Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

Dealertrack Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mark F. O'Neil
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • Management is understanding of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational (in 5 reviews)

• Not sure upper management has really been in the rank and file (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you want a career in automotive software

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rapid growth good opportunity of advancement

Cons

Same pro as rapid growth via acquisition.

One of the best companies to work for on Long Island

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is understanding of work/life balance.
    Benefits are better then most companies I have worked for.
    Management lets their staff get there work done with little opposition or micro-management.

Cons

Office Space needs to be revamped (2 years till new building)
    Some staff and management suffer from over analysis.

One big mess

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is relatively good. Some good products.

Cons

Their focus is on acquiring companies that provide solutions to better the dealer body. Though this is a great vision. It is poorly executed and poorly managed. Once the company is acquired the integration of the company within DT is not done properly. There is tons of miscommunication, redundancy of work, and no one really knows what others are doing. Especially if you are a field employee.

Training is non-existent and management is really out for themselves. Its a shame. I did not feel "at home" here and am glad to have left.

Focus on creating a good culture and perhaps turn-over rate won't be as high.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I used to love being here.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies for more than 8 years

Pros

It is possible to get back on track in this company but leadership change is required.

Cons

We used to be a product focused, dealer oriented company and in a year we have become a sloppy, unresponsive and unmotivated software team. Product and development used to be partners. We used to develop features that made sense to the inventory market. We were innovative and passionate. Now it's just a job. There is no leadership that understands our customer and understands what our dealers need to succeed. Now our competitors benefit from listening to and learning from those that used to work here.

Please get back to who we were. Let's get back to being focused on what our customers want and need to run their businesses. Let's quit chasing the quick win and focus on being the best in the spaces we are in.

Extremely HORRIBLE! This is a "good old boy club" at the TOP! There are some original employees that RULE the business.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

DealerTrack has attracted some extremely good employees - They've also LOST a significant amount of these GOOD employees, due to the "work horse" style and burn out factor... This is the worst company to work for.

Cons

Senior Leadership - HORRIBLE!
    "DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO" mentality
    They will dismiss you at the snap of a finger --- Longevity (or a career) is NOT like to happen!
    Some SENIOR leaders are bow to the demands of other "LEADERS" because they too are fearful of losing their status.

Change your leadership

much potential falls very short...hugely missed opportunity to be a great company

Former Employee - Corporate  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

some work flexibility, good compensation

Cons

management very disconnected from staff. Appears many in management can't or don't understand the technology and/or what it takes to build it and attempt to have the bean counters manage it. They have missed the point entirely and seem to quantify their attempts at communication rather than actually communicate and listen and respond meaningfully. Not sure upper management has really been in the rank and file. Also, Terrible on-boarding of new or acquired personnel.

do a role swap. make the attempt to understand both sides of the equation. It will be a true eye opener...that is if they really want to see. also try adding some cultural diversity at the C and sub C level.

Good company if you are not in IT

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Great coworkers. Pretty flexible with hours. If your field is not technologically based I would recommend Dealertrack.

Cons

Dealertrack is not a technology company. They acquire technology companies. Technological decisions are made by management and not by the engineers. Bad practices/solutions will be decided on by management and will be implemented by technology, Not a fun place if you like being creative or designing the best solutions.

Leave the engineering to the engineers.

A job not a career

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dealertrack has cash and they are buying a number of companies. DT has had spotty success in making these acquisitions successful; however, the overall vision is sound.

Cons

*If you accept a position with DT be ready to embrace change or you will have a tough time. *DT recently began to focus on acquiring individuals from other companies which has left little room for upward movement.
    *Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational. My advice here is to accept it and move on.
    *DT has struggled with the service aspect of the business and today service is a primary focus of the sales team.
    *DT roughly doubled their sales presence in the field with 2014. Their will be significant attrition due in part to the sheer numbers of new employees and the changing role of sales to sales/service.

A CEO surrounds himself with a team of individuals who become a direct reflection of the CEO. If a CEO truly wants to understand their business they should seek to do that outside the scope of the filter of their direct reports.

Fast-growing company with great benefits, grueling work schedule, no work/life balance.

Current Employee - Field Installer  in  South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Field Installer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rapid promotions, but considering the unpaid overtime, you are actually taking a pay cut to move to a lead position. Excellent 401k plan and employer contribution %, but contribution is limited to 40 hrs/week (you regularly work 60+ hrs/week). Excellent health/benefits plan that is almost impossible to use due to the demanding work schedule.
    Well organized and flexible travel dept. Frequent schools/training - unfortunately often inadequate/ineffective for real-world application. Strong bonus based on company performance (not individual contribution). Public recognition of top performers but no money to go with it.

Cons

Mediocre pay and small increases. Untenable work hours/expectation (consistently 60+/week). No respect for your personal time (you are expected to respond even when off duty), or needs (Dr/DDS appt, sick time, family, community service/volunteer work. etc). The company touts work/life balance but runs you 60+ hours a week, every week; Sunday travel nearly every week, usually returning home late Friday eve, you may get 36 hours at home before the next trip. The company has no concern for your health/stress or personal life/obligations/goals. Huge discrepancy between the treatment of home office personnel and field personnel. Overtime is paid at 1/2 time (not 1.5x) and you are expected to participate in after-hours webinars, meetings, and self-training without pay.

Respect your people as human beings (just like you). They have lives outside of Dealertrack

Support Specialist

Current Employee - Client Support Agent  in  Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Client Support Agent in Remote, OR

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits

Cons

Pay is a little low.

Worked for Dealertrack Technologies? Contribute to the Community!