DeVry Education Group

Employer Engaged

Student Services Representative

Current Employee - Student Services Representative
    Current Employee - Student Services Representative

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork atmosphere, excellent opportunities for advancement, schedule flexibility.

Cons

I've been with the company for a little less than a year. I cannot formulate any cons at this time.

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Decent salary, management was supportive,

Cons

Fellow employees are dedicated to their jobs, but sometimes communication was lacking between departments

Great to work in their HQ

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Some of the best coworkers I ever worked with. Never boring. They really believe in employee engagement. Flex-time and work from home were great options. DeVry is very good at doing what is right and proper as an organization. It isn't just words. They live their company slogans.

Cons

Raises were stingy. We moved locations 3 times in 4 years. With 200+ employees in our division, there were a few bad apples. My last boss was a Disney villain. If Cruella DeVille and the Wicked Witch of the West had a cousin, it was her. A psychologist I know said my description of her sounded like a person with Borderline Personality Disorder. But she was an exception, not the norm.

Keep up the good work. Your company really helps their students better their lives by giving them degrees in fields that are hiring. Be proud of what you do.

Specialist I

Former Employee - Specialist I
    Former Employee - Specialist I

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Decent pay for the type of work that is done.

Cons

-Employees weren't on the same page regarding policy changes.
    -Mandatory overtime (nice when you need extra money, but difficult if the weekends are the only time you have to completer personal projects or appointment).
    -Little to no recognition

Greater communication is needed. Processes need to be streamlined so the whole team is on the same page.

Company not stable

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

They have good benefits as far as insurance and 401K.

Cons

Many many layoffs over the years. Campuses have closed, offices have closed. Lots of reorganization. People are forced to move offices. Do not get a job there.

Stay away!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any. It was tolerable 4 years ago, now it is a nazi camp!

Cons

Extreme micro management
    Favoritism at every corner
    No integrity within management
    Constant fear provoking environment
    All they care about are numbers

Lead by example
    Fear does not equal productivity

Great place to learn the ropes and good benefits

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

good benefits and tuition reimbursement perks

Cons

No room for growth, some branches have deans thats have a high tower attitude

Decent work envirnment

Current Employee - IT Support in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - IT Support in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management tries to make DeVry a good company with a good culture. CEO Hamburger basically saved the company from insolvency a few years back by diversifying its portfolio of schools -- moving into health care education and other education sectors.

Cons

However, there are many pressures on management: decreasing enrollments and has led to tons of major lay-offs, and we're not out of the woods yet! Information systems, most notably the unbelievably lousy "thedevrycommons" website (which is for some reason managed by the former senior legal counsel?), are extremely cludgy and generic. DeVry's implementation of Remedy is atrocious, chock-full of inefficiencies, and has been for years and years. Departmental red tape makes getting things done difficult, exhausting, and sometimes completely impossible!

Another bad year

Current Employee - Staff Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

I honestly see none - all senior management talk seems to be rhetoric and they are missing some key items that I predict will come back to harm the company. In fact those key items are negatively impacting the company now.

Cons

Use of statistically invalid data to make decisions. I have personally told them this over and over and they simply ignore my input. I think this misuse of data is contributing to a decrease in performance and a loss of good employees . Work life balance is non existent. It is normal to be expected to have to respond to emails, phone calls, attend meetings while you are on vacation or during a holiday. In 8 years I've never worked an actual 40 hour week. Pay is substandard especially for the part time online faculty - who I might add have not seen a raise in 5 years. I have brought this up at meetings as an issue that needs to be addressed on several occasions - but no response or change has been made. Yet during that same five years the class sizes have increased again and again( we are now seeing online class sizes of 40 students when 6 years ago the max was 25) as have the expectations for faculty to contact "at risk" students and then submit reports on them to Salesforce. We also expect the part time faculty to provide detailed reports, with solutions, to another system (Sidebar/ Trello) when they see course errors. We must be mindful that these are part time instructors and we cannot treat them like they are full time. I hear people like Aaron complain that we are losing part time faculty in large numbers yet no one seems to address the issues that are causing this. We are told over and over that 'gainful employment" is a concern...yet the one sure way to impact that would be to lower tuition. We (I ) cannot control what students earn with the degrees and certification they get from us. I can see no real justification for the cost of our degrees either. An associate degree at DeVry can cost $40,000 yet that same degree at a community college would cost less than $5000. I and the part time online faculty are certainly not getting that money - yet a quick search seems to indicate that senior level managers are making millions each year. It feels 'bad" once you look into things a bit deeper.

Only make decisions on statistically valid data. You have to give raises to your part time online faculty or they are going to leave in even greater numbers than we have been experiencing already. Full time employees must see pay equity - I supervise people who make 35% more than me. Raises have to be meaningful - a 3% increase for exceeding expectations is insulting and is not an incentive to work hard again this year. Stop making so many changes to systems and processes as it is creates uncertainty on how to do things which is expensive and leads to errors. If gainful employment is an issue then do something about it besides sending out emails about how unfair it is. The response I would make is a) then tell me how it is fair to charge students so much tuition b) take a pay cut and lower dividends and reduce tuition....because I see nothing I and the faculty can do about it. We are already overworked and underpaid - we have nothing left to give.

Unethical.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the Steven Covey Training Seven Habits of Highly Successful People which prompted me to leave the company. As a manager, I enjoyed large annual profit-based bonuses, but often felt shame about the source of our sales revenue.

Cons

Several difficult years there. Leadership is lacking and the corporate culture is negative. Few managers follow the policies, higher education regulations, or common business practices. HR lacks forward-thinking, innovative or functionally-educated leaders (e.g. degrees in HR). IT systems are antiquated.