DeVry University Reviews

• Phoenix, AZ
3.8
DeVry University President David Pauldine
David Pauldine

1. It is workplace where a lot of growth in wisdom, knowledge, and understanding can happen.

Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

A great environment to work because it involves a lot of communication and teamwork.

Cons

I have not really found a downside on working at DeVry; however, the work itself can be rather slow.

Advice to Management

Leadership at DeVry is well enough as it is because I have the fortune to work with great supervisors and directors.

Very difficult to perform

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Great benefits
    Good place to start and learn the business
    Solid reputation
    Compensation is fair

Cons

Human resources is simply awful
    Tuition is too high for the two year programs
    Management too young with weak managerial skills
    Must be with the in crowd to get promoted
    Senior management too high pressure and negative
    CEO is greedy and impatient
    Leads are terrible some as old as two or three years

The job is very hard to do when poor behavior is not addressed, lack of professionism and poor resources to do your job. Morale is extremely low and most of the Directors are out for themselves. There is pressure to work weekends and overtime even though they don't pay time and a half. No work life balance and DeVry is joked as being a relationship killer. Most people pack on serious pounds due to stress related to the job. They closed the office due to poor numbers. Poor senior management and lack of HR support was a huge factor in the failure.

Advice to Management

Negative negative negative. Try some encouragement for a change. Stop being so greedy. Raising the tuition in this environment was assinine. Promote the best managers and not just the hot chicks or buddies of the DAs. Teach managers people skills. Fire incompetent managers. Phoenix had managers that were terrible yet never addressed them.

3. Lots of phone work

Former Employee - Academic Counselor - Axia College Military Division in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

Nice work atmosphere
    Friendly staff and co-workers
    Strong dedication to military
    Good communication amongst teams
    Good managerial concern/input in individual performance

Cons

The training they give could be more inclusive of real world instances that happen on the phones.
    Sometimes it is difficult to find the information needed to answer questions. If you work late (past 4PM) it is hard to find a manager.

Advice to Management

Counselors do have a big workload and I spent a good portion of my day putting put fires with demands from students who call or email. However, I was also required to keep up with 300+ other students. I feel that students would get better service if the workload per counselor were lightened.

DeVry University Photos