Dealer Tire

Add Photos

Scott Mueller

Challenging fast paced environment

I worked at Dealer Tire

ProsExcellent Bonus program and profit sharing. Provided outstanding training for mngt principles for leadership.

ConsNeeded more on hands training for the business side of managing such a time based delivery environment. Modernization wasn't happening fast enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the bonus program, concentrate on modernization and training on daily operations vs management principles.

Depends on what you are looking for...

Outside Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor those fresh out of college: very competitive pay, company car, great exposure to industry insights, an accumulation of great contacts and automotive knowledge that can transfer into other endeavors.
For those with experience: Increased industry knowledge (job allows access to people and businesses that are a virtual fountain of knowledge from which to learn), not much else

ConsStarting salary for those with no experience is actually good. Salary+bonus for field staff is hit an miss. You can make an absolute ton if your market is in good shape. You will make far less than industry average if your market is in a location experiencing economic hardship or anything less than growth. Objectives are often based on factors out of an account manager's control and on what management WANTS a market to do.

Middle management are mainly (there are few exceptions) there to make a name for themselves: they don't manage, they don't teach, they are only there to show who is boss and how many "check boxes" they can mark off. Many middle managers are promoted to that position not by acumen or performance, but how well they kiss up and adhere to towing the party line. As a result, completion of minor, menial, and non-value added tasks are valued over good relationships at dealerships and sales numbers. National sales directors, however, do not fall into this category.

Extremely tedious, time-consuming, and little value added contact reports required daily. Recording what you did is important, but the amount of detail and time required is obscene. Ostensibly promoted as a way for the carline you represent to keep current on what is going on at dealerships, except that nobody ever reads them. As a result, most field managers don't put in completely accurate information.

50-60 hours each week is standard (not counting travel time) although you're not allowed to officially log more than 40 hours. Travel time is on your own time. So, if your closest dealer is 3 hours away, that 3 hours does not count as work. Key metrics are a one size fits all requirement so it makes some territories extremely easy to hit and some territories it is unreasonably difficult.

Huge amount of pressure to excel with sales objectives, but very little of performance reviews is based on sales. You can be one of the worst sales performers in the country and set the curve for performance review scores or be one of the top sales performers in the country and score obscenely low. Also, little consistency with how rules are enforced or how performance is measured manager to manager. I personally know somebody who was fired for failing to do a certain minor regular task twice who lived on one coast, and another in the exact same position on the other coast NEVER did the same required task and was promoted as one of the best employees in the company. Both are friends of mine.

I said it before, but I'll reinforce: sales performance is valued from a dollars and cents perspective, but not from a career advancement perspective. The only thing valued in that respect is "checking the boxes" and never coloring outside of the line. Top management "knows best" and regardless of them stating that they have an "open book" policy and they need employees feedback, the only feedback they don't shoot down is the feedback they want to hear. You don't need to be talented (it helps, but not needed) to be promoted. So whereas managers in most companies help to develop employees, at Dealer Tire, you're better off not relying on your manager for much of anything in the way of personal development.

Unless you want a much larger geographic territory or want to move to Cleveland, there is little in the way of career advancement.

Work/life balance doesn't exist for field travelers and management doesn't care although they pretend to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is no longer a high growth company. For the sake of your employees, please stop believing that it is. Yes DT is growing and will continue to, but the only thing that allowed the huge growth you've experienced is adding automakers to the portfolio and we know that faucet is shut off. Your growth now is incremental. Stop forecasting and basing objectives on high double digit growth or you will continue to lose good people.

Good company, average benefits, very relaxed work schedule in the field, middle management is directionless.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay can be good but "hitting your number" can be tricky due to the lack of logic behind it.

Once you get settled into your territory 30-40 hour work weeks are the norm if your territory doesn't cover multiple states.

You gain a lot of great skills and industry knowledge that are easily transferable to other jobs at different companies.

Some positions allow you to travel the country and the food per diem is above the industry standard.

The CEO is intelligent and very accessible to talk to.

ConsTraveling constantly can be tedious as many territories cover multiple states leaving you spending many nights in hotels.

Many good employees in the field have left due to middle management not promoting employees from within. Many of the top sales people left the company in Q4 of 2013.

Lack of opportunities within the company outside of sales.

Constant documentation and business plans that dealers don't care about but OEM's do.

Scope creep with middle management and where company is headed. They say we are a partner with the OEM when in fact we are the preferred vendor. We stress the value of our programs while charging exorbitant prices for tires.

Spent lots of $$$$ on Right Turn in 2 markets which has essentially come to a halt.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn an industry that is heading more towards the direction of digital; go towards digital. Stop relying on people to "diagnose" and "fill gaps" in dealer processes it leads to ephemeral results.

Simple key word searches and SEO can just as easily increase tire sales as sending a person into the dealership for a week to train employees and "diagnose" internal process gaps.

Promote from within or many of your best employees will start leaving once the economy starts turning around.

It was one of my best jobs

Planning Manager (Former Employee)
Hayward, CA

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCommitment to Quality and a great company to work for

ConsWork hours for management was very long but great

Advice to Senior ManagementJim Rashad

It was good at one time

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt one time, working with a team, free parking, working with top car manufacturers

ConsDirectors have lost interest, too many egos, group silos, lack of "us"

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems to be done at the company, I don't think they care anymore. When Scott's divorce is up, I think you'll see even more interest loss. Listen to employees when they disagree with you, and teach where necessary.

the secret of midtown Cleveland

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time

Prosthe challenge. the pace. the results. the company wide determination and drive to win.

Consthe pace. sure there are some issues, but those exist everywhere.

Just don't count on HR and stay away from Accounting Area and you will be ok.

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time

ProsVery busy thriving atmosphere. Growing company with solid customer base. Some areas of the company are very collaborative and supportive. Partners are visible and engaged with developing the company strategy. Benefits seem competitive.

ConsDirectors are out of touch or don't know how to communicate the strategy down from the Partners. They do not exhibit the guiding principles instead they use them when it is convenient for them.
In Accounting/Finance the guiding principles and "development" plans are used as a bullying tactic with HR's backing. There is a bottleneck at the Controller position because she doesn't trust anyone to help and has blinders on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your going to have guiding principles then the partners have to hold the Directors just as accountable at the rest of the company.

Pretty on the outside, ugly in the inside

Program Operations (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat ideas and personal perks. They seem to want to make employees happy.

ConsHorrible politics, backstabbing, setting people up to fail. I was absolutely shocked how they had so much going for them in terms of the right ideas, but allowed managers to abuse their staff in ways I have never seen before. Examples: undermining others achievments, witholding information, etc. And the worst part was that HR did not care to act on it after hearing multiple examples of abuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at some of the people who've been there a long time and think they are untouchable. They are poisoning what could be a great place.

if you've been there 10 years, you probably love it. Otherwise, not so much!

I worked at Dealer Tire

Prosgrowing company
free parking
nice work environment/office space

Conspeople who have been there from the beginning aren't that willing to teach the newbies the tricks of the trade and the business and applicaitons, especially the JDEdwards system.

Be Very Careful

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer Tire

ProsDealer Tire does offer good health benefits. If you work in the Cleveland HQ you have career growth training & the ability to attend Case Western classes. If you work in the field you're very limited. You get a company car, Toyota/Nissan/Ford, computer, cell phone (Blackberry), AMEX account.

ConsWhere do I start...changing monthly objectives, a methodology to compute monthly objectives that would make your head spin; work/life balance? NO, you'll probably be assigned a territory where your closest dealer may be 2 hours away; Micro-Managing? YES, YES, YES! The amount of reports is ridiculous, some of them don't even ask the right question(s) when you're assessing the dealer; Unique Program? - NOT ANY MORE.

The program is stale and needs to be refreshed. They're handing their hats on a future consumer facing website. That may be very successful but what do the Acct Mgrs get out of it?

Also depending on the client you rep for you may be asked/required to promote products that you will not be paid on. When sales levels are not hitting targets for those products you'll be the one to hear about it both from upper mgt & from the mfg FOM's. Some mfg FOM's are very engaged but most are not. You're the funny uncle/aunt no one wants to invite to the party. That's the most frustrating part. You're an 'Alliance Partner' but it's pretty much one way..dead end.

Management & those you work with in Cleveland are very thin skinned. Why are they working in this industry? With dealers?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe basic premise of the program is good but the smoke & mirror reporting to the mfg.'s is going to catch up. Stop over-promising & under delivering.

Worked for Dealer Tire? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dealer Tire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dealer Tire CEO Scott Mueller. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Dealer Tire employees.