DeVry University Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
441 reviews filtered by
DeVry University President David Pauldine
David Pauldine

Pros
  • The pros were a good benefits package and reasonable salary for my first job out of college (in 31 reviews)

• Co-workers, benefits, work life balance were great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The work schedule was not at all conducive to work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Also to show upper management they implemented a checks and balance system (in 13 reviews)

1. Avoid a career with DeVry

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Decent pay - bachelors degree required - vacation and sick time

Cons

Terrible management - unstable job - lots of turnover

2. Work is enjoyable, staff need to work together mroe often

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

The jobs is flexible and you can literally choose when you want to work. The pay is ok considering the classes are only eight weeks

Cons

The faculty do not know each other; therefore there is no consistency between the classes. Also, some professors are considerably more lenient than others which makes it more difficult from the professors with average expectations.

Advice to Management

Include the adjunct

3. Admissions

Current Employee - Admission in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Admission in Orlando, FL

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Friendly environment and great coaching. Constant efforts are always made to help you improve. You are given the ability to create your own success. Communication was excellent between advisors and management.

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the industry. Reps do EVERYTHING for the students, but aren't compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Restructure your rewards and compensation, it is not competitive in the industry and you don't reward reps well enough monetarily. If you want to keep the best talent, you should give them a reason to stay other than medals on a board that nobody can feed their families with.

5. Trying to Get Out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A few good people left. Unfortunately they don't care about talent and let some of our best employees walk out the door. They've even pushed some out. It's sad because the people who are "in charge," are so disconnected that they're making decisions that are critically detrimental to our campus and its success.

Cons

The managers here are awful. They all talk about each other to employees and it's highly unprofessional. My manager isn't even onsite and the manager that is onsite can't do anything to help us. It's very top heavy and completely ineffective. The students are suffering because we're all pulled in too many directions.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you cared about your employees and their development as much as you cared about letting everyone know how you feel about the other managers. Lead by example or don't expect me to care and buy-in to the hype you try to sell.

6. Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

awesome pay With this company

Cons

hours are not as great

7. Overall good experience working for this company.

Current Employee - Senior Executive Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DeVry has been a good company to work for. The company offers good healthcare and retirement benefits. Within higher education, we are fairly compensated.

Cons

DeVry like other proprietary education institutions have fallen to volatility of the economy. Since I have excelled in my position there is no other opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

For future growth consider expanding more career opportunities within DEM.Additional titles aren't necessary but role expansions within the organization will help.

8. University?

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You are kidding me?! In the beginning everything seems great. A lot of support and excellent service to society and changing lives through education.

Cons

After a while, the smog if lies disappear and you understand the true business side to the education factor. They truly should practice what they supposedly preach in accordance to their own benefit.
    Micromanagement and fear producing tactics to generate more enrollments are at it's best!
    Incompetent management and always bending their own policies.
    If you dare to speak up- be ready to be written up or put in a plan
    Chicago location run by all women- so prepare for drama and deceit all day long.
    Best part of the job: their office is swarming with bed bugs.
    Lol, enter at your own risk

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing so you can be shut down soon. No one should give their hard earned money to GREEDY for profit schools- so fingers crossed the society rids you if your unproductive scam of a brighter future to our young generation.

Very unprofessional Environment!

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Prime office location, located downtown chicago

Cons

The environment is very unprofessional, the "throwing under the bus" and "snitching" behavior is encouraged here. Managers have issues with employees using there vacation/sick personal time, inappropriate race comments and jokes are always made in this office. No levels for advancement within the admissions, and support services departments. Employee development training is very remedial. Leadership in departments barely know the functions of their jobs. Lots of unethical behavior in this company.

Advice to Management

This location needs to become more professional and ethical. Support services leadership especially the enrollment Coordinator dept needs stronger managerial skills. Equality is also needed in this dept. Less obvious favoritism toward non minority and younger employees.

10. Fantastic work place.

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

The atmosphere itself and interacting with my fellow students.

Cons

No cons outside of the hours.

11. Loved working there!

Current Employee - Career Advisor
    Current Employee - Career Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

The people, the benefits and the job.

Cons

Work hours could vary, students didn't always have correct expectations of our department.

DeVry University Photos