DealerRater Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Gary Tucker

Leading edge, forward-thinking and fast growing company.

Current Employee - Humbled Contributor
    Current Employee - Humbled Contributor

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fast growing company that has many new employees this year. This is a company that very frequently promotes from within creating new career opportunities at a quick pace. The culture allows some structure while allowing employees to expand their creative talents. The company is well respected in the market and industry.

Cons

The building is so cool to work in, I love coming to work everyday. Being a nicely renovated older building creates temperature variances that require having a sweater handy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing upper management. The focus on growth will allow others and myself to advance our careers, compensation and utilize our talents.

Love my job at DealerRater

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

I've been working at DealerRater over 3 years. The people are hard working, fun and inspiring. There's the ability to grow into new roles and we have a suggestion box that is taken very seriously. Management is always willing to listen to new ideas and they care about my growth and happiness.

Cons

It's a beautiful old building, very retro, with high ceilings, so it can get rather chilly in the building.

Amazing company

I worked at DealerRater

Pros

I still would not change a thing about the experience. There are no mistakes only experiences. It is a private company run by a visionary so if his vision does not match my own and the efforts I put in, it was best we parted ways. Unfortunately, and sadly enough if the management is not doing it intentionally it is quite telling about the culture created to see all the success franchise markets have while you bask in the glory of looking for a crumb or two - not of pizza though - thankfully there is enough of that to relieve frustration.

Cons

I wonder though if the CEO and owner realize the incessant rubbing of ones nose in others' victories in the franchise market is not really affirming and breeds contempt against those who do less intense work or come and go at their leisure but poke fun at you.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words - mine as well as yours.

5. Accounting Department

I worked at DealerRater

Pros

Working for this team changed my life and opened doors for me that I couldn't have imagined. I am sincerely grateful for the management in this team, specifically Dana, who gave me the chance to start my career in accounting. Not only did they take care of me, they taught me everything I know. If you work for this team, consider yourself lucky as they don't take in everyone. They will take care of you and teach you things that are required for a future accountant.

Cons

Some meetings weren't necessary and the trophy award based off performance were kind of off. Thank god Dana gave us our own performance reviews because she knew about the hard work accounting actually did.

6. Excellent Company Positioned for High Performance and Growth

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater

Pros

DealerRater is a fantastic company. It is laser focused on providing a superior product and service to its customers and it is predominantly filled with people who consistently go above and beyond. Sure, there are long hours, but the company makes real effort to help with work/life balance. Weekly lunches, a free and fully stocked snack bar, an incredible work environment with an onsite gym (in the Watch Factory in Waltham), and a new summer program that allows for "Flex Fridays." Basically, every other week you get 5 days of work completed in 4 days and then take that Friday off. Excellent benefits, too. Culture is relaxed but intense, and overall, fun. A priority is placed on training and personal development. Great people, great products.

Cons

Can't really think of much in terms of downside. Worst I can come up with is sometimes the traffic in Waltham can be rough, but it's not too bad.

Working at DealerRater

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team. Employees are appreciated and heard. Work life balance is terrific. The employees are TOP shelf!

Cons

Commute being in Waltham can be misery

8. Great Managers in Product

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has the best of what makes working for a start-up great without the insecurity or insane hours and the best of what working for an established company great without the politics. This includes being within reach to upper management, free snacks and 1x week catered lunches, great work-life balance, and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Focus is on the 20-something employee and making them happy including happy hours etc.

9. Wouldn't trade the opportunity for anything else

Former Employee - DXT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - DXT in Chicago, IL

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spontaneously moved half way across the country and stumbled upon a job posting at a company known as, DealerRater. I came in for the interview- absolutely crushed it and got the job. I started at the company as an implementation specialist. After about 8 months I was promoted to what is known as DXT (Dealer Experience Team) advisor which focuses on retention and long term relationship growth with a Book-of-business of 1000+ clients. The office is a place full of bright and fun-loving individuals. They work well at their job and [for the most part] enjoy coming into an office that shares in a mutual spirit. It really started to feel like a close knit family that was all in to work towards a common goal. The "smaller" office ( <75 people) make it a nice place to come in and work with people who can become friends. Hell, even after my departure, I have kept in touch with many of the people I used to work with. I feel that wouldn't happen just anywhere.

Cons

In my role, I absolutely became burnt out. I talk to my old man often and say, "I don't think there is a single person on this tiny blue planet that doesn't get burnt out by retention work." You become the "heel" of the company in my eyes. I started to lose focus thus ending in my departure from a great company. but enough about me. This section is about the company. I'm not going to forth willingly talk poorly or create outstanding cons about a place that took me in with open arms. Sure I was burnt out, but alas, short-sighted emotional retribution shall not be reprised here. DealerRater is a business built on reviews, specifically in the automotive industry. Reviews are the company's "bread and butter" and in my time their I saw a LOT of reviews and shook my head at the stupidity some humans possess in writing their response(s) to an experience. At DealerRater, it is coached that the review tell their story. My story is nothing but true enjoyment for coming into the office mixed with the trivial, mind-numbing work of retention. I have given the company a 4 because I am not going to review the company on my own battle with an exhausting position. The position wasn't right for me; however, the office was a place I absolutely enjoyed walking into every morning. Something that did legitimately grind my gears was the way the quarterly bonus structure was taken away. Not necessarily that it was taken away but how a substantial amount of money was taken from the livelihood of myself as well as my team and how our management would smile and tell us our way of making up some of that cheese was through the price increase (management should know what I mean here). I thought that was a load of crock. It was a LOT of money that helped influence my move to that position. We all relied on that money. Then we were expected to take on much more work. Backwards login in my opinion.

Advice to Management

There's a strange narrative in play with the company. With there being no true "middle management," with the exception of maybe a few individuals there really isn't any room for growth. Hey, I completely understand that that is going to come with a small company. My disconnect with the narrative is how you, "only want people to develop and grow, gain skills in order to move to a different opportunity" but then want people to stay in their role that won't grow into anything by adding surface level perks that create a good work environment (snack bar, suggestion box, flex fridays etc). I can't necessarily wrap my head around that. The three facets of the "playbook" being: customers, stakeholders, and employees- I still feel there is work to be done in the third area. Absolutely great progress has been made and I think Gary and the team will continue to make strides!

Poor Management of Sales People & Territory's Assigned

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product helps client. Good people work here. Catered lunch on Mondays. Great benefits. Office is very retro. Co workers are friendly, always willing to help out.

Cons

Low base along with mismanaged territory assignment sets you up to fail. When a person leaves the company, rather than reassign the territory, it is left orphaned. Micro-management for number of calls vs. quality. Constant lowering price on product devalues the offering. There is no work / Life balance here. You will be asked to work Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Chip - Look into the sales department and how the territory's has been assigned and distributed. There are many Orphaned states no one can actively work. Most importantly raise the base before more people leave the company.

Come work for DealerRater if you want no work life balance!

Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – Free on-site gym membership, catered lunches on Monday & benefits from day one.

Cons

Come work for DealerRater! We are hiring anything with a pulse and telemarketing experience for our Sales team. We don’t mind if you don’t have automotive industry experience, or related online advertising/digital marketing experience, we will train you! Although our training is mundane and outdated, and performed by a manager who has never sold the product, we will train you to sell our online reputation product. For our Client Services and Customer Service teams, if you brown nose certain managers and go out for weekly drinks, you will surely receive a promotion within months of being hired! We are inconsistent in our policies and pricing, and if you make 40+ calls per day you will be a super star regardless if you hit quota! Forget about prospecting your territory before calling into clients, its more important to make large quantities of calls versus quality calls according to our metrics plan. We've designed our compensation plan to include an unrealistic quota, below industry average base salary plus monthly commissions. This is not your everyday sales job; you will be expected to work more than 50 hours per week, put in the time on nights and weekends, even holidays. If you enjoy being micromanaged extensively, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Pay attention when employee's both tenured and new provide insight into the actions of certain upper level managers. From an employee perspective, it seems you are turning a blind eye and don't value your employees opinions when they bring up their concerns.

RSS Feed </> Embed