Dean Health Systems

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
2.3

Craig Samitt

Temporary CSR involved in outbound calling campaign

I worked at Dean Health Systems

Pros

Strong training program
    Collegial environment
    Generally pleasant co-workers

Cons

Call center position
    No advancement opportunities

RN

I have been working at Dean Health Systems part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefit package is very good

Cons

communication from managment is not good

Amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Business Office
    Former Employee - Business Office

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are above what you will find at other companies. The earned time off accrual is more than fair, the insurance covers well and deductibles are reasonable, retirement, STD, and various partnership discounts are available as well.

Cons

There have been many changes due to the merger with SSM, but still appears to be a good company to work for.

Keep up the great work.

Acquisitions Done Poorly Destroy Companies

I have been working at Dean Health Systems (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dean Health System used to be a good place to work before it was acquired by SSM Health. I worked with a lot of good people.

Cons

The majority of my coworkers that I talk to are struggling with the changes in about every aspect of the company that are being sent down from our new parent company. Morale is low and why wouldn't it be when the attitude from SSM is it is our way or the highway. Many good people that I worked with have chosen the latter.

I think the truly disheartening part of the process is that prior to the actual purchase, the attitude presented by management at both Dean and SSM is that Dean and the SSM WI region is the only part of the company making money and therefore they wanted to take all of the good things that we were doing here and put them in the rest of the regions. Dean would stay a for profit, no religious entity of SSM and the efficiencies and good ideas here would be shared to the rest of the company. Unfortunately, that has all been a lie put on by top levels of management to make the sale go through.

The culture at Dean has been stripped, we are basically a religious company where a prayer is said before corporate meetings, and any ideas that staff at Dean come up with are met with a 'you are a small part of the company so you will do it our way' attitude whether or not their way is the best option.

Benefits at Dean are not that great. One would think that insurance rates for medical coverage would be great for people working at a health care provider that owns the insurance company which is your only choice for coverage, but often we are paying more for that coverage than people at other companies in the region. On top of than, now that SSM owns the company, we are moving towards being fined if you want to put your spouse on your coverage.

To me, this doesn't make a lot of sense because I would want my employees to want to be covered by the service we sell. Now people ask and I say I don't have our coverage because I can't afford it, I am fined to put my wife on my coverage and some things aren't covered because of religions believes. I we shipped packages I might understand it, but since our product is health care, I would think they would do everything they could so that their employees actually wanted to be covered by them...

To me, it is similar to if a Ford employee went to a Ford dealer and wanted to buy a car, only to be told we are going to charge your more than the random guy off the street, oh, and if your spouse wants one, then we are going to fine you even more. How many Ford employees would drive a Ford to work if that were the case?

WAS a wonderful encouraging place

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant/Research Clerk in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant/Research Clerk in Middleton, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great friends made. Most everyone has a pretty good understanding of what they need to give to the Administration portion of the Foundation Employees to complete their work.

Cons

Foundation has no place to advance to. Pay has decreased and 401K contributions taken away.
    We are watching it become a weaker and weaker company. And we are paying the price for it.; The leadership is letting us pay the price. No apologies. No offers of other jobs.

I totally disagree

Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can think of no pros because this organization is the worst i could imagine it to be. I am being so wordy because of goofy requirements on this website. Enough with the minimum requirements already some things can only be said in a few words.

Cons

Ok first and foremost this site needs serious work. It doesn't even provide a way to see your reviews or pending reviews. I wrote a one on here and when I submitted it asked me to create an account. After doing so and activating it didn't tell me if review took and i see review isn't posted yet so i must assume i wasted my time. The incompetence these days is unbelievable. As I mentioned in other reviews Dean is bad. The management is corrupt at top as well as bottom and they like it that way. They're in violation of many things which I don't care to discuss given the nature and severity of them. They push the buck on almost everything and see how far they can get before an individual or the government will challenge them in court. They assume no one will and are very gutsy and bold. The three star and above reviews on here sound like MANAGEMENT THEMSELVES from Dean attempting to raise the average. I am convinced many of the problems stem from upper management and are being replayed by lower. One other review on here hit it on the head about them behaving like children. It is a very juvenile atmosphere with much drama and power hungry people which makes no sense considering what else is out there. I don't fully understand that level of arrogance I mean it is Dean and in Wisconsin wake up already. I've witnessed politicians in Washington behave less corrupt and arrogant.

Once great, now not so much

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Coworkers are generally positive and loyal toward one another. I've had the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and develop solid skill set.

Cons

Work-life balance stinks. My experience with mid-level management is that they're either over-bearing or woefully incompetent. The once fairly positive culture is now muddied since the merger with SSM.

Very poor accountability in place for managers; many don't take the time or interest to invest in their employees.

Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many friendly coworkers who genuinly care about the people they care for.

Cons

Poor management
    Disrespect for employees
    Poor distribution of workloads

Take a good look at mid-management and ruthlessly make some changes. Poor leadership, lack of respect, and lack of accountability. Employees are fearful to voice their real thoughts because they are aware of high, negative retaliation.

Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dean Clinic offered exceptional benefits when I was there. I don't know how things may change in the future now that they have been bought by SSM

Cons

Seems things have gone backward since the merger. Superstar CEO and most of senior leadership left, so company lost momentum on some great strategic initiatives.

Don't change the culture. It was really good before the merger.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Dean Health Systems

Pros

Great group of people. Benefits are good.

Cons

Insurance could be better.

None