Dean Health Systems Reviews

1.5
Craig Samitt

Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dean Clinic offered exceptional benefits when I was there. I don't know how things may change in the future now that they have been bought by SSM

Cons

Seems things have gone backward since the merger. Superstar CEO and most of senior leadership left, so company lost momentum on some great strategic initiatives.

Don't change the culture. It was really good before the merger.

I totally disagree

Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can think of no pros because this organization is the worst i could imagine it to be. I am being so wordy because of goofy requirements on this website. Enough with the minimum requirements already some things can only be said in a few words.

Cons

Ok first and foremost this site needs serious work. It doesn't even provide a way to see your reviews or pending reviews. I wrote a one on here and when I submitted it asked me to create an account. After doing so and activating it didn't tell me if review took and i see review isn't posted yet so i must assume i wasted my time. The incompetence these days is unbelievable. As I mentioned in other reviews Dean is bad. The management is corrupt at top as well as bottom and they like it that way. They're in violation of many things which I don't care to discuss given the nature and severity of them. They push the buck on almost everything and see how far they can get before an individual or the government will challenge them in court. They assume no one will and are very gutsy and bold. The three star and above reviews on here sound like MANAGEMENT THEMSELVES from Dean attempting to raise the average. I am convinced many of the problems stem from upper management and are being replayed by lower. One other review on here hit it on the head about them behaving like children. It is a very juvenile atmosphere with much drama and power hungry people which makes no sense considering what else is out there. I don't fully understand that level of arrogance I mean it is Dean and in Wisconsin wake up already. I've witnessed politicians in Washington behave less corrupt and arrogant.

Very poor accountability in place for managers; many don't take the time or interest to invest in their employees.

Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many friendly coworkers who genuinly care about the people they care for.

Cons

Poor management
    Disrespect for employees
    Poor distribution of workloads

Take a good look at mid-management and ruthlessly make some changes. Poor leadership, lack of respect, and lack of accountability. Employees are fearful to voice their real thoughts because they are aware of high, negative retaliation.

Unit Clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The few coworkers who took pride in their work and helping patients. Insurance kicks in on day one of employment.

Cons

Two faced power hungry management, lack of care about department. It felt a lot like high school, and a lot of drama.

Listen to your employees, and don't treat them as if they are expendable. Most employees want to be there if you make an effort to hear their concerns, otherwise they will find something better. Act like professionals.

6. Overworked, under appreciated

Former Employee - Mid Level Provider in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Mid Level Provider in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, potential for some schedule flexibility depending on position

Cons

chronically understaffed, focus more on cost savings than patient care, generous earned time BUT inadequate coverage to utilize; conflict off interest when health insurance and medical center linked to physician's pockets

listen to employees, healthcare is not black and white- lots of gray

awful

Former Contractor - IT Contractor in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - IT Contractor in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Big time management problems here. Very high turnover and very cruel management

They're not listening and won't listen. If you want to play devil's advocate then fine. My advice is change your ways soon or one day you won't have staff at all.

Dean Health Plan - Absent Leadership

Former Employee - Finance in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Finance in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time

Pros

Low pressure. Often non-confrontational. Dominant within market.

Cons

Many employees continue in their tasks putting in 1-2 hours of real work per day. Huge issues with management being unaware/unaccepting of the reality of low employee productivity. Conflicts of interest tolerated within reporting relationships. Many spend time gossipping, on the phone, shopping, visiting, or away from the job. Accountability is not there - for those workers or for the leaders who tolerate it. Workloads are poorly distributed, with those who are favored having far less. Some employees apparently set their own hours daily, wear what they please, and spend most of their days talking. Somehow the work gets done but not due to the interest or participation of leadership. Many employees could be let go today with tremendous savings to the plan - and productivity would actually increase because they wouldn't be there dragging down the real workers.

Engage. Spend some time and do an analysis of staffing and who does what, who is cooperative and positive, and who is poisonous. Weed out those who are bad rather than ignoring or promoting. Don't be so disengaged and unaware of this; instead, cull the workforce and promote performers.

9. A place of growth and learning

Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems

Pros

Ultimate goal of being patient centered makes me proud of the work that is done.
    Very much a team approach to the work done.
    The voice of all employees at all levels is heard when looking at improving processes

Cons

Our patient population is heavy MA and Medicare which reimburses us very little for services. This forces the organization to be very focused on cost and constantly balancing expenditures. Not necessarily something that is in Deans control, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to spend more on things such as employee events, furniture, staffing.

10. The culture is changing with negative impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems

Pros

The people are great.
    The challenges are real and direct impact is recognized
    The benefits are good even though they have changed recently.

Cons

Lack of leadership and "after the fact" communication
    Lack of training and motivation to ensure training is provided
    Overloading projects on to too few resources

Upper management might want to start questioning why they are always hearing "yes" when statistically that should not be possible.

Disappointing

I worked at Dean Health Systems

Pros

The people are great.
    Great benefits.
    Nice corporate culture.

Cons

Penny wise and pound foolish.
    Newer additions to IT management lack any ability to lead.
    Too much of a Good Old Boys network seems to be forming (which directly relates to item 2).

Try to get some honest feedback from those in IT about the state of things there. It will likely need to be anonymous as there is fear of retribution if a honest opinion is shared.