Dealer.com
www.dealer.com Burlington, VT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Dealer.com Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros:
  • "com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Smart people, great benefits, cool parties and great building"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The senior management commented "if you need training you're the wrong person for the job""
    in 3 reviews
  • "Talented people leave, shrinking the talent pool"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best place I've ever worked.

Digital Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/life balance perks available if you can take the time to take advantage of them, great rewards for hard work accomplished (fun parties, social hours, beer Fridays, etc) and love the casual/silly work culture. There is a clear career path that excites me, and management seems interested in fostering that talent.

ConsThe expectations for the metrics of my job are often overwhelming, sometimes there is no way to know how your success will be measured. I don't feel like I can take a vacation without worrying about my workload getting out of hand.

Great culture for employees, not for clients

Regional Sales Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, great benefits, cool parties and great building

ConsNo sense of urgency to get things done for clients, hard to sell a company that has a reputation for not having a quick enough turn-around time. This is the car business, dealers expect everything done in minutes not weeks!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was sink or swim in sales. A little less time in orientation and a little more real world training would have been great. Also, do not hire under one pretense and change the job completely in 6 months. I didn't sign up for what I ultimately had to do so that's why I had to leave.

A fast-paced place to work with many benefits

Manager, Digital Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDealer.com possesses an Innovative work environment that encourages you to be yourself. There is immense learning and development opportunities for all types of careers. It is clear, from the executive team down, that employees are highly valued and cared for.

ConsIt is a company still enduring growing pains and can often make decisions that appear arrogant. There is an attitude that anything can be accomplished, which is good, but it is often overused and leads to reorganization or sweeping process changes that are not appropriately vetted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the horse, not the cheetah. Everything doesn't need to be explosively fast, sometimes slowing down a little will speed you up more long term.

Neo Sweatshop

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a great starting point if you're new to tech. The company has some tech cache (having recently been sold), which can add leverage when you're applying to other jobs in the field if Dealer.com is on your resume.

If you treat it like a stepping stone: get it, get skills, get out.

ConsThere's a focus on scalability that makes it feel like an assembly line sweatshop. The tasks are pretty routine after the first 3 months, so once you get the hang of it, you'll be simultaneously bored and overworked.

I've been in meetings where managers/HR have acknowledged a "burn and churn" model to hiring: it's expected that folks will stay come in wide-eyed after hearing about gym classes and organic cafes, hit "reality" when they realize the job is routine and mediocre, then burn out and exit within 3 years.

There's a significant amount of nerd bro-ing out. Like the other reviewers state, there's definitely the impression that there's a hard-partying in crowd that can accelerate your career growth if you massage the right egos.

Do some research to note the lack of women in senior management positions.

Salaries are low, but management understands there's a lack of VT tech jobs, so they have a monopoly on the VT job market, allowing them to keep wages lower than standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess bros in power. Less vanity positions for incompetent early employees.

Greedy Sr Management who are amazing liars

Engineering Department Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGot sold to Dealer Track - maybe

ConsIf you like to work smart and hard this is not the place for you.
Leadership is rude and often unprofessional
No consideration for quality work but if you work late and party with leaders, you are going places.
Work space is noisy, desks small and conference rooms scarce. On top of it the new building leaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real professionals - your VPs, C levels have no experience outside dealer. They are ruining the company.

Don't Believe the Hype

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

ProsThere are a lot of nice people that work here who are very smart and want to succeed.

ConsManagement is terrible. If you are ambitious, be ready to have your manager constantly put you down and treat you like he does the toilet after beef burger day in the cafe every other Wednesday. You'll find you are constantly told one thing one day, and another the next. No transparency, lots of lying. There is always talk about being the best at what we do but when people take the time to make sure things are done right they are asked why the number about is low. They value quantity over quality and send out inferior products to clients then wonder why they are always having to save key accounts. Let's not forget the pay is barely livable. Dealer.com has done a wonderful job selling the public that doesn't work here, and the local media that it is the best place on earth, but if the media was actually allowed to ask a real employee what they think (we aren't allowed to speak to local media, must refer all work related stuff to PR), they might find that this place isn't anything close to what they think it is in terms of worker satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat. There are too many middle managers who are way passed their expiration date, who are rude and unprofessional and take advantage of the fact that they were around in "the good old days". You have a lot of young and talented people who work here, and because some management is afraid of people showing ambition, these people are stifled and become alienated, and ultimately are going to leave. This isn't what you founded your company to be. There are so many great ideas and ways Dealer.com can be even better and you have nobody speaking up because it actually hurts their career growth because of bitter and vindictive managers.

Great Company, Great People

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Excellent culture
- Fast Growing Company
- Solid Market Share
- The majority of employees are great people and fun and easy to work with

Cons- Because the company is growing so fast there are not yet established tracks for advancement. With that being said it is possible to move between departments and create your own position.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't lose great culture, keep up the good work

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer.com

ProsIt's a fun loving group of people who, in general, know how to strike a good balance between home and work life

ConsA sizable number of employees party pretty hard, especially at company wide events. Those not comfortable with drunkenness and loud music may not fit into the social scene as much.

They Put The "Cult" in Culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy coworkers were incredible. Most everyone in engineering wanted things to be awesome and do good work.

Salary was ok.

Non-salary benefits were good.

The founders really believe in the company

ConsMy incredible coworkers were beaten into place by awful management.

If you don't party with the big wigs, you'll never move up.

Management is so convinced it is an awesome place to work, they think nothing of ripping parents away from their kids/spouses for very very long stints - and if you don't have kids it's twice as bad.

If you complain, you will be ostracized. Working 75 hours instead of 80 because your kid is sick makes you a "slacker" to management

The cafe was nice, but is horribly expensive.

Company is horribly marketing-heavy. They sell product they don't have.

Hiring your favorite customers and putting them in charge of products is a very bad idea.

I don't think the CEO understands how his company is rotting from the bottom up. He's a nice guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess managers, less marketing, more engineers, better communication.

Not all sunshine and rainbows...

Production Web Developer (Former Employee)
Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Excellent medical and dental benefits.
2. Talented and fun employees to work with.
3. On-site cafeterias.
4. Killer company parties.

Cons1. The work was terribly monotonous and completely void of any creative freedom.
2. Worst working conditions I've ever experienced!! Unlike the rest of the beautiful building, our workspace was a sweat shop...literally. 11 people packed into a converted storage closet that was completely dark except for the glow of Thunderbolt monitors. No lights on! There were only two windows in the room (which opened up to the center of the building). The nearest outdoor window was well over 100' away and many times the shade would be down. And with 11 people and all the heat-producing hardware packed into such a small space, it was also hot and smelly. Due to these conditions I would typically begin suffering from a migraine headache by 10am every day. The work conditions coupled with never-ending tedium led to me to resign after only 13 months.
3. Very little vacation time (5 days for first 12 months, 10 days for years 2-3)
4. Cannot move internally to another position for at least 18 months.
5. Starting salary for this particular position was very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the Custom Services team out of that dark, miserable closet so they may work in the open, sun-lit spaces that that everyone else in the company enjoys. No one should have to work in conditions like that, ever! If not, provide the team with a Costco-sized tub of ibuprofen to make it through the day.

Worked for Dealer.com? Contribute to the Community!

Dealer.com – Why Work for Us?

About Us Great companies start with an idea and an inspiration. Our idea was to make the car buying process better, faster and simpler. And our inspiration was technology. In 1997 that spark led Mark Bonfigli, Rick… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dealer.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dealer.com CEO Mark F. O'Neil . All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Dealer.com employees.