Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Reset

1. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

very comfortable environment and nice people

Cons

maybe not as much opportunity to advance as had hoped

Senior software engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Limited telecommuting allowed. Plenty of work to go around. Plenty of opportunity to pick up a challenge and learn new things.

Cons

Minimal recognition by management, most technical managers lack technical experience in the current technologies. Salaries low, employees bear increasing cost of benefits. Value of benefits decreases every year. Company has evolved from an agile organization to a bureaucracy. Every project evolves into an emergency, mostly because of either poor business insight or constantly shifting priorities.

good people but

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people with that care about doing the right thing and support the company

Cons

grew to fast communication is a challenge for expectation for corporate office in NY to our division in Sacramento

Advice to Management

listen to subsidiaries more and be more flexible with processes.

5. Dealertrack

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

Pros

Dealertrack really takes the time to take care of it's employees and make sure that they feel appreciated and relaxed. Great wellness program!

Cons

Not a whole lot to say here. The company is great but my department is such a miniscule part of the company that it struggles. I don't feel like I have room to advance.

House of Cards Software Development

Current Employee - Senior Software Manager in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Manager in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, although several VPs and Human Resources team members resigned. This has created a lot of suspicion and mistrust. First year in many that there is no engagement survey. We believe it's because the leadership knows everyone is unhappy and has their resumes out there, especially in Tech and Services depts where there's leader turnover.

Cons

If you speak up you'll be ostracized. No trust in HR or exec team. "Just keep quiet, build software; no one asked you to think." Thanks RG.

Advice to Management

It's too late. You've let the company and the people down. You're loosing your best intellectual capital. You can replace people but the new people have no historical understanding of how and why things were done. Execs just pretend everything is fine. Horrible place. On my way out!

Not yet "One Dealertrack"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Groton, CT

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of promotion from within/opportunities to advance. People are really great to work with, good sense of community in my office.

Cons

Software company experiencing growing pains and lots of change which makes doing your job difficult. Lots of silos, people don't know what other people are doing and are not on the same page.

Not bad, but not good

Current Employee - Collateral Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Collateral Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good size break room with Avanti Market (a little market that sells snacks, energy drinks, etc.) - Good bathrooms & usually clean (automatic soap dispensers, automatic sinks, automatic toilets) - Usually flexible schedules (depends on where you work, but most supervisors will work with you on your schedule if the job permits). It's also pretty easy to request a day or two off as long as you get approval from a supervisor (& in most cases you will). - 15 minute breaks, instead of the usual 10 minutes (unless this has changed for all CA jobs) - If you apply to another position internally, they will interview internal employees first. - You can usually dress casually as long as it is appropriate and there are no clients visiting. - Audit on a regular basis and one-on-one with supervisors. Although this doesn't sound like it should be a pro (for some of us), it actually helps employees grow, learn and improve from their mistakes.

Cons

- You have to use a locker. No cell phones at your desk (even in cases of emergencies), no snacks/food (including your lunch), no opened drinks with no lids. Everytime you go on break or lunch, you have to walk to your locker to get what you need. They also plan to remove all drawers from desks, if they haven't already, so basically all you will have at your desk is the computer, mouse & whatever decor you put on your cubicle. - Bad or "old school" training. There is nothing really set up to train you. You literally sit next to someone & they just tell you what to do. There's usually a lot of questions & confusion and it depends on who you are training with to determine how much knowledge you will get. There is not really any real training materials, training class or anything like that. Also, they only train you on your specific position, so you will have no idea who does what and, personally, I feel it's important that they train everyone on this because you will soon learn that every single position/job depend on each other so if you aren't even trained on the company overview as a whole or who does what job, you will often be very confused or unsure & they just expect you to find out as you go. - There's no real trust within each other in the company and very little appreciation in employees. Personally, I felt that the company had very little trust in their employees or each other because during my time there I felt upper management was more worried about their own security from their employees than the appreciating the employees. The only little 'token' of appreciation was an email every other month congratulating a team member for being a "star". I worked here before Dealertrack Technologies acquired the company, previously known as FDI, & while under FDI, we used to get $50 gift cards, frontline parking, a trophy, etc. When Dealertrack acquired FDI, it switched to just the simple email :( - Very low pay. Compared to many companies nowadays, this company pays very very little. I believe the lowest position starts at $9.50 and the highest is $16 or so. There's also salary caps so if you are under a certain position, you can cap out if you have reached the highest salary for your range. Even Team Leads get paid very little (roughly $13-$16). - Some very unprofessional management. I've heard some managers use profanity and unprofessional language. - Hard to promote or advance. There's really no where to advance. There are SOME advancement opportunities but a lot of times, you basically reach the highest level (still very little pay) and just have to quit and find a new job because although there are other positions, those positions usually don't hire often so you would either have to wait a very long time or just find a new job.

Advice to Management

- Show a little more appreciation for employees that deserve it - Please work on actual training classes or materials for new hires; including training new hires on the company as a whole and going through all the positions and explaining who does what and if the new employee's job will be working with certain departments, etc. because the employee starts, it gets a little confusing when you don't know who does what so it's harder to learn because everyone's position depends on each other. - The HR team needs to be more proactive. Alot of employees don't know what is acceptable, what they should do in certain cases, etc. and if their supervisor isn't available, they need to be able to access this information. I strongly believe that an HR Portal needs to be designed and updated regularly so employees can get the information they need. While there, I always had to ask my supervisor or just other employees & most of the time I would get different answers so it'll be extremely beneficial if there was a portal in which employees can access all this information.

contract

Former Employee - Clerical in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Clerical in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent place to work, flexible hrs, great people

Cons

no growth, buddy system, bad pay, work until work is finished

Staff Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Accountant in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, bonuses, and benefits.

Cons

Management hated each other and the fighting trickled down to everyone. No direction.

Good company to grow with

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, flexible work schedule, great paid time off, and it's a tech company.

Cons

Horrible health benefits, stressful work environment, acquiring companies at a rapid pace, and changing constantly.

RSS Feed </> Embed