Dealogic Reviews

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.8

Thomas A. Fleming

Pros
  • We do overtime really rarely, so do work-life balance is good in this office (in 14 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, non stressful work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pitiful low salaries comparing within industries, and even non-finance jobs (in 10 reviews)

• What happens when you have high turnover of lower roles (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great ideas poor execution.

I worked at Dealogic

Pros

Lots of talk about innovation

Cons

Still waiting to see what that means.

Listen to clients and not your own beliefs in what the market wants.

Great company great people

I have been working at Dealogic full-time

Pros

Access to senior management at banks, great work life balance, fun young people

Cons

Turnover amongst employees, can be a competitive environment

Low paying but good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Dealogic

Pros

Good working environment, young company in general, small company where your voice is heard. Dynamic atmosphere, company sponsored events and team building. Fun working environment.

Cons

Pay is less than you can get at other companies in financial software and services. Strategy shifts continually making it difficult to meet expectations or goals. Clients can be demanding without much guidance from senior staff.

Company culture is the root of its problem

I worked at Dealogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good networking opptys with internal and external resources, experience dealing with financial companies for those who are unaware of how these organizations work (fortunately or unfortunately)

Cons

Compensation is crap compared to like positions in the marketplace. This isn't 2008 anymore, wake up - the market is booming and you need to pay more to get better quality people! Quality is crap because maturity and experience level of the average employee is low and therefore can be paid at that level.

Middle and Upper managerial staff is mired in internal politicking and a "blame first, ask questions later" company culture. No introspection other than occasional town halls (seen as unnecessary, since everyone knows there's no real effort to fix the things that really matter) This causes massive dissat and turnover on a yearly basis. No one is exempt. The only ones staying are the ones making the rules and benefiting from those rules.

ICM NY is the major culprit - many staff members attempt to move out of that dept as soon as they join. The trickle down fallout from the lack of accountability and quality from ICM (and to some degree in the last year, ECM) has huge negative repercussions on the people dedicating their time to try to salvage client relationships (technical and business) as well as deteriorating internal teamwork efforts. It's a "CYA or be squashed" world. Be assured, there are good people at Dealogic, but undue situational stress causes most resources to pass the buck and throw blame on other people/teams just save their hide.

Not worth it.

See above. Not that things will change.

You can do better.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dealogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

OK work/life balance.

I don't consider free fruit a pro.

You will learn the basics about finance. You will also learn how horrible a company can be; it will make you appreciate your future positions/companies much more.

Cons

In general, employees are not happy. This stems from a lack of incentive structure and positive reinforcement. These are basic economic and psychological principles of which any solid management team should make use. If you treat your employees well, commend and reward a job well done, and incentivize desired behavior, you will have happier and more productive employees. In turn, this will increase employee satisfaction and decrease turnover.

Senior Management creates a stuffy atmosphere. Fear and paranoia are rampant. Employees are afraid to speak up and voice opinions - and rightfully so.

I'm not assuming that this happens frequently, but my personal experience was this: after reporting an instance of sexual harassment, I found myself in a very bad place. Rather than reporting the incident to Human Resources, over the coming months my manager did everything in his power to push me out or drive me to resign. I suppose the reasoning was not to solve the problem, but to eliminate the cause.This was a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Leaving was the best decision I ever made - I'm now happily working for a fantastic (competitor) company. If you're a current employee, learn your lesson and get out.

To Do List:

*Establish a Management Training Program
    *Build an incentive structure
    *Reinforce desired behavior

Better Competitor Firms Out There

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Dealogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big kitchen, free fruit in office once a week, holiday pay, financial district location

Cons

Work life balance is terrible if you work in the ICM, institutional client management group. Managers don't help much in this regard. They're looking to use you for their performance bonus as a senior relationship associate. Managers themselves aren't knowledgeable about the basics of the group's products after being at the company for nearly 2 years! But expect you to be experts in 3 weeks literally! Many managers here spend most of their work hours browsing the net and making personal calls, taking 1.5 to 2 hour lunches with friends. Stay away from this group.

Products are faulty and not something to be proud of. Pay is low around $40k only. It's low compared to what you can get at competitors like IPREO, Standard and Poors, Factset, BD vision, Bloomberg and Reuters. The amount of demands management puts on you isn't fairly compensated in the salaries and there are NO bonuses here, compared to other firms that offer quarterly bonuses.

No one moves from their desks until 6pm, AND if you're lucky you'll get out by then. If you leave before 6pm, you're looked down on. The products have MANY glitches and errors every single week, and clients are NOT at all happy clients to work with therefore. You'll spend most hours hearing clients being rude to you on the phone or email. Some colleagues here are nice and decent people, but others are very unprofessional and DRAMATIC unnecessarily.

All in all, best to look elsewhere as many better opportunities are lie elsewhere. I moved on after several months of horrible work life balance here and unfair and aggressively opportunistic but lazy managers in the ICM group.

Don't be lazy. spend your work time working and not using people on your team to prop up your own salaries. LEARN THE PRODUCTS.

Researcher

I worked at Dealogic

Pros

Things Free Fruit Mondays AND Wednesdays (during summer)

Cons

Company structure could be better

Just a Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Dealogic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, non stressful work environment.

Cons

No room for growth. Repetitive, tedious work.

Easy Going and decent salary

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Dealogic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy tasks.
    Laid back environment.
    Decent pay.
    Good paid leave time.
    Annual bonuses

Cons

Can get boring at times due to it being a large company with plenty of employees to fulfill the work.
    This means small and medial tasks.

Good employees leave, or are looking forward to

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dealogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to get work experience. Some nice people to work with.

Cons

High turnover. The employees working 10+ years were transferred and are stuck in a visa.
    Nano-management.

A rotten apple spoils the barrel; give a closer look at the teams.

Dealogic Photos