DeVry Education Group

Updated August 25, 2014

2.8

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger
Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between Upper management and middle management (in 6 reviews)

• long hours, and current unknown state of future status (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Admissions Advisor

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Built great relationships and met great people. I made life long friends with some former colleagues. It felt good to help students that actually needed and wanted the help.

Cons

Its hard to get into other positions unless you are good friends with management. There are 300 other advisors that want to get out of admissions. Position can sometimes be repetitious if nobody is answering the phones. Hiring managers are not honest with prospective employees in interview about having to have so many students start class each session.

Be honest in hiring interviews, people have left great companies to come here and find that the position was much different than what they were told it would be.

Great opportunity

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

you can move your way up
    great working environment
    higher ups are very down to earth and approachable

Cons

terrible pay
    some positions are hourly and over time is always offered but those hourly positions usually end up making more than the supervisor each year.

If You Are Caucasian...DeVry Education Group Is the Company For You!

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, salaries and benefits are good.

Cons

If you are a black American, you will be treated like a second class citizen. Daniel Hamburger is ruthless and looks out for a very few chosen minorities. You have to "drink his Kool-aid" in order to make it as a minority. The lack of respect from the senior leadership team is very well accepted. Turnover statistics are off the charts. If they can use you before they skillfully displace you, your reward is a severance that precludes you from suing. There are so many skeletons regarding operations, finances and human resources.

Stop advocating discriminatory tactics, lying and cruel management practices. Treat everybody with respect and stop all that underhanded backdoor business practices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I hated DeVry Education Group

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free tuition for associates, bachelors, or master degrees

Cons

Everything! Over worked! Poor leadership! Ridiculous metrics! Have to ask to use the bathroom!

Listen to your advisors on the phone.

Great place to learn the ropes of a company environment...

I worked at DeVry Education Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was working there as a intern. I was given the opportunity for an intern position through a workshop I attended. It is a great place to work and learn if you are still in school. They allow you to go through many of the programs they have deployed and developed. You get the sense of the real-world experience working for a company from 9 to 5 work load. As an intern you get about $12.50 an hour, but I didn't complain. It was the experience that I wanted more.

Cons

The time here can be short and if you are looking to get a full-time job here, it may not happen. Of the 10 intern that applied for various intern positions, only one was given a full-time job because there is a need for this individual. There are a lot of departments where interns go the get experience in their respective fields, but they only hire if they need you. There is a possibility of full employment a few months down the line. I have known other interns who experienced that when they went through the internship program and where called a few months later, to fill in a need. This is mainly a job for learning and getting used to a company culture. To prepare you for the real-world.

None. There is some politics, but not enough for me to really gauge what was going on. For the most part, most of it was not my business.

RN Faculty

Current Employee - Manager, Government Relations  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager, Government Relations in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group for more than a year

Pros

The vision of the President

Cons

No everyone shares this vision and leadership style

Don't just assign, talk to your staff and faculty in order to obtain buy-in,if that is what you really want. Authoritative leadership styles are ineffective.

Too many layoffs

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance is good, even though you are requied to work some Saturdays. Co-workers are fabulous. They really do care about the students. Try to make the work environment fun.

Cons

layoffs every year. disconnect between home office and branches. Too many changes going on between all departments. Admissions are blamed for everything. They have cut inquiries by half

Stop micromanaging

Good company to work for, great benefits, awesome free tuition, not much room for growth at all.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Graduate Admissions is very flexible with their work schedule, the managers are very relaxed and the atmosphere is easy going. The benefits are great, you can get education benefits for free. The insurance and PTO benefits are good.

Cons

Annual raises are not based on performance, you basically get the same raise as everyone else in your pay grade, which is not great. Advancing to a different department is a joke, there is really no room for growth unless you wait years and years and it is still not guaranteed. Lots of advisors still in level one after years, the raises and promotions are subjective. They also do not recognize or compensate higher education.

Poor recognition, promote advisors that have been there for years and deserve it, appreciate employees.

Worked part time in Payroll/HR department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was only Part time but the employees I worked with were helpful and friendly. The leadership took time to know you and also care.

Cons

Since I was only part time I have no cons about the company

Designer

Current Employee - Designer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is lots of ways to expand your growth in the field.

Cons

They won't promote you. You will be stuck in the same position being overworked for years.

They need to speak up

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!