Dealer Tire Reviews

Scott Mueller

SQL Server DBA

Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment, bonuses, constantly learning new technologies

Cons

Work too many hours, no family life, no growth opportunities

2. Supply Chain

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements
    Company vision and upper-level leadership

Cons

Company as a whole is great, but individual departments can be very cliquey.
    Management has obvious favorites, and if you're not one of them, good luck.
    Just a warm body to do tasks
    On paper, we value input from everyone, but in practice, nobody wants my opinion
    No opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Show your employees some respect (and not just when you need something done), and morale will be much improved! You hired me to do a job - let me do it instead of telling me how.

3. Great company culture

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Dealer Tire

Pros

Great company culture and forward thinking.

Cons

Pay below industry standards in automotive after sales

5. Not sure what happened

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Above average entry level pay FTS position
    -Good opportunity for advancement for young sales professionals who drive results.
    -Company Car
    -Good Corporate Culture
    -Open Door Policy with most managers

Cons

-Low pay - sales goals are obtainable however their goal and commission structure limits top performers and are outdated
    -High Level of bureaucracy especially in Sales (your worth is based on a managers assessment who will rarely coach you or ride along with you) in addition the organization will use a personality index assessment to determine if you are a good fit for advancement.
    - Sales is unappreciative of Sales departments efforts in the field- last year was the companies best year in the face of restructuring, the owners have everyone in the organization a very generous bonus check however Sales Management Made 2014 seem like the world was ending.
    -Promotions are typically based upon favoritism and perception, not knowledge experience and who is best for the job.
    - Major gap from sales and other departments, everyone is in their own silos

Advice to Management

-Time to really appreciate your associates and not just acting like you do.
    -Set up a national and regional account manager positions that manage our national and regional
    OE relationships, the DSMs can't manage both their people and the regional relationships, in addition program management doesn't know what it takes to grow the business.
    -Your Regional Sales Director personnel needs addressed , they provide no coaching support or value to those beneath them and in many cases deteriorate relationships when they do ride along with their associates.
    -Pay your people what they are worth before they leave.
    -The sales process has changed we are longer getting dealers into the tire business, we are growing their business and putting processes in place to improve their performance- this is no longer a fast sale and the pay structure needs to reflect YOY growth. Let's face it goal allocation has always been a topic of concern, just eliminate them.
    - restructure and provide clarity on what the Account Manager role is responsible for. We have tried to make the job more involved than it is, coach your AMs on what it takes to grow sales at the dealerships through field ops ride alongs and tire store ride alongs because very few of them know how.

Salary below average, unrealistic sales goals. Out of touch upper managment with unrealistic expectations.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset. Lots of industry experience. The benefits and vacation time are pretty standard for the indystry.

Cons

Company sales goal are always double digit year over year. Managment controls your bonus not you and your efforts.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to what your employees are telling you. Perhaps if you listen to what they're saying you wont get body slammed like you did in the Staff Scan this year. It was no shock to the majority of account managers the Staff Scan took a big hit. The results were much worse than upper managment could have expected. It was the ONLY WAY the account managers could get your attention and I expect it will have to happen again.

Apr 16, 2015The Executive Team at Dealer Tire

We thank you for your thoughtful review and for sharing your perspective on our Sales goals and Staff Scan (employee engagement survey). We take your point of view seriously as well as the feedback ... More

Middle management is ruining it for everyone....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dealer Tire

Pros

The partner's are great, benefits and pay are competitive and the company profit sharing is amazing. Most of the people that you work with are also genuine, smart and friendly.

Cons

The partner's vision and principle's are being mashed, destroyed and perverted by middle managers. There is way to much insecurity, distrust, backstabbing at the director, VP and senior management levels. They have no clue how to train and develop good employees and are watching as they flee the company. They are so afraid of someone finding out their shortcomings or of smarter employees taking their jobs that they chase talent away. This is not in every department, but there are at least two that are being decimated by bad management. I have never worked with such terrible management in my entire career. Inept and malicious in some cases, it is sad to see them destructively killing the friendly and rewarding culture Dealer Tire once had.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at departments with high turnover...and then look directly at the management of those departments. Those are the people that are slowly dismantling your company. A change is need to get back to the culture that you so highly prize and back to the good company and culture that was in place about three years ago.

Mar 30, 2015The Executive Team at Dealer Tire

Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful review. We agree that we have genuine and smart associates at Dealer Tire! We appreciate your perspective on the execution of our vision. As we ... More

8. Awesome Company To Work For!!

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dealer Tire is playing to win. It's a high growth company with high expectations. There is a culture of high performance and associates are rewarded for their efforts. Scott and Dean (the owners) really take care of their people!! Great place to work!!

Cons

Dealer Tire isn't perfect, but they never lose sight of the big picture. In my experience, the company always tries to do the right thing for both their customers and employees.

Mar 30, 2015The Executive Team at Dealer Tire

We thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful review. We have worked hard to provide a culture of high performance and shared rewards. We are ever-evolving in this competitive market and ... More

9. Greatest Place that I ever worked.

I have been working at Dealer Tire full-time

Pros

Dealer Tire was one of the best things that had ever happened to me. I was there when the company was very young and finding their way. I was able to do things that most CEO's never get the opportunity to do. It was amazing to be a part of a growing company that had the values that Dealer Tire had. I have many great memories of this company and of the upper management. There was always and open door from Scott ,Dean, Mr Cahoon, Roger and Pete. But one person truly stand out and that was Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She was always there to help explain the vision of Dealer Tire. Her love for the company and those that worked there was simply inspiring. You could just see her light up when she spoke of the direction that Dealer Tire was going and where they had been. She would just gleam when she talked about how great her teams were and how they had grown through the years. She was always proud how the team was making the strides to accomplish the companies goals.She loved to see the passion in people and loved to see them succeed. I was always proud to work for Dealer Tire. The company grew extremely fast when most companies were failing. I truly believe that it would not be where it is today with out the contributions of Jill the Partner of Supply Chain. She may not have ordered the tires or shipped them to the customers but her vision, mentoring and team building skills were the reason that those things happened to the highest standards. I can say with out a doubt Dealer Tire is an amazing place to work. I would not be the person I am with out this company. I am thankful that Jill the Partner Of Supply Chain was there and that she believed in her teams the way she did. Thank you Dealer Tire for all you did for me. I could write for day about all the great things but these thoughts truly stand out to me.

Cons

I truly cant think of any cons. This company has a great vision they were always family to me. Its not for all, you have to have passion and believe in the vision. It is fast passed but it can be done but you have to have a great work ethic!!.

Advice to Management

Never stop caring for all the employees always remember what got you there and that is the from the ground to the top. Working like a family.

Micro-managed to death

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Dealer Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, monthly commissions, insurance benefits

Cons

Micro-manged, lots and lots of daily reporting, sales goals fluctuate, arrogance of management

Advice to Management

Sales will dictate if an account manager is doing their job, not pulling micro-managed reports to see who is seen and how often at specific dealerships. This company acts like every GM at every dealership has tire sales at the top of his list. They don't! I had 45 dealers in my territory and because 16 of the accounts didn't have a "GM" visit in their long, detailed and ridiculous daily sales report, I was let go. This, after I had given them 3 straight years of hitting 100% of their prideful and ridiculous sales goals. I remember management panicking just 3 weeks into the 2014 when sales were lagging. Every account manager had to write a summary of why and what you were doing to correct the issue. Total panic! It was embarrassing to see management freak out like the sky was falling. In reality, we were 15% ahead of the same time last year, but they never gauge it from prior year. It's all about the current year and what unrealistic goals they set and where you are to that specific number. And here's the best part.....they don't tell you at the beginning of the year what you have to hit. Example; if you did $1MM dollars in sales for 2014 and the company decides that in 2015 they want to grow another 20% (which is way above the industry standard). You may need to hit anywhere from 10% to 30%. They never tell you what your yearly goal is. They will give you goals by quarter only. How does a company that decides they need to grow by a certain margin never divide that out by account manager? They make it up depending what you do. The best account managers had to fight to get fair numbers because if you start hitting you sales goal, they will change it the next quarter to put the carrot out of reach. Totally adjusting what they have to pay you in commissions. It's their way of controlling your salary and what you make overall. Trust me, the base pay is below average for this type of position. What makes it worse is the arrogance they have claiming to be fair and playing to win,,,blah, blah, blah. It's happens to everyone there all the time, just read the other reviews. Depending what dealership group you have, the daily reporting is overwhelming. Imagine having to write a complete synopsis on every activity, on every product sold, and who you spoke with. It's totally ridiculous and serves no purpose other than micro managing you. Most sales organizations require this only from employees struggling or not being at 100%. Dealer Tire requires this from everyone, every-time, daily! You could be a sales professional that delivers over 100% results to the high goal number they give you. But you better believe they will fire anyone who doesn't see a GM at every dealer you have. I learned that the hard way. I'm just glad after I left my sales territory I heard the new account manager (who was a field trainer) wasn't near the account manager I was and sales suffered and the dealers complained. I laughed my a** off when I heard that. Serves them right in my opinion. You've been warned.....

Don't Believe the positive reviews!!!!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Liaison in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Liaison in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dealer Tire

Pros

The pay is decent. Consistent profit sharting

Cons

Where do I begin? I find it amusing that there are any positive reviews on this company. They seem very contrived and artificial don't they? don't believe a word of them. If you work for this company you are largely committing career suicide!

There is no leadership here particularly in Supply Chain. Here is a good question to ask if you are considering working for this company, ask to see the results of the latest "Staff Scan" for supply chain and see what they say? Staff Scan is their annual employee survey. Ask to see it. This is a simple request and will give you an idea of how things really are. Another good question to ask is to have a look at the turnover data for the company in supply chain. Finally, ask HR to tell you how many direct reports of the Partner in charge of Supply Chain have been let go for seemingly no reason in the last 5 years?

These are all questions you should be asking and will allow you to filter out whatever you see posted on this site or any other.

Advice to Management

it is obvious that management has been clued into the negative posts on this site regarding the company. Any new hire needs to look at what I have outlined and make their own choice. Data does not lie and the facts are the facts. You have a unique business model that has yet to be copied. However, at some point, the jig is up and the fall is going to be long and hard. You have had a good run but, at some point, the true issues are going to become so widely know that you will not be able to attract any quality employees