DeVry University

DeVry University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

DeVry University President David Pauldine

David Pauldine

Pros
  • decent pay for coming straight out of college and pretty good benefits(in 28 reviews)

• Great benefits package, great staff at the local campuses most doing their jobs as best as they can(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to maintain, if you are trying to make the most of the tuition benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Also to show upper management they implemented a checks and balance system(in 13 reviews)

A solid job

ProsIt is a wonderful feeling helping students to get their degrees and move onward and upward in their lives. You have a sense you are making a personal difference. Pay is ok.

ConsUnrealistic expectations from upper management; all holidays must be worked, extensive blackout dates for vacation requests, little consideration for personal needs. Despite a lot of lip service for employee development, actual development and promotions are ridiculously hard to come by. VERY POLITICAL environment.

Lots of change/restructuring

Admissions Advisor II (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosgreat training
    funny co-workers
    pot lucks
    3 legged turtle in the pond

Consno job security in admissions unless you are making consistent starts.. they say can fire based on production but if the student isn't a good fit i'm not pushing for them to start
    no work/life balance

Advice to Senior Managementbe more transparent with how departments/campuses are doing in regards to keeping staff

Professional environment

Admission Advisor III (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHelping others acheive their dreams of a better future.

ConsManagement and politics are the main cons

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to add at this time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Company

ProsGreat benefits, good schedule and pay

ConsCulture has declined, no growth opportunities

Good employees; enrollment challenges

ProsSalary good as compared to nonprofit, traditional universities. Benefits decent; medical could be better. Dedicated, hard working staff for the most part.

ConsOpportunities for training limited at the campus level. HR move to call center model was not a good move. Diminished enrollment has impacted staffing.
    Too much corporate oversight. Non exempt employees challenged to get work done in 40 hour week. The people who seem to get ahead are those who work off the clock; managers tend to look the other way. Top management is clueless about what it takes to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop subjecting campuses to long Town Hall meetings about the successes of other entities within the Education Group, which takes people away from the work of serving students. Less corporate oversight and focus on collecting stats. Allow middle management greater autonomy.

Thrilling experience

IT Tech Assistant (Current Employee) Decatur, GA

ProsLearning new fields as well as meeting different types of people

ConsNot being able to resolve situations that are out of your control

Nice Job if you can get it

Associate Professor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt was a good place to work. The students were motivated, and the teaching tools were excellent. They have a solid idea of where each course fits in the progress of the student, and they seem pretty committed to doing their best by them.

ConsThe metrics for success in a teaching position were not well articulated, which resulted in my losing my position for a reason of which I am not sure of. The annual rating process is flawed and subjective, making it difficult to actually decide what you need to do to achieve your annual goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and be clearer about what you really want.

Great Company. Great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best company's I've worked for. They always strive to do the right thing for their students and employees. Great leadership and they do their best to make sure new hires are a good fit for the company.

ConsThe industry as a whole is under a lot of scrutiny. DeVry University and parent company (DeVry Education Group) are going above and beyond industry standard adherence to all government regulations and compliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

The university is falling apart.

Student Worker (Former Employee) Addison, IL

ProsAt first, everyone was really friendly and helpful. The job wasn't too stressful and the pay was decent for a student worker position.

ConsAfter the first two sessions, working around my schedule took less priority. I had a lot more responsibilities than originally discussed without a raise. I also wasn't allowed to do work in my spare time as originally promised. When I decided to leave, my superiors forgot to turn in my time sheet leaving me with the troubles of having to go through a different bank to get a card with my money that I couldn't transfer to my account without a fee. Everything just went south, and it has continued to go south.

Great company, the worst department is Admissions

ProsPay, coworkers, location, benefits and vacation

ConsManagement, demanding managers, corporate, work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to your employees - They are the ones who are actually working.

Worked for DeVry University? Contribute to the Community!