DeVry Education Group

Updated August 20, 2014

2.8

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger
Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between Upper management and middle management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, and current unknown state of future status (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If You Are Caucasian...DeVry Education Group Is the Company For You!

Pros

For the most part, salaries and benefits are good.

Cons

If you are a black American, you will be treated like a second class citizen. Daniel Hamburger is ruthless and looks out for a very few chosen minorities. You have to "drink his Kool-aid" in order to make it as a minority. The lack of respect from the senior leadership team is very well accepted. Turnover statistics are off the charts. If they can use you before they skillfully displace you, your reward is a severance that precludes you from suing. There are so many skeletons regarding operations, finances and human resources.

Stop advocating discriminatory tactics, lying and cruel management practices. Treat everybody with respect and stop all that underhanded backdoor business practices.

I hated DeVry Education Group

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free tuition for associates, bachelors, or master degrees

Cons

Everything! Over worked! Poor leadership! Ridiculous metrics! Have to ask to use the bathroom!

Listen to your advisors on the phone.

Disappointing DeVry

Pros

Sincere, growth focused, student advocate

Cons

Internal structure flaws inhibit application of sound business practices

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Company / Job Ever / Sweatshop for educated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

pros = health insurance and sharing your misery with other co-workers

Cons

everything. this job is a joke, this school and corporation are a joke. i wouldn't wish this place on anyone. constant policy changes and you're notified by email. no meetings until after the fact that the policy has changed AGAIN. management doesn't get back to you with responses. nothing but a call center. registrar watches tv all day. everyone hates this place and is lazy. everyone is miserable.

mandatory saturdays fall on 4th of july weekend and labor day and they force you to work.

care about your employees. take a hint with how high your turn over is...

Why did I ever take this job?

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

Pros

They pay a decent wage compared to other similar jobs.
    Overtime is nearly always available to those who are interested.

Cons

Office culture is very poor. Nearly all employees are openly dissatisfied with their job. The students (customers) are very demanding and unreasonable. Very poor dissemination of the constantly changing information essential to job duties.

Consider the stress levels and dissatisfaction of the employees and stop making empty meaningless gestures to placate employees.

Getting worst day by day!

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Benefits, location of my office

Cons

Selling over priced degree programs to the poor, Lack of integrity and diversity from a Leadership stand point. Too much change in a short time. No incentives or growth opportunities.

Don't lie to your employees, We all know that the forprofit education sector is in trouble!

Sinking Ship

Pros

Benefits, and a good learning experience in how not to run an office.

Cons

This place is a study in how to not manage an office. Between clear favorites, and the constant blaming of others it is not exactly an ideal place to work if you have standards

No one cares about you, but you....

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Pomona, CA

Pros

Beats living under a bridge.

Cons

Management does not care about you, just the numbers. Lots of talk about "student success", but that really means that they keep paying. The constant cancellation of classes makes the students mad. When classes are canceled management says to take them on line. On campus students are on campus students for a reason. They don't want to take on line classes.

No leadership at all. Lots of internal brown nosing. When management sends out a personnel announcement the brown nosers quickly follow up with their lip smacking comments. This applies to the entire organization.

Academic faculty seems to be called upon to constantly fix the location's problems. Yet no one really listens to what you have to say. They just give you orders on what to do without considering the real problem.

Management is always putting out fires never preventing fires.

Get a clue. Learn to be leaders. This also applies to all of your metro and center managers in all of the USA as well. Each location has nothing but micro-management, no leaders at all. Saying you are "proud to be your leader" does not make you a leader. We cringe when we hear that.

Academic Advisor AKA Call Center

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Naperville, IL

Pros

If you can get into the Registrar Dept. That's where it's at. Those lazy bums watch tv all day or youtube, play on their phones, and get paid more than I do. They also DON'T take any phone calls and their bathroom trips aren't timed like mine are.

Cons

Promotions are based on who you know, not your work ethic. Academic Advising is a call center, let's be honest. It is back to back calls non-stop with impossible goals. On top of non-stop inbound calls from students you are required to make outbounds for emails and opportunities (first advising meetings, academic standing changes, etc) The pay is $17.79 an hour, but Advising does all of the work. You will take phone calls about registrar calls and you weren't trained on this. You're not trained on other programs and you have to take overflow calls for other programs which are nerve racking since you are not an expert with that program. You get 1 hour 35mins to not take phone calls, but every phone call requires a case (something to finish or work on). Your bathroom time is accounted for this too, so is a coffee/water run. It's ridiculous!
    They are changing our systems soon and our training consists of videos at our computer that you can't see or have to rush through because GOD FORBID you are off the phones for more than the proper time allowed to watch the training videos.
    I'm job hunting and so is all of academic advising. Like I said, if you can get into a department that isn't advising, you'd like working here because work ethic doesn't matter.

Campuses have NO CLUE how to help students and send their students to us. Such a joke. Also, DeVry updates policy through email, so a student will call in and know something before me because I haven't had time to read that email yet. Managers communicate through email and instant messaging even when they sit near me. I could go on for days.....

IF YOU WANT A CALL CENTER --- APPLY HERE---

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER. I've been here awhile and still do not know half of the things I should. Also, don't switch major systems and train us on videos!!!

Pay advisors more, they do all the work. Get rid of availability, go have your own bathroom trips timed.

Constant change - wasted resources

Pros

It is better than being unemployed and living on the street in a cardboard box under a bridge. So basically it is just a job - and it is not a career. Nothing else positive to say about this org.

Cons

Change is the only consistency - new systems constantly replacing old ones with little to no training. Impossible to know who to go to when you need help due to the constant changes in systems and processes. I have had 3 supervisors in the last six months. This amount of change is wasteful - no wonder they are having financial issues. Solution to money issues - lay off 1200 people and then at all hands meeting announce what a great year we had. I bet those folks who got laid off wouldn't call it a great year. Take away reimbursements I was promised when I was hired as a remote employee. Stock price is 50% of what it was. This company is in trouble and every move they make seems to push it the wrong way. Part time faculty have not had a raise in salary in 5 years - yet they have increased class sizes by 50% or more. End result is bad education for students who are paying a lot of money so senior level managers can make their millions. My advice - students and potential employees - stay away from this place.

I would give some advice but in 10 years I've never seen a single manager at this org take any advice - especially senior managers. They are completely disconnected from the reality of what it takes to educate a student. The schools reputation is going downhill and if senior management would look in the mirror they would see who is responsible for this.

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!