Dealer.com Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
89 reviews filtered by
3.5
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Chaotic changes among departments because company is growing so fast (in 3 reviews)

• Need more employees to balance work load until then customer service will suffer (in 3 reviews)

1. Great people and fun environment

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management listens and understands the business and employee needs. Company embraces agile development methodologies. We get to solve interesting and unique enterprise level problems every day. Contributions are often recognized. I like everyone I work with.

Cons

* Increasingly corporate feel
    * Infrequent but occasional long hours
    * Limited training for new hires

2. Good place to start out and one of the better places in the Burlington area to work

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

*Cafe
    *Office Environment
    *Benefits
    *Burlington is a cool city to live in
    *Awesome parties but we will see how long those last since we were purchased by Dealertrack

Cons

*Low Pay Compared to Industry Average
    *Servicing Car Dealerships isn't the most fulfilling job in the world
    *Depending on department you are located it can make it extremely difficult to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Pay the industry average if you want to keep talent.

3. Hard Work

Current Employee - Copywriter in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, tons of perks, great time off

Cons

Tons of work, not great pay, bad raises

Advice to Management

The Copywriters should be paid more, especially the client-facing Copywriters. Also the social media Copywriters should be given a title change. We do a ton of work and aren't really getting the proper recognition for it. Also the raises should be increased.

5. Fun place to work with quirky employees.

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very relaxed and the management is fairly transparent. The benefits are nice such as having access to a gym and free workout classes. I loved my team members too, they were a fun group of people.

Cons

Felt a bit disorganized at times, but overall it was great.

Advice to Management

I like the fact that you trust your employees/

They focus on the unimportant and let hard work be overlooked

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first got to Dealer.com I could not believe the great things that they had there such as a massive gym, massage rooms with on-site masseuses, multiple cafes that touted local, organic ingredients, and a workplace that claimed to be centered around fun" and creativity. This got me excited and drew me in. At first I imagined myself working there long-term. I was excited about the company's growth and I felt that my voice would be heard if I had any ideas or constructive feedback.

Cons

After the first few months the glamour wore off. I was doing the same repetitive, menial tasks for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. I was in a position where I had been promised training and the opportunity to collaborate with other teams. After a year and repeated requests on my part to do so this still did not happen. I was still sitting in the same windowless room, day in and day out, doing the same thing. The people that I worked with all looked the same: twenty-somethings that spent more time playing golf on the roof (yes, there is golf on the roof), drinking beers on the job, and perusing Facebook than actual work. As somebody with work ethic and the desire to perform well at my job this was very frustrating to see. People spent way too much time sharing photos of the last "epic" winter/summer party (yes, they have two a year). On Fridays you could forget about seeing anything get done. People start drinking first thing in the morning, I kid you not. The party attitude is way too over-emphasized. A friend of mine teaches classes for individuals convicted of DUIs and guess what? He says that they get a slough of Dealer.com folks every year. I am not surprised. A lot of people quit during my time there because they were expected to keep on working once they got home and they would rather spend a bit of time with their families. I'm in my late twenties and I have a child. I felt like there was no future for me there because I would be phased out like so many others that I saw. I would rather work at a place that rewards real talent, none of this popularity contest stuff.

Advice to Management

Crack down on the alcohol in the workplace. It is disgusting. Follow through on promises to employees. CUT SPENDING. No more of these ridiculous parties (believe me, they are way over the top, there are pole dancers and everything). Cut back on the cafe food. This isn't high school. People can bring their own food from home. One cafe is more than enough, especially in the South End where there are many other local businesses trying to thrive. Eliminate some of the unnecessary employees (or astronauts as they call them) like the masseuses and the Life Team. Oh, and the vid team. Those guys act like rock stars and actually spend days creating ridiculous music videos of the employees rapping in costumes and the like. It makes me cringe. Crack down on employees actually getting work done instead of playing on social media and drinking beers on the roof while playing golf and volleyball. Make it a respectable place to work instead of a circus. Maybe if that happens I will bring my talent back there. For now I am satisfied elsewhere.

Lots of energy, not a lot of direction

Current Employee - Web Developer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Great culture, facilities, benefits, etc. Burlington is a great location too, it's blown me away so far.

Cons

No training and no documentation. The work also isn't particularly challenging/interesting. This isn't to say that there isn't interesting work going on, but it seems to be a minority of developers/teams doing it. Most folks just seem happy to show up and collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Bring in a documentation guru and empower them to transform the organization much in the way that the Agile guru did. That would improve the on-boarding experience, help with stability and performance, etc. A win for all.

8. You are worked very hard but get tons of benefits

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tons of health and wellness benefits, has gym, tennis court, free classes. Tuition reimbursement and partnerships with universities for higher education. Good career planning if you take initiative to work with your manager.

Cons

Going through being acquired so there is some uncertainty about the future and what changes will be made. As with any company some processes need improvement to increase efficiency

Advice to Management

Share the reasons changes are being made. More consistent training for new hires.

9. Support

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Laid back environment.

Cons

The hours are not ideal.

Great benefits, pool executive leadership

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

Great benefits and focus on wellness

Cons

Poor executive leadership and understanding what it takes to implement business process and strategy. Executive team did not instill a following and often held meetings talking about others. They need to foster a collaborative environment. It also was a very clicky environment which made employees uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and learn to let go and listen to qualified and seasoned professionals rather than ignoring. Take time to get advice. Hire people smarter than you and be ok with it.

11. Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

Awesome people and work environment. Can't be the perks of their facility; yoga studio, crossfit and spin classes, full gym, etc. Good opportunities for advancement within the company for entry level positions.

Cons

Somewhat scattered and inefficient processes due to their rapid growth. Things could clearly be done a lot better and consolidated but they need to keep up with their growth however they can. Hard to progress your career after a certain point.