DeVry Education Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Director, HR

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

At DeVry, there is a Culture of Care, teamwork and collaboration. The organization is values focused and committed to the mission of helping students succeed. Also, the leadership has a focus on ensuring we operate with integrity.

Cons

Much of the business is focused abroad, Brazil, Caribbean, China etc. US operations are declining except in Nursing. Uncertain of the future in the US.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with transparency and motivate talented colleagues to remain,. DVG is a great company and many of us want to have long careers here.

2. Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of advisors/director to work with. 40 hour work week, somewhat flexible Rewarding to work with college students and seeing them graduate with a degree. Daily schedule is always different. Upper Management/Administrators are approachable and great to work with.

Cons

Constant changing environment and processes. (not always a bad thing though) Initial training & Modules were not great and had to learn a lot on my own or by asking a lot of questions. A lot of information to learn for compliance & programs offered/locations offered.

Advice to Management

Create better training modules for new hires with more focus on program knowledge specific to location offerings. Spend more time working 1 on 1 with director during initial training, to fully explain process and program offerings. Create a SF training module that allows the ability to work within SF to practice daily plans, search criteria, completing applications and other steps within the admissions process. This took a lot of time to become comfortable with and required a lot of self training/questions to do properly.

3. Great place to start and build a career.

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started my career at DeVry Education Group 10+ years ago in an entry-level Admissions role and have advanced through several leadership roles within that department and recently transitioned to a leadership role in Operations. With this experience and tenure in mind, I believe I am well-qualified to speak to the array of career development tools and opportunities DeVry Education Group (DVG) provides for colleagues who are willing to work hard, embrace DeVry’s values, earn the trust of their superiors and seize opportunities when they arise. One of the pros of this organization is the number of entry-level opportunities available to those looking to start a career with potential for growth. As an educational institution, DeVry believes in its ability to train and develop its colleagues for a particular role and future career development. Therefore, the focus in hiring for these roles is more on identifying the right people & personalities for the culture, and a little bit less on prior resume experience and skills. This makes DVG an excellent option for career launchers or changers who are looking to prove themselves and develop long-term career skills. Adding to that, leadership throughout DVG highly encourages colleagues to take advantage of the Colleague Tuition Benefit Plan to earn their Bachelor's or Master's degree(s) at very little cost to the colleague, and to enroll in our internal training courses through the DeVry Leadership Center to learn more specialized skills. In addition to formal education and training programs, I have seen this organization effectively use stretch assignments and formal /informal mentors to help colleagues develop skills for career enhancement. That being said, each colleague has to take ownership for their development and seek out these opportunities in order to get the most out of the resources at their disposal. Another pro is that this organization offers competitive compensation and benefits, as evidenced by low attrition rates throughout the divisions I have worked in. Additionally, the medical, dental, vacation, 401k (with employer match), and many other benefits are available on day one of employment. Overall, I have a long list of positive experiences, but the most important to me is the quality of people I have had the opportunity to work with throughout my time here. Like any organization of this size, not every colleague I’ve worked with here is highly engaged, but on the whole, I have always been impressed with how positive and dedicated the vast majority of colleagues are who I have the opportunity to work with in this organization. The people I work with every day are ultimately what keeps me coming back year in and year out.

Cons

Of course, not every aspect of working at DeVry is perfect. We are in the midst of the one of the most challenging economic periods the education sector has ever experienced. Enrollment in post-secondary education is down across the US, due in part to the ongoing lack of confidence in our country's jobs outlook and slow economic recovery. The declining enrollments have resulted in a number of targeted staff reductions throughout DVG that have led to some concerns about job security. This however, is not a unique challenge to DeVry or even to the Education sector as a whole right now, and DVG has worked hard to minimize these reductions and to provide solid severance plans for those impacted. DeVry Education Group as a whole remains financially strong and well-diversified, so I am confident about the long-term prospects for this organization. Another con that sometimes gets mentioned by colleagues is that it can feel like promotions and career development opportunities don’t always happen as quickly as people would like. Admittedly, the staff reductions over the past few years, along with the previously mentioned high number of entry-level roles, means there are a lot of colleagues competing for a limited number of leadership roles. So to the extent that for some people, there is a lack of promotion opportunities, I can't dispute that statement. But what I do take exception is to the part about a lack of development opportunities. Having worked my way up, I can relate to the challenges of working every day to get recognition and promotion consideration. But I also recognize that all opportunities are earned by achieving sustained results in whatever role you are currently in. There is a real focus on results at DeVry. Some colleagues want to run before they can walk and expect that meeting basic expectations should result in annual promotions and increased responsibility. In truth, the people who are first in line for promotions in this organization (and any good one) are the ones who have consistently delivered results above expectations and who have learned how to support their manager and help them meet and exceed their goals. The point is, they exceed expectations in their daily role, which affords them the opportunity to take on more responsibility, which in turn helps prepare them for promotional opportunities. Again, this is a large organization, so there are definitely opportunities for improvement in every department. Yet this is why the organization utilizes and puts a lot of stock into our colleague engagement surveys twice each year. I have personally seen the organization implement a number of new colleague-centric policies and practices directly in response to the feedback on these surveys, such as the expansion of flex-work arrangements and improved colleague communication strategies like our quarterly town hall meetings. I have seen first-hand how DeVry is willing to continuously improve based on the feedback of its colleagues, which makes it an organization where I want to continue my career.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to and working to implement the feedback of your colleagues.

5. Financial Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- My division has excellent senior leadership. For me this makes all the difference. Work/Life balance is valued but you are expected to work hard when go above and beyond. - I feel like I'm in a position where I have access to decision makers and my analysis/commentary is solicited by decision makers - Pay is at market for my position - I truly, truly believe DeVry Education Group is a good actor in an industry that often is portrayed as a greedy, unethical word. My exposure to senior leaders has enforced a culture of care for your fellow colleague but more importantly for students and the work you do on their behalf. - HR development cycle is very complete and training offered within the organization for a variety of topics is supported and encouraged by all levels.

Cons

- The industry of private higher ed has a tarnished reputation, - While growth opportunities often present themselves in times of stress the current situation of the higher ed industry is one of high stress as the market continues to evolve.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging a culture of care and continue to offer opportunities to high-performers. Please continue to be willing to share your own knowledge and experience with colleagues attempting to develop.

Greatness Amidst Uncertainty

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Compensation in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Compensation in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleague Benefits - from tuition benefits to success sharing for its colleagues

Cons

Cost reductions and downsizing can impair feelings of job security

Advice to Management

Invest in manager training to enhance reward and recognition during difficult times

7. Not really a nice place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great. We have potlucks sometimes

Cons

I think the tuition is too high. I feel sorry for the students and veterans.

Advice to Management

They need reward people approriately

8. 60 Days In with DeVry Education Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The transition to DeVry Education Group from my former employer was relatively seamless. I feel as if I fit in with the organization, values and ideals. There are opportunities for advancement within the organization, transparent communications regarding organization status and changes and a real team atmosphere, which is what I was looking for.

Cons

The only true con that I have experienced is waiting for vacation accrual, so many organizations are changing to an accrual system, so this is to be expected.

9. DeVry University, Phoenix, AZ

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with the students, most of them are motivated to pursue a career. The company stresses communication and continuous improvement. There are many ideas brought up that help to make improvements in the course material, course delivery, provide the tools for students to learn more efficiently.

Cons

There is no bookstore on campus, textbooks are available online, but they can be obtained from other sources too.

10. Network Operations Center

Current Employee - Associate Infrastructure Services & Operations in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fast paste, laid back environment. Great management and co-workers.

Cons

I don't have any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

DeVry Education Group embodies a culture that focuses on empowering and developing employees in order for its students to succeed.

Cons

I have nothing to add in this section.

Advice to Management

You have a wealth of great talent within the company, please continue to offer your future leaders the opportunity to stretch and grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed