Dealer.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • Organic cafes, great exercise classes, good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast there are not yet established tracks for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• When a company advertises itself as fun to work, informal, etc you know it is a low pay, high demand sweatshop (in 3 reviews)

Cannot recommend enough!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

It only takes one walk through the building to know this place is special. From our life program (massages, gym, personal trainers, nearly a full day schedule of fitness classes tennis court, outdoors beach tennis court, multiple eating options) to our laid back culture, the energy in this company is infectious. Pay is good for Vermont (perhaps not compared to CA tech jobs...but the cost of living, while annoyingly high, is fractions of what its costs to live in California or other big tech hubs), benefits are decent. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Some people just don't fit into the culture. If you aren't a fast learner this isn't the place for you. Things move super fast (technology wise) and organization wise, capable people are valued far higher than good process. If you aren't an adaptable fast learner this isn't the place for you. Theres enough people who go above and beyond that people who merely do their jobs well aren't noticed, so if your looking for a punch in/punch out 9-5, this probably isn't the place for you. Benefit-wise, health coverage slipped in quality after the DealerTrack acquisition, still unknown what the Cox Automotive acquisition will bring (rumors are its better there). Finally, a lot of the original employee group got really rich in the aquisitions are already out or on their way out the door to live in posh retirement (still being in their late 30's early 40's), so this might be a con in that some of the original leadership is gone (or a plus in that theres room for growth)

Advice to Management

Always remember what made us successful (people and culture), don't let the bigger corporation change that (thankfully hasn't seemed to happen yet) Reexamine medical coverage, we all took a big cut going to DT that came out of our pockets (basically we all got hidden pay cuts) Fire people faster.

It's ok if you want to live in high school forever

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on which department you are in you can get experience and move on or maybe up to a different department if you are lucky. I won't complain about the gym access and cafe because it is a convenient option. For the most part if you do your work competently and treat it as a job you can be okay. Don't be one of the worshipers! You will meet plenty of good people but they are the hard workers who don't get enough recognition.

Cons

I didn't feel it was a fun place for women. Few women senior managers, because there is still a boys club mentality - you're going to be ogled, randomly chatted by some male you've never met or interact with in a work setting and it is obvious what they are after!! Lots of thurstyness. Of course there are girls - I call them that because they are immature who act like divas and if you don't comply or play their game or do their "coworker bonding" get togethers they think something is wrong with you and they gossip. There really are people there who have nothing better to do than dig up dirt or talk behind coworkers backs. It is workplace Mean Girls. I've seen sweet and kind women used, chewed up and spit out because stuff like that. In terms of work many processes could be cleaned up and streamlined. New procedures and goals get made up on the fly and it can limit real accountability and just creates a lot of confusion. Managers are accountable for very little it seems.

Advice to Management

Get more qualified women in senior roles. Control the high school like atmosphere by promoting more professionalism. Sadly "epic parties" only feed into the immature culture. Make sure the products are 100% ready for market and that procedures are actually efficient. Let us evaluate our managers! If they can't take feedback and improve why would you want someone so opposed to growth?! Also plenty of good people with good ideas and skills that feel left out of the process it shouldn't be that way!

Decent place, but lots of scary issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative company (to its customers) that is growing quickly. There is a general positive attitude and the company puts on a Google-like atmosphere (more on this later). Lots of movement, thanks to fast growth. Just acquired by Cox Automotive, which will bring the company back to a private status. Bonuses available.

Cons

Though they attempt to emulate Google's atmosphere, they do a poor job at it, as everyone is out to get one another. Internal innovation is at a standstill, making everyone's job harder. Getting anything done to fix broken systems is like pulling teeth. Development team is shockingly lazy and becomes defensive when asking for things to be fixed. Too laid back of an atmosphere for most people not from this area. Human resources is a complete joke that makes massive mistakes and underpays its employees. The management team that made this company great has been castrated. Work grinds to a halt at 3:00 p.m. von Fridays because everyone is too busy drinking beer and socializing. Vermonters are whiny by nature, which bleeds into the workplace. Everyone is a victim at Dealer.com.

Advice to Management

Fire your entire development management team and bring in new people that actually hit goals. Focus on making your employee's jobs easier, and you will notice a lot more gets done. Focus on making this more of a workplace than a social event. And for goodness sake, hire some competent HR folks; the people you have now are underqualified. Hopefully a lot of this will change with the acquisition.

New Acquisition! ChaChing for Leaders!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Another acquisition! More Growth! This is great for our field. Thank you Rick Gibbs for penning the deal with Cox. It will be great to be a part of the Cox team. I know that there will be redundancies in roles as we merge teams but the advantage is we're joining an established team. Time to shake off some of the dead wood around here!

Cons

It's very cold in Burlington. New for me coming from out of state. People in town/communities are not friendly to outsiders. Very large homeless population. Very sad to see, and a few token community service events will not make an impact. They get people excited about contributing, but it is a farce. We need to do more. My family does not feel safe here either. When I brought my concerns to the team running events they down played the severity of the problem.

Advice to Management

You've cashed in with the Dealertrack buy out. You're cashing in double for the Cox acquisition. Why not use your millions to help the community? Also, we know when you're not telling the truth. We're not stupid. Also, it is widely known that if you don't drink the Earthling Kool Aid you'll be blacklisted.

6. Web Developer

Current Employee - Web Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance like no other. Excellent Co-workers.

Cons

If you like the automotive industry, there are no Cons. It's like any other fast growing company, you gotta work hard to keep up.

Advice to Management

Talk to N.D., The Director of Production and try to run your department the way she does.

Vision vs Reality

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, atmosphere. Many benefits, great coworkers. Fun place to be. You could not ask for more perks.

Cons

Car dealers are the worst. Thankless job, task/order taker. Leadership has a unicorns and rainbows vision for what the job should be. However, there is no chance that could be come a reality.

Advice to Management

Call it like it is, account management. Add back incentives, increase morale, get folks to stay a bit. Hire some more people, create a reason to stay. Otherwise people will continue to jump ship.

8. Constantly Changing & Growing

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity with constant growth (acquired 2x in under 3 years) Work life balance is a priority Great benefits Friendly Team

Cons

Growing larger, losing the family-like feeling Internal communication is not the best

9. Current Employee

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of room for growth based on performance.

Cons

Since the acquisition have we limited some of the product development and focused more on integrating. Overall the current product set is solid

Awesome Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinesburg, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinesburg, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been at Dealer for 4.5 years. Great benefits, great people, decent pay.

Cons

Heavy focus on being lean which can mean heavy client loads for Customer Facing Employees and burnout.

Advice to Management

Lower client loads for Digital Advisors

11. Not the best, not the worst

Current Employee - Senior Advertising Performance Analyst in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Advertising Performance Analyst in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some perks like being 2 blocks from the beach, great access to downtown Manhattan Beach, fun events, all-expenses paid trips to conferences, and of course, lovely co-workers.

Cons

The people you work with are great, but the people who you work for are horrible. Since your primary customer is a car dealer salesman, you will inevitably become annoyed with the end game, while the work and what we are actually doing can be fun and exciting.

Advice to Management

stick to one strategy and have more heart.

RSS Feed </> Embed