DeVry Education Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger

Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team(in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between Upper management and middle management(in 6 reviews)

• long hours, and current unknown state of future status(in 5 reviews)

DeVry: In a nutshell

Student Finance Representative (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat team environment and employees tend to respect others. I was able to complete two Masters while employed which was a perk. Team building events and outings were always a nice bonus as well.

ConsCompensation packages changed yearly and required constant monitoring. Numbers driven environment caused tension at times amongst teams and departments. An overall weak brean in the job market, and with fluctuating enrollment came massive layoffs.

OK Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsEmployees have the option to work remotely

ConsBeware of the office Politics

might be a good fit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood learning opportunity for someone in accounting

Conssome departments work 60 hours a week and do not receive a bonus

Advice to Senior Managementgo private, then you won't need to balance the need of students and stockholders

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Layoffs Continue

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Addison, IL

ProsBenefits are good, and I was able to complete my degree while I was employeed. Most of the time management is flexible with you, assuming you are meeting and/or excedding expectations.

ConsCompensation packages changed every year I was there. The company grew too fast, and now they have had an average of 2 layoffs over the past 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very disconncected from actual day-to-day actvities, and misunderstands the kind of support that their employees need in order for the company to grow again.

great education for students, not so great employer for employees

Admissions Advisor I (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfree education is the biggest benefit.

Conshours were long - at least one night is required for admissions department. there is little to no room for growth. even after the company pays for you to go to school, they provide no room for growth or movement within the company. the pay is not competitive - after less than three years and coming in with a lower-end salary, i am "capped out" and will only see 1.5% increases.

Advice to Senior Managementif you are paying for people to become more educated, you should give them the opportunity to use that education. it would benefit the company and the employees.

Worst Company / Job Ever / Sweatshop for educated people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

Prospros = health insurance and sharing your misery with other co-workers

Conseverything. this job is a joke, this school and corporation are a joke. i wouldn't wish this place on anyone. constant policy changes and you're notified by email. no meetings until after the fact that the policy has changed AGAIN. management doesn't get back to you with responses. nothing but a call center. registrar watches tv all day. everyone hates this place and is lazy. everyone is miserable.

mandatory saturdays fall on 4th of july weekend and labor day and they force you to work.

Advice to Senior Managementcare about your employees. take a hint with how high your turn over is...

Why did I ever take this job?

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThey pay a decent wage compared to other similar jobs.
    Overtime is nearly always available to those who are interested.

ConsOffice culture is very poor. Nearly all employees are openly dissatisfied with their job. The students (customers) are very demanding and unreasonable. Very poor dissemination of the constantly changing information essential to job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the stress levels and dissatisfaction of the employees and stop making empty meaningless gestures to placate employees.

Management does not care about the people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat benefits especially tuition assistance

ConsManagement does not care about the employees even if they are decision makers. Even if you are a hiring manager your boss and their boss will make the decisions for you and tell you in so many words that your opinion does not matter and you have to go with their decision. Even when they make bad decisions they never own up to it and will make their direct reports fix their mess ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to hire decision makers give them autonomy. You are going to keep losing good people if you don't pay more attention.

Positive work environment

ProsI really like the people I work with in my role in a call center environment. Room for growth in the many Chicagoland locations.

ConsSystem of employee development plan completion/evaluation exists but it not given adequate focus. The employee needs to take control of this process if he/she wants career growth within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeading on the right path, keep up in this direction

Concerned about the future

Manager (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsThe benefits are decent and the culture is positive and respectful. This is a good place to be an employee.

ConsThe "cash cow" of past practices is drying up. If the old ways of doing business aren't reinvented with a new value proposition, the slash & burn reductions in staff of the past couple years will likely continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinvent DVU! Find a curricular focus and stay that course.

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!