Dealer Tire Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Dealer Tire CEO Scott Mueller
Scott Mueller

Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good training. good support personnel

Cons

Absolutely NO career path or growth opportunities.
    Limited females in leadership roles. less than 5% of ALL managers are women.

Advice to Management

Practice what your preach.

Smoke and Mirrors (And Unethical!!!) NEED TO READ THIS

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are what kept me there for 5 years. (Not management) It was very difficult leaving the company because you really develop great relationships with a lot of great people. (Again, not management)

Cons

Let me preface with this, and it is VERY IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ!!! ... I know for a FACT that there is a person in HR who has gone on this site multiple times with multiple accounts to create positive reviews for this company because the overall reviews are so bad. Again, there is a person in HR who, unethically, tries to lure good talent in under false pretenses by creating fake accounts on company review sites to skew the reviews in their favor because overall it is so poor. Basically every positive review you read for Dealer Tire is a lie, it's smoke and mirrors.

Everything that the President and CEO have done to try and make Dealer Tire a good place to work for their employees has been decimated by the partner group and the very, very poor management (VP's & Directors) team that they have invested in. Which is truly a shame because I believe that Scott and Dean Mueller are great men who are very generous but they get fed false information and are shocked every year by Staff Scan results.

If you are thinking about working for Dealer Tire and are not being hired on for a management role you will agree with this review wholeheartedly within 6 months, I guarantee it. It happens to everyone, it's not specific to one or two departments it's across the board. And I'm not even writing this review as a disgruntled employee, I left on good terms. If you do decide to give this company a shot I wish you the best of luck, just pay attention to the amount of employee turnover in your time at Dealer Tire.

And everything you've already read about the lack of career growth is absolutely true... It is non existent. Whatever role you go in there with odds are it will be the same one you leave the company with. If you have any kind of ambition and goals in life just remember to use the company the same way they use you. Get as much training, experience, and develop your skills as best you can because you will be able to use them somewhere else for a company that actually appreciates and compensates their employees.

Advice to Management

This advice is directed to Scott and Dean Mueller - You need to start fixing the problem from the TOP DOWN not from the bottom up... (Although I guess I can't blame you if you continue to make money hand over fist every year...) You will continue to see poor results on staff scans with your current Partner group, VP's and Directors that are in place. I truly don't think you are driven by greed and the almighty dollar however if you don't do this than I am clearly wrong. I know that when you started out you both had a great idea for how you wanted your company to be, unfortunately over the years it has warped into a life draining force that drives people to misery and hating coming into work everyday.

3. Inside Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire (Less than a year)

Pros

Family run and growing company with great core values

Cons

I do not have any cons to report

5. Solid company - focused on its employees - making improvements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Dealer Tire for over 6 years and have experienced them making consistent efforts towards dedication and commitment to their employees. There is a very strong focus on training, recognition and benefits programs that support growth and retention. While many companies were laying off employees, we were still hiring. While many had pay freezes, we were sharing the gain in profit sharing bonuses. This company constantly looks at ways to attract and retain employees through surveys of its employees (engagement and satisfaction surveys). They evolve their benefits programs to stay competitive. They paid a longevity bonus right before last Christmas last year that was entirely unexpected and graciously accepted by all. Does Dealer Tire offer EVERYTHING that other companies do? Of course not. But they do care about their employees and they have a strong commitment to doing what is right for them.

Cons

Pace is very fast - can oftentimes be overwhelming. If you like to work, and be recognized for your hard work, this is the environment for you.

Advice to Management

Be as open minded as possible when considering alternate work arrangements (telecommuting, office sharing) - trust your employees to work hard for you because they want to!

SQL Server DBA

Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment, bonuses, constantly learning new technologies

Cons

Work too many hours, no family life, no growth opportunities

7. Supply Chain

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements
    Company vision and upper-level leadership

Cons

Company as a whole is great, but individual departments can be very cliquey.
    Management has obvious favorites, and if you're not one of them, good luck.
    Just a warm body to do tasks
    On paper, we value input from everyone, but in practice, nobody wants my opinion
    No opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Show your employees some respect (and not just when you need something done), and morale will be much improved! You hired me to do a job - let me do it instead of telling me how.

Not sure what happened

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Above average entry level pay FTS position
    -Good opportunity for advancement for young sales professionals who drive results.
    -Company Car
    -Good Corporate Culture
    -Open Door Policy with most managers

Cons

-Low pay - sales goals are obtainable however their goal and commission structure limits top performers and are outdated
    -High Level of bureaucracy especially in Sales (your worth is based on a managers assessment who will rarely coach you or ride along with you) in addition the organization will use a personality index assessment to determine if you are a good fit for advancement.
    - Sales is unappreciative of Sales departments efforts in the field- last year was the companies best year in the face of restructuring, the owners have everyone in the organization a very generous bonus check however Sales Management Made 2014 seem like the world was ending.
    -Promotions are typically based upon favoritism and perception, not knowledge experience and who is best for the job.
    - Major gap from sales and other departments, everyone is in their own silos

Advice to Management

-Time to really appreciate your associates and not just acting like you do.
    -Set up a national and regional account manager positions that manage our national and regional
    OE relationships, the DSMs can't manage both their people and the regional relationships, in addition program management doesn't know what it takes to grow the business.
    -Your Regional Sales Director personnel needs addressed , they provide no coaching support or value to those beneath them and in many cases deteriorate relationships when they do ride along with their associates.
    -Pay your people what they are worth before they leave.
    -The sales process has changed we are longer getting dealers into the tire business, we are growing their business and putting processes in place to improve their performance- this is no longer a fast sale and the pay structure needs to reflect YOY growth. Let's face it goal allocation has always been a topic of concern, just eliminate them.
    - restructure and provide clarity on what the Account Manager role is responsible for. We have tried to make the job more involved than it is, coach your AMs on what it takes to grow sales at the dealerships through field ops ride alongs and tire store ride alongs because very few of them know how.

9. Great company culture

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Dealer Tire

Pros

Great company culture and forward thinking.

Cons

Pay below industry standards in automotive after sales

Salary below average, unrealistic sales goals. Out of touch upper managment with unrealistic expectations.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset. Lots of industry experience. The benefits and vacation time are pretty standard for the indystry.

Cons

Company sales goal are always double digit year over year. Managment controls your bonus not you and your efforts.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to what your employees are telling you. Perhaps if you listen to what they're saying you wont get body slammed like you did in the Staff Scan this year. It was no shock to the majority of account managers the Staff Scan took a big hit. The results were much worse than upper managment could have expected. It was the ONLY WAY the account managers could get your attention and I expect it will have to happen again.

Dealer Tire Response

Apr 16, 2015The Executive Team at Dealer Tire

We thank you for your thoughtful review and for sharing your perspective on our Sales goals and Staff Scan (employee engagement survey). We take your point of view seriously as well as the feedback ... More

Middle management is ruining it for everyone....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire

Pros

The partner's are great, benefits and pay are competitive and the company profit sharing is amazing. Most of the people that you work with are also genuine, smart and friendly.

Cons

The partner's vision and principle's are being mashed, destroyed and perverted by middle managers. There is way to much insecurity, distrust, backstabbing at the director, VP and senior management levels. They have no clue how to train and develop good employees and are watching as they flee the company. They are so afraid of someone finding out their shortcomings or of smarter employees taking their jobs that they chase talent away. This is not in every department, but there are at least two that are being decimated by bad management. I have never worked with such terrible management in my entire career. Inept and malicious in some cases, it is sad to see them destructively killing the friendly and rewarding culture Dealer Tire once had.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at departments with high turnover...and then look directly at the management of those departments. Those are the people that are slowly dismantling your company. A change is need to get back to the culture that you so highly prize and back to the good company and culture that was in place about three years ago.

Dealer Tire Response

Mar 30, 2015The Executive Team at Dealer Tire

Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful review. We agree that we have genuine and smart associates at Dealer Tire! We appreciate your perspective on the execution of our vision. As we ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed