DealerFire Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Eric Hoopman

1. Great Company, Management Listens, DealerSocket Opens Up World For Many Of Us!

Current Employee - Marketing in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at DealerFire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new office smack dab in the middle of Main Street is just breathtaking! A huge burst of wind into everyone's sails. The company is centered around the employees. I remember seeing the interns get corralled one day by a VP and he just told them how vital they were to the future innovations at DF. That was a great experience. I can recall another time hearing the office manager talk about how great her team of leaders was. At DealerFire, everyone is treated equal and everyone knows to treat our clients with that same respect. DealerSocket met with a lot of people here at the office, but not with me. Everyone i've talked to speaks highly of what DealerSocket has communicated with them and is pumped for the opportunity it is bringing them and their families. I too cannot wait to see where this company is heading and the innovations that these brilliant minds will create.

Cons

simple things like water, parking and bathrooms are a premium at DF! The company grew really fast. New diggs should sort most of that out!

Advice to Management

Don't ever forget your roots and where you came from. Keep treating people they way you have been. Other exec teams definitely want what you all have!

It has become a tech sweat shop...

Current Employee - Support in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Support in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at DealerFire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The new office on Main is nice. -Most of your coworkers are fun to work with and be around -Laid back work environment -Outside of work outings are sometimes fun

Cons

Wow, so much to say on the con side. I was really trying to be as optimistic as possible when DealerSocket came into the fray. There was a time when working here was a real pleasure, but in the post DealerSocket world, it seems that those days are long behind us. The acquisition ripped the soul out of this place for the benefit of very few while regimenting the rest of us to an enhanced yet mind numbingly monotonous role that makes the thought of showing up to work everyday a real downer. If you had any idea the sheer amount of support calls and emails I get in a day from people that are furious beyond description at DealerFire it would boggle your mind. We have had LOTS of account cancelations of late. The company got too big too fast and the level of product and services we offer has suffered immeasurably in favor of mass production. We have become just another automotive web template company that offers little real value to our customers. To the Dealer Socket people, we are simply an afterthought. We are a feather in their cap so they can say "yeah, we do that too". The pay is extremely substandard compared to similar positions elsewhere, and the work is boring and pride swallowing. I feel most sorry for the people that work in content writing. I hang out with many of them socially and to hear them describe their work day, week, month, life, makes me truly sad for them. They tend to hire many fresh grads who do not know much better and are just happy to have a 'real' job only to chew them up and spit them out. We are constantly hiring not just because we are "growing" as many people claim, but because we have had lot's of people quit. All of the most talented people over in the sales department were out the door not long after the acquisition came about, which was likely a result of trying to pay them peanuts and trying to move them all over the country just like critical staff members in other departments. They try to sugar coat things in our monthly meetings, but all of us know what is really going on. We are on a sinking ship. I could go on forever about what a disappointment this place has become as I am no longer willing to drink the kool aid. Hopefully I will find a new job soon where I am valued and given the opportunity to expand my skills.

Advice to Management

There is not really much they can do unfortunately, as they operate at the behest of Dealer Socket.

Reasonable potential depending on position, grossly uncompetitive pay beneath top-level management and officers.

Current Employee - Content Writer in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at DealerFire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DealerFire will pretty much higher anyone, so it is an easy way to get your foot in the door. Speaking generally, the co-workers are all fine people and easy to get along with. The environment is very casual and laid back, providing a very relaxed space to work in.

Cons

The day-to-day work is mindless and systematic and there is no room to move up within the company. The pay is extraordinarily low almost across the entire board. A recent acquisition by DealerSocket has led to an even higher level of inequality within the company. Essentially, if your current position doesn't directly benefit the income of the new owners, you are inconsequential. Employees have been financially bullied into either accepting cheap and frankly disgusting relocation packages, demotion, or severance packages and a good-bye smile. The overall business method is to make more money no matter the cost, even if it means overworking the already underpaid staff. My responsibilities continuously increase along with my work load without any regard for paid working hours or an increase in pay. Various financial incentives are constantly dangled in front of employees to illicit more work only to have them pulled back last minute. Company outings such as ski trips or camping weekends are used to simply distract disgruntled employees and try to make it seem like the long hours and low pay are somehow worth it. Middle management doesn't have a clue what is going on and there is little to no communication between departments. Some departments are given credit and bonuses for the work of others. Employees are not treated as people and the lower you are on the pay scale, the less you matter to those around you. The company has set up a system that works by continuously hiring kids fresh out of college who don't want to turn down that first job, even if the pay is about half of what people make in the same position elsewhere. CEO preaches of "DealerFire family values" but has thrown all of that away for a few dollars more by selling the company.

Advice to Management

No matter how many outings or "fun" things that can be planned, there is literally nothing that inspires workers in any department more than paying them fairly. Treat employees like people and not a means to an end. At this rate, a large amount of people are going to be leaving in a short period of time.

Company on the rise, though some internal communication is not what it should be.

I have been working at DealerFire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, laid back atmosphere, numerous company sponsored outings, not overly micromanaged, and a chance to learn for those interested in the internet career path.

Cons

Oftentimes it seems like communication between management and subordinates, and between departments, hampers the overall success of the company. Many individuals seem to be promoted based upon personal relationships instead of aptitude and acumen. Pay is not on par with similar positions elsewhere.

Advice to Management

A well oiled machine DF is decidedly not, but with consistent and timely effort so that everyone knows their role and is not timid about voicing their concerns , things could take a turn for the better quite rapidly. There is much to learn here, but keeping things so departmentalized does little to give overall synergy, and instead makes the outfit seem more like a gang of mercenaries. People want to expand their skill sets at any job, and there is little opportunity to do that.

Good For Entry Level

I have been working at DealerFire (More than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, casual dress code, planned activities outside of the office

Cons

Below average salary, few opportunities for advancement, less than average benefits, lack of communication between upper management and staff, false information given to employes, no follow through on promises or incentives

Advice to Management

Managment needs to listen to their employees, provide true and accurate information, too many relatives hired or employees promoted based on relationships not experience or knowledge.

Strong Products-Other Areas Need Polishing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at DealerFire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment, casual dress attire, weekly meetings, good PTO benefits, modern office feel, fun extracurricular events/games

Cons

Many false promises, below-average salary, strange reward logic, bad motivating tactics, no overtime available, offsite programmers, often times gap in communication, out of date software

Advice to Management

DealerFire needs to change their motivating tactics drastically. Employees would respond better to fair wages versus scare tactics. A lot of motivating incentives are offered to employees but are rarely carried out as stated. Hierarchy exists with upper management and family members employed by DealerFire.

8. Company On the Rise

Current Employee - Shmeative Shmeam in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Shmeative Shmeam in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at DealerFire

Pros

• Casual and comfortable working environment. • Company is growing quickly • Room for promotions, expanded roles • You work closely with everyone in the company from owner on down, get to know each other well • Company is pretty loyal to employees • Good group of people to work with • Good collection of talent to learn from • Constant challenges to keep you on your toes • Fair wages and benefits for the market/area

Cons

• Deadlines can be difficult at times • Have to change gears often as the project schedules can be switch at any moment • Clients aren't as cooperative as they should be • Its a challenge, but that might be good. • Young company moving in the right direction but still has some things to learn.

Advice to Management

I think everything is moving in the right direction and the company has made huge strides in the last couple years. Management is more than competent and good communication throughout. Seems most people are growing into their roles and and good mix of experience to young talent. It can be a challenge dealing with clients that run the gamut from obsessively nitpicking to completely disinterested in their projects. And it can be difficult to juggle projects that can change so quickly.

No reward for hard work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at DealerFire

Pros

- Fun and relaxed environment - A good entry level company into the Internet Career Path - Ability to grow in career path - Successful in its field - Vacation is earned per pay period not just at the end of your employment year - Massive company growth in the past year - Company sponsored employee outings

Cons

- Wage is not competitive compared to other companies in the same area - Often asked to work weekend shifts without any kind compensation - Hard work and being early with deadlines in completing projects does not result in any kind of reward - Poor office layout, they don't use the office space wisely and often force people to move desks to areas with much less space - 401K plan is a joke, you earn less interest percentages than any other company out there - Required to use vacation time for sick time - Senior Management often has unrealistic goals based on the product the sell - Careless spending on office trinkets that could be put to better use

Advice to Management

DealerFire is a fun place to work at, but when it comes down to working your butt off for a minimal wage compared to other companies in the area, DealerFire falls short. The benefits package you offer qualifies you to say you offer benefits, but when you do get the benefits they are not that elaborate for example the 401K plan. The return on percentage is like 1-2% over a year. I have seen it as high as 15% in six months on other 401K plans. Requiring an employee to use their vacation time when they call in sick often leaves the employee, depending on their health, at the end of the year to not be able to take a vacation. My suggestion to senior management is to be more competitive with wages in the surrounding area, go back to the drawing board with your benefits package, and utilize your office space more effectively then just transplanting people in to random spots. At this point, cubicles are not a bad idea. Also offer an incentive towards employees that have to work on a weekend. The weekend shift is voluntary, but everyone is required to sign up for at least two shifts how is that voluntary? And lastly, set realistic goals based on the technology and the employees that you have.

Doing the work of 4, for little pay

I worked at DealerFire

Pros

Casual environment You'll learn a lot in a short amount of time Loads of responsibility, as long as management trusts you.

Cons

Poor communication. Management has an unrealistic view of daily project/workload capabilities of employees. Instead of following project planning best practices, they chase the newest bright shiny objects/trends. Non-existent pricing structure. Non-existent employee policies and procedures. High employee turnover. Promise things to customers and don't follow through. Does not have the proper infrastructure in place to sustain a profitable agency.

Advice to Management

Realize the areas that you are lacking. Trust your professional employees to do professional work, and follow their advice in areas you know nothing about. Pay a proper wage to those who have the experience and have earned it. Look into leadership development courses for owner/top management/directors. Invest in an educated and seasoned Sales manager who can guide & act as a leader to the salesforce.

11. Really good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tashkent (Uzbekistan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tashkent (Uzbekistan)

I worked at DealerFire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Experienced developers - Awesome environment - Good people

Cons

- internet was lagging but its okay now

RSS Feed </> Embed