DeVry University

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

DeVry University President David Pauldine
David Pauldine

Pros
  • The pros were a good benefits package and reasonable salary for my first job out of college (in 31 reviews)

• Co-workers, benefits, work life balance were great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The work schedule was not at all conducive to work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Also to show upper management they implemented a checks and balance system (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

adjunct

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

grwwat place to teach, good support for adjuncts

Cons

Not many fulltime teachung opportunities

Enjoyed it, wish I didn't have to leave!

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic and they also had a good training program. Chris Vock was great. Seems like they do have a solid path to growth with the company Academic advisor I, II, III, team lead, supervisor etc. The only reason I left was due to relocating across the country, but I still keep my eyes open for any job openings at DeVry in NC.

Cons

I worked at the Naperville Call Center, and it does get slightly repetitive. You have at least a few calls each day that the students are VERY angry and will cuss at you.

Continue to push towards the 'work from home' goal.

Best Job

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my ensure with DeVry University. My position was a perfect fit for me. I respect the University for its high integrity.

Cons

Those in positions not in high level administration could feel disconnected to the University's operation.

Good

Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist - Student Worker in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Specialist - Student Worker in Decatur, GA

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Great teamwork and willing to help others

Cons

Sometimes staff forget about other issues when there is a major issue.

Military Education Liaison and Manager of Local Accounts

Former Employee - Military Education Liaison and Manager of Local Accounts in Seattle, WA

I worked at DeVry University (less than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary with the independence of being able to build your own book of business. Average training to prepare for hitting the streets. Pursuing personal initiative and drive will allow you to shine in this position. Great people to work with. Great benefits package accompanies the pay.

Cons

Very metrics driven. Metrics are driven not only on your ability to gain interest from those interested in attending school but also in the Admissions team to close the deal with prospective students. The problem is that as the "recruiter", you are held to the metrics where the admissions teams are not. Once you have gained the potential prospect, you are no longer allowed to speak to the prospective student and must jump through hoops to find out who on the admissions team contacted the prospective student and then you have to stay persistently in contact with them to ensure your metrics can be met. The system does not make sense. How can I be held accountable in metrics for someone else who has no accountability? Really?!

Changes are needed to balance the metrics and place emphasis on the efforts put into work rather than creating greater friction between the recruiting and admissions teams. In addition, when opening a new area to build business, common sense needs to be at the forefront and the understanding it takes more than just a few months to build rapport and relationship in an area that has never been canvassed. Unrealistic goals cannot be attained when opening a newer area for business.

Very convenient

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

Flexible, you meet great people

Cons

no sense of community, fragmented.

Okay, just no regard to career path

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Great environment for the most part.. Office culture is great, lots of great individuals who are part of devry.

Cons

Leadership has no regard for career path, all they care about is the number of applications taken. They are not supportive at all and there is no recognition for a job well done.

Provide more leadership skills and better training. Have concrete career path to help people move forward in the company.

DeVry University Houston Campus

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

Professional group of women and men to work for, wonderful family values, very caring of students and their needs.

Cons

at any moment job could be cut

should give more of a heads up before cutting position.

one person's view

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

originally a great bunch of people from diverse backgrounds to work with ....decent pay and benefits

Cons

Very unstable environment seems to constantly hire and layoff one year later....curious way to conduct business

unfortunately due to the intense and growing competition for online education DeVru must rid itself of excess higherups....there are wayyy too many people making alot of money that do not affect admissions....if DeVry does not get leaner soon it will cease to exist

A good place to work.

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

Collaborative team to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement opportunities.

DeVry University Photos