DealerSocket

www.dealersocket.com

DealerSocket Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Jonathan Ord

Lots of travel, be prepared to share a hotel room with grown men.

Strategic Services Consultant (Former Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsBenefits include reward points for airlines, hotels and car rental companies.

ConsThere is not a lot of room for growth in the company. This is kind of a dead end job unless you are a favorite of upper management.

Temporary, stressful, not great overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Benefits, perks, etc are pretty decent

-Most of the people are good to work with.

-If you work as a consultant you get to work from home most of the time or in a certain area. You don't have too many people looking over your shoulder and critiquing every detail you do on a day by day basis.

-The yearly consultant retreats are always a good time.

Cons- High turnover rate overall. Losing a ton of veteran employees now. Hint hint.

-They may say there is a lot of growth opportunity but it is very hard to do so especially as a consultant.

- Execution of new releases are done poorly causing a lot of headaches for us.

- The management, director and overall all higher up roles are basically all filled by those of the Mormon faith.

- In turn, If you are LDS(Mormon) you seem to get better treatment/care. So, if you are not you feel less important, less cared for.

-HR is not great. You feel like you are beat down or scolded when you ask about anything.

-They seem to hire anyone they can with a degree and the training is rush. This in turns leads to poorly trained employees.

-They stress to you you will have a good work/life balance ratio yet the expectations they give you and the lack of time to do it in has that balance extremely skewed towards more work and less life.

-The majority of the new hires seem to be from BYU, another LDS heavy school or friends of the family and that tends to lead to more favoritism.

-They are constantly trying to bring on as many new dealerships as they can as fast as they can to grow. We are getting more dealerships then we have consultants to handle them. In turn it adds more work on us and we can't handle them all. Then when the dealerships leave it is almost always blamed on the consultant.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you care a bit more about those of the non-Mormon religion, stop with the favoritism. Increase training efficiency and quit trying to rush that process. If you want to say there is a good work/life balance then change the processes to make it so. Quit trying to gain as many dealerships as you can when there are so many broken processes within the company.

Frustration, stress and complete lack of care...

Anonymous (Current Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsFun industry, 24 Hour next door and a ping pong table

Cons- Extremely bad management, worst VP of Engineering and Directors I have ever worked with.

- Horrible planning from Directors. They never have a game plan nor do they stick to one.

- Hard work is never given praise

- New company policies turning the place from a nice fun environment to a boring lame politically run corporation

- The best of the best are not rewarded for their hard work or extra contributions to the company. In turn they are morally beat down and end up leaving. So the best leave and the worst stay.

- Bad environments to work in. Horrible broken legacy code, bad planning process and engineers that have no business working in the industry leading the way.

- Dreadfully awful benefits. 450+ employees with insanely crap medical, dental and vision.

- WORST HR I'VE EVER SEEN. Incompetent, lazy and useless are just a few words to start describing HR.

- Completely stupid deployments. Late night deployments with expected late night phone calls to fix others bad code issues.

- Massive QA department, customer support and builders that could be cut in half and still over staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. You have no skill in certain areas and need to allow them to do their jobs. Take planning lessons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a job, not a career. Get some experience and get out.

Pros(This feedback is for a technical role and doesn't necessarily reflect the sales or strategic services departments or leadership)
    - Engineering sets its technical goals high. You will likely get exposed to a variety of technologies.
    - It's easy to get a job in Customer Support. Not a knock on the staff. Previous experience really isn't required.
    - Jonathan is a very driven leader and likable guy. Feel free to approach him.
    - If you're LDS (Mormon), you will have additional opportunities open to you.
    - San Clemente is a nice town. It's at the far end of Orange County, but you can eat lunch at the beach.
    - Employee HMO and Dental premiums are covered.
    - Recent acquisition may mean a needed dose of corporate maturity is on the way.
    - Company events, while scarce, seem to get better and better
    - 24 Hour Fitness next door
    - New building with game ("Recharge") room and large lunch room.
    - Vending machines with $.25 sodas

Cons- Management is mostly made up of two types: 1) Friends of the top brass and 2) early hires who are tenured by default. Because of this, some do not have the technical knowledge of their subordinates.
    - It's easy to get a job. Hiring could be more stringent.
    - Obvious favoritism toward fellow LDS. Good for you if you're in the club.
    - Turnover has been high (good news for you, if you're looking for a job). We've been losing long-time, quality employees.
    - Do not believe the "work/life balance" speech. If you are in a technical role, work will be your life. Expect long hours and no overtime.
    - Pay is below average. Negotiate hard out of the gate because you won't get a big jump later.
    - Benefits are sub-par. Matching the 401k or additional insurance premium subsidies would go a long way.
    - After all these years we are still hiring our friend's kids. Please stop that. We aren't a start-up anymore.
    - To many managers, failure is not an option. They don't handle it well. You will learn to fear failure.
    - This is not a place of innovation. The development disposition is reactive and often imitates. This is an unfortunate top-down tenet.
    - Training and furthering your education are on you. Do not expect help here.
    - Development process is often hectic and results in half-baked code going into production. Job security for customer support when the phones light up.
    - Communication is very poor. We were recently acquired. Employees are not kept in the loop.
    - Once you leave the company, you're dead to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus on your employees. Draw them in and show them that they are appreciated. Buying them with a party or leftover t-shirts is not what I am talking about.

Horribly Run Engineering Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-There are *some* very good people working there.
    -Close to the beach.
    -Easy to get a job. They are always hiring to replace employees who leave.

Cons-Poorly designed/written code makes up most of their products. The amount of legacy code is comparable to that of a company three times as old.
    -High Turnover. Good people leave fast, bad people never leave and never get fired.
    -No training. Very little time allowed to come up to speed on their code.
    -Rigid SDLC. They do Scrum in the worst possible way. Developer time estimates aren't respected and are generally pre-defined by Product Owners and Management. Burning hours is the priority, not writing good code.
    -Constant emergencies. Support staff escalates EVERYTHING as critical. To get something moved out of the sprint to make room for these critical work items is really hard to do. They *expect* you put in extra hours to make up for it.
    -Night time deployments that take SEVERAL hours. Entire engineering staff is expected to be available to resolve deployment issues.
    -Work/life balance is terrible.
    -The company was founded by Mormons and nearly all leadership positions are occupied by Mormons. This, in and of itself, isn't good or bad but there is definitely a cliquey culture revolving around members of that church. It's an EOE problem waiting to happen.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop making your Marketing department write five star reviews on Glassdoor.

Good, but not great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsYoung culture, growing company, next door to 24 hour fitness

ConsWork in sales if you want to receive decent compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing I could say that you would care to hear.

Company that has great opportunities

Pros-There have been a lot of opportunities to grow with this company. As it has gotten larger.
    -The new building is very nice.
    -Bagel Fridays
    -Allowed to wear shorts.
    -CEO is a great guy who anyone would be happy to work for.

Cons-Being a very quickly growing company there are a lot of people in management/ executive positions who do not have the skill sets required for those positions. Which has lead to quite a few bad processes and micro managing.
    -HR is unapproachable.

Advice to Senior Management-Try to bring benefits up to par with other similar companies in the area. You always tell us how you want to be the #1 desired place to work in Orange county but your benefits and insurance plans are lacking.
    -There are several "favorites" in the company that get special treatment which is very visible to everyone else in the company and it leads to low morale.

Successful company to work for that cares about their people.

Strategic Services Consultant (Current Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsOpportunities to advance, you manage your own time and schedule once in a territory, good pay when you take into account the quarterly bonus structure which can be up to 10% of your base salary paid out every quarter, great company culture, paid relocation, generous annual raise as long as you are performing, family oriented company.

ConsMid-size company that is struggling to overcome their "start up" way of doing things. Experiencing tremendous growth which they are struggling to keep up with as a result everyone is stretched pretty thin. With the increased growth they are more desperate for bodies, as a result they seem to have lowered their hiring standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing so far it is working. Also, be a little bit more picky about who you hire. There are a ton of new hires that haven't panned out, or they are still with us but performing poorly, and it's affecting our business.

Lack of engineering excellence

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Clemente, CA

Pros- Lots of projects
    - Complex technical challenges and learn something new everyday
    - Bagel Fridays
    - Once a year company party.
    - Company is doing well and sales team is selling product well.

Cons- Don't get valued or rewarded for the work you do i.e. a heroic effort that saved company thousands of dollar is not recognized.
    - Company does not have a lot of technically sound engineers
    - High turnover rate
    - A lot of engineers just want their work to be done and does not care about quality
    - Some of the Engineering manager are working remotely
    - Internal politics
    - Lot of work is done offshore and you may be just working on fixing their code
    - Not a place where you can grow

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employee for what skill he/she has and not just basis of how well he/she socialize or being a member of family or of same religion.

Great place to work

Executive Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsDealerSocket is a great company to work for. Management really cares for its employees. Fun work environment. Easy to stand behind a product that makes a difference for dealers.

ConsIn 3 buildings but moving into a large new building in October 2012

Advice to Senior ManagementTuition Reimbursement, Management Path Programs

Worked for DealerSocket? Contribute to the Community!