DeVry Education Group Reviews

Reset
2.9
DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger
Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little room for growth beyond entry-level as company is downsizing (in 5 reviews)

• Employees get used, no appreciation / recognition for long hours and weekend effort (in 6 reviews)

1. DeVry managers are arrogant and unrealistic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DeVry will pay for your education if you are working there, which any and all should take advantage of.

Cons

Management doesn't think much about their department personnel and it shows. Unrealistic attitudes and expectations by management which makes it a real drag to be at work. Even if you do well at DeVry, it will not pay off and it will not save your job. Lay-offs are obviously made by individuals who are looking at numbers for whole departments and not individuals who excel. The stress of working for most managers and the overall funky attitude of most departments makes this place not much fun.

Advice to Management

Management should not be so arrogant. Expectations are clearly unrealistic because it doesn't matter to managers to have a heart and want individuals to have a good work/life balance.

2. research

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

clean. good traffic flow. spacious and bright. good lunch area. plenty of parking. and it's free . which is nice.

Cons

seemingly a meeting every 5 minutes. makes it rather difficult to get your actual work done.

3. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

I enjoy working at Carrington College because it's an organization that cares about students, colleagues, and the community. Every day, I am rewarded and recognized for the little things as much as for the big things. If you are passionate about transforming the lives of others and helping people achieve their goals, then you should consider working here.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative.

solid company that values long-term decision making and colleague's long term careers

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

DeVry Education Group is an established company that is genuine in its' commitment to long-term decision making and value on quality vs. short-term decision making. Furthermore, I have found DeVry Education Group to be committed to career opportunities for it's colleagues and have seen multiple examples where colleagues have taken on different roles within a department or even different business functions.

Cons

DeVry Education group strives to become even more innovative and it needs to continue to pursue a proper balance between conservative quality output and taking appropriate measured risks to support innovation.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on long-term decision making as you have.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Manager
    Current Employee - Regulatory Compliance Manager

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The following are some of the pros for working for DeVry Education Group: -Promotes work life balance through many flex options -Provides a culture that fosters career growth and development opportunities -Offers a wide variety of benefits for colleagues to choose from -Offers colleagues special tuition pricing to continue their education -Leadership values your opinions and contributions -Diversification of institutions provides opportunity to learn about various regulations and requirements for both domestic and foreign

Cons

The following is one cons of working for DeVry Education Group: -Once you get to a certain level, it becomes difficult to get to the next level. You need to wait for someone to leave the department or seek a higher position within another area in the organization.

Advice to Management

I have been with this company for a little over a decade and it has been a great place to work. I would like to see DeVry Education Group look into options for helping career path managers into a higher position so colleagues do not feel stuck.

Great Employer

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Great benefits including tuition. Great management team that strongly believes in development and doing the right thing.

Cons

Lots of pressure/negative press on the industry.

DeVry Education Group

Current Employee - Manager, IT in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, IT in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company , good people that want to do the right things

Cons

As DeVry is a good company to work for .....more PTO would be welcome. too much red tape when trying to accomplish the right things....

DVG review

Current Employee - Senior Director of ALIS in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director of ALIS in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

The company culture centered around the TEACH values is truly a tangible element of the positive "vibe" at the company.

Cons

We get in our own way sometimes, we have way too many meetings, are title conscious at the risk of not making decisions and in general are risk adverse. I want to see more BIG ideas.

Advice to Management

Run with a BIG idea and get everyone involved.

Great Benefits, Great Company

Current Employee - Faculty Resource Specialist in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty Resource Specialist in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DeVry Education Group promotes a great work-life balance allowing flexible schedules, remote work, and healthy living initiatives. The company has good top-down communication and rewards colleagues effectively to recognize achievements, contributions, and the meeting of goals.

Cons

DeVry Education Group could have a higher baseline salary for colleagues, but they make up for it with flexible scheduling benefits. Communication between departments can be improved as well as increased technical support for remote colleagues.

Advice to Management

Continued efforts with providing flexible schedules for colleagues is essential. Increased channels of communications between departments on higher level projects would also be beneficial. Colleagues on the ground floor should be asked to provide thoughts on possible impacts that higher level management might not consider for some big decisions. Additionally, providing colleagues with additional healthy living incentives such as discounted or supported race registrations and healthier cafeteria options would be appreciated and could even help lower insurance costs. Overall, DeVry Education Group is a great company to work for.

11. Best in Class

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for DeVry Education Group for 6 years. The key distinction is an EXCELLENT CULTURE. I have worked with nearly all the senior leadership, and it is evident that a commitment to excellence, treating people with respect, and doing our best for our students is standard operating procedure. From the CEO, to the division presidents, to my student facing colleagues, people are committed to doing the right thing for students. I worked for another for-profit college before DeVry Group, and it was pretty good, but DeVry Group is WAY better. The day-to-day treatment of employees is better here--very respectful, allowing for work-life balance. The leaders are the same behind closed doors as they are when speaking to the staff. I have actually seen high-performing directors be managed out of the organization because they were terrible to their staff. Even if you make your numbers, if you're a jerk, you are not tolerated here. Who else does that? Hard work is recognized and rewarded. The company takes great pains to ensure compliance with all accrediting and regulatory agencies, and makes decisions for long-term growth and stability. They've made smart acquisitions, like Chamberlain College of Nursing and several colleges in Brazil, and they've pumped money into them to make them even more profitable. That has kept us growing even as DeVry University itself has struggled. DeVry University (one of like 10 parts of DeVry Education Group) has made some layoffs, but everyone was given generous severance. The goal seems to be to keep this a great place to work for the people who remain. They could have cut benefits, but instead they eliminated positions in one school where there were no longer enough students to support them.

Cons

The environment in higher education is difficult for everyone now, and those outside for-profit education tend to look down on it. But ask anyone who's hired a DeVry University graduate, and they will tell you that they have the skills. Ask anyone who knows the for-profit education sector, and they will say DeVry Education Group is the gold standard for ethics, quality, and work environment.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping this a great place to work, investing in great benefits, and investing in your employees' professional growth. Thank you to the CEO Daniel Hamburger for being a visible and vocal leader, setting the expectation of transparency and excellence, and creating a culture of care for the individual, team and student.

RSS Feed </> Embed