Dealertrack Technologies
www.dealertrack.com Lake Success, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014
Dealertrack Technologies – Lake Success – “Pat Miller python meetup”

Dealertrack Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mark F. O'Neil

Mark F. O'Neil

Pros:
  • "Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fast paced and high growth an ever changing dynamic company"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Middle management at times does not want to be accountable"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One of the best companies to work for on Long Island

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement is understanding of work/life balance.
Benefits are better then most companies I have worked for.
Management lets their staff get there work done with little opposition or micro-management.

ConsOffice Space needs to be revamped (2 years till new building)
Some staff and management suffer from over analysis.

much potential falls very short...hugely missed opportunity to be a great company

Corporate (Former Employee)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Prossome work flexibility, good compensation

Consmanagement very disconnected from staff. Appears many in management can't or don't understand the technology and/or what it takes to build it and attempt to have the bean counters manage it. They have missed the point entirely and seem to quantify their attempts at communication rather than actually communicate and listen and respond meaningfully. Not sure upper management has really been in the rank and file. Also, Terrible on-boarding of new or acquired personnel.

Advice to Senior Managementdo a role swap. make the attempt to understand both sides of the equation. It will be a true eye opener...that is if they really want to see. also try adding some cultural diversity at the C and sub C level.

A job not a career

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDealertrack has cash and they are buying a number of companies. DT has had spotty success in making these acquisitions successful; however, the overall vision is sound.

Cons*If you accept a position with DT be ready to embrace change or you will have a tough time. *DT recently began to focus on acquiring individuals from other companies which has left little room for upward movement.
*Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational. My advice here is to accept it and move on.
*DT has struggled with the service aspect of the business and today service is a primary focus of the sales team.
*DT roughly doubled their sales presence in the field with 2014. Their will be significant attrition due in part to the sheer numbers of new employees and the changing role of sales to sales/service.

Advice to Senior ManagementA CEO surrounds himself with a team of individuals who become a direct reflection of the CEO. If a CEO truly wants to understand their business they should seek to do that outside the scope of the filter of their direct reports.

Good company if you are not in IT

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

ProsGood benefits. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Great coworkers. Pretty flexible with hours. If your field is not technologically based I would recommend Dealertrack.

ConsDealertrack is not a technology company. They acquire technology companies. Technological decisions are made by management and not by the engineers. Bad practices/solutions will be decided on by management and will be implemented by technology, Not a fun place if you like being creative or designing the best solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the engineering to the engineers.

They don't care about team members even though they say they do. Execs are the only ones paid well.

Cannot Disclose (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCoworkers, friendly, balance, team work, fun

ConsVery Low pay. Management is aware that we are under paid and do nothing, or say that it's out of their hands...but they're cashing out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will continue to lose your best people because you don't pay market rate.

Fast-growing company with great benefits, grueling work schedule, no work/life balance.

Field Installer (Current Employee)
South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsRapid promotions, but considering the unpaid overtime, you are actually taking a pay cut to move to a lead position. Excellent 401k plan and employer contribution %, but contribution is limited to 40 hrs/week (you regularly work 60+ hrs/week). Excellent health/benefits plan that is almost impossible to use due to the demanding work schedule.
Well organized and flexible travel dept. Frequent schools/training - unfortunately often inadequate/ineffective for real-world application. Strong bonus based on company performance (not individual contribution). Public recognition of top performers but no money to go with it.

ConsMediocre pay and small increases. Untenable work hours/expectation (consistently 60+/week). No respect for your personal time (you are expected to respond even when off duty), or needs (Dr/DDS appt, sick time, family, community service/volunteer work. etc). The company touts work/life balance but runs you 60+ hours a week, every week; Sunday travel nearly every week, usually returning home late Friday eve, you may get 36 hours at home before the next trip. The company has no concern for your health/stress or personal life/obligations/goals. Huge discrepancy between the treatment of home office personnel and field personnel. Overtime is paid at 1/2 time (not 1.5x) and you are expected to participate in after-hours webinars, meetings, and self-training without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your people as human beings (just like you). They have lives outside of Dealertrack

Support Specialist

Client Support Agent (Current Employee)
Remote, OR

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRemote opportunities, growing company, good benefits

ConsPay is a little low.

Exciting & Progressive Technology Company Ready To Take On The World

Outside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsA fantastic, ever-changing work environment where the brain power of the people is recognized as our greatest asset. Expansion and growth presents nearly unlimited opportunities to those willing to work for it.

ConsA fantastic, ever-changing work environment which is not the place for anyone who does not embrace change while remaining cognizant of the challenges inherent in a fast moving technology company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConstantly seek improvement in yourselves and your ability to manage others through motivating and supporting your team. Some are better than others so keep the best and cull the rest.

Team is amazing, Company Vision is Great

Senior Performance Engineer (Current Employee)
Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible and Understandable team, Self-Responsible so low stress, Better Benefits than most others.

ConsNon-Technical Managers Managing, Being Partial, not enough top down communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgile completely wrongly practiced, please make sure enough space and time is given to all types of employees to perform their individual contribution, NOT just developers.

Great

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work long term

ConsCompany focuses on bringing in new products instead of correcting the existing.

Advice to Senior Managementstep back and perform analysis.

Worked for Dealertrack Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Dealertrack Technologies Videos

Dealertrack Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Established in 2001, Dealertrack provides web-based software solutions and services to enhance efficiency and profitability for all major segments of the automotive retail industry, including dealers, lenders, OEMs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dealertrack Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dealertrack Technologies CEO Mark F. O'Neil. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Dealertrack Technologies employees.