Dealer.com

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Chaotic changes among departments because company is growing so fast (in 3 reviews)

• Need more employees to balance work load until then customer service will suffer (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great culture, great engineers

Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in engineering at Dealer means coming in contact with really intelligent people who are dedicated to the craft of building great software. There are some troublesome piles of legacy code, but that's the nature of a company that's been around for 15 years. There are a lot of opportunities to learn, grow, and solve interesting problems. In my experience, developers are rarely encouraged to pursue the cheapest or crudest way to solve a problem: a good-to-great solution usually wins out.

Cons

Integrating with DealerTrack has been a confusing process. DT is a bigger company with "big company" values, which has strained some of the smaller and anti-establishment principles of Dealer.com. There's a lot of dust in the air right now, it may take a while for that to settle down.

Front-end design and development (including user interface design and usability) often takes second-seat to shipping features that can be easily marketed. Dealer.com is at a size where they can offer a really great product at a premium price-point and the money will follow, but there's still a pressure to compete feature-for-feature with other companies in the market. At times this can feel like a race to the bottom, which feels opposed to the ideals of the company.

Too much time is devoted to special one-off projects that net a pile of money. The company is at a point where it can slow down and take the time to build a really great product, and the money will flow. Commit to rewriting legacy code or just throwing it away; better to kill off a product that nobody can maintain and doesn't make money than have it hanging around like a bad smell.

Still the best place to work in Vermont

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great history. Solid salary. The benefits & perks are well known. Legendary parties. Cool team.

Cons

Too many new faces. Becoming more corporate by the day.

Remember what made the company so special to begin with.

Welcoming, friendly environment

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and culture are great. The salary is decent, management is flexible and everyone is very open and friendly!

Cons

Hard to move up/get promoted at this location (main office is in VT)

Wonderful Place To Work

Current Employee - Advertising Strategist in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Advertising Strategist in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere that encourages open discussion and sharing of knowledge

Cons

The processes for communicating through official channels is still being ironed out

Great experience at Dealer.com, Challenging, Upbeat and Very Friendly Environment.

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to start a career. The company is growing so fast and has plenty of opportunity. That fact, combined with the amount of support you receive from the company to grow as an individual, it's easy to move around and gain additional, relevant experience within the industry. I've been here for 3 years and have moved laterally once and vertically twice. Professionally, it's been solid.

Cons

Common theme here but because Dealer.com is so successful and has been growing so fast it's got such a large client list and it has not fully adapted to this level of success. It seems like the company is always a few people behind regarding headcount. Ultimately, leads to heavy workloads and less time being spent to really champion customer service and success.

Just fine

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's lots of opportunity to reframe your ideas about yourself professionally. Also, there's lots of opportunity to learn how to fit daily exercise and healthy eating habits into your life. Further, a wide variety of people work there and there are little cliques for everyone, just like any other employer of that size. A postive attitude and being honest with yourself will take you far at DDC as well as in any other job you have.

Cons

Sometimes you need to work a little harder to hear the signal in the noise and then double check that you understand it. There's a lot going on there and for people with stamina and resilience it can be intrinsically rewarding.

SEO Analyst

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

Not bad I like the company I guess

Cons

A lot of over-priced food not my taste.

Great company!

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dealer.com is a great company that's built upon a set of core values and principles. The founders are genuine people that truly care about the success of their employees. The culture is great too: do you know very many other companies in Burlington, VT with a gym, a dedicated wellness team and huge company parties? They care about keeping their employees engaged.

Cons

I can't think of any worth mentioning.

Great Company

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They really care about their employees, lots of perks

Cons

I did not have any!

Avoid this place if you're going to be a DA or in Support

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really tries to care about its employees... the benefits are great (although health, dental, and vision insurance got slightly worse and twice as expensive after being acquired by DealerTrack), and the company offers a lot of employee perks through the Life program. There's two cafes in the Vermont 1 Howard St building that serve pretty good (if expensive) food and snacks. Also, free coffee.. can't go wrong with that. Onsite gym and 'The Playground' (basketball, ping pong, tennis, etc).

The company also really tries hard to be a good player in the community, donating to local organizations or organizing volunteer days. This has contributed to the "blind love" for Dealer.com in Vermont.

Cons

The Support department is SEVERELY understaffed. They provide VERY inadequate training... Fortunately, there is a small team within Support that are the "experts" who help you solve issues. Management in Support is appalling... managers will never ask you how you're doing, they will almost never strike up a conversation with you, and you will NOT get the sense that they care.

You will be "ramped up" very quickly, and before you know it, you will be assigned 5+ tickets every day, and have a 4 hour phone shift each day.. that leaves you ~3.5 hours to work on your "backlog" (assigned tickets), which if you ever get behind... will increasingly pile up until you're so far behind that you can't get anything done on time. Then, you'll have the annoying DA team (also part of Customer Service) constantly on your case because the client is looking for an update. It's not their fault, they're also understaffed.. but then you also get managers who go on and on about stats, hold times, etc. They constantly talk of "improving our efficiency"... there is only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of a small team where EVERYONE is doing their absolute best. You will get burned out very quickly.

Add to that the daily chaos of stuff breaking. Let me just say, SOMETHING is ALWAYS broken at Dealer.com. The infrastructure is crumbling. I'm not joking when I say we have an outage of some kind every week, and they seem to be becoming more frequent as time has gone on. This could range from our products being sluggish to being totally down, which internally gets classified as an 'incident' rather than what it should be -- an OUTAGE. This drives up calls to Support and we get so swamped that we have to drop everything to handle the volume... which, you guessed it, leaves you more behind than you already were. Don't bother asking for help from managers, because they won't give you any. They'll say things like "how about we give you a few less tickets today", which does not help at all. I gave up trying to ask for help, and realized that managers don't care one way or another.

I've also noticed a trend where the company pushes subpar products and sells them as if they're the next best thing. The company SERIOUSLY has a problem for focusing on GARBAGE that looks pretty, so they can sell it to dealers. I'm talking about things like Lifecycles, Social, etc. They neglect the products that customers CONSTANTLY call in on, such as Inventory Manager, Specials Builder Pro, Composer, etc. Not only that, but they are always "tweaking" the products, adding features... but they never polish them, and to me - it seems like they don't even test the products, because they often break when updates are released.

I know for a fact that upper management cares more about money than they do about what's good for our customers, just based on things I've seen while at the company. For example, the attitude when we lose an opportunity to upsell a customer is "aw, look at all the money we just lost", rather than "Wow, we really need to improve the customer experience - why did we lose that opportunity?".

Working in Support... you will constantly have to "escalate" issues to other departments, like Development, which often take weeks to get resolved (if ever). When I was new, I tried to report every bug... until I realized that no one cares, and they will never get fixed. We had a bug with one of our products in IE10... Development decided not to fix it, saying "we're too swamped, and no one uses IE10". Great attitude, Dealer.com. This is the kind of stuff you will have to deal with on a daily basis, and you WILL grow tired of it if you care at all about what you do.

It's really unfortunate... Dealer.com makes great websites, and in my opinion.. some of the best in the business. Yeah, they're "templates", but that means it's easier to support them, optimize them, and improve them... if only the back-end infrastructure was better. Believe me when I say that the people in Support really do care about the customers, but we are NOT given the time we need to do a good job.

Now, the company has been bought by DealerTrack... which in my opinion, is a disaster in the making. DealerTrack is known for horrible customer service, and is this large behemoth that swallows up smaller companies to suck up all they're worth. The merger has already produced some negative results (worse benefits package), and in my opinion, is just going to make it even MORE difficult for Dealer.com to function. DDC is already overwhelmed with everything it is trying to do on its own, the merger with DealerTrack is just going to make things worse.

Someone else here commented that Dealer.com doesn't care about the people in the other offices... I disagree, at least from the point of view of someone in Support. We really do care about you guys, but we're just a gear in the machine.

On my way out, I've learned that most people in Support are just as jaded and stressed as I was... they're just better at hiding it. Many of my concerns are echoed by others, but they choose not to speak up. Some of them are just there for a paycheck, and that's why they are willing to deal with it. Personally, for me, I can't work somewhere that I don't have faith in, and DDC was sucking the passion out of me.

Management - you SERIOUSLY need to BOOST MORALE! Show that you actually care about your team. Talk to us, get to know us. Every single one of you in Support comes across as cold, unapproachable, and uncaring. Every single time I asked for help, my concerns were snuffed. Every time I brought up an idea, it was dismissed. You have A LOT of team members who feel very neglected... and if that doesn't change, I feel that more people will leave. You need to listen to our concerns, be a part of what we deal with on a daily basis.

One thing I want to mention ... when I was sick and asked if I could leave, and you said "if you have to"... why is it that you all leave to go home early, while your team is swamped on phones with no direction or assistance from managers? Way to leave us by the wayside.