Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Dealertrack Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mark F. O'Neil
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • Management is understanding of work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational (in 7 reviews)

• Overall Benefits below average compared to other companies of similar size in the Greater New York Area (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Forward Thinking Company with a Great Culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dealertrack is a face-paced, growing technology company that is transforming automotive retail. From day one I have been surrounded by positive energy and work with extremely talented team members who share a wealth of knowledge! The benefits are great and the perks are amazing. If you enjoy working hard and appreciate change, there is a lot of career opportunities and upward movement!

Cons

One challenge has been getting to know and understand all the products Dealertrack has to offer.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the hard work, your energy is contagious!

2. Good company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible work hours
    given time to research and get up to speed on new technologies
    no micro-manager
    can be very independent

Cons

health care coverage
    work can be slow at times..
    low career growth opportunities

3. Overall, Good Company

Current Employee - DMS Installer
    Current Employee - DMS Installer

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

Work with good people. Room for advancement.

Cons

Pay could be improved. Not always clear communication from management down. For traveling positions, not great home/life balance.

Dissatisfied

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

There were a few. But now there is very limited pros to this company. Asides from personal pros (such as location and tuition reimbursement) there is nothing positive that I can write about at this time.

Cons

The managers are difficult to co-exist with. I am sure this depends on the department you're applying for, but you'll be micromanaged and overworked.

The benefits are insanely expensive! Not entirly the fault of the company, but I certianly can't afford the family plan on my salary.

"Team members" are fustrated and can't stop talking about the merge. It is causing annoying drama and interfers with day to day operations. There is a lot of disorganization in major departments. Huge turn over. It is a revolving door.

Advice to Management

No advice from me...I am not here to fix management problems. I am just trying to be a positive non-manager who does my job well.

House of Cards Software Development

Current Employee - Senior Software Manager in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Manager in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, although several VPs and Human Resources team members resigned. This has created a lot of suspicion and mistrust. First year in many that there is no engagement survey. We believe it's because the leadership knows everyone is unhappy and has their resumes out there, especially in Tech and Services depts where there's leader turnover.

Cons

If you speak up you'll be ostracized. No trust in HR or exec team. "Just keep quiet, build software; no one asked you to think." Thanks RG.

Advice to Management

It's too late. You've let the company and the people down. You're loosing your best intellectual capital. You can replace people but the new people have no historical understanding of how and why things were done. Execs just pretend everything is fine. Horrible place. On my way out!

Senior software engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Limited telecommuting allowed. Plenty of work to go around. Plenty of opportunity to pick up a challenge and learn new things.

Cons

Minimal recognition by management, most technical managers lack technical experience in the current technologies. Salaries low, employees bear increasing cost of benefits. Value of benefits decreases every year. Company has evolved from an agile organization to a bureaucracy. Every project evolves into an emergency, mostly because of either poor business insight or constantly shifting priorities.

contract

Former Employee - Clerical in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Clerical in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent place to work, flexible hrs, great people

Cons

no growth, buddy system, bad pay, work until work is finished

9. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

very comfortable environment and nice people

Cons

maybe not as much opportunity to advance as had hoped

good people but

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people with that care about doing the right thing and support the company

Cons

grew to fast communication is a challenge for expectation for corporate office in NY to our division in Sacramento

Advice to Management

listen to subsidiaries more and be more flexible with processes.

Stay away or only stay for a few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, the best part of the position is a flexible work schedule in which you can work from home every so often. It is ok as a temporary place to achieve a few years of experience in a particular field.

Cons

There is no opportunity to advance. You'll be stuck in the position you started in for years unless you leave and come back starting out at a more senior level. Benefits are terrible. When they tell you that you have almost 3 weeks of vacation for the year, don't get excited. Those vacation days include sick leave. In other words, they do not provide sick days. You must use your vacation days if you are sick. You will have to pay 95% of medical costs out of pocket because the healthcare plan is terrible. The engineering department is run in an agile environment, which means your team is self-run. This also means no one is in charge and everyone is in charge all at the same time. This makes it difficult to get anything done because there is a lack of direction. The merger with Dealer.com is hard on DT folks as there is no training provided. You are thrown into unknown territory without a compass or map. These are just a few reasons why turnover rate here is extremely high. Most people have worked here for less than 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees to give them feedback and allow employees to speak their minds. Lead instead of sitting back and letting crap hit the fan. When everyone is putting in 110% already, don't tell employees they are not delivering enough just because a few numbers on a piece of paper doesn't reflect reality. Motivate and innovate instead of aggregating situations by breaking up teams or 'fixing' what isn't broken.

RSS Feed </> Embed