DeVry University Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
441 reviews filtered by
DeVry University President David Pauldine
David Pauldine

Pros
  • The pros were a good benefits package and reasonable salary for my first job out of college (in 31 reviews)

• Co-workers, benefits, work life balance were great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The work schedule was not at all conducive to work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Also to show upper management they implemented a checks and balance system (in 13 reviews)

1. Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

awesome pay With this company

Cons

hours are not as great

2. Avoid a career with DeVry

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Decent pay - bachelors degree required - vacation and sick time

Cons

Terrible management - unstable job - lots of turnover

3. Work is enjoyable, staff need to work together mroe often

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

The jobs is flexible and you can literally choose when you want to work. The pay is ok considering the classes are only eight weeks

Cons

The faculty do not know each other; therefore there is no consistency between the classes. Also, some professors are considerably more lenient than others which makes it more difficult from the professors with average expectations.

Advice to Management

Include the adjunct

5. Fantastic work place.

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

The atmosphere itself and interacting with my fellow students.

Cons

No cons outside of the hours.

6. Admissions

Current Employee - Admission in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Admission in Orlando, FL

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Friendly environment and great coaching. Constant efforts are always made to help you improve. You are given the ability to create your own success. Communication was excellent between advisors and management.

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the industry. Reps do EVERYTHING for the students, but aren't compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Restructure your rewards and compensation, it is not competitive in the industry and you don't reward reps well enough monetarily. If you want to keep the best talent, you should give them a reason to stay other than medals on a board that nobody can feed their families with.

7. Overall good experience working for this company.

Current Employee - Senior Executive Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DeVry has been a good company to work for. The company offers good healthcare and retirement benefits. Within higher education, we are fairly compensated.

Cons

DeVry like other proprietary education institutions have fallen to volatility of the economy. Since I have excelled in my position there is no other opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

For future growth consider expanding more career opportunities within DEM.Additional titles aren't necessary but role expansions within the organization will help.

8. Loved working there!

Current Employee - Career Advisor
    Current Employee - Career Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

The people, the benefits and the job.

Cons

Work hours could vary, students didn't always have correct expectations of our department.

9. Academia can take the fun out of teaching if you aren't careful.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

+ Great opportunities for teaching
    + Quality processes keep the organization oriented on improvement
    + A business focus on profit keeps company goals grounded and realistic, not choked by academic certifications
    + Good core values that encourage teaching
    + Fantastic staff and part-time faculty, hired without the arduous filters that state academic institutions require, but instead hired based on practical experience and (inadvertently) altruistic desire to teach
    + Excellent opportunities to reach out to students and genuinely improve lives
    + DeVry's focus on developing practical job skills is really solid, and very helpful for students, and makes me feel good to be a part of

Cons

- Meaningless promotions for faculty members
    - Quality of campuses varies significantly from site to site
    - Disconnected administration that makes decisions on behalf of the business, not the education of students
    - Poor administrative support for developing faculty. We are a school for goodness sake, we know how to develop people!
    - Immature approach to new course development.
    - All courses rely on their eCollege implementation, which probably still has room for improvement.
    - All problems are magnified with Online curricula, where faculty have less interaction with students.
    - Clear, yet unspoken focus on profit (as opposed to a genuine corporate focus on student education), which hurts the brand
    - A culture of jumping through hoops rather than really pushing to make a positive difference (pretty standard bureaucracy)

Advice to Management

* Reduce the cost of the education for students. Take pay cuts at the administrative levels to do it. That will improve both student AND teacher morale, and improve the attractiveness of the programs.
    * Find your most respected and impactful faculty members and empower them to re-define the curricula and culture from the inside out.
    * Hire the good part-time faculty as full-time, and give the full-time ones enough actual time to improve courses for the benefit of students (instead of filling them up with courses).
    * Don't try to push marketing onto your faculty members. We teach for a living, and regularly have to fail spoiled millennial kids. We have gotten pretty good at seeing through B.S., and lose respect for people who try to do it to us.

10. Student

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Classes are small...teachers actually care and help you

Cons

classes aren't always available when you need them

11. Federal Work Study in the IT Department.

Former Employee - IT Technician Federal Work Study in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - IT Technician Federal Work Study in Dayton, OH

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

Was a very challenging position as the job was never the same every day. There were many challenges daily with helping students or employees with different problems. This gave me a great chance to put my skills from my classes to practical use before I graduated.

Cons

Not always having the permissions needed to perform some jobs with out calling someone else in the company.

DeVry University Photos