DeVry Education Group

Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

DeVry Education Group President & CEO Daniel Hamburger
Daniel Hamburger

Pros
  • Good benefits and great executive team (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits especially tuition assistance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • there is little to no room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Very long hours for some departments, pay for certain departments were average at best (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Admissions Advisor

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people were team-oriented and supportive. A lot of emphasis was placed on training & development, and acting with integrity.

Cons

Upward mobility is difficult. Although most people were great, not all of the leadership were trustworthy.

Most of the management have since moved on.

Bogus Positive Reviews

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good and they use that to attract you.

Cons

The leadership style is the Plantation Management.

DeVry, Are you having people fill out BOGUS positive reviews? No companies does everything perfectly!...ESPECIALLY DeVry!!! Look at your exit interviews and turnover stats. Most people hate/hated working at DeVry. You don't care anything about employees or students. You treat most employees like garbage and you enroll people that have no chance of being college material.

Little Room to Grow - Either they like you or they hate you

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee's within your rank all get what's going on and share your sentiment. The organization had grown too fast in the 90's and is now tailing back and laying off staff. However you can get your degree while working there so it maybe a good launching pad for a career elsewhere with an advanced degree.

Cons

This industry has peaked and is now on the downturn. Lot's of lay offs in the last two years but hopefully they'll figure it out and create opportunities for growth for their top tier employees.

Don't just treat the employee's you like well, treat the best employees well with room for growth and a rewarding career.

Admissions Advisor

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Built great relationships and met great people. I made life long friends with some former colleagues. It felt good to help students that actually needed and wanted the help.

Cons

Its hard to get into other positions unless you are good friends with management. There are 300 other advisors that want to get out of admissions. Position can sometimes be repetitious if nobody is answering the phones. Hiring managers are not honest with prospective employees in interview about having to have so many students start class each session.

Be honest in hiring interviews, people have left great companies to come here and find that the position was much different than what they were told it would be.

Great opportunity

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

you can move your way up
    great working environment
    higher ups are very down to earth and approachable

Cons

terrible pay
    some positions are hourly and over time is always offered but those hourly positions usually end up making more than the supervisor each year.

Great place to learn the ropes of a company environment...

I worked at DeVry Education Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was working there as a intern. I was given the opportunity for an intern position through a workshop I attended. It is a great place to work and learn if you are still in school. They allow you to go through many of the programs they have deployed and developed. You get the sense of the real-world experience working for a company from 9 to 5 work load. As an intern you get about $12.50 an hour, but I didn't complain. It was the experience that I wanted more.

Cons

The time here can be short and if you are looking to get a full-time job here, it may not happen. Of the 10 intern that applied for various intern positions, only one was given a full-time job because there is a need for this individual. There are a lot of departments where interns go the get experience in their respective fields, but they only hire if they need you. There is a possibility of full employment a few months down the line. I have known other interns who experienced that when they went through the internship program and where called a few months later, to fill in a need. This is mainly a job for learning and getting used to a company culture. To prepare you for the real-world.

None. There is some politics, but not enough for me to really gauge what was going on. For the most part, most of it was not my business.

RN Faculty

Current Employee - Manager, Government Relations in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager, Government Relations in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group (more than an year)

Pros

The vision of the President

Cons

No everyone shares this vision and leadership style

Don't just assign, talk to your staff and faculty in order to obtain buy-in,if that is what you really want. Authoritative leadership styles are ineffective.

Good company to work for, great benefits, awesome free tuition, not much room for growth at all.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Graduate Admissions is very flexible with their work schedule, the managers are very relaxed and the atmosphere is easy going. The benefits are great, you can get education benefits for free. The insurance and PTO benefits are good.

Cons

Annual raises are not based on performance, you basically get the same raise as everyone else in your pay grade, which is not great. Advancing to a different department is a joke, there is really no room for growth unless you wait years and years and it is still not guaranteed. Lots of advisors still in level one after years, the raises and promotions are subjective. They also do not recognize or compensate higher education.

Poor recognition, promote advisors that have been there for years and deserve it, appreciate employees.

Too many layoffs

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance is good, even though you are requied to work some Saturdays. Co-workers are fabulous. They really do care about the students. Try to make the work environment fun.

Cons

layoffs every year. disconnect between home office and branches. Too many changes going on between all departments. Admissions are blamed for everything. They have cut inquiries by half

Stop micromanaging

Worked part time in Payroll/HR department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was only Part time but the employees I worked with were helpful and friendly. The leadership took time to know you and also care.

Cons

Since I was only part time I have no cons about the company