DealerSocket

Jonathan Ord

Agile Development and Management that Cares

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at companies with very small and disorganized engineering departments, this company was a breath of fresh air. Job duties are well-defined, so engineers can focus on coding. Requirements and goals are clearly laid out or can be found out quickly, so you know how well you're doing and what you should be aiming for.

The company recently started a training program for any new engineer hire, which looks quite comprehensive. They also encourage study groups and provide books for learning. Hard work is acknowledged, though it helps if you happen to work on a highly visible feature.

The company is going through some changes and growing pains, and as a result some of the employees have developed a negative view of management. In reality, the management really cares about the employees and is striving to make decisions that benefit employees' daily experiences, improve the development process, as well as improve the code quality.

Cons

The benefits offered are the bare minimum one would expect from a full-time job even though the company is doing quite well. Morale is currently low. There isn't much room for moving into managerial roles if that is what you're looking for.

Show the employees how much you care about their contributions to the company's success by reintroducing bonuses, increasing PTO, adding 401k matching, and maybe even subsidizing some of the cost of the new medical coverage; stop focusing so much on rules, regulations, and dress codes.

Fantastic grounds for growth

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, fair compensation, fun culture, great opportunity to grow my skills

Cons

Limited benefits for families, unclear/unavailable path to management level

Deliver more personal value to employees, especially scrummasters

Great company culture - growing quickly

Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture - CEO and leadership team are truly engaged the best interest of the employees as well as the growth of the company in the automotive marketplace.

Cons

With rapid growth comes growing pains. Post new hire training could be more comprehensive, though it may have changed since I went through it.

Continue to stay close to to employees post training

Good people, Good culture

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have had nothing but a good experience with all personnel at Dealersocket. Upper management to customer service reps, everyone has been incredibly friendly.
    They offered good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Growing pains are definitely being felt but good opportunities will come of it.
    There is drama between certain people in every company.

More communication.

Growth Equals Potential

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Lets set the record straight that there has been no one in my department or others that have told me or anyone else to write a positive review. When you love the company that you work for and see bad reviews it's natural to want to go to bat for them and tell why you love it.

--Recently partnered with a innovative private equity firm that is working hand in hand with our execs to send the company to the next level.

--You will NEVER find a better group of people to work for or with.

--Work life balance is preached and it's your fault if you're not managing that well.

--Company culture is great!

All around you will be hard pressed to find a better company that cares for you and your family like DealerSocket does.

Cons

There are negatives in ANY job. Such is life. The questions that you really need to ask yourself is does this job have more or less negatives than others and can I live with them? For me the answer has always been less negatives and I can 100 percent live with them.

Continue to focus on the vision that you now have in "We Are Automotive" but do it while keeping the DS culture and values where they always have been!

Fantastic People - Excellent Products - Approve of CTO

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with every day are intelligent, supportive, collaborative types. I simply present a problem to the development team and the ideas start flowing. Stakeholders and management are typically easy to work with and appreciate knowledgeable people. It makes it easy to be yourself here. The market we're in is super dynamic too which is a lot of fun!

The CTO takes time to spitball ideas with you and still has major part in product vision. It is very refreshing for me to have C-level management really care about the products.

The product is market-leading and poised to dominate in 2015.

I have received more training here than I did in the last 6 years at my previous company. The executives want you to be well equipped.

We work hard but we also play sports during breaks, regularly have team lunches and parties and rarely have to stay late.

All-in-all this is a a great place to work!!!

Cons

The office has high cubicles which make it a little harder to collaborate....I prefer a slightly more open space. There are a lot of meeting rooms but its not the same.

The health benefits need some work but I hear that's changing so I'm optimistic!

HR is not easy to approach. They seem to dislike the employees which is totally OPPOSITE from the rest of the culture. This could be because there is one person trying to manage way too much. Who knows.

Improve the health benefits - I hear this daily and know some employee's spouses/families are not using our insurance but rather using Affordable Care Act plans.

Beef up HR so employees with issues feel like they have an ear to bend. The execs have an open door policy but sometimes employees don't want to bother you with things they think may be 'petty'. They'd go to HR though :)

Allow floating holidays to occur when the employee desires. The policy we have is bit odd.

Keep up the great work!!!

Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Please stop writing negative reviews on dealersocket. It is going to hurt the company's reputation! We need to get the best and the brightest in here and like it or not, people look at this!

A senior VP of Engineering just departed, which is unfortunate. He was doing a great job.

Lots of opportunities here. Too many people complaining which is also unfortunate. That definitely needs to change.

Great place to work. Excellent work/life balance. Great products and opportunities to work on many different technologies. Will never get bored, there are so many products, and it is a "platform" company, which is rare.

Cons

Too much negativity. Also some could find some of the code to be outdated.

Huge Potential

Current Employee - Sales in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company with growing opportunities. Just took on a new financial partner that is pouring a ton of money into the company with the goal to grow. They promote from within. Great training program (12 weeks long). Upper level management is involved in the day to day which is unique from other companies I have worked at.

Cons

There are currently a lot of changes due to a new financial partner, but that isn't necessarily bad.

A good place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Support Representative in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Support Representative in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

DealerSocket is one of the leaders in the automotive cdm space.
    Has a lot of dealers on the product.
    Recently partnered with a Private Equity Firm and looking into future acquisition to grow company.
    Fun and Relaxed work environment.
    CEO is trusting and has open door policy.
    Long training.
    New Building, growing into other locations
    Bagel Fridays.
    Game room with Ping Pong, TVs and bean bags.
    24 hour fitness next door.

Cons

Could offer higher compensation and clearer instructions on pathways to climb ladder.
    Job satisfaction is based on department. Downstair is sales and looks like they are always having a good time and enjoy coming to work. Upstairs in a little different. Support is an entry level job that can get you into the company but you have to deal with customers on the front line which can be frustrating to some. Consultants travel a lot and get lots of business experience but often feel they are on their own out in territory. Development is doing a good job at building new code and features but because of old code often needs fixing. Saw a preview of DealerSocket 2.0 and it looks pretty good. Since they are building it on new code it should be pretty good.
    There is also a lawsuit going on with a competitor who thinks they have a patent on an automating a business process which 4 or 5 other companies do as well. It is only one part of our products and either way shouldn't affect us although management has told us it is something we should win.
    A lot of people seem to be leaving in a time in my oppinion most should be sticking around to see what the future holds. Not sure why the last couple reviews have been so negative. I enjoy my job and hope to have a long career here.

If there is an issue at the company, I would suggest trying to figure it out and fix it asap before it grows. There are things we do really well at but there are also things that need to change and hope management is aware and willing to change.

Great company!

I worked at DealerSocket

Pros

I worked at DealerSocket for several years and appreciate all the company offered me on a professional level. From the upper management who were and are extremely easy to talk to, to the HR dept who made my life a little easier and was always there to listen or help out when needed - this company cares about their employees and it shows. Their marketing department is amazing and quite unique! Anyone in the marketing field would be lucky to work in that dept! The Sales department are in a class of their own!

Cons

Because it is a fast growing company there are a need for additional resources..

DealerSocket Photos