Dealer Tire

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the culture here. I've seen this company grow from less than 100 people in the office to over 400. It's not easy to keep that small-company feel, but DT does a great job trying. There are a lot of people with a lot of quality industry experience in the positions that need it. Work-life balance is really good, but can vary by department. I've seen benefits come a long way from when I started. I'd say that while they may lack a little in a few areas, there are many areas that are better than the average. The company has also done a good job from promoting within.

Cons

There are some office politics and some dead weight in the company, but that is common in companies this size.

IT is getting a big head. Get them back to basics and putting their customers first. Many departments, and IT employees, are getting frustrated with some IT management.

Great culture. Great people. Great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people who work here. Everyone is friendly, accommodating, and willing to help. The work/life balance is fantastic. If events happen in your personal life, the team is always willing to accommodate your needs. DT assists employees financially in their educational pursuits which is wonderful. Managers are doing a great job focusing on individual career paths and defining goals for personal growth. The company has an open book policy - our CEO shares information with all employees on a quarterly basis and is always open for feedback. Once a year employees are encouraged to participate in a staff scan (survey). All comments written by emploees are read by the Management team and actions are taken where possible. For example, we recently changed our dress policy to be more casual based on staff scan results. HR organizes an annual health fair where employees can complete a biometric screening, get a flu shot, talk to a health coach, etc. I can go on and on about the things I love about this company. I won't be going anywhere.

Cons

The following is not necessarily a con, but something potential candidates should be aware of - DT is a fast-pace environment. And by that I mean "fast pace". The company is growing exponentially and employees must be able to adjust to changes quickly and effectively, and stay on track at all times.

Keep up the good work! If there is something I would change, it would be the physical layout - get rid of those high cubical walls to enable a transparent and collaborative working environment.

Bad Career Move

Former Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. Year end bonus was OK. Office was nice

Cons

Where to begin. Inept leaders particularly in Supply Chain. Partner in charge of Supply Chain is nothing short of evil.

Tire Centers are dangerous sweat shops where no value is placed on the employee. Was changing but, management fired or ran off all the real leaders in operations. Now there is no leadership. Check the amount of openings for this company. Pretty large and a lot have been open for a while

Sell the company out right and give the employees true value based leadership

Tale of Two Company's

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training program in place. Solid people working there, smart, and good at what they do. Nice facilities. Decent starting pay & benefits.

Cons

No such thing as a work/life balance. Ridiculous amount of administrative work to submit every month. More of that time could be spent in front of the customer. When I first joined the company in 2006 Dealer Tire had a strong commitment to work environment,company culture, and there was generally a strong passion and desire for success on an individual & company level. Employee's truly felt empowered to make decisions and strive for excellence. Company started going south when they brought in a crew of Sales Analysts who seemed to be a bunch of "cronies" who worked together previously. The amount of money you make can be directly controlled by some of the unattainable goals set for you or you'll be like some people get "cake" goals and do well financially for whatever reason for a while. If this company wants you gone they will pretty much "starve you out" and replace you with some naive greenhorn out of college and pay them a fraction of what the experienced account manager were making. Many good employees have been driven away and have never looked back. You'll also be hit with more random drug tests than if you played in the NFL if that's a concern. Glad I did!! Proceed at your own risk.

Come down from your Ivory Tower and see what's really going on in the streets. Take off the rose colored glasses your not as good as you think you are. Big deal is made about staff scans. What a joke....employee concerns are glazed over. Pick people on merit for promotions not just because they are good at "sucking up" and telling you what you want to hear. The exodus will continue and it is being noticed by the dealers of the OEM's who pay your bills.....one big one in particular.

Looking to Get Out of here ASAP

Current Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, and some nice people.

Cons

Expensive tires are driving customers away, the training and DRSG that are offered to dealers aren't all that unique anymore and doesn't justify the prices. Right Turn is a joke, and they still use Blackberry Phones (circa 2009 technology). Benefits are subpar, work life balance is a joke with tons of useless and redundant reports, and cronyism is rapant. Many outside account managers are just biding their time until they find something better.

Re examine the pay structure, forget Right Turn and offer better benefits, and streamline the ridiculous amount if reports.

Watch out! Starts great but can turn pretty quickly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Parking, the bonus is decent, interesting building layout/artwork

Cons

Certain departments are full of snakes. Watch out for Program Management - leadership is horrible and the underlings follow right along. They will back stab you at any given minute and seem to control everything. EDI - a small team of 2 people (at the time). One person was great, the other was a mess and played the martyr. It is run on JD Edwards that no one can seem to make work correctly for any length of time.

Cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Market pay, some nice people. Nice bonus program although not well structured for various employee levels.

Cons

Really cheap company. The leadership is constantly crying about the cost of health care. HR is clueless about putting together a total rewards program that aligns with the amount of work is required of "associates". Very poor benefits and rewards to employees. Directors are not a that level and there are a lot of egos. No development or career growth, there are like 10 layers if titles because there is no real career growth.

Get some real leadership in place. Wipe out the director layer and start clean with competent leaders. Quit being so cheap to your biggest assets, your "associates".

It was good at one time

Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At one time, working with a team, free parking, working with top car manufacturers

Cons

Directors have lost interest, too many egos, group silos, lack of "us"

Management seems to be done at the company, I don't think they care anymore. When Scott's divorce is up, I think you'll see even more interest loss. Listen to employees when they disagree with you, and teach where necessary.

the secret of midtown Cleveland

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time

Pros

the challenge. the pace. the results. the company wide determination and drive to win.

Cons

the pace. sure there are some issues, but those exist everywhere.

Pretty on the outside, ugly in the inside

Current Employee - Program Operations in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Program Operations in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great ideas and personal perks. They seem to want to make employees happy.

Cons

Horrible politics, backstabbing, setting people up to fail. I was absolutely shocked how they had so much going for them in terms of the right ideas, but allowed managers to abuse their staff in ways I have never seen before. Examples: undermining others achievments, witholding information, etc. And the worst part was that HR did not care to act on it after hearing multiple examples of abuses.

Take a hard look at some of the people who've been there a long time and think they are untouchable. They are poisoning what could be a great place.