Deacom Reviews

22 reviews filtered by
3.4
Deacom President Jay T. Deakins
Jay T. Deakins

1. The best career move I have made!

I have been working at Deacom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Deacom offers a ton of professional growth. As the company continues to grow more positions are opening and there are more opportunities for professional advancement. Employees are rewarded for their hard work and not by length of service so you really have the opportunity to create your own professional destiny.
    The culture here is more like a family where we work in teams on everything and are constantly jumping in to assist one another. The support is great as everyone is fully invested in what Deacom is trying to accomplish with its growth. The employees here are so nice and passionate about their work. I really enjoy working with individuals who love what they do as much as I do. There are social functions and fun company contests for team building too!
    I have the opportunity to use my creativity and have my ideas heard. Management is open to hearing how things can be improved or done better.
    I also enjoy the work/life balance here that I haven't had with prior employers.

Cons

As the company continues to grow there are a lot of changes happening daily. I don't find this to be a con but a job seeker looking for a new company would want to know this because if they are change adverse this may not be an environment where they would be successful.

Been in worse environments, but I wouldn't recommend it

I worked at Deacom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful staff.
    Decent salary, good benefits.
    Good stepping stone to get into industry.
    Growing fast (which can be a con when you don't have the resources in place)

Cons

Family run business. Family member's opinions will trump your own, even if you have more experience and insight to offer. Which is odd because why are you paying me if you don't want me to help your business succeed?
    Growing company with a revolving door. Was meeting new people all the time, then they'd be gone a couple months later. Sort of a two new in, one new (or old) out experience as overall staff number grew while I was there, but saw many quit or get fired. Lots of growing "pains".
    Example of environment: CEO did not pay our annual bonus one year and had nerve to show up in new Porsche a few weeks after announcing that the revenues were going towards growing the company and not to rewarding the people who helped make it grow. This did not sit well with staff.
    Communication was poor across departments.
    Not a very forward-thinking place to work. No flex time or telecommuting (unless you're part of the executive mgmt). If you have to leave for an appointment midday, they make you take a half day of your PTO rather than come back and make up the extra hour or two later that day or week. For a company that stresses innovation, very old school mentality internally.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, not just relatives. Implement all the procedures you talk about - maybe this has happened since I resigned, but in the time I was there, there was constant talk about training programs, staff recognition, company happy hours, etc. that never were implemented. Also, when I left it was overcrowded with people sharing desks, invest in more space so employees feel welcome and appreciated.

3. Exciting times at Deacom

I have been working at Deacom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Plenty of room for job growth if you just tell management your interests. Tremendous Company growth in the past 4 years I have worked here. Bonus and raises are pretty good.

Cons

Growing so fast, it's hard to meet all the new people.

Advice to Management

Add more teambuilding and company functions

I suppose there are worse places to work...

I have been working at Deacom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The positive comments about fellow employees are largely true, with a few notable exceptions such as the manager who requested that an employee write a positive review to offset other bad ones. Things seemed to be improving in some ways when I left and I hope that has continued because I wish for the best for most of my former co-workers.

Cons

There was a time when hard work was compensated and acknowledged at Deacom. That changed when underqualified people were hired to manage those with far more experience who had done their time and deserved better. I'd advise caution with companies that have reviews that are too extreme, especially when the positive reviews are almost entirely by new employees with limited experience at the company.

Advice to Management

I saw many great employees come and go. Give your employees opportunities and acknowledge and compensate them when they excel.

Is everybody loving you today - not!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Deacom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice teammates
    nice location
    nice office
    everyone helps when you have questions

Cons

nobody knows the direction
    no I don't feel the love from management
    complexity made simple is the exact opposite of how we work
    don't feel valued so why have us
    never get asked about product structure
    sales are micro managed to the full extent - why not just have a lead call center

Advice to Management

please hire a general manager to be in the middle so we feel comfortable at work

A Little Slice of Hell

I have been working at Deacom

Pros

- paychecks are timely so far
    - lot of runners
    - coworkers are nice/experienced
    - location is convenient

Cons

I bought the whole "it's an exciting time to be here" hook, line and sinker when I came on board, but then again I'm an optimist.

- dubious sales activities
    - little to no value of employee opinion
    - poor product direction

Advice to Management

Integrations are customizations. We can't keep selling ourselves as "one system" when we're creating customizations. Change your sales approach or the market will change it for us.

8. Fun, growing company.

I have been working at Deacom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Growing company with a great product that is continuously evolving
    *Great work life balance with flexible work hours and manageable travel for consultants
    *Great group of employees which is a nice work environment
    *Compensation good for performers

Cons

*Not much in the way of a management structure which has its pros and cons
    *Executive communication is lacking
    *More team building activities and events

Advice to Management

More all hand meetings/forums to understand corporate direction. Also really need to have a christmas party. Continue to formalize the employee review process.

Bad does not begin to describe the treatment.

Former Employee - Sales in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Wayne, PA

I worked at Deacom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good starting salary.
    Co-workers are very nice.
    Got to meet a lot of different people as the turnover was so high!

Cons

No idea what management (owner) is going to do next, knee jerk reaction to situations, often times contradictory reactions.
    For employees and customers, it is the owner's way or the highway.
    Job security is non-existent, no matter how long you've been there.
    All good reviews seemed to be trumped up marketing fluff.
    Extremely unprofessional management: screaming at employees, giving advice on personal matters to employees...
    Unbelievably arrogant management, after all it is software "that Einstein would use."

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and with honesty, those are not just words to use on your website.

Jay's way or the highway.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Deacom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Feature rich software that addresses concerns of process manufacturing companies. Employees are nice, but always walking on eggshells.

Cons

-CEO thinks he is "the almighty" know it all of everything.
    -CEO has no consideration for your opinion, family, past experience, or career goals
    -CEO determines if a customer is a good fit or not. If they don't want to follow "his process" than he has no use for them, that goes for employees too. The turnover here is remarkable.
    -Unprofessional environment. Cursing, screaming, and constant belittling. Idiot is a term of endearment from this "leader".
    - Promises made internally and externally that are not kept.

Advice to Management

You have a great product and great employees. Perhaps it is time to entrust your company to outside leadership. The company will never grow with the same captain steering the ship.

Superior Culture and Great Workplace

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Deacom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers make selling our product and trusting its capabilities Much easier than what i have experienced elsewhere. The quality of the people I work with is superior and the ongoing reinforcement of our sales process is consistent and detailed for success. The owner is involved and does not micromanage, allows us to be professionals and not just an employee. Deacom is a fantastic workplace environment and easily my best decision for employment in my career.

Cons

Yep couldn't wait for this section - so I am furious at the free bottled water size we get at work. I know it's free and there are two types that Deacom provides its employees amongst so many of the overall great perks but would love 16 oz bottles instead of 12 oz. I wish this would be considered.

Advice to Management

Continue to add quality people and continue to enhance te product so that Deacom continues down the oath of being a world class organization.