DeVry University Reviews

Reset
3.7
DeVry University President Robert Paul
Robert Paul

Pros
  • The pros were a good benefits package and reasonable salary for my first job out of college (in 31 reviews)

• Great work life balance and culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The work schedule was not at all conducive to work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Awful micromanagement from upper management (in 13 reviews)

1. Best Job I have ever had

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

in the short time I have been here I have received an extreme amount of support and respect throughout the University. The management in my opinion is very understanding and extremely easy going. I am not micro managed and feel as though I am treated as though I am an asset to the company. I am compensated fairly and can take a day off without feeling guilty or being in jeopardy of losing my job. If you have to work a Saturday, it is only for four hours and you are given four hours off during your Monday through Friday shifts.

Cons

I don't have many negatives, the training could be organized better since it isn't often that they hire in my particular location. A lot of the material I was given access to was out dated and conflicted with current industry standards.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive thus far, my advice is to continue treating your employees with respect and as assets to the company.

2. HR Business Partner

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the camaraderie and the strong focus on employee engagement. DeVry really cares not only about the success of its students, but also very much on the personal development and success of each employee.

Cons

At the time, the university went through some struggles due to the external environment, but it actually managed things quite well and has really done some great things to improve the student and employee experience since then.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset. Keep focused on a strong culture of care and you will keep your employees happy and engaged.

3. Senior Admissions Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great local Management and fun company events

Cons

Unstable company vision from above

Advice to Management

Be honest

5. Senior Admissions Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The tuition benefits. There are a few amazing and motivational people at each location that helped make me stay years longer despite the low salary.

Cons

There's no ability to move up in the company. There's no way of improving your salary except taking advantage of the tuition benefits to finish your degree and taking it elsewhere.

6. It is workplace where a lot of growth in wisdom, knowledge, and understanding can happen.

Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

A great environment to work because it involves a lot of communication and teamwork.

Cons

I have not really found a downside on working at DeVry; however, the work itself can be rather slow.

Advice to Management

Leadership at DeVry is well enough as it is because I have the fortune to work with great supervisors and directors.

Very difficult to perform

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great benefits Good place to start and learn the business Solid reputation Compensation is fair

Cons

Human resources is simply awful Tuition is too high for the two year programs Management too young with weak managerial skills Must be with the in crowd to get promoted Senior management too high pressure and negative CEO is greedy and impatient Leads are terrible some as old as two or three years The job is very hard to do when poor behavior is not addressed, lack of professionism and poor resources to do your job. Morale is extremely low and most of the Directors are out for themselves. There is pressure to work weekends and overtime even though they don't pay time and a half. No work life balance and DeVry is joked as being a relationship killer. Most people pack on serious pounds due to stress related to the job. They closed the office due to poor numbers. Poor senior management and lack of HR support was a huge factor in the failure.

Advice to Management

Negative negative negative. Try some encouragement for a change. Stop being so greedy. Raising the tuition in this environment was assinine. Promote the best managers and not just the hot chicks or buddies of the DAs. Teach managers people skills. Fire incompetent managers. Phoenix had managers that were terrible yet never addressed them.

Lots of phone work

Former Employee - Academic Counselor - Axia College Military Division in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Nice work atmosphere Friendly staff and co-workers Strong dedication to military Good communication amongst teams Good managerial concern/input in individual performance

Cons

The training they give could be more inclusive of real world instances that happen on the phones. Sometimes it is difficult to find the information needed to answer questions. If you work late (past 4PM) it is hard to find a manager.

Advice to Management

Counselors do have a big workload and I spent a good portion of my day putting put fires with demands from students who call or email. However, I was also required to keep up with 300+ other students. I feel that students would get better service if the workload per counselor were lightened.

RSS Feed </> Embed