DealerSocket

Jonathan Ord

Fantastic grounds for growth

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, fair compensation, fun culture, great opportunity to grow my skills

Cons

Limited benefits for families, unclear/unavailable path to management level

Deliver more personal value to employees, especially scrummasters

Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and ..decision is Quit their Engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bagel Friday.....Unknown brand meaning there is no brand name, not tasty. No one eats it.

Cons

I worked for Dealersocket only for 5 months and finally i ended up landing hospital and diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Every day was problem with too much work load, people with poor technical knowledge. Oh Boy.. Finally i departed. 50% of their engineering do Spy work. So most of their work load was put on nice working people. Finally it is a mess up. Worst experience dealing with college co-op kids, Fresh school kids. No one bachelors or masters. Poorly written code, so difficult to understand. Stole patent(code) from other company.I was told more than 100,000 lines of code were stolen from their competitors. So going under lawsuit... might end of with bad judgement.... i dont want to be part of such company where there is no ethics and confidence of building technology.... not worth staying in Dealersocket engineering.....bad experience...

Bring nice people to upper level. Positive attitude...no bad mouthing. Stop yelling during 1:1. Stop Threatening during 1:1.

Churn and burn thanks for the resume builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome colleagues! Great place to learn and grow your career.

Seen some people with little experience start from the bottom and work themselves much higher with a much more rich skill set.

There are some that like to complain that they aren't considered for higher roles but usually the difference is hustle and hard work. Sometimes it's bias.

Cons

Because most have grown with the company most managers were never managers before so they have to learn as they go. This can be hard on those answering to these inexperienced managers.

DealerSocket is anything but transparent. We were promised lots of great new health benefits with our new majority owners taking the reigns. Ended up with much more expensive healthcare and dental and vision than in the past. Especially if you have a family and even more so if you are looking to have a child soon.

Engineers aren't bonused at all. Just salary. But than c level execs tout our massive sales growth and revenue. Most engineers are deflated and I believe the majority are looking for other jobs and will leave when their offer letters come. Many talented great people. But turnover is really bad.

I'm just building my resume at this point and hoping to get a job elsewhere soon.

I just gave it four stars so it's more likely to be featured. The more common low ratings are usually buried regardless of how new it was.

Care about your employees. Ignore your new owners a little bit and care for your people. If you do they will perform better and then you get better return on their work. Don't hire from beneath all the time. Hire from outside too to bring best practices in instead of just continuing to use the regurgitated management style of "need to know" basis directives. Get your people involved to get more engagement and better results and happier employees. Reward your employees financially. Helps build a sense of pride in the work we do.

Strong company

Current Employee - Strategic Services Consultant in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Services Consultant in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Strong company with sound management, positive work-, life-balance culture and strong growth strategy

Cons

Needs more group-think collaboration between departments

Great company culture - growing quickly

Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture - CEO and leadership team are truly engaged the best interest of the employees as well as the growth of the company in the automotive marketplace.

Cons

With rapid growth comes growing pains. Post new hire training could be more comprehensive, though it may have changed since I went through it.

Continue to stay close to to employees post training

Poor Performance, Lawsuit, Bad Management, inexperience engineering dev & qa

Current Employee - Developer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Friday(not a branded one). I could not think of pros. Car wash...($20/wash)....

Cons

Company stole the code(patents) from another comp by hiring one of their employees, Google can give you lawsuit information. Poor Engineering dept. All inexperienced people. Old Code breaks. Total profit in 2013 was $30k. One of their employees took a snapshot this figure during slideshow of company meeting and he was cornered/troubled in few months. Is this fare? and Can you believe this attitude. Do you see any future in this company. Bad management. Too much of talking/beating back. Too many spy agents. Your next cube might be a spy agent. Inexperienced people already took management positions. So you cannot become a lead/manager unless you are close to top people, best spy. All cheating/acting smart people in the company. Offshore sucks, they selected a bad vendor. too much of trouble from their offshore. No 401k matching. Their HMO medical for family costs $750/month. Very less vacation/holiday. Still start up with direction of where it is heading. Not a cutting edge technology to work with. Their customers even call on Sunday and threaten to cancel the subscription of their product since they break several times a day. Not a public company, only two people own this company and they dont show any accounts to employees like EBITDA. Because they control over accounts dept/finance. It is all Gimmicks by owners. They talk nice in the company meetings. No more bonus. Senior people who worked for more than 10 yrs are still in lower level positions bcos they are not close to upper management and they are not spying agents and rubbing jobs. They are honest and hard working who built their applications from scratch... this is the situation.....

Show positive attitude. No threatening. Show good leadership to employees. No layoff. Bring Good Benefits...remove bad engineering management people who show no leadership. Listen to people who have knowledge of technical know-how and leadership.

Good people, Good culture

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have had nothing but a good experience with all personnel at Dealersocket. Upper management to customer service reps, everyone has been incredibly friendly.
    They offered good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Growing pains are definitely being felt but good opportunities will come of it.
    There is drama between certain people in every company.

More communication.

Growth Equals Potential

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Lets set the record straight that there has been no one in my department or others that have told me or anyone else to write a positive review. When you love the company that you work for and see bad reviews it's natural to want to go to bat for them and tell why you love it.

--Recently partnered with a innovative private equity firm that is working hand in hand with our execs to send the company to the next level.

--You will NEVER find a better group of people to work for or with.

--Work life balance is preached and it's your fault if you're not managing that well.

--Company culture is great!

All around you will be hard pressed to find a better company that cares for you and your family like DealerSocket does.

Cons

There are negatives in ANY job. Such is life. The questions that you really need to ask yourself is does this job have more or less negatives than others and can I live with them? For me the answer has always been less negatives and I can 100 percent live with them.

Continue to focus on the vision that you now have in "We Are Automotive" but do it while keeping the DS culture and values where they always have been!

Fantastic People - Excellent Products - Approve of CTO

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with every day are intelligent, supportive, collaborative types. I simply present a problem to the development team and the ideas start flowing. Stakeholders and management are typically easy to work with and appreciate knowledgeable people. It makes it easy to be yourself here. The market we're in is super dynamic too which is a lot of fun!

The CTO takes time to spitball ideas with you and still has major part in product vision. It is very refreshing for me to have C-level management really care about the products.

The product is market-leading and poised to dominate in 2015.

I have received more training here than I did in the last 6 years at my previous company. The executives want you to be well equipped.

We work hard but we also play sports during breaks, regularly have team lunches and parties and rarely have to stay late.

All-in-all this is a a great place to work!!!

Cons

The office has high cubicles which make it a little harder to collaborate....I prefer a slightly more open space. There are a lot of meeting rooms but its not the same.

The health benefits need some work but I hear that's changing so I'm optimistic!

HR is not easy to approach. They seem to dislike the employees which is totally OPPOSITE from the rest of the culture. This could be because there is one person trying to manage way too much. Who knows.

Improve the health benefits - I hear this daily and know some employee's spouses/families are not using our insurance but rather using Affordable Care Act plans.

Beef up HR so employees with issues feel like they have an ear to bend. The execs have an open door policy but sometimes employees don't want to bother you with things they think may be 'petty'. They'd go to HR though :)

Allow floating holidays to occur when the employee desires. The policy we have is bit odd.

Keep up the great work!!!

Great culture

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

The people in the company are great. Everyone is very positive and supportive. The company does its best to take care of its employees and tries to give everyone opportunities to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between departments, but that does seem to be improving. Sometimes it feels like adding as much new money to the books as possible is the only thing that matters and customer/employee retention takes a back seat.

DealerSocket Photos