Dealer Tire

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.3

Scott Mueller

Awesome Company To Work For!!

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dealer Tire is playing to win. It's a high growth company with high expectations. There is a culture of high performance and associates are rewarded for their efforts. Scott and Dean (the owners) really take care of their people!! Great place to work!!

Cons

Dealer Tire isn't perfect, but they never lose sight of the big picture. In my experience, the company always tries to do the right thing for both their customers and employees.

Greatest Place that I ever worked.

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time

Pros

Dealer Tire was one of the best things that had ever happened to me. I was there when the company was very young and finding their way. I was able to do things that most CEO's never get the opportunity to do. It was amazing to be a part of a growing company that had the values that Dealer Tire had. I have many great memories of this company and of the upper management. There was always and open door from Scott ,Dean, Mr Cahoon, Roger and Pete. But one person truly stand out and that was Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She was always there to help explain the vision of Dealer Tire. Her love for the company and those that worked there was simply inspiring. You could just see her light up when she spoke of the direction that Dealer Tire was going and where they had been. She would just gleam when she talked about how great her teams were and how they had grown through the years. She was always proud how the team was making the strides to accomplish the companies goals.She loved to see the passion in people and loved to see them succeed. I was always proud to work for Dealer Tire. The company grew extremely fast when most companies were failing. I truly believe that it would not be where it is today with out the contributions of Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She may not have ordered the tires or shipped them to the customers but her vision, mentoring and team building skills were the reason that those things happened to the highest standards. I can say with out a doubt Dealer Tire is an amazing place to work. I would not be the person I am with out this company. I am thankful that Jill the Partner Of Supply Chain was there and that she believed in her teams the way she did. Thank you Dealer Tire for all you did for me. I could write for day about all the great things but these thoughts truly stand out to me.

Cons

I truly cant think of any cons. This company has a great vision they were always family to me. Its not for all, you have to have passion and believe in the vision. It is fast passed but it can be done but you have to have a great work ethic!!.

Never stop caring for all the employees always remember what got you there and that is the from the ground to the top. Working like a family.

Solid company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the culture here. I've seen this company grow from less than 100 people in the office to over 400. It's not easy to keep that small-company feel, but DT does a great job trying. There are a lot of people with a lot of quality industry experience in the positions that need it. Work-life balance is really good, but can vary by department. I've seen benefits come a long way from when I started. I'd say that while they may lack a little in a few areas, there are many areas that are better than the average. The company has also done a good job from promoting within.

Cons

There are some office politics and some dead weight in the company, but that is common in companies this size.

IT is getting a big head. Get them back to basics and putting their customers first. Many departments, and IT employees, are getting frustrated with some IT management.

Absolutely miserable to work in Supply Chain at Dealer Tire

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast growing company. Nice corporate office. Nice profit sharing plan.

Cons

There is very poor senior leadership in the corporate supply chain department that also oversees the warehouse network in the U.S. and Canada. There is no sense of team whatsoever and absolutely no work/life balance. Every decision no matter how small or big is micromanaged through multiple levels of management like I have never seen; as a result very little gets done. Despite the consistent year end bonus people are voluntarily leaving the supply chain department (and company) at a very high rate; some within weeks of collecting their bonus and some without even having other jobs lined up. I have never seen turnover like this, ever. There is absolutely no opportunity for growth or promotion within supply chain and virtually everyone who contributed to building the warehouse and distribution network has left the building because of the toxic environment. The senior supply chain leaders have zero hands on experience managing a distribution network yet they refuse to empower those who do to make decisions. The only good ideas are those ideas that come from the partner group. If you haven't spent your life in the tire industry then you can't possibly have any good ideas. Yes the company has done well in the past because of the unique business model but competition is right on their heels and it is only a matter of time before they lose a major customer to a competitor which will send this company into a frenzy. Also, other attempts to expand the business model have failed miserably - Canada, e-commerce site, etc. I would not recommend to anyone to go work for this company, particularly in supply chain.

The warehouse network is in a very precarious state right now. It is critical to replace the senior leadership with true leaders. Leaders with warehousing and operations experience. Leaders that people want to follow. Leaders that bring out the best in their people and stimulate their minds and generate creative ideas. The current supply chain leadership lacks all of these traits.

Good Company

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and the company is growing. I like the core values and the company really supports innovation and creative solutions.

Cons

Would be great to have more flexibility in work schedule and work from home availability.

Keep the momentum going and always be investing in top technologies.

Great culture. Great people. Great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people who work here. Everyone is friendly, accommodating, and willing to help. The work/life balance is fantastic. If events happen in your personal life, the team is always willing to accommodate your needs. DT assists employees financially in their educational pursuits which is wonderful. Managers are doing a great job focusing on individual career paths and defining goals for personal growth. The company has an open book policy - our CEO shares information with all employees on a quarterly basis and is always open for feedback. Once a year employees are encouraged to participate in a staff scan (survey). All comments written by emploees are read by the Management team and actions are taken where possible. For example, we recently changed our dress policy to be more casual based on staff scan results. HR organizes an annual health fair where employees can complete a biometric screening, get a flu shot, talk to a health coach, etc. I can go on and on about the things I love about this company. I won't be going anywhere.

Cons

The following is not necessarily a con, but something potential candidates should be aware of - DT is a fast-pace environment. And by that I mean "fast pace". The company is growing exponentially and employees must be able to adjust to changes quickly and effectively, and stay on track at all times.

Keep up the good work! If there is something I would change, it would be the physical layout - get rid of those high cubical walls to enable a transparent and collaborative working environment.

Tale of Two Company's

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training program in place. Solid people working there, smart, and good at what they do. Nice facilities. Decent starting pay & benefits.

Cons

No such thing as a work/life balance. Ridiculous amount of administrative work to submit every month. More of that time could be spent in front of the customer. When I first joined the company in 2006 Dealer Tire had a strong commitment to work environment,company culture, and there was generally a strong passion and desire for success on an individual & company level. Employee's truly felt empowered to make decisions and strive for excellence. Company started going south when they brought in a crew of Sales Analysts who seemed to be a bunch of "cronies" who worked together previously. The amount of money you make can be directly controlled by some of the unattainable goals set for you or you'll be like some people get "cake" goals and do well financially for whatever reason for a while. If this company wants you gone they will pretty much "starve you out" and replace you with some naive greenhorn out of college and pay them a fraction of what the experienced account manager were making. Many good employees have been driven away and have never looked back. You'll also be hit with more random drug tests than if you played in the NFL if that's a concern. Glad I did!! Proceed at your own risk.

Come down from your Ivory Tower and see what's really going on in the streets. Take off the rose colored glasses your not as good as you think you are. Big deal is made about staff scans. What a joke....employee concerns are glazed over. Pick people on merit for promotions not just because they are good at "sucking up" and telling you what you want to hear. The exodus will continue and it is being noticed by the dealers of the OEM's who pay your bills.....one big one in particular.

Excellent

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits, great culture, good pay

Cons

I don't have any cons about this company.

Please keep growing the business and dedicated valuable training resources to your employees.

Looking to Get Out of here ASAP

Current Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, and some nice people.

Cons

Expensive tires are driving customers away, the training and DRSG that are offered to dealers aren't all that unique anymore and doesn't justify the prices. Right Turn is a joke, and they still use Blackberry Phones (circa 2009 technology). Benefits are subpar, work life balance is a joke with tons of useless and redundant reports, and cronyism is rapant. Many outside account managers are just biding their time until they find something better.

Re examine the pay structure, forget Right Turn and offer better benefits, and streamline the ridiculous amount if reports.

Going downhill

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For new professionals, very good starting pay and benefits. Offers great access to auto industry.

Cons

If you like having time for you and your family, look elsewhere. Unrealistic territory assignments ensure countless hours of drive time - which by the way is on your time as the corporate belief is that drive time is not work time. Field travelers are a salaried position, yet you are required to track and account for every minute of every day and you had better be sure you spend at least 24 hours every week inside of a dealership.

The company is in the midst of transitioning their field stuff to a new structure and the field as a whole is in mass confusion.

These items are bad, but what has really become toxic is the culture. Management doesn't value innovation or new ideas. In fact, those that offer up great solutions or new ways to do things are seen as dissenters and trouble makers. Above EVERYTHING else, management values employees who do things exactly as outlined in corporate policy handbooks and training manuals. Your sales numbers can be atrocious and your dealers dislike you, but if you hit check marks and encourage others to, you WILL be promoted.

Most middle management, therefore, are not good operators. They are good task-doers who are not suited to lead or coach anybody to do much of anything. And when it becomes clear that an employee knows more than they do, or can reach success without following every word of "the dealer tire way," they feel threatened and start trying to oust that employee.

You may think the above comment sounds crazy but consider this. Every year, Dealer Tire honors the top 6 outside sales people with their highest honor. You would think these folks would be highly prized by the company, right? If you take the winners of this prize over the past 3 years, 10 have been fired in the past 12 months. Keep in mind good sales people do things efficiently and constantly evolve their sales techniques (ie make things better). But alas, this is not valued. This company wants robots with no desire to step 1 foot outside of the line.

In order to have employees leave, the company is beginning to employ really ugly tactics. I have seen coworkers fall prey to bogus sexual harassment claims, fabricated performance reviews, firing someone 2 weeks into a promotion with the new boss saying they hadn't made an impact, illegally firing someone while on FMLA leave... Dealer Tire used to be a great place to work, but upper management can't wrap it's head around the fact it is no longer a high growth company and is grasping at straws trying to prove that it is.

Admit you are no longer a high growth company and set reasonable objectives for yourself and employees. Reduce dealer count and geography of every account manager. Admit there is more than one way to reach a goal and let your account mangers find their own way. STOP PROMOTING YES MEN and start rewarding those who actually think outside of the box.