Dealer.com
www.dealer.com Burlington, VT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Dealer.com Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros:
  • "com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Smart people, great benefits, cool parties and great building"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The senior management commented "if you need training you're the wrong person for the job""
    in 3 reviews
  • "Talented people leave, shrinking the talent pool"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst company I've worked for, but the best at selling themselves to the public

Client Solutions Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe cafe, gym and ski passes are great. Many of the 'workers' are nice.

Cons-The pay is low. About 35% lower than it should be if they want to attract and RETAIN good employees.
-If you have suggestions, ideas or would like to improve process/service, management states, that you're whining. Since when is that an open-minding working environment?
-Lack of parking
-The favoritism is disgusting. You don]t need a degree or a good work ethic to move up
-The horrible buggy products. They want to develop fast and then sell, sell, sell. DDC is all about reaction rather than being proactive
-Management is horrible. There are no standards. They don't follow legal or other policies
-Working at DDC is like being in high school and management looks to control their workers, rather then empower or praise. I think they forget we are not robots working hard, just to make them look good.
-As you walk down the hallways, people don't smile, wave or say hi to one another. It's like we are all strangers, unless there is alcohol involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to get rid of the dead weight. The middle managers, mentors, trainers and other staff that once they get to those positions, they work less, socialize more and and do not contribute to the bottom line. They just cost the Dealer.com a lot of money and they distract the 'workers' from working.

Incredible

Contract Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)
Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDealer.com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about. It's fast paced yet efficient. The leaders have a great foresight into what the next phase is and how to prepare for it. Emphasis on health, exercise, competition and collaboration. Work hard - play hard for sure.

ConsAs with most growing companies there is crowding and career advancement issues as they work to find and retain better talent. Not big on relocating people up to Burlington so you either have to be from there or have reason to be. Better like the cold too.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop internal growth opportunities for employees who are in Technical services roles.
Other than that - you're doing great.

Fast growing and rewarding company with a bright future.

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEngaged and smart co-workers, fast-paced environment, ability to make a real impact on business results, leading edge products.

ConsChange comes quickly, salaries are not the highest in the industry, some growing pains related to transition from an immature to a mature company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify the leadership team, stay engaged with the day-to-day challenges of the employees, and strive to allow customers to give more direct feedback into product development.

Year and a Half review

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe environment that Dealer.com has fostered has allowed me to have more success here than anywhere else in the auto space. Everyone is working toward a common goal - to provide the best products and the best service. While it's not perfect 100% of the time, and when there is an issue, everyone is open toward resolving the issue and I can get the issue resolved quickly. This is probably one of the best opportunities in Vermont.

ConsInterdepartmental communication is still lacking a bit, but I think it's a byproduct of our growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore parking! Buy the adjacent parcel and put in a new lot!

Great work environment

User Interface Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

ProsDealer.com has an amazing set of benefits above the basic health, dental, vacation, and 401k contribution. Onsite fitness classes and fully featured gym, subsidized organic / locally sourced cafe breakfast and lunch service, chair massages, chiropractic care, ergo consultants... and much more. Did i mention the parties? Two outrageous events every year that are talked about all over town.

ConsDealer.com has grown at a tremendous rate for good and bad. The engineering organization has several layers of management. At times this gets in the way of efficiency. The middle guys don't seem to have clear purpose other than to appease the upper guys and they tend to swoop in mid-project and ask all sorts of questions that would be obvious if they were paying attention earlier on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your homework before interrupting meetings.

Great Place to work but Management Makes Poor Decisions.

Digital Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat facility, organic cafe, gym, ping pong, putt putt, Skii Passes awesome parties.

ConsTerrible interdepartmental communication, cliques, who you know not what you know gets you promoted. Too many clients to manage and too little time. Need more employees to balance work load until then customer service will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Communication and improve work flow. This has started with the Digital Advisors and needs to happen in every department.

Career Building

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat work/life balance. lots of energy amongst leaders & peers. dynamic environment.

Consrapid growth results in many reorgs and shifting of roles. nature of the beast, however...it's great to be in a company that is so successful.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing

Impressive for people who do not know much about the real world

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBurlington is a nice city. The water filtration is good. It doesn't smell.

ConsUnder-qualifed managers. Under-skilled engineers. Much of the money that should go to salaries goes to ego inflation of upper management. Low pay. Who you know is everything. Dull food in the cafe. Low quality gym. Parking problems. Long hours, no appreciation. Highly mechanical paper-work generating process for pushing people out the door when they grow up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think all of upper management should quit and hire professionals to replace them.

Overworked and Under Appreciated

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a gym and fitness classes but you will never have time to use it.

ConsOverworked. No time for family and the pay does not match the OT requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the middle management that were promoted during the job growth. They are afraid and don't know what they are doing. Getting rid of the director of the Am team was a good start but keep going.

Crazy wild amenities, parties, and benefits mask the poor compensation plans, compared to other big companies.

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs others have shared, this company is known for great benefits and amenities, not to mention elaborate parties twice a year where they fly people over and put them up because the drinking is at an all time high.

The energy and culture here is amazing when you get to enjoy it.

Cafe, gym, open environment for working and thinking, many conference rooms with cool names, bean bag chairs, and fitness classes all inspire collaboration. Oh, you get some local discounts too.

ConsAll the pros mask all the cons. If the $750K+ which is spent on the parties were distributed to the employees, each employee would get a small bonus. The gym, fitness classes, scholarships, mini golf, etc are all nice except you never have time to use them working 50+ hour weeks and only being paid for 40.

The compensation is 20-30K below industry average. To get ahead you must party with the Executive management and throw people under the bus.

Forget about having an MBA and clean background here, if that was the case many executives wouldn't be in their positions.

Parking is a nightmare!

Movement and promotions are hard.

The cafe charges what they feel like charging you based on how much they like you. There is no set pricing or knowing what you're going to be charged.

Forget about being innovative and sharing your ideas, they say they welcome them , but I have seen people pushed right out the door for challenging directors and supervisors who may be under qualified.

The cafe is supposedly subsidized, but you can walk across the street and get the same quality food at the same price.

Stock options which recently became available are not clearly defined, thus supporting the need to rage with executive management. If you have been with the company 2 years it's up to your director to decide if you "deserve the grant", and at whatever value he or she decided you have brought to the company will determine your award.

Really, if you want to work your buns off, not get paid properly, have clouded expectations, poor communication, and lots of smoke and mirrors; this company is the right fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP. You lost many employees to competitors recently, do you think it's coincidence? People have been leaving left and right, you cut salaries by 5-10K last year. You hosed many of your best sales people out of the living they deserved. You even squeezed out your top innovator for your most important product. Look at some of your management in place and evaluate how they really perform. Do they perform well or does the team they "manage" run smoothy either way? Really promote innovative thinking and exploration. Stop masking everything with the smoke and mirrors.

Worked for Dealer.com? Contribute to the Community!

Dealer.com – Why Work for Us?

About Us Great companies start with an idea and an inspiration. Our idea was to make the car buying process better, faster and simpler. And our inspiration was technology. In 1997 that spark led Mark Bonfigli, Rick… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dealer.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dealer.com CEO Mark F. O'Neil . All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Dealer.com employees.