Dealer Tire

Updated February 9, 2015
Updated February 9, 2015
2.8

Scott Mueller

Awesome Company To Work For!!

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dealer Tire is playing to win. It's a high growth company with high expectations. There is a culture of high performance and associates are rewarded for their efforts. Scott and Dean (the owners) really take care of their people!! Great place to work!!

Cons

Dealer Tire isn't perfect, but they never lose sight of the big picture. In my experience, the company always tries to do the right thing for both their customers and employees.

Middle management is ruining it for everyone....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire

Pros

The partner's are great, benefits and pay are competitive and the company profit sharing is amazing. Most of the people that you work with are also genuine, smart and friendly.

Cons

The partner's vision and principle's are being mashed, destroyed and perverted by middle managers. There is way to much insecurity, distrust, backstabbing at the director, VP and senior management levels. They have no clue how to train and develop good employees and are watching as they flee the company. They are so afraid of someone finding out their shortcomings or of smarter employees taking their jobs that they chase talent away. This is not in every department, but there are at least two that are being decimated by bad management. I have never worked with such terrible management in my entire career. Inept and malicious in some cases, it is sad to see them destructively killing the friendly and rewarding culture Dealer Tire once had.

Take a hard look at departments with high turnover...and then look directly at the management of those departments. Those are the people that are slowly dismantling your company. A change is need to get back to the culture that you so highly prize and back to the good company and culture that was in place about three years ago.

Greatest Place that I ever worked.

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time

Pros

Dealer Tire was one of the best things that had ever happened to me. I was there when the company was very young and finding their way. I was able to do things that most CEO's never get the opportunity to do. It was amazing to be a part of a growing company that had the values that Dealer Tire had. I have many great memories of this company and of the upper management. There was always and open door from Scott ,Dean, Mr Cahoon, Roger and Pete. But one person truly stand out and that was Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She was always there to help explain the vision of Dealer Tire. Her love for the company and those that worked there was simply inspiring. You could just see her light up when she spoke of the direction that Dealer Tire was going and where they had been. She would just gleam when she talked about how great her teams were and how they had grown through the years. She was always proud how the team was making the strides to accomplish the companies goals.She loved to see the passion in people and loved to see them succeed. I was always proud to work for Dealer Tire. The company grew extremely fast when most companies were failing. I truly believe that it would not be where it is today with out the contributions of Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She may not have ordered the tires or shipped them to the customers but her vision, mentoring and team building skills were the reason that those things happened to the highest standards. I can say with out a doubt Dealer Tire is an amazing place to work. I would not be the person I am with out this company. I am thankful that Jill the Partner Of Supply Chain was there and that she believed in her teams the way she did. Thank you Dealer Tire for all you did for me. I could write for day about all the great things but these thoughts truly stand out to me.

Cons

I truly cant think of any cons. This company has a great vision they were always family to me. Its not for all, you have to have passion and believe in the vision. It is fast passed but it can be done but you have to have a great work ethic!!.

Never stop caring for all the employees always remember what got you there and that is the from the ground to the top. Working like a family.

Micro-managed to death

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, monthly commissions, insurance benefits

Cons

Micro-manged, lots and lots of daily reporting, sales goals fluctuate, arrogance of management

Sales will dictate if an account manager is doing their job, not pulling micro-managed reports to see who is seen and how often at specific dealerships. This company acts like every GM at every dealership has tire sales at the top of his list. They don't! I had 45 dealers in my territory and because 16 of the accounts didn't have a "GM" visit in their long, detailed and ridiculous daily sales report, I was let go. This, after I had given them 3 straight years of hitting 100% of their prideful and ridiculous sales goals. I remember management panicking just 3 weeks into the 2014 when sales were lagging. Every account manager had to write a summary of why and what you were doing to correct the issue. Total panic! It was embarrassing to see management freak out like the sky was falling. In reality, we were 15% ahead of the same time last year, but they never gauge it from prior year. It's all about the current year and what unrealistic goals they set and where you are to that specific number. And here's the best part.....they don't tell you at the beginning of the year what you have to hit. Example; if you did $1MM dollars in sales for 2014 and the company decides that in 2015 they want to grow another 20% (which is way above the industry standard). You may need to hit anywhere from 10% to 30%. They never tell you what your yearly goal is. They will give you goals by quarter only. How does a company that decides they need to grow by a certain margin never divide that out by account manager? They make it up depending what you do. The best account managers had to fight to get fair numbers because if you start hitting you sales goal, they will change it the next quarter to put the carrot out of reach. Totally adjusting what they have to pay you in commissions. It's their way of controlling your salary and what you make overall. Trust me, the base pay is below average for this type of position. What makes it worse is the arrogance they have claiming to be fair and playing to win,,,blah, blah, blah. It's happens to everyone there all the time, just read the other reviews. Depending what dealership group you have, the daily reporting is overwhelming. Imagine having to write a complete synopsis on every activity, on every product sold, and who you spoke with. It's totally ridiculous and serves no purpose other than micro managing you. Most sales organizations require this only from employees struggling or not being at 100%. Dealer Tire requires this from everyone, every-time, daily! You could be a sales professional that delivers over 100% results to the high goal number they give you. But you better believe they will fire anyone who doesn't see a GM at every dealer you have. I learned that the hard way. I'm just glad after I left my sales territory I heard the new account manager (who was a field trainer) wasn't near the account manager I was and sales suffered and the dealers complained. I laughed my a** off when I heard that. Serves them right in my opinion. You've been warned.....

Solid company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the culture here. I've seen this company grow from less than 100 people in the office to over 400. It's not easy to keep that small-company feel, but DT does a great job trying. There are a lot of people with a lot of quality industry experience in the positions that need it. Work-life balance is really good, but can vary by department. I've seen benefits come a long way from when I started. I'd say that while they may lack a little in a few areas, there are many areas that are better than the average. The company has also done a good job from promoting within.

Cons

There are some office politics and some dead weight in the company, but that is common in companies this size.

IT is getting a big head. Get them back to basics and putting their customers first. Many departments, and IT employees, are getting frustrated with some IT management.

Absolutely miserable to work in Supply Chain at Dealer Tire

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast growing company. Nice corporate office. Nice profit sharing plan.

Cons

There is very poor senior leadership in the corporate supply chain department that also oversees the warehouse network in the U.S. and Canada. There is no sense of team whatsoever and absolutely no work/life balance. Every decision no matter how small or big is micromanaged through multiple levels of management like I have never seen; as a result very little gets done. Despite the consistent year end bonus people are voluntarily leaving the supply chain department (and company) at a very high rate; some within weeks of collecting their bonus and some without even having other jobs lined up. I have never seen turnover like this, ever. There is absolutely no opportunity for growth or promotion within supply chain and virtually everyone who contributed to building the warehouse and distribution network has left the building because of the toxic environment. The senior supply chain leaders have zero hands on experience managing a distribution network yet they refuse to empower those who do to make decisions. The only good ideas are those ideas that come from the partner group. If you haven't spent your life in the tire industry then you can't possibly have any good ideas. Yes the company has done well in the past because of the unique business model but competition is right on their heels and it is only a matter of time before they lose a major customer to a competitor which will send this company into a frenzy. Also, other attempts to expand the business model have failed miserably - Canada, e-commerce site, etc. I would not recommend to anyone to go work for this company, particularly in supply chain.

The warehouse network is in a very precarious state right now. It is critical to replace the senior leadership with true leaders. Leaders with warehousing and operations experience. Leaders that people want to follow. Leaders that bring out the best in their people and stimulate their minds and generate creative ideas. The current supply chain leadership lacks all of these traits.

Don't Believe the positive reviews!!!!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Liaison in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Liaison in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire

Pros

The pay is decent. Consistent profit sharting

Cons

Where do I begin? I find it amusing that there are any positive reviews on this company. They seem very contrived and artificial don't they? don't believe a word of them. If you work for this company you are largely committing career suicide!

There is no leadership here particularly in Supply Chain. Here is a good question to ask if you are considering working for this company, ask to see the results of the latest "Staff Scan" for supply chain and see what they say? Staff Scan is their annual employee survey. Ask to see it. This is a simple request and will give you an idea of how things really are. Another good question to ask is to have a look at the turnover data for the company in supply chain. Finally, ask HR to tell you how many direct reports of the Partner in charge of Supply Chain have been let go for seemingly no reason in the last 5 years?

These are all questions you should be asking and will allow you to filter out whatever you see posted on this site or any other.

it is obvious that management has been clued into the negative posts on this site regarding the company. Any new hire needs to look at what I have outlined and make their own choice. Data does not lie and the facts are the facts. You have a unique business model that has yet to be copied. However, at some point, the jig is up and the fall is going to be long and hard. You have had a good run but, at some point, the true issues are going to become so widely know that you will not be able to attract any quality employees

Good Company

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and the company is growing. I like the core values and the company really supports innovation and creative solutions.

Cons

Would be great to have more flexibility in work schedule and work from home availability.

Keep the momentum going and always be investing in top technologies.

Great culture. Great people. Great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people who work here. Everyone is friendly, accommodating, and willing to help. The work/life balance is fantastic. If events happen in your personal life, the team is always willing to accommodate your needs. DT assists employees financially in their educational pursuits which is wonderful. Managers are doing a great job focusing on individual career paths and defining goals for personal growth. The company has an open book policy - our CEO shares information with all employees on a quarterly basis and is always open for feedback. Once a year employees are encouraged to participate in a staff scan (survey). All comments written by emploees are read by the Management team and actions are taken where possible. For example, we recently changed our dress policy to be more casual based on staff scan results. HR organizes an annual health fair where employees can complete a biometric screening, get a flu shot, talk to a health coach, etc. I can go on and on about the things I love about this company. I won't be going anywhere.

Cons

The following is not necessarily a con, but something potential candidates should be aware of - DT is a fast-pace environment. And by that I mean "fast pace". The company is growing exponentially and employees must be able to adjust to changes quickly and effectively, and stay on track at all times.

Keep up the good work! If there is something I would change, it would be the physical layout - get rid of those high cubical walls to enable a transparent and collaborative working environment.

Tale of Two Company's

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training program in place. Solid people working there, smart, and good at what they do. Nice facilities. Decent starting pay & benefits.

Cons

No such thing as a work/life balance. Ridiculous amount of administrative work to submit every month. More of that time could be spent in front of the customer. When I first joined the company in 2006 Dealer Tire had a strong commitment to work environment,company culture, and there was generally a strong passion and desire for success on an individual & company level. Employee's truly felt empowered to make decisions and strive for excellence. Company started going south when they brought in a crew of Sales Analysts who seemed to be a bunch of "cronies" who worked together previously. The amount of money you make can be directly controlled by some of the unattainable goals set for you or you'll be like some people get "cake" goals and do well financially for whatever reason for a while. If this company wants you gone they will pretty much "starve you out" and replace you with some naive greenhorn out of college and pay them a fraction of what the experienced account manager were making. Many good employees have been driven away and have never looked back. You'll also be hit with more random drug tests than if you played in the NFL if that's a concern. Glad I did!! Proceed at your own risk.

Come down from your Ivory Tower and see what's really going on in the streets. Take off the rose colored glasses your not as good as you think you are. Big deal is made about staff scans. What a joke....employee concerns are glazed over. Pick people on merit for promotions not just because they are good at "sucking up" and telling you what you want to hear. The exodus will continue and it is being noticed by the dealers of the OEM's who pay your bills.....one big one in particular.