no real justification for the cost of our degrees either. An associate degree at DeVry can cost $40,000 yet that same degree at a community college would cost less than $5000. I and the part time online faculty are certainly not getting that money - yet a quick search seems to indicate that senior level managers are making millions each year. It feels 'bad" once you look into things a bit deeper.

Only make decisions on statistically valid data. You have to give raises to your part time online faculty or they are going to leave in even greater numbers than we have been experiencing already. Full time employees must see pay equity - I supervise people who make 35% more than me. Raises have to be meaningful - a 3% increase for exceeding expectations is insulting and is not an incentive to work hard again this year. Stop making so many changes to systems and processes as it is creates uncertainty on how to do things which is expensive and leads to errors. If gainful employment is an issue then do something about it besides sending out emails about how unfair it is. The response I would make is a) then tell me how it is fair to charge students so much tuition b) take a pay cut and lower dividends and reduce tuition....because I see nothing I and the faculty can do about it. We are already overworked and underpaid - we have nothing left to give.

Fake TEACH values

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Better then not having a job, then again it's trap career

Cons

Cult culture, unqualified managers, micromanaging, favortisim, racisim, bad review process, cookie cutter approach to everything, pigeon holed, no advancement, price gauging studends with high tuition, high turnover, on and on and on...

Find a better job

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! Do not pass go! You will regret it.

Cons

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! Before they drain you of your desire to live and breathe.

GET A LIFE!!

$40/hr Adjunct Professor

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Long Beach, CA

I worked at DeVry Education Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management believes you should not lecture a full hour and let students do some exercises during class hour. Great for Professors who don't want to work hard.

Cons

Pay is too low for any Professor to be motivated to stay and choose teaching as a career. For a Professor to do a great job, he must spend at least 3 hours of preparation for every hour of lecture. He does not get paid for that.

Students will not respect their professors if their Professors make $20k per year for a full time work (adding the hours of preparing for lecture)

Nice to work at, but future possibilities are limited

Current Employee - Student Finance Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Student Finance Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of ability to work from alternate locations, even home. Also there is a relaxed atmosphere which leads to an easy work environment.

Cons

There is little hope for advancing upward even with good ideas... most people who work here are lifers, content to slowly move up with good job security but little asked of you which is boring.

Try and challenge people, most people only do the minimum

Bogus Positive Reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good and they use that to attract you.

Cons

The leadership style is the Plantation Management.

DeVry, Are you having people fill out BOGUS positive reviews? No companies does everything perfectly!...ESPECIALLY DeVry!!! Look at your exit interviews and turnover stats. Most people hate/hated working at DeVry. You don't care anything about employees or students. You treat most employees like garbage and you enroll people that have no chance of being college material.

I hated DeVry Education Group

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tuition for associates, bachelors, or master degrees

Cons

Everything! Over worked! Poor leadership! Ridiculous metrics! Have to ask to use the bathroom!

Listen to your advisors on the phone.

Disappointing DeVry

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Sincere, growth focused, student advocate

Cons

Internal structure flaws inhibit application of sound business practices