Dealer.com Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.2

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You can expect middle management to blatantly lie and if you prove to the contrary, expect to be let go (in 3 reviews)

• The senior management commented "if you need training you're the wrong person for the job" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Can't say enough positive things

Current Employee - Technical Support in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, incredible building, and beer Fridays. I just can't say enough about how great it is to work here.

Cons

The average employee is like 35 year old single hipster

Keep up the good work, people love working here

Amazing benefits

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best company to work for in Vermont. Amazing benefits like top ranked health, dental, and life insurance practically free. My girlfriend is a nurse and my insurance is way better than hers. On site gym, two cafeterias including organic food. They give us days to volunteer and help the community also!

Amazing company to work for. The programmers don't seem as happy but everyone else loves working there.

Cons

It is a large office and parking is not can be a far walk. They have a shuttle since the parking can be a 10 minute walk

They Like'em Young

Current Employee - Web Designer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of perky young people with nice bodies and a great gym to be oogled at. You get a salary. Health care is not bad. Tight clothes.

Cons

Managers look down from windows above at their young subjects lusting for a piece. Noisy, very noisy, like a mall on Black Friday. Low pay. Freakish cult atmosphere. Overpriced cafe. HR works against employees. Fake smiles. Abusive managers. Plastic faces.

Come to work sober. Realize we don't worship you. Get a life. Have some kids. Grow up.

Billing Operations Analyst

Former Employee - Billing Operations Analyst in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Billing Operations Analyst in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Dealer.com pre-Dealer Track Integration and the company culture was great, very supportive of a work-life balance, and great management within the Finance department.

Cons

Cross-departmental cooperation was not always there and advancement opportunities became limited as the company continued to grow and recruit outside talent.

Make sure to retain the talent you have.

Management highly irresponsible.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The engineers I worked with were highly competent and super nice. A great, generous bunch of guys.

Cons

Management has let the network infrastructure rot for years. There was no disaster recovery site and key systems were not backed up. Production servers in California depended on systems in a VT server room which had inadequate cooling. There were frequent outages as a result of overheating.

The company has been sold to DealerTrack.com in Long Island so I'd think twice about moving to VT.

Stop taking systems admins for granted. Fix the horribly inadequate network infrastructure.

A very mixed bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, NC

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits provided to the employees have a wide and impressive variety, from the amazing parties to fitness classes, to community volunteering and other opportunities. Since I have been there this company had a personal kind of feel, not just part of a corporate structure but that is going to be hard to maintain due to recent changes.

Cons

Due to such quick growth is seems management found those positions because they were promoted as the company got larger rather than from being trained in managing people. It is a struggle to advance or even change departments and no actual development or assistance provided to grow professionally once you are in a position (or training for your new role in some cases). Like any large organization communication can be hard, but there is also a lack of responsibility that has become more obvious as deadlines are crunched and professionalism is lacking. There is a never ending flow of work and overtime is expected in a salaried position making a healthy life balance impossible and rewards for working hard are not easily found.

Cut some of the fitness classes and provide educational classes on technology (coding, web design, advertising) instead so we can make our employees better. Peer review your managers and see which ones actually have the respect of their subordinates, that might tell you a lot.

Read this review for the truth - some negative posts have bad motives

Former Employee - MGT in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - MGT in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are too many pros to list here but I will list some things I think are important to note. When I worked at the company I had access to my CEO every Friday in an open forum, this was amazing. Most of the negative reviewers have had either no job or 1-2 before coming to dealer.com so they have no perspective what a great tech company looks and feels like or even what a great career feels like. Dealer invests huge dollars and sweat into it's staff and the benefits are so deep i would need 20 pages more to list them out! As someone that didn't quite make the cut after over 5 years I hold no grudge on the company because I wasn't quite good enough to give the results needed in my position but I was exited with compassion and full understanding and I came away better because of it! The Leadership is not a bunch of parties either, they have families and take the growth and well being of the company very seriously but yes 2 times a year they hold large concert like party and probably 99% of the company not only attends but they let loose and celebrate their successes as a team and it's magical!! Some may drink at the party but the focus is on being together, laughing dancing and just having a great time. (Not sure why this is bad??)
    The company invest hugely in training and in wellness for every employee that is willing and it's truly world class and rare! I have had 7 positions at various leading companies over the past 30 years and I have never seen such a strong commitment to employees. It's true that some middle mgt may be less experienced but the company recognized this over the last fee years and they has been working on improving that layer through training and recruitment (I should know, I was replaced and rightfully so) sometimes you just need to admit when you are not good enough to be on a specific team.

The bottom line is that dealer.com is a caring and world class company that has more ethics and compassion for it's people than any I have ever seen and they continue to grow and collect accolades as the best in their field in the world for that reason!

Most of these negative reviews are from upset former employees or current green employees that managed to interview very well but can't handle their jobs. If you are good at what you do and are a team player you will LOVE dealer.com and never want another career.

I'm sad that I can't be there but I'm very happy for the countless friendships I made and I love to see everyone when I visit.

Also some posts claim that clients are not treated well. Success, growth and thousands of raving fans can't be wrong, dealer.com is #1 in the world at what they do for a reason, don't believe a 22 year old reviewer that got fired because he/she didn't show up for work because of being hungover 1 too many times!

This is an amazing company and that's why you will continue to read more about them winning and making their employees happy and clients raving fans for years to come. PR doesn't making thousands of clients happy, great products and services do and that what this company provides.

Hope this review helped someone out there.

Cons

They sometimes need more parking spots but walking isn't so bad either.

Continue to improve mid mgt and everything will continue to be great for you!

I'd never recommend Dealer Dot Com to a friend

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro to working at DDC is the health care package. It's very good. Yes, you'll hear about fitness, a gym, and so on, but if you're an engineer, you won't have much of a chance to use these facilities as you will be working day and night and most of the weekend.

Cons

The pay is not good. The demographics are definitely skewed to white and young. Once you begin to age, they pretty much shove you out the door, not because of performance, but because they have a fetish for young people.

Advancement has everything to do with falling into the founders' clique, which is a pretty ugly click to fall into. Imagine a frat-boy atmosphere of sophomore-ish old men with no family lives and chicks on their mind. To get a management position, its best to party with these guys, stoop down to their level, drink a lot, ignore your family if you have one, and be a general cad of a useless bag of skin.

Management uses "performance enhancement plans" to drum people out. Once they've marked you (for being older, caring about your family more than DDC, or having a life), you will be put on a path of constant pressure and engineered "failure," until such a time as you either quit or they show you the door.

Beneath the illusion of caring for employees, there is a parasitic class of hanger-ons that are friends with the "Chief Earthling" (yeah, that's his title). They are his party-entourage. They get their jobs through friendship with the Chief Earthling for silly jobs in the "Life Department." The Life Department exists not for the benefit of the employees, but really in order to give jobs to the Chief Earthlings cronies.

There is an overpriced organic cafe that serves the food that the Chief Earthling wants to eat. Those within his special entourage often eat free while those that actually produce do not.

Since I've left DDC, I've met many people in the Burlington area that have nothing positive to say about DDC, only negative experiences and/or stories they've heard. The company has a reputation as a "cult." Perhaps "cult" is too strong of a word, but it surely resembles one in may ways.

My advice to the new company that took over Dealer.com is to fire the entire company's leadership, from the founders and Chief Earthling all the way down to the lowest level of management. Get rid of the Life Department. Scrap the organic cafe and feed the employees food they want to eat. Most of all, investigate your new property for age discrimination. I suspect you will find evidence.

Excellent opportunities in an exciting, market-leading but human and sometimes flawed company.

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make your own future by taking risks, caring about the customers, and workng hard. There are opportunities for both tech-oriented and soft skill folks, but don't expect to rise to the top overnight. Some of the products are groundbreaking while others are still playing catch up. Fantastic spirit and culture both in Vermont and Manhattan Beach.

Cons

Recognition can be sparse if you have the wrong manager. Communication between departments, especially Sales, can be almost non-existant, though it is improving over time. The acquisition by Dealer Trak may mean more red tape and slower pace of improvement, but hopefully it will mean more resources for the most overworked departments. Talented staff often loses heart because managers do not mentor or develop them. Sell more, work harder attitude often prevails. In several product areas, smaller, more nimble companies have an advantage.

Make sure managers can manage and develop their talent, not just squeeze them for more productivity.

Fun company, not many growth opportunities. Be prepared to work for someone way below your experience level.

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People outside of the clique that exists within DDC. Organic cafes, great exercise classes, good work/life balance.

Cons

Managers have been promoted above their ability level due to tenure. Have seen countless people move on from Dealer.com due to lack of growth opportunities or acknowledgment of the skills they have developed outside of the company.

There is a serious problem with partying at this company. Think high school. If you party, you're in. If you don't, you're not. Exists at all levels - absolutely applies Directors and VP's.

Stop promoting people into VP roles just because they've been with the company for several years. Drug testing might be a good idea too...