DeVry University

DeVry University Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

DeVry University President David Pauldine

David Pauldine

Pros:
  • "decent pay for coming straight out of college and pretty good benefits"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Great benefits package, great staff at the local campuses most doing their jobs as best as they can"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is hard to maintain, if you are trying to make the most of the tuition benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Also to show upper management they implemented a checks and balance system"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DeVry opened up many doors for me.

Federal Work Study (Current Employee)

I have been working at DeVry University part-time for more than a year

ProsAs a student worker, I was able to meet most of the faculty and employees on campus. Networking through them, I was able to interview with many other different companies and land a great job.

ConsThe school has made major cutbacks, failed at addressing enrollment and graduate rates, and are not able to meet the students' needs. (They are constantly adjusting which has helped to an extent)

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in tune with outside communities and markets, so the school never falls behind.

Adjunct Faculty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DeVry University

ProsCompensation, flexibility, cultural, promotion, support

Consheavily rely on the student evaluation, may subject instructor to undue pressure

Great to work for as a Student IT Technician

IT Technician (Former Employee)
Elk Grove, CA

I worked at DeVry University as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat learning experience. I got to use things I already knew, plus learn new technology

ConsDidn't get to do very much as a student worker / intern relating to my degree field.
The school put students to work in the IT department whose degree fields had nothing to do with Information Technology

Advice to Senior ManagementPut students to work in student worker positions relating more to their degree field

Great place to work

Team Lead (Current Employee)
Addison, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful benefits
Cares about work-life balance
Strong Training
Promotes within

ConsGet ridiculously busy at the end of every session
Sometimes, puts too much emphasis in the wrong areas
Very entrenched leadership can sometimes lead to lack of innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep your options open and not get stuck in a rut.

Overall Good Experience

Student Services (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDeVry is a great place to work. The people are nice, friendly, professional and I was treated like family. They offer annual raises to keep up with inflation. The overall atmosphere in my position was positive and a fun place to work.

One thing DeVry is good at doing is providing professional development opportunities for its employees. Whether it is trainings or giving us opportunities to be a part of projects that will help us grow. I really appreciate that now as I do not get that at my current job.

ConsThe dynamic started to change towards the end of my time at DeVry. There ended up being a lot of layoffs and no options to transfer positions.

Why NOT DeVry, Chamberlain or Keller

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for more than a year

ProsBesides slightly better health insurance then other employers, they offer the same benefit package as most other employers

ConsBad pay, cancerous office environment, unskilled managers with big egos, constant rush to push students to register for classes, lot of pressure and urgency, bad new hire training, inconsistent messaging, mandatory late night and weekend work, segregated employees with lots of gossip and rumors, dirty office, poor facilities, free education for employees is really not free with a lot of stipulations, too many more cons not enough space, dead end career

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Average employer.

Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at DeVry University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible, Free parking and long vacations

ConsSalary too low and no many quality students

Run strictly as a corporation and not a school.

I have been working at DeVry University full-time

ProsHelping students achieve their educational goals is really rewarding, the salary is great compared to other institutions.

ConsLong hours as we are open until 8pm and open on Saturdays; management does not offer clear guidance on how to obtain organizational goals; declining enrollment has lead to extensive layoffs, however they turn around and hire someone else at a lesser salary for the same position; management undermines staff often; not many career opportunities.

Quanity over quality is driving out the best employees.

I have been working at DeVry University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery flexable schedule. They are also very good about trying to accomadate time off. The benefits are also pretty good in comparison with some university.

ConsWith students starting to turn from private schools, DeVry reacts with lashing out at employees. Suddenly it is more more more, instead of actually assisting students. The mass numbers of people leaving has left online short staffed, and under prepared. This causes studnets to become frustrated rightfully so. This place is a study in horrible management. Directors run around trying to figure out how to blame the other department for the lack of new students instead of addressing the real problem. All the while the actual employees are over worked and not apperciated. There is only so many times a person can be scoled for not following a robic script.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all current managers. They are completly biased, and are to stuck on the old ways. DeVry is a sinking ship with management telling everyone to remain calm, and that it is just a drill.

DeVry, first in customer service.

Tutor (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at DeVry University part-time for less than a year

ProsI am truly impressed with the values and level of quality service provided at the KC, MO campus. Awesome!

ConsI didn't experience any negatives. I only worked on a part-time basis, so I was not entitled to benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the level of quality leadership at your campus! I think that other DeVry campuses should emulate that of the KC campus.

Worked for DeVry University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DeVry University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DeVry University CEO David Pauldine. All 306 reviews posted anonymously by DeVry University employees.