Dealer.com

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about (in 7 reviews)

• Good energy and a lot of great benefits for employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Chaotic changes among departments because company is growing so fast (in 3 reviews)

• Need more employees to balance work load until then customer service will suffer (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Read this review for the truth - some negative posts have bad motives

Former Employee - MGT in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - MGT in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are too many pros to list here but I will list some things I think are important to note. When I worked at the company I had access to my CEO every Friday in an open forum, this was amazing. Most of the negative reviewers have had either no job or 1-2 before coming to dealer.com so they have no perspective what a great tech company looks and feels like or even what a great career feels like. Dealer invests huge dollars and sweat into it's staff and the benefits are so deep i would need 20 pages more to list them out! As someone that didn't quite make the cut after over 5 years I hold no grudge on the company because I wasn't quite good enough to give the results needed in my position but I was exited with compassion and full understanding and I came away better because of it! The Leadership is not a bunch of parties either, they have families and take the growth and well being of the company very seriously but yes 2 times a year they hold large concert like party and probably 99% of the company not only attends but they let loose and celebrate their successes as a team and it's magical!! Some may drink at the party but the focus is on being together, laughing dancing and just having a great time. (Not sure why this is bad??)
    The company invest hugely in training and in wellness for every employee that is willing and it's truly world class and rare! I have had 7 positions at various leading companies over the past 30 years and I have never seen such a strong commitment to employees. It's true that some middle mgt may be less experienced but the company recognized this over the last fee years and they has been working on improving that layer through training and recruitment (I should know, I was replaced and rightfully so) sometimes you just need to admit when you are not good enough to be on a specific team.

The bottom line is that dealer.com is a caring and world class company that has more ethics and compassion for it's people than any I have ever seen and they continue to grow and collect accolades as the best in their field in the world for that reason!

Most of these negative reviews are from upset former employees or current green employees that managed to interview very well but can't handle their jobs. If you are good at what you do and are a team player you will LOVE dealer.com and never want another career.

I'm sad that I can't be there but I'm very happy for the countless friendships I made and I love to see everyone when I visit.

Also some posts claim that clients are not treated well. Success, growth and thousands of raving fans can't be wrong, dealer.com is #1 in the world at what they do for a reason, don't believe a 22 year old reviewer that got fired because he/she didn't show up for work because of being hungover 1 too many times!

This is an amazing company and that's why you will continue to read more about them winning and making their employees happy and clients raving fans for years to come. PR doesn't making thousands of clients happy, great products and services do and that what this company provides.

Hope this review helped someone out there.

Cons

They sometimes need more parking spots but walking isn't so bad either.

Continue to improve mid mgt and everything will continue to be great for you!

Fun company, not many growth opportunities. Be prepared to work for someone way below your experience level.

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People outside of the clique that exists within DDC. Organic cafes, great exercise classes, good work/life balance.

Cons

Managers have been promoted above their ability level due to tenure. Have seen countless people move on from Dealer.com due to lack of growth opportunities or acknowledgment of the skills they have developed outside of the company.

There is a serious problem with partying at this company. Think high school. If you party, you're in. If you don't, you're not. Exists at all levels - absolutely applies Directors and VP's.

Stop promoting people into VP roles just because they've been with the company for several years. Drug testing might be a good idea too...

Best place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance perks available if you can take the time to take advantage of them, great rewards for hard work accomplished (fun parties, social hours, beer Fridays, etc) and love the casual/silly work culture. There is a clear career path that excites me, and management seems interested in fostering that talent.

Cons

The expectations for the metrics of my job are often overwhelming, sometimes there is no way to know how your success will be measured. I don't feel like I can take a vacation without worrying about my workload getting out of hand.

Great culture for employees, not for clients

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, cool parties and great building

Cons

No sense of urgency to get things done for clients, hard to sell a company that has a reputation for not having a quick enough turn-around time. This is the car business, dealers expect everything done in minutes not weeks!

It was sink or swim in sales. A little less time in orientation and a little more real world training would have been great. Also, do not hire under one pretense and change the job completely in 6 months. I didn't sign up for what I ultimately had to do so that's why I had to leave.

A fast-paced place to work with many benefits

Current Employee - Manager, Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Manager, Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dealer.com possesses an Innovative work environment that encourages you to be yourself. There is immense learning and development opportunities for all types of careers. It is clear, from the executive team down, that employees are highly valued and cared for.

Cons

It is a company still enduring growing pains and can often make decisions that appear arrogant. There is an attitude that anything can be accomplished, which is good, but it is often overused and leads to reorganization or sweeping process changes that are not appropriately vetted.

Be the horse, not the cheetah. Everything doesn't need to be explosively fast, sometimes slowing down a little will speed you up more long term.

Neo Sweatshop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great starting point if you're new to tech. The company has some tech cache (having recently been sold), which can add leverage when you're applying to other jobs in the field if Dealer.com is on your resume.

If you treat it like a stepping stone: get it, get skills, get out.

Cons

There's a focus on scalability that makes it feel like an assembly line sweatshop. The tasks are pretty routine after the first 3 months, so once you get the hang of it, you'll be simultaneously bored and overworked.

I've been in meetings where managers/HR have acknowledged a "burn and churn" model to hiring: it's expected that folks will stay come in wide-eyed after hearing about gym classes and organic cafes, hit "reality" when they realize the job is routine and mediocre, then burn out and exit within 3 years.

There's a significant amount of nerd bro-ing out. Like the other reviewers state, there's definitely the impression that there's a hard-partying in crowd that can accelerate your career growth if you massage the right egos.

Do some research to note the lack of women in senior management positions.

Salaries are low, but management understands there's a lack of VT tech jobs, so they have a monopoly on the VT job market, allowing them to keep wages lower than standards.

Less bros in power. Less vanity positions for incompetent early employees.

Greedy Sr Management who are amazing liars

Former Employee - Engineering Department Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Engineering Department Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got sold to Dealer Track - maybe

Cons

If you like to work smart and hard this is not the place for you.
    Leadership is rude and often unprofessional
    No consideration for quality work but if you work late and party with leaders, you are going places.
    Work space is noisy, desks small and conference rooms scarce. On top of it the new building leaks.

Hire some real professionals - your VPs, C levels have no experience outside dealer. They are ruining the company.

Don't Believe the Hype

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

There are a lot of nice people that work here who are very smart and want to succeed.

Cons

Management is terrible. If you are ambitious, be ready to have your manager constantly put you down and treat you like he does the toilet after beef burger day in the cafe every other Wednesday. You'll find you are constantly told one thing one day, and another the next. No transparency, lots of lying. There is always talk about being the best at what we do but when people take the time to make sure things are done right they are asked why the number about is low. They value quantity over quality and send out inferior products to clients then wonder why they are always having to save key accounts. Let's not forget the pay is barely livable. Dealer.com has done a wonderful job selling the public that doesn't work here, and the local media that it is the best place on earth, but if the media was actually allowed to ask a real employee what they think (we aren't allowed to speak to local media, must refer all work related stuff to PR), they might find that this place isn't anything close to what they think it is in terms of worker satisfaction.

Trim the fat. There are too many middle managers who are way passed their expiration date, who are rude and unprofessional and take advantage of the fact that they were around in "the good old days". You have a lot of young and talented people who work here, and because some management is afraid of people showing ambition, these people are stifled and become alienated, and ultimately are going to leave. This isn't what you founded your company to be. There are so many great ideas and ways Dealer.com can be even better and you have nobody speaking up because it actually hurts their career growth because of bitter and vindictive managers.

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent culture
    - Fast Growing Company
    - Solid Market Share
    - The majority of employees are great people and fun and easy to work with

Cons

- Because the company is growing so fast there are not yet established tracks for advancement. With that being said it is possible to move between departments and create your own position.

- Don't lose great culture, keep up the good work

They Put The "Cult" in Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were incredible. Most everyone in engineering wanted things to be awesome and do good work.

Salary was ok.

Non-salary benefits were good.

The founders really believe in the company

Cons

My incredible coworkers were beaten into place by awful management.

If you don't party with the big wigs, you'll never move up.

Management is so convinced it is an awesome place to work, they think nothing of ripping parents away from their kids/spouses for very very long stints - and if you don't have kids it's twice as bad.

If you complain, you will be ostracized. Working 75 hours instead of 80 because your kid is sick makes you a "slacker" to management

The cafe was nice, but is horribly expensive.

Company is horribly marketing-heavy. They sell product they don't have.

Hiring your favorite customers and putting them in charge of products is a very bad idea.

I don't think the CEO understands how his company is rotting from the bottom up. He's a nice guy.

Less managers, less marketing, more engineers, better communication.