Dealer.com

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Chaotic changes among departments because company is growing so fast (in 3 reviews)

• Need more employees to balance work load until then customer service will suffer (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

You are worked very hard but get tons of benefits

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tons of health and wellness benefits, has gym, tennis court, free classes. Tuition reimbursement and partnerships with universities for higher education. Good career planning if you take initiative to work with your manager.

Cons

Going through being acquired so there is some uncertainty about the future and what changes will be made. As with any company some processes need improvement to increase efficiency

Share the reasons changes are being made. More consistent training for new hires.

Support

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Laid back environment.

Cons

The hours are not ideal.

They focus on the unimportant and let hard work be overlooked

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first got to Dealer.com I could not believe the great things that they had there such as a massive gym, massage rooms with on-site masseuses, multiple cafes that touted local, organic ingredients, and a workplace that claimed to be centered around fun" and creativity. This got me excited and drew me in. At first I imagined myself working there long-term. I was excited about the company's growth and I felt that my voice would be heard if I had any ideas or constructive feedback.

Cons

After the first few months the glamour wore off. I was doing the same repetitive, menial tasks for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. I was in a position where I had been promised training and the opportunity to collaborate with other teams. After a year and repeated requests on my part to do so this still did not happen. I was still sitting in the same windowless room, day in and day out, doing the same thing. The people that I worked with all looked the same: twenty-somethings that spent more time playing golf on the roof (yes, there is golf on the roof), drinking beers on the job, and perusing Facebook than actual work. As somebody with work ethic and the desire to perform well at my job this was very frustrating to see. People spent way too much time sharing photos of the last "epic" winter/summer party (yes, they have two a year). On Fridays you could forget about seeing anything get done. People start drinking first thing in the morning, I kid you not. The party attitude is way too over-emphasized. A friend of mine teaches classes for individuals convicted of DUIs and guess what? He says that they get a slough of Dealer.com folks every year. I am not surprised. A lot of people quit during my time there because they were expected to keep on working once they got home and they would rather spend a bit of time with their families. I'm in my late twenties and I have a child. I felt like there was no future for me there because I would be phased out like so many others that I saw. I would rather work at a place that rewards real talent, none of this popularity contest stuff.

Crack down on the alcohol in the workplace. It is disgusting. Follow through on promises to employees. CUT SPENDING. No more of these ridiculous parties (believe me, they are way over the top, there are pole dancers and everything). Cut back on the cafe food. This isn't high school. People can bring their own food from home. One cafe is more than enough, especially in the South End where there are many other local businesses trying to thrive. Eliminate some of the unnecessary employees (or astronauts as they call them) like the masseuses and the Life Team. Oh, and the vid team. Those guys act like rock stars and actually spend days creating ridiculous music videos of the employees rapping in costumes and the like. It makes me cringe. Crack down on employees actually getting work done instead of playing on social media and drinking beers on the roof while playing golf and volleyball. Make it a respectable place to work instead of a circus. Maybe if that happens I will bring my talent back there. For now I am satisfied elsewhere.

Great benefits, pool executive leadership

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

Great benefits and focus on wellness

Cons

Poor executive leadership and understanding what it takes to implement business process and strategy. Executive team did not instill a following and often held meetings talking about others. They need to foster a collaborative environment. It also was a very clicky environment which made employees uncomfortable.

Take a step back and learn to let go and listen to qualified and seasoned professionals rather than ignoring. Take time to get advice. Hire people smarter than you and be ok with it.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

Awesome people and work environment. Can't be the perks of their facility; yoga studio, crossfit and spin classes, full gym, etc. Good opportunities for advancement within the company for entry level positions.

Cons

Somewhat scattered and inefficient processes due to their rapid growth. Things could clearly be done a lot better and consolidated but they need to keep up with their growth however they can. Hard to progress your career after a certain point.

High pressure with ample release valves

Former Employee - Learning Specialist in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Learning Specialist in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The leadership is excellent at focusing all employees on the goals of the company as a whole. Transparency is high and everyone feels a sense of efficacy. This contributes to the high work ethic prevalent in the company. The LIFE program is amazing; employees keep happiness and health a priority because the company does the same. Now that Dealertrack has gone global with the purchase of Incadea, the sky is the limit. I'm proud to have worked here.

Cons

Much is demanded for compensation that does not seem to justify the effort, particularly customer service (Dealer Support and Digital Advisor) roles. The pressure put on most roles in the company is just barely outweighed by the amazing benefits and culture. Also, the flexible schedules come with an inability to leave work at work. Disengaging is difficult.

It seems the "work-life balance" touted from day one is beginning to slip. I heard more and more people complaining of burnout. From my perspective, the problem continues to grow without meaningful change in this area.

Great company, great culture, great engineers

Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in engineering at Dealer means coming in contact with really intelligent people who are dedicated to the craft of building great software. There are some troublesome piles of legacy code, but that's the nature of a company that's been around for 15 years. There are a lot of opportunities to learn, grow, and solve interesting problems. In my experience, developers are rarely encouraged to pursue the cheapest or crudest way to solve a problem: a good-to-great solution usually wins out.

Cons

Integrating with DealerTrack has been a confusing process. DT is a bigger company with "big company" values, which has strained some of the smaller and anti-establishment principles of Dealer.com. There's a lot of dust in the air right now, it may take a while for that to settle down.

Front-end design and development (including user interface design and usability) often takes second-seat to shipping features that can be easily marketed. Dealer.com is at a size where they can offer a really great product at a premium price-point and the money will follow, but there's still a pressure to compete feature-for-feature with other companies in the market. At times this can feel like a race to the bottom, which feels opposed to the ideals of the company.

Too much time is devoted to special one-off projects that net a pile of money. The company is at a point where it can slow down and take the time to build a really great product, and the money will flow. Commit to rewriting legacy code or just throwing it away; better to kill off a product that nobody can maintain and doesn't make money than have it hanging around like a bad smell.

Still the best place to work in Vermont

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great history. Solid salary. The benefits & perks are well known. Legendary parties. Cool team.

Cons

Too many new faces. Becoming more corporate by the day.

Remember what made the company so special to begin with.

Welcoming, friendly environment

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great. The salary is decent, management is flexible and everyone is very open and friendly!

Cons

Hard to move up/get promoted at this location (main office is in VT)

Wonderful Place To Work

Current Employee - Advertising Strategist in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Advertising Strategist in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere that encourages open discussion and sharing of knowledge

Cons

The processes for communicating through official channels is still being ironed out